200+ Hot For Halloween!

Options

Replies

• pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Pam - you have the right idea. Starvation mode isn't as much of a problem for more overweight people. The closer you get to your goal, the more you will have to adjust. I feel that some people are not truthful in what they record and overestimate their cals burned. You need to do what works best for you. I don't track sugar since most of mine comes from fruit and is way over the MFP recommendations. My philosophy is slow and steady wins the race and you will be more likely to keep it off.
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers so far! I'm genuinely curious about how everyone else does it....I used to think I knew everything I needed to know about weight loss, but the more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know. I've been freaking out lately on days that I work out and my net is way under what I think it should be, and then I watch Biggest Loser and think "why am I worrying about this?"

The really frustrating thing is that my body is not at all consistant. I can eat 2,000 + calories and lose weight the next day, or I can have net calories of 1200 - 1400 for several days in a row and my body will hang on to every ounce. For so long I've heard "it's just calories in vs. calories out...so simple!," but I'm not really finding that to necessarily be the case. So far the only thing that seems to work for me is a kind of zig zag with one or two days of high calories...I just keep trying to find the "sweet spot" of calories I need to eat on most days to have a consistant loss though.

I had another minor freak out about the sugar thing this morning too, but after hearing from you guys I think I'll put that one at the bottom of my list of things to worry about. :smile:
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Lacey - I love that wobbly feeling; it feels like success, I guess. I'm glad your inhaler helped. Hosanna - Poor puppy! I can't clip Chuck's nails, because he hates having his paws touched at all. The vet can't even do it without sedating him; if I'm really patient with him, I can use one of those nail sander things on him, but we're talking hours and hours because I can get one nail done, and then he's had enough of it.

Amy - Glad it's not falling off. :P Kids can be so dramatic about blood. (Haha, I know a lot of adults the same way, I guess.)

Pam - I believe how it works is that if you starve yourself you will, in fact, lose weight, but when you start eating your body will hang on to everything it can because you're no longer "starving" so it's preparing for the next time. Even if they keep it up for years, it's doing more damage than good to their body, and it will take it's toll eventually. As far as the sugar goes, are you in reference to carbs in general? Because things will show up as sugar, fiber, and other in a breakdown of carbs - don't worry too much about the fiber carbs, but limiting your sugar carbs can be really, really helpful. Fruit is good in moderation, but we're just not built to process that much sugar, and including in the carbs in things like breads and pastas, it's easy to overdo it.

Kendal - I love the pink picture. :)

Sarah - Haha working with your kids has to be interesting. :P What is it that you do? I've somehow missed this. Also, happy late birthday to your little girl!

After my majorly sucktastic day yesterday, I got a phone call from the pet store owner, who gives me his angora bunny fur and his samoyed fur for spinning into yarn. He has a male and a female angora bunny, and he doesn't have the time to keep up with their grooming (it's a pet store, toy store, art gallery, kids' clothing store, book store, AND a little sandwich/coffee shop thing... he's a busy busy man) so he wanted to know if i wanted them. Um, YES! So, I get two free little bunnies, and I'm doing a crash course in bunny care last night and today so I can pick them up later. I was going to wait to get them after work, but I think with it being right across the street, I'll nab them at lunch and they can hang out here with me. (I've, at various points in time, had a dog, 4 cockatiels, and 2 parakeets down here, so bunnies are just kind of par for the course at this point.)

Both Nerd and I seem to have caught some kind of stomach virus. It's not to terrible; some upset stomach and a general sour feeling, along with a pretty huge loss of appetite, but no vomitting or anything so not the end of the world.
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    I did not go to bed when I said I was going to last night, but I still managed to stay out of the kitchen and didn't eat anything else (although I did wake up hungry!). The scale was nicer to me this morning.

I'm going to have to double up one day this week and go to the gym and walk Lexi on the same day. I'm thinking that will have to happen on Saturday. I haven't worked out since Saturday and that was a half a s s attempt and I didn't even break a sweat.

