Expectations

Options

Replies

• sheltielover
    sheltielover Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump! i just hit my first wall this morning---- and I REALLY needed to read this! Thank you!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Bumping. Very helpful. Especially this post later in the discussion:

Quote:
    "It's true, while the majority of people will experience dramatic weight loss at the very beginning followed by a significant drop off, there is a smaller subset that will experience little or no weight loss at the start that leads either to more steady weight loss throughout, or higher loss later on down the road. This can happen for a variety of reasons, but just know that while the steps may not fit you exactly, the concept that you need to fit the program to your body still holds true. Best luck to you!"

It has taken me several months to lose 10# (about 50 to go) and, the first few weeks, I lost only 1#. And my weight loss has not been steady at all. No loss for a week or two, then will lose 2-3#, then no loss for awhile again. This can be discouraging as I am truly eating clean most days, have a small splurge day about once a week, but my overall calorie deficit for the week is still within my deficit goals, and I have gone from only walking the dog to doing spin classes, elliptical, swimming, weight training, Zumba, yoga, running, and various combo cardio/calisthenics routines that raise my heart rate while working out various big muscle groups and core. (I try to mix up my exercise routines a lot)

While it's great to be losing inches and feeling stronger, it has been discouraging to lose so slowly. The information on all the stages has been very helpful and I am going to read it regularly to help keep me motivated.

Also, since I lose so slowly and always have, I have already set NSV goals. Next summer I want to do the 200-mile Seattle to Portland Bicycle event. And I have several long hikes I want to do next summer that I have neither the strength or stamina to do now. Longer term goals include things like making it to the summit of Mt. Rainier. I really need this to be about more than the weight loss because I know that my body holds onto weight (due to hyperinsulimia, which I am also keeping my carbs lower to help with) because is weight loss was my only goal, I know I'd be falling off the wagon already.

Anyway, thanks!
  • EliRob
    EliRob Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the wonderful information!

I am in stage 1, and am totally loving it! I am dreading hitting the 'wall' I know is coming! Hopefully I will be able to work through it and move on to the next stage. I can’t wait to get to Stage 6!!!!
  • ketrell
    ketrell Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I needed to read. Thanks for the post.
  • Staceyblewin
    Staceyblewin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ahhh I can stop crying every morning.. Thank you to the person who wrote this and to the person who directed me here!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you're welcome Stacey!
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My favorite saying when dealing with these roadblocks is from Bob on Biggest Loser - "TRUST THE PROCESS". If you're doing everything "right", your body will follow..... eventually! :)
  • ReneeJM
    ReneeJM Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • schaacker
    schaacker Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow, I just wanted to say I found this article and the one on the extra exercise calories so helpful!

I'm in phase 4 and have seen my progress slow down and been having random headaches. I was starting to loose motivation and worrying that when I do hit my goal that I will have to be eating less than I am now since I would down some of my workouts. Now it all clicked since I should be targeting the higher calorie goal as I work hard on the last 8 lbs! No need to remove parts of the 'healthy' recipes I find in magazines because I can't fit it into my calorie goals! This is a game changer for me :)

So glad I signed up for this site!
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump! definitely need this as a reminder!
  • Cheri06
    Cheri06 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • mroper
    mroper Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bu-Bu-Bu BUMP it up! :bigsmile:
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    Bump
  • May63
    May63 Posts: 162
    Options
    Thanks Banks. :smile:
  • _tiifyjo_
    _tiifyjo_ Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    So glad I finally read this! I am currently in phase two. Haven't lost for about a month, losing inches, just not pounds and it is discouraging me SO bad.

Thanks for posting!!!
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    Bump
  • cjtx2
    cjtx2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    thank you, thank you, thank you! This is FANTASTIC! i have a group of ladies in a 17 week weight loss challenge, and i will share this info with them. I will link it back to your original post, Banks!

BUMP this one back to the top, lots of new folks who probably have not seen it!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Can we pin this post to the top as a sticky? It has such great information in it and since it's on page 20 it's about to get locked!