Ladies: Why so catty?

Options

Replies

• ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters, it is all about competition and insecurity. I have found that my female friendships seem to dwindle the more successful I am. For example, when I lost a lot of weight before, I suddenly found that my friends (even those who were not overweight) started acting catty with me. It really hurt my feelings. I have also heard women who just seem to get a great deal of enjoymend when their female friends fail at something. It is really sad. I don't know if it's just because I was always a tomboy, but I am really more comfortable around men.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I think for some women it is a way to bond! Men bond over sports, drinking beer, and scratching their balls. Women use talking about other women as a way to bond and feel part of the group, it's a way to feel out if other women think like they do. I notice it seems to get better as we get older, then we can connect with other women about marriage, having children, etc.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Social evolution.
    Men used to deal with conflicts outside the family(hunting, business) and women dealt with conflicts within the family(children, neighbors).
    The lines have blurred now, but that's the way it was thousands of years ago.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I think for some women it is a way to bond! Men bond over sports, drinking beer, and scratching their balls. Women use talking about other women as a way to bond and feel part of the group, it's a way to feel out if other women think like they do. I notice it seems to get better as we get older, then we can connect with other women about marriage, having children, etc.

You are so right. I get together with the guys every Tuesday night for some great ball scratching. Scratch that. Basketball is Tuesday night. Ball scratching is Friday.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I think women who are similar to each other (personality wise) tend to get along better (because they disagree less, so no one has to be wrong). They also tend to be able to affirm the other person without feeling like they themselves are less... so they both are reinforced, know that they are "good "This or that" in each others eyes. When they feel accepted, they are less likely to bring out their own claws, and take criticism with humor.

There is this weird issue going on in my class. There is this female who draws attention to herself, and has practically mated with one guy in our class. They are always grabbing on each other. We had to do skills testing in the same group... a couple classes later when practicing, she said "anyone want to practice with me", and I could have sworn it was me she looked at (99% sure) and she said "not you you make me nervous".... this is a comment I totally don't get since I barely talk to her.

Another class she was in my group again. You have to go up and perform skills in front of the group. I didn't really volunteer. Kind of hoped to go last. I felt bad around her based on what she said. Then she says to me "aren't you going to participate?" like she's my boss. Being the noncontroversial person I am, I am not sure what I said but I didn't exactly counter/confront her.

I don't really get what she is doing but her motivation is weird. I pretty much leave her alone but she feels like saying these bossy/rude comments.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options

yea, I sit around with my male friends scratching our balls and comparing ball sweat smell. Thats exactly what we do.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was cause women are crazy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    For women it's habitual. It's starts in the teens. Have you seen what these teen girls do to each other with texts? And I know growing up, girls back then in my junior high were the same as girls in junior high now.

Must be because they have to one up each other.
  • _beachgirl_
    Options

You are so right. I get together with the guys every Tuesday night for some great ball scratching. Scratch that. Basketball is Tuesday night. Ball scratching is Friday.

And they say women are catty? :wink:
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    For women it's habitual. It's starts in the teens. Have you seen what these teen girls do to each other with texts? And I know growing up, girls back then in my junior high were the same as girls in junior high now.

Must be because they have to one up each other.

I'm constantly trying to figure out how to make sure my daughter doesn't fall in with this behavior, because I think we're all better than that.
  • VemmaMom
    VemmaMom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    wow you are so right and I think that alot of women actually feel lesser than or they are jealous so they have to make another female feel lesser than. Sometimes its too their face and sometimes behind their backs. Its so petty but there will always be those who cant just be happy with themselves..ya know.????
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they are less likely to just throw down because of their manicures? :laugh: :tongue:

dude, why don't you go put on a shirt? stop showing off. you're probably such a slut.
  • Iamfit4life
    Options
    Perhaps they are less likely to just throw down because of their manicures? :laugh: :tongue:

dude, why don't you go put on a shirt? stop showing off. you're probably such a slut.

Maybe you should follow.....

oh wait
    I see what you did there.
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    you being a woman, wouldnt you know the answer already?

oh yea, its definitly low self esteem. Confident woman I know from fact dont feel the need to get caught up in such behavior

Lol no. Just because we're women doesn't mean we understand the how's and why's of each other's behavior. I will, however, go out on a limb and say you are right. There are plenty of women who "appear" confident that talk a lot of smack behind another's back because they feel threatened by them but the TRULY confident ones are mature enough to just let it go and move along to things that actually deserve their attention. I'm working on that one there........
  • MFPAddict
    Options

Not being catty, just some teasing. :smooched:
  • _beachgirl_
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Not being catty, just some teasing. :smooched:

Duh! What do you think I was doing?
  • MFPAddict
    Options

Yes, your jeans make your butt look big!!!

And that tie is SOOOO last year.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters, it is all about competition and insecurity. I have found that my female friendships seem to dwindle the more successful I am. For example, when I lost a lot of weight before, I suddenly found that my friends (even those who were not overweight) started acting catty with me. It really hurt my feelings. I have also heard women who just seem to get a great deal of enjoymend when their female friends fail at something. It is really sad. I don't know if it's just because I was always a tomboy, but I am really more comfortable around men.

THIS.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Or the words out of my fingers on the keyboard, lol. I've always said I am a gay man in a female body. I too prefer men to women.
    Plus everyone hates the skinny b1tch. :frown:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

Yes, your jeans make your butt look big!!!

And that tie is SOOOO last year.

Man_Crying.jpg
  • Iamfit4life
    Options

THIS.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Or the words out of my fingers on the keyboard, lol. I've always said I am a gay man in a female body. I too prefer men to women.
    Plus everyone hates the skinny b1tch. :frown:

Perfect example. What term did you just use?