Friday my bff and I are going to see Uncle Kracker at a bar. Woohoo!
  • wigglentwink
    wigglentwink Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Jessi: I am a stay-at-home Mommy. So, some would say I don't do anything...where others know better. :wink:
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Here you go ladies:

Name, starting challenge weight (or your first weight in the challenge), last week's weight. this week's weight (difference)

Kristina 200.4 199 200.6 (+1.6)
    Victoria 194.5 193.25 192.75 (-0.5)
    Kendal 214.4 pass 215.2
    Lacey 210 pass pass
    Amy 188.4 pass 193
    Kerry 164 164 163.7 (-0.3)
    Hailie 252.6 250.9 250 (-0.9)
    Nava 228.6 231.2 230.6 (-0.6)
    gonnadoitjenn 305.8 307.8 307.8 (0)
    Pam 215.8 217 213.2 (-3.8)
    wigglentwink 185 181.8 180 (-1.8)
    silver02bullet 206 208.2 211 (+2.8)
    Bobbie (k2quiere) 316.2 312.4 309 (-3,4)
    Hosanna (babyworms) 220.7 218.5 216.7 (-1.9)
    ladyg0915 275 272 267 (-5.0)
    Sarah (rainvc) 234.8 pass 234.1
    Katheryne 281.8 281 279.8 (-1.2)
    qofsheba 193 192 191 (-1.0)
    jessikerlaine 279.6 265.1 264.2 (-0.9)
    Annette 181 179 178 (-1.0)
    Jane (meerkat70) 263 256 253.6 (-2.4)
    Apryl 177 176.6 171.6 (-5.0)
    NatalieGabriel 153 154.2 152 (-1.8)
    alaskagirl5 105.6 ? 105.6
    earthsember 217 ? 214
    Crystal 216 219 217 (-2.0)
    Tasha (pancakesmajor) 217 214.8 214.4 (-0.4)
    joy (joybell32) 242 ? 240
    navallez 221 218.8 213.7 (-5.1)
    wowmama 220 219.8 (-0.2)

(sorry for the potential formatting ugliness)

this week's winner is navallez with a 5.1 pound loss! In a VERY close second with 5.0 pounds lost were Apryl and lady g0915. Nice job!
  • WoWmamaErin
    WoWmamaErin Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Gratz on the losses ladies! I hope to pull off a bigger loss this week but I'm not weighing myself until Saturday! It's so hard but it was becoming really quite obsessive and a bit destructive for me.
  • anvy0530
    anvy0530 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Kristina: Thanks for leaving off the +4.6 pounds :bigsmile: I'll get my crap together this week and turn that + into a -.

Sarah: I'd be one of those ones who KNOW better (hardest job I've ever had - and that includes my time in the military).

Kendal: Uncle Kraker rules!!!

Jessi: Free bunnies!!! That's so cool. The Kid has been bugging me for a bunny but I just don't see that happening until we get back to The States.

I have got a headache from hell. Seriously. My head hurt yesterday but today it feels about ready to explode. I think I'm allergic to biochemistry - it didn't start hurting until I did my coursework today. Boo.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Food goal for the day: to eat when I am hungry and not eat a bunch of empty calories. I am struggling with counting cals and the stress of it. I liked not having that stress feeling when I was in Europe.

Exercise goal for the day: cardio X I think. I need to MOVE this week.

I am going to order some pants from athleta.com.
  • Laceylala
    Options
    Bunnies are cute. Until you don't take super good care of them. Like I mean super duper good care of them. And then are not so cute anymore. I had two of them at one time. I didn't change the cage once for a few days for some reason and when I got my one bunny out to hold it I noticed she had worms or magets or something crawling all over her underside that weren't there the two days before. I promptly too them out to the woods and released them so they could be happy for a while before they died. And I will never have bunnies again.
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    They have added a Warrior Dash for NC in May next year!!!! OMG!!! I don't know if I should do it cause I think I'd rather run it with you ladies up in Michigan :smile:
  • Laceylala
    Options
    They have added a Warrior Dash for NC in May next year!!!! OMG!!! I don't know if I should do it cause I think I'd rather run it with you ladies up in Michigan :smile:

Why not do them both with a goal of beating your time with the second one.
  • SteppingOutofGrey
    SteppingOutofGrey Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Amy: boo to biochemistry if it provides headaches!!!

Lacey: you can get it back together - eating when you are hungry sounds like a good move.

Jessie: Yeah for bunnies - I have never had one but they are very cute - looking forward to some photies.....sorry your day was so ugly - hope things improve soon.

Pam: I'm with you on thinking I knew abit about food / weight loss but it just seems to get more confusing. What I ate once and would lose weight just does not cut it any more, nor does adding exercise - must be doing something very wrong. Add to that the 30day shred measurments - 3mm - yes mm - left my waist. Am looking forward to Lacey cracking down on my diary so that a) I keep it and b) I will get soemone else's thoughts on how to move forward.

Kendal: once again - love your pictures. hHoping things go well with your house discussions.

