Motivated Mamma's Week 3 (Closed Group)

MOTIVATED MAMMA'S
WEEK 3
:smile: (25 possible point this week):smile:

Link for our Spreadsheets
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnwPqv9GV3KzdGJmckI0LXhiV2piODNrU3o3NG9XRVE&hl=en_US#gid=0

CARDIO CHALLENGE - 7 Points Total
Created by Ashley and Sarah
:heart: Part 1- (3 points) This week we want all the ladies to have a little fun! Our heads have been all about the burn lately and not focusing on making your workouts fun! So this week take some time to play your favorite music and DANCE, for atleast 20-30 minutes 3 days this week. It doesnt have to be during your workout, maybe just while you are making supper or getting ready in the morning or with your little ones during the day!
:heart: Part 2- (4 points) Log your regular calories atleast 4 times this week.

STRENGTH CHALLENGE- 9 Points Total
Created by Elaine and Louana
There are often questions about the best abs exercises—after all, who doesn't want to tone their tummy in the least amount of time? There are countless exercises that target the abs, including fitness DVDs (Does "8 Minute Abs" ring a bell?) and even pricey machines that you often see on infomercials. But do you need a video or specialized piece of equipment to get the abs of your dreams?
A study conducted at San Diego State University's Biomechanics Lab (and published by ACE, the American Council on Exercise) says no. Their research revealed that the best exercises for your abs don't require any gizmos, and are surprisingly easy to fit into your day.
Do these 3 times through the week for a point each time, for 9 points all together.
:heart: Bicycle Crunches- 2 sets, 60 seconds each set. (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=12)
:heart: Planks- do 2 sets, 60 seconds each (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=7)
:heart: Reverse Crunches- 2 sets, 15 crunches each set (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=8)

FOOD CHALLENGE - 7 Points Total
Created by Renu and Meg
:heart: Part 1- Lets build some strong muscles this week by meeting our protein requirement. If you are not sure on your protein requirement, calculate here.http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp .. You meet your protein requirement for 5 days in a week and earn 5 points..
:heart: Part 2- You also get 2 bonus points for posting a high protein recipe or home made protein supplements, say a smoothie..

EMOTIONAL CHALLENGE- 2 Points Total
Created by Nathalie
Sometimes when you're losing weight, it's easy to get obsessed with the scales, when really that's only half of the story. Take some time this week to consider whether your relationship with the scales is helping or hindering your journey to a healthier you.
:heart: Part 1- 1 point
Write about your relationship with the scales. Do you weigh in too often or do you avoid them like the plague? How does your relationship with the scales affect how you eat? How do you feel if you don't see what you want to see? And how do you feel when you do see what you want to see?
:heart: Part 2- Bonus point
If you manage to not weigh in at all this week, Wednesday to Wednesday, you get a bonus point.

:wink: GREAT JOB LAST WEEK LADIES!!! LETS KEEP BURNING THOSE CALORIES AND BECOME STRONGER EACH WEEK, WE CAN AND WILL DO THIS!!!!:bigsmile:

Replies

• daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Oooh! I love the bonus point for the emotional challenge!! That'll bug me all week long, but a good push!!
  • LoveNevrNds
    LoveNevrNds Posts: 321 Member
    Awesome challenge this week ladies! Oh and I am loving the stay off the scale for a week challenge, this is the perfect week for me to stay away from it. I tend to get a little obsessed with the scale during TOM.
  • renubhat_82
    renubhat_82 Posts: 549 Member
    whooo...amazing challenge esp the emotional one...I DO NOT have control on myself when it comes to peeking into the scale everyday and sometimes numerous times in a single day...lol... Its going to be hard but i love it... Strength challenge is just what i wanted... Cardio- I had just planned of getting back into dancing for this week and I have it.. :-)

