Expectations

Options

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

-Banks

badday.gifstamp.gif[/urlshy.gif]shy.gif
    smiley-angry016.gifsmiley-angry016.gifsmiley-angry016.gifsmiley-angry016.gifsmiley-angry016.gifsmiley-angry016.gifsmiley-angry016.gif

:sad: :sad: :sad:

:laugh: High Five
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    double high five!!! maybe a chest bump!! :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for this wise post. If it were not for this post, I would be very discouraged right now - perhaps even so much that I'd decide this is not for me.

I've only been following this program for 7 weeks now and it was only last week that I began to exercise in earnest.

But over the last two weeks I've not lost one pound! I've not gained, mind you, but no loss. I've also been more hungry than I've been over the two months. It sure would be easy to get discouraged.

But because of this post I knew to expect this plateau. Because of this post I am looking more to the measuring tape than the scale at this point.

Thank you Banks. Because if it were not for this post, I might have fallen back into the same deadly eating patterns that I've followed for 49 years, dragging my daughter back down with me.

Reading this post is essential!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm in stage 5-I know I need to weight train and I've been really dragging my feet on this. I'm going to start or I'll never have the results that I'm wanting. TIme to dig deep. Thanks-:happy:
  • mehapp
    mehapp Posts: 132
    Options
    bump

:flowerforyou:

Such an excellent post. Thanks Banks!
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    need to tag this
  • evgal
    evgal Posts: 22
    Options
    banks this is hour one of my quest ! your blog is great, i know what your saying, about 20 yrs ago i lost a lot of wt, & had to buy a dress for my nieces wedding, my sister said i was trying on fat clothes! well... they were my new proud size 8 !!! i had NEVER been a size 8. how could they be fat clothes!?! lol i guess i was trying on the same style in just a smaller size! sleveless ,body hugging, just not my style!
    took me a long time to come to my aha moment. i think it has to do with what you were saying about mind & body not being on the same page. was i wearing boxy loose clothes because i really liked them or because i had poor body image?
    your blog is very insightful, you've really done alot of work ! and i don't mean in the gym. i will be reading & rereading your blog over the comming months. i know i'll need lots of encouragement. thanks again karen
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    banks this is hour one of my quest ! your blog is great, i know what your saying, about 20 yrs ago i lost a lot of wt, & had to buy a dress for my nieces wedding, my sister said i was trying on fat clothes! well... they were my new proud size 8 !!! i had NEVER been a size 8. how could they be fat clothes!?! lol i guess i was trying on the same style in just a smaller size! sleveless ,body hugging, just not my style!
    took me a long time to come to my aha moment. i think it has to do with what you were saying about mind & body not being on the same page. was i wearing boxy loose clothes because i really liked them or because i had poor body image?
    your blog is very insightful, you've really done alot of work ! and i don't mean in the gym. i will be reading & rereading your blog over the comming months. i know i'll need lots of encouragement. thanks again karen

Ahh, Hey thanks. Are you talking about my Blog, or just posts though? I don't really do much in the way of blogging about anything more than my exercise routine and rants (hey, I like to rant, but don't really see that as a constructive form of posting on a message board). Anyway, best of luck to you evgal.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,982 Member
    Options
    Rats, I was all excited thinking there was a banks blog.....:grumble:

wait.gif

bump
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Rats, I was all excited thinking there was a banks blog.....:grumble:

wait.gif

bump

There is Cheryl, but it's just me being angry and stuff. :tongue: You're welcome to read it though.

I also have a regular blog, but I don't update it, I'm just too darn busy to do that. Anyway, it would be mostly political rantings in any case, I do a lot of research into politics, and have also studied macro economics and economy's of scale to the Nth degree, so all my rantings are based on (and I won't get into it here) the ups and downs of one form of government as opposed to another with regards to National economies. It behooves me to know this stuff as my wife is a saleswoman for an International shipping company, and it can be cool to watch all the theories I read about put into play on a daily basis with her business (seeing how the price changes whether you ship to China proper or Hong Kong is crazy, and the distance changes is tiny, just crazy)
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump

thanks banks!!!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    wow, Steve, that was reeeeaaallllllyy fascinating. Macro economics. Maybe I should read more....
    :noway: :tongue:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    wow, Steve, that was reeeeaaallllllyy fascinating. Macro economics. Maybe I should read more....

I wouldn't recommend it, it'll drive you crazy. I see things in this country that make me bonkers!
  • cmriverside
    Options

I wouldn't recommend it, it'll drive you crazy. I see things in this country that make me bonkers!

:sarcasmface: I would have used it if there was one. :ohwell:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :glasses:
  • diamondD
    diamondD Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    stuck at phase 3 here. While I am not losing many pounds this month (5 total), I have noticed alot of changes in my body. My calves are super defined from 3 mile jogs daily and my legs are no longer jiggling.

I have been more lax with the diet, where I was militant the first 2 months. I've resolved to go back to militant today and really try hard to hit my goal.
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    BUMPTY BUMP :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    All we need is love (and a bump)
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Bump:drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I loved this then........it helps me now.

Bump!!