Sarah: I'll be one of those who knows how little a stay at home ..........okay, okay, only joking................hw hard it is to be a stay at home mum, try and keep opn top of things and find some time to fit in things like exercise. Pray that your friend settles into her new environment and that your work load eases. Oh - and thanks for comment re %age completed of my 100 days - it helped to re-focus my straying mind (wanting food (anyting and everything), did not care whether I produced anything and wanting to slump in cheir - exercise - what's that?). Yup, was heading downwards and your observation was just what was needed.

Kristina: thanks again for tracking our 'progress'. Whip crack time on you though - where are your updates/posts........

Kerry: Don't go losing heart - you are a motivational force to be reckoned with and I, too, want to be like you when I grow up please. You have lost soooo much, soooo consistently - give yourself time.

As for me - nearly lost the plot completely today, then someone came to the door, the phone went and I managed to re-direct myself. (then read Sarah's comment and whole thing turned around - yeah for mfp friends).
    End of yesterday 10/10 - reading and food choices, 9/10 exercise; 8/10 productivity - I was sooooo tired for some reason so put myself to bed - not at all productive!!!

Today - as long as I only eat fruit/yoghurt from now wont have done too badly but have had a pice of cake and some crumble so think I will need to drop a day on food choices - I wonder how low I can go out of 100 to be okay (originally I would have given up at the thought of it not being 100/100 so progress is being made but it is pestering me to know what is okay)?????

Have also established that if I want to exercise in the morning I need to get up earlier than I have been - family ar struggling without my complete attention - to extent I had to abandon whole thing this morning - which reminds me - must go and catch up with exercise now - don't want to drop another day on that.

Keep well all xx
  • GonnaDoItJenn
    GonnaDoItJenn Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    WOWZERS! Look at those losses! Congrats ladies! :) I want to be one of you next week.

Pam: I have to say that I stick as close as possible to my calories for the day. Right now I am supposed to be at 1810 a day. I overrode it and bumped myself down to 1750 because of the change I am making this month and reducing my sugar intake as well by cutting out sweets. I strive to be no less than 10% of what my calories are for the day as I can feel when my body is shutting down because it needs food. I also do not eat back my burned calories from working out. I may eat some protein to kick-start me and keep me going but I rarely eat any of those calories.

Hubby on the other hand gets 2300 calories a day and he says he has a hard time reaching it on some days but on others he has been over. It all depends on the day.

Today is day 4 of NO SWEETS and I am happy to say I haven't even been tempted today. I am hoping to add in some sort of exercise this week as I haven't had any in far too long besides the regular "calisthenics" that hubby and I joke about. LOL!
  • crystalAN85
    crystalAN85 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I miss feeling like I could keep up around here. :laugh: I love you all!

Just checking in quick, I'll reply more tonight after work or tomorrow, but today has been REALLY hard. I'm proud of myself for reaching Day 4 without a cigarette, but today seems even harder than the first day. As in like, smoking is all I can think about. *sigh* I know I can do this but dang the nicotine!! Rarr. At least I'm not super-b*tch. :happy:

And, today is the first day I have legitimately exercised on my own since this challenge. Epic fail, but I'm getting back into the swing of things! My personal trainer called me last week and told me they were doing a customer appreciation day and offering free PT sessions, and of course I said hell yea, lol. So last Friday with her was my first legitimate exercise, but today I pushed myself! It was a good reminder of the warm and fuzzy good feelings post-workout. :smile:

So, because of my drama-filled life and hatred of feeling used, I have sworn myself to celibacy. Crazy? Possibly. But it works. I've felt so much more SANE. Reasonable, level-headed, all that jazz. It's been awesome. Kinda feel like I'm on top of the world with all my lifestyle changes. But yes. A week after making this decision, four different guys that I had dated/been seeing/whatever at any given point in time in the last 2-3 years started blowing up my phone. Can anyone say radar or something? Just weird. No. Every boy on the planet is currently in the state of "Friend Zone." I don't care if he's Ryan Reynolds. (Ok, maybe that's a lie... :laugh: ) But yea.

Anyways, off to work I go! I'll be back later and I hope you ladies have a wonderful day. :flowerforyou:
  • KatheryneLynne
    Options
    Okay, so I haven’t been posting in forever. It will take me a bit to catch up.

Crystal—keep up the good work on the smoking, or not smoking that is. My mother’s doctor said the same thing about Benadryl. She’s done that for years now when she is having problems getting to sleep.