Also we have to take the measurements tomorrow right?
  • amyelizbradley
    amyelizbradley Posts: 379 Member
    I really like this week's challenge; I am looking forward to it!
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Im so amped for these challenges! I was just thinking the other day I needed to start focusing on my abs! And im loving the bonus emotional point...idk If i can handle not peaking all week though, but I sure will try!
  • lprunty
    lprunty Posts: 108
    Great challenges this week! Looking forward to getting started!
  • losinit_4_good
    losinit_4_good Posts: 731 Member
    love this challenge! I feel like we are all so in tune! I was just thinking that I need to focus more on abs. and as for the scale, with TOM due any day I'm more than happy to have an excuse to steer myself away from the scale.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    I'm going to get my emotional challenge out of the way right now.....
    Not sure if my relationship with the scale is good or bad but we do see a lot of each other, every morning, sometimes in the middle of the day I'll sneek a peek, can't help myself. If I get on the scale and see a number that is higher than yesterday's, I'll just look at what I did yesterday....did I drink enough water? Did I eat too much salt or carbs? Did I have a really good workout the day before? All are en easy fix, drink more water, or lower carbs for the day. Usually by the next day things are back on track.
    Now when I get on the scale and see a lower number, like everyone I get excited, but I also know that soon I'm going to have to switch into maintance mode, and that is still a little scary. Although I don't feel like the scale affects me emotionally and other than adjusting my water and carbs it doesn't change how I eat, but I can't start my day without hopping on it first thing every morning. With that being said, I don't know if I'll be able to do the second part of this challenge. I'm going to try but, I'm not making any promises!!!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Here's my stuff for today:

CARDIO CHALLENGE - 7 Points Total
    Part 1- (3 points): 1/3 points. I did 30 minutes of Wii Just Dance 2 as part of my workout today
    Part 2- (4 points) 1/4 points. Will log calorie burned right after I do this :)

STRENGTH CHALLENGE- 9 Points Total
    Bicycle Crunches- 2 sets, 60 seconds each set. 1/3 points
    Planks- do 2 sets, 60 seconds each 1/3 points
    Reverse Crunches- 2 sets, 15 crunches each set 1/3 points

FOOD CHALLENGE - 7 Points Total
    Part 1- Protein Requirement: I had to up mine from MFP settings to 20%. This will definitely make it harder for me, as I was always over my protein with the original settings, but now I'm below it. So I'll have to add some more protein into my day. I will post back whether I achieve this for today. 0/5 points

Part 2- Here is my high protein recipe. It's Tuna Casserole that another MFP friend gave me. Hers included 1/2 can of peas and a fried onion topping, but since no one here likes it, I just omit it. 2/2 points

Recipe name Tuna Casserole (1 serving is 277grams)--which is A LOT, but you can do it less obviously, just divide by the total weight.

Number of servings: 8

2 cans of Aldi Northern Catch - Chunk Light Tuna
    1 can of Aldi Fit & Active - Cream of Mushroom Soup
    1 can of Del Monte - Fresh Cut Whole Kernel Corn
    1 can of Aldi's Fit & Active - Cream of Chicken Soup
    1/2 box of Reggano - Elbow Macaroni

Boil noodles until done. Then mix everything together with drained noodles. Put into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes. I like it because it's easy and since no one here likes tuna, this is one way we can eat it (since the soups pretty much mask the taste).

Calories per serving are 305, 4 grams of fat, 411 of sodium, 52 carbs, 122 potassium, and 18 of protein (since this is what I track)

EMOTIONAL CHALLENGE- 2 Points Total
    Part 1- 1/1 point
    I usually don't weigh myself often because I get annoyed and upset if I haven't lost. The only reason that I even weigh myself each week now is because of the challenge. It doesn't really affect how I eat, tracking on MFP does that way more than the scale. If I don't see a loss, I get a little dissapointed, but if I see a gain, I get really upset and sad even. If I see a loss, then I get happy, obviously because I feel like my hard work has paid off.

Part 2- 1/1 point. I will definitely not be weighing myself again until next Wednesday!
  • sisa2324
    sisa2324 Posts: 164 Member
    Alright...I have a renewed commitment to the challenge this week. Only got 18 points last week, but will definitely be pushing myself more this week. Even though my treadmill died yesterday (boo!!) and I have never really danced in my life, im going to make it work. Keep working hard everyone, you all are what's keeping me exercising!
  • renubhat_82
    renubhat_82 Posts: 549 Member
    Ladies,

I have lost 1.2 lbs this week..yay!!

Tried dancing this morning and I couldnt do my Indian dance for more than 15 mins..in squat position for 15 mins is really difficult.. Now I know why my students say its difficult..lol... But managed to get Zumba in for remaining 15 mins... nice cardio and dancing too... :-) Will try to do some core exercise and some nice walking... but im fully pumped up for this week.. :-)
  • bella_babe_86
    Ladies,

I have lost 1.2 lbs this week..yay!!