Lacey—I would never be able to hire someone to clean my house. I’m so silly I would scrub the place top to bottom before they would come clean because “I can’t have strangers coming into a dirty house.” Hey, maybe that’s what I need for accountability, hire a cleaner so I’m motivated to clean more of it myself :laugh: Also, I know how frustrating male OBs can be about the weightloss. The first time I went to visit my old one, he ran my cholesterol three times because he just couldn’t believe that someone as overweight as me could have healthy normal cholesterol. Then he would spend at least half of every visit recommending I have surgery of some sort to deal with the issue. I was still in my early twenties at this point and didn’t have the confidence to just change doctors. He completely ignored the fact that I exercised multiple days a week, my BP was fine, my cholesterol was fine, and my cycle was every 28 days to the flippin’ hour.

Which leads me to…

Bobbie—my new OB runs a weight loss support group. While I am not a member of the group, at my annual this past spring she said that it is her experience when dealing with obese women that they almost always have three things in common. 1.) they are not drinking enough water, she recommends that a person needs to drink half their body weight in oz. or water a day. So for example. A person who weighs 300 lbs. would need to drink 150 oz. of water. I don’t get anywhere close to that, but since she told me, I have greatly increased the amount I drink. 2.) they don’t eat breakfast, or they eat carbs for breakfast. She recommends eating a high protein breakfast within thirty minutes of getting up. And 3.) they don’t eat enough calories; she said that about 90 % of the women in her group were eating less than 1200 calories a day. I don’t know that any of this is helpful, but there you go.

Sarah—I LOVE Zuppa Tuscana. I have the recipe for it, and make it every other month or so.

Kendal—the costume is so cute :smile:

Amy—350 Stairs, OMG, I couldn’t imagine. I’m done after climbing the 120 to the fifth floor of the courthouse. And as for how to tell how you met. I would have just said you met in a fitness club. It’s sorta true. I’m all for letting people assume what they will. Not that there is a problem meeting people on line—that is how I met my husband—but your right, some people just don’t, and will never, understand.

Wiggle—I don’t know how you can get a pedi. I could never let a stranger touch my feet. I’m way too self-conscious to do that. When I was in middle school I was so embarrassed about the fact that my big and first toe didn’t touch I spent weeks exercising them so that they would stay together. All in preparation for a sleep over I knew was coming. I, to this day, still find myself clenching my toes together without even thinking about it.

And one last thing to all you football fans—I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you. I’m a Colts fan so I don’t even want to hear it. :tongue: 0-4 just makes me sick. Thank God my other team is the Saints and they aren’t doing anywhere near as bad.

As for me, I have a pretty bad anxiety disorder, which I keep in check most of the time. Last week was not most of the time. It took everything I had to go to work, make dinner, and try to focus enough to be able to fall asleep. Now that things are more or less back on track I can catch up on all the posts. My diet was relatively okay, great on salt and water intake. Which is probably how I was able to finally for the first time in months drop below 280 (yeah me!!!) Bad on exercise though, unless you count pacing the floor :smile: . Anyway, I am at least caught up. Hopefully this week will be better.

-Katheryne
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Twirls for Crystal on 4 days with no smoking!!!
  • kmturtle3
    kmturtle3 Posts: 556
    Options
    Katheryne, I completely agree with you on not being able to hire a cleaning service. I can't imagine having someone else clean up after me... I'd be embarrased and want to get everything tidied up before they got there. I grew up in a house where my mom vacuumed and dusted every.single.day. So yeah - it was spotless all the time. Still is.

Crystal, YAY for no smoking for 4 days! You can totally do this, girlie! Just think about all the money you will save, all the great and healthy things you are doing for your body... I can't imagine how hard it is, but I have faith in you! Keep it up and you'll be through the worst of it!

Jenn, you are my hero for 4 days of no sweets. I seriously cannot fathom it. I'm sure that is a lot to blame for my nagging belly pooch, but I just can't help myself. I purposely save calories so I can have an ice cream sandwich or a bowl of Cocoa Puffs after dinner. If I'm trying to behave, I'll have Raisin Bran instead. lol...

Annette, I like the way you are keeping track of yourself - keep it up woman!

Kendal, I agree with Lacey, do BOTH Warrior Dashes. You are a warrior, after all.:smile: Enjoy Uncle Kracker! I saw Kenny Chesney and friends 2 summers ago at Ford Field (where the Lions play) and Uncle Kracker just showed up to sing with him. It was awesome. I was actually more excited to see Sugarland and Lady Antebellum than Kenny, though. And wtg on staying out of the kitchen last night - super willpower, you have. (that's my best Yoda. Sorry.)

Lacey, (itty bitty whip crack) Get back to logging, woman! I know it was fun to not log while on vacation, but that's why its called a vacation - its a break from real life. So get to it before you really hate your scale! And how is it possible that I constantly shop at Banana and Gap and have never seen/heard of athleta.com?! I.want.it.all. Their stuff is SO CUTE!

Amy, how's the headache? Better? Gone? I hope so! Just thinking about you doing biochemistry kinda makes my head hurt, so I can only imagine! :laugh:

navallez, congrats on the big loss! :drinker: Yay for you and all the "losers" this week!

Jessi, yay for bunnies! I LOVE bunnies. I find them adorable. I also love sweaters made with angora. They are the greatest ever. I don't think I can ever own a bunny again though, because when I was in 6th grade I had a dwarf floppy eared bunny name Baghera (like the Jungle Book) and we left him in his cage to go to chuch on a Sunday in May, and out of NOWHERE it got to be super freaking hot and within the 2 hours that we were gone, he died of heat stroke. It was awful because I came home and ran to his cage and reached in to grab him (I thought he was sleeping) and he was totally stiff. I had nightmares about it for forever.

Pam, I don't think I can say more than what everyone else has on the starvation/sugar topic. I completely believe in starvation. I believe that if you starve yourself, you will lose weight. I believe also that the second you start eating again, you will have a heck of a time keeping that weight off, along with giving yourself all kinds of health issues. Its bad. We need fuel, especially if we are working out. I DO however LOVE hearing about how people have their calorie goals set up. Now that I'm so close to my "goal" weight, I switched my MFP goals to 1 pound a week losses. For NET calories, Monday thru Friday I stay between 1300-1400. (So I eat back ALL of my exercise calories). On the weekend... yeah I end up netting closer to like 2000-2500. I think the natural "calorie cycling" that offers kind of helps me. Up until now. We'll see what this week's weigh in brings, and then I might be shaking up my whole routine. We shall see. As far as sugar goes, I know I eat way to much. I blame Clif Bars and dessert, as I mentioned before.

Victoria, you are so wise and wonderful. Any thoughts on ways to compensate for one-side-of-the-body-butt-soreness from running on the road and having my left leg need a little bit longer of a stride than my right? I suppose I could start running on the wrong side of the road for a while? I have been stretching like crazy, but I just always have some tightness in my left cheek/hamstring.

Sarah, I can't imagine what your friend is going through/dealing with. She has a long road ahead of her and my thoughts and prayers are with you and her and her family. Yuck, that's all I can say. What 1/2 Marathon are you running? What day is it actually on? I'm curious, because I might be out there running 13.1 miles at the same time as you! We could send each other good juju from the internet universe. lol.

My funk of dealing with my HRM strap/no scale movement is officially OVER. I declare it so. Amy is right, I absolutely can't start slacking or Doc Horton is gonna wipe the floor with me in January, and I'm completely uncool with that. I want to kick P90X 2's @ss. SO! After a long and crazy talk with the hubbs about how he doesn't want me to stop being "me" and assuring him that he's the greatest thing that ever happened to me and I'm never going to leave him just because I got skinny... I think I have his support in marathon training. Right now I'm still thinking Chicago in October of 2012, but I MAY try for Traverse City in May of 2012. I don't want to overload between P90X2 and running though, cuz that just spells i-n-j-u-r-y, so we'll see. I think after 10/16 I'm going to stick with 5 mile runs on Tuesday and Thursday, then a longer run on Saturday (maybe a rotation of 8-10-12 or something per week?) and then still do P90X jazz on the other days. My goal is to up my weights/reps with P90X. I really need to push it. Time to take this to the next level, baby!

(and then, maybe, just MAYBE, I'll start to pay attention to what I'm doing sugar-wise. Not fruit and such. But yogurt, energy bars, sweetened cereals, ice cream, yada yada. Mmm sweets. Mmm savories. MMMM FOOD!) :laugh: :heart:
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    -snaps fingers-
    If only I had posted my new weight yesterday I would have won this week.
    I hit 170.8 yesterday!

I hit my goal of 170 for the Halloween Challenge!
    My new goal is to just keep going! :)
  • navajoon
    navajoon Posts: 355
    Options
    Hi ladies!

Busy week this week with my London-side boss in town to do an audit so I won't be able to log on here much.

That being said of the posts I remember...

Pam, on one of the seasons of Biggest Loser, I remember one of the contestants or Jillian saying they hadn't reached their daily 6000 target burn. I think the women eat about 1500 and burn about 6000 a day. I'm assuming they go on some manner of crazy maintenance. Of all the contestants I've seen the only ones to totally keep the weight TOTALLY off are Ali, and so far Hannah and Olivia.

Sarah, I think if I cut bread out of my diet I might just lose it. Bread and ice cream are probably my two biggest weaknesses.

Ummm... someone else had said something I wanted to comment on but I totally can't remember now!

Hope y'all are doing well!