Tried dancing this morning and I couldnt do my Indian dance for more than 15 mins..in squat position for 15 mins is really difficult.. Now I know why my students say its difficult..lol... But managed to get Zumba in for remaining 15 mins... nice cardio and dancing too... :-) Will try to do some core exercise and some nice walking... but im fully pumped up for this week.. :-)

Great job on the loss! And the dancing, Im so glad you are pumped! And super excited that everyones having some fun this week!!!
  • megcc
    megcc Posts: 94 Member
    Stayed the same technically but I actually list the lb I gained back after being sick.
    Love the emotional challenge!
  • bella_babe_86
    Today I have finally hit my first mini goal of 20 lbs! As of today, I've lost 20.8...after I set my first major long term goal 80 lbs seemed awfully daunting and unattainable. So I started setting goals at 20 lbs at a time...Mini goal number 1 FINALLY accomplished! Only 3 more to go before reaching my first long term goal...now that doesnt seem so hard to attain!

For the challenges:

Food- this is a recipe I found for protein smoothies, Im not sure how much protein is in it because I guess it depends on the powder that you use in it and its also low carb.

Fruit Medley Protein Smoothie Recipe
    Ingredients:
    1 tbsp pf protein powder(or recommended amount) 4 strawberries 8 cherries without seeds 5 peach slices 1/2 a banana 1 cup of nonfat milk

Directions: Blend the assorted fruits with the milk, begin adding the powder as the texture becomes smooth. The milk may also be replaced with orange juice or fruit punch for a non dairy protein smoothie

Emotional: I usually weigh everyday, or every other day. I just feel like im more in control if I have a handle on that number everyday. Lately though I havent been tracking my weight, only my BMI(body mass index) because i know if that goes down, so does my weight but im not obsessed with the number. The scale and I have a love/hate relationship, I used to despise getting on the scale, because I knew it was only going to bring me dissapointment and heartache, but now the scale gives me power, rather i gain or lose or stay the same, I am still empowered by the fact that I have taken control of my life, my health and my body. Its extremely freeing!

Cardio- I two-stepped around the kitchen with my little man today, he's an awesome dance partner!
  • lprunty
    I have my daddy's desktop now. so I will be able to post more often. Hopefully soon I'll be able to replace my laptop! Dumb thing. :-) I hope you guys had a great day. It is bowling night for me tonight, and I am gonna get in some ab work now.
  • lprunty
    Today I have finally hit my first mini goal of 20 lbs! As of today, I've lost 20.8...after I set my first major long term goal 80 lbs seemed awfully daunting and unattainable. So I started setting goals at 20 lbs at a time...Mini goal number 1 FINALLY accomplished! Only 3 more to go before reaching my first long term goal...now that doesnt seem so hard to attain!

congrats on meeting your first mini goal!!
  • lprunty
    Question about the logging cals part. Do you mean we are logging our total cals eaten or burned?
  • LoveNevrNds

Congrats on your mini goal!!! That is SOOOO awesome! Keep up the great work!
  • LoveNevrNds
    Emotional Challenge:

My relationship with the scale is not great but not terrible. I normally weigh in every day, lately I have been checking a second time in the day because I have become obsessed with the numbers. I had a bad weight week last weigh in, for reasons unknown I gained 1.6 lbs, it is starting to come back off, I think it was actually a plateau that I am finally breaking through! Weighing in every day does change what I eat, when I weigh and don't see a loss, or a see a slight gain I am more careful about what I consume to counter act that. When I don't like what I see, I have two reactions, I either work harder, or I feel discouraged! On the plus side, when I see a loss I become so excited about it that I work really hard to keep seeing that loss.

Over all, my relationship with the scale is one that I have been working on. I am trying to focus on my good eating habits and less on how quickly the weight comes off. I can't say that I don't care at all what it says, because I actually care a lot, and I don't want to stop caring, I just don't want it to effect my mood and motivation if it is not what I want.

I am going to try for the bonus point! I will put the scale away for the week and see how this works out! Woohoo!!!
  • bella_babe_86
    Question about the logging cals part. Do you mean we are logging our total cals eaten or burned?

burned on the spreadsheet.