Any 5'4 135-140 pound females trying to lose 10-12 pounds?

Options
Hello! I am 5'4 and 136 pounds. I am healthy...been exercising for about a year to maintain, but put pn a few pounds and now I want to lose some of this weight. My goal weight is 125 pounds. However, I cannot seem to lose any pounds! I eat 1200 calories a day, ONLY drink water (around 100oz a day), do 2 Aerobic classes a week that last an hour, and work out atleast two more times other than that. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I cannot seem to lose any weight! I am going on vacation at the end of October, but it is getting too close to even reach my goal of losing 10 pounds. I need some help and advice!!

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR? SInce you have so little to lose..you may have to up your calories. I am 5'5" and when I started I was 175...doc put me on 1200 calories.

Now I am about 3 pounds from initial goal of 140 and I am eating 1500 calories.
    Next will be to move to 1600 calories.

Remember..you do 1200 if you have loads to lose and really havent done any type of exercise..if you are exercising..it could be your body needs more calories..
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Try eating back your exercise calories if you aren't doing that already. If you are eating them back, then try not to, or only eat some of them back. Sometimes just changing things up to shock your body will get things moving in the right direction again.
  • megcalvert
    megcalvert Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR? SInce you have so little to lose..you may have to up your calories. I am 5'5" and when I started I was 175...doc put me on 1200 calories.

Now I am about 3 pounds from initial goal of 140 and I am eating 1500 calories.
    Next will be to move to 1600 calories.

Remember..you do 1200 if you have loads to lose and really havent done any type of exercise..if you are exercising..it could be your body needs more calories..

My BMR is like 1440...I do go over 1200 several times a week...and on the days I work out I eat back my calories...I have tried all of that..I don't know what else to do!
  • missbecm
    missbecm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Definitely increase your daily calorie intake!! I am in your same position, trying to lose the last 10. About a month ago I changed my goal to lose 1lb a week instead of 1.5 lbs, and I was able to get over my plateau. Also, try zig zagging your calories throughout the week, and this will boost your metabolism, and you will lose weight steadily!
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    First of all, I think you look gorgeous in your profile pic . . . so I'm not sure why you want to lose more, but here are some suggestions . . .

- Try changing up your workout routine. Do you do strength training (weights?) or just cardio? Your body adapts to exercise if it is always the same. Try something new . . . a new class . . . a new DVD . . . new exercises . . .

- Also, maybe look at your carb/fat/protein percentages. Maybe play around with those . . . like up your protein and lower the other two.

- You may be at a point where you may not necessarily see your number on the scale drop but you will see clothes fit better.

Best wishes!:flowerforyou:
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Your food journal is locked, you may want to unlock to get more feedback.

Just in general you are probably not eating enough. We're the same height/weight and I'm in the normal range of the BMI scale. As you get closer to your goal weight it gets harder to lose. Try zig zagging your calories, eat less processed foods, try weight lifting/strength training, and eat your exercise calories (or at least half).

I haven't lost a pound in a few months, but my clothes are fitting looser, everyone has commented that it looks like I'm losing weight, but I swear I haven't lost an ounce. Although I haven't measured myself and I know I lost a couple inches in my waist.

Btw, you look amazing!! :)
  • megcalvert
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will have to try zigzagging my calories, and do some more strength training. I do most of the other suggestions. & The skinny pictures (2 in the bathing suits, not in the pink one) on my profile are for motivation for me to get back to the weight I have always been!
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!!! We are in the exact same boat!!!! I am 5'4, 134 lbs with the exact same goal. I recently upped my calories... I am enjoying life a little more, but haven't seem much of a change in the scale yet!!! Add me and I will let u know if it starts to work :)
  • megcalvert
    Options
    Your food journal is locked, you may want to unlock to get more feedback.

Just in general you are probably not eating enough. We're the same height/weight and I'm in the normal range of the BMI scale. As you get closer to your goal weight it gets harder to lose. Try zig zagging your calories, eat less processed foods, try weight lifting/strength training, and eat your exercise calories (or at least half).

I haven't lost a pound in a few months, but my clothes are fitting looser, everyone has commented that it looks like I'm losing weight, but I swear I haven't lost an ounce. Although I haven't measured myself and I know I lost a couple inches in my waist.

Btw, you look amazing!! :)

Thank you! I unlocked my diary, I didn't know it was locked!
  • megcalvert
    Options
    Wow!!!!! We are in the exact same boat!!!! I am 5'4, 134 lbs with the exact same goal. I recently upped my calories... I am enjoying life a little more, but haven't seem much of a change in the scale yet!!! Add me and I will let u know if it starts to work :)

Oh gosh, it is nice to find people who are the same size and wanting to lose the same amount! It looks like I am going to start upping my calories as well!
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... I'm 5'4" and 139 lb trying to get back down to 130 lb. I also drink tons of water, always have. Since I'm strength training a lot I recently up'ed my protein percentage even more trying to break my plateau. Plus, I'm zig zagging my net calories a bit due to high caloric expenditure on some days and not being able to eat all of them back. Others days I keep my excercise calories to a smaller number and eat them all back. I'll let you know how those routines go.
  • Jeanette928
    Jeanette928 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How is the weight loss going? I'm new to this and see the posting is almost a year old. I am 138 and would like to drop 10 stubborn pounds. Any advice or tips that have helped? Thanks! :)
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, 142lbs with the goal of 123lbs! Feel free to friend me :)
  • mitchiekatie
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 133 pounds. I haven't been able to break the plateau either ): Even when I was figure skating 2-6 hours and working out 1-2 hours a day, I weighed 128 (not too far off from my summer-lazy-lounge-months weight), so I've just about given up hope on losing anything (I've been trying for a month!) especially without the insane schedule I used to keep. I eat some of my exercise calories some days and on others I don't. I'm on the same boat! It's sooo frustrating. However, I just got a gym membership and going to try out yoga/pilates and swim to see if that changes things (:
  • jrjordan79
    jrjordan79 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    I am 5'4 (well, almost anyway ... more like 5'3 and a half) and currently at 138.
    I was at this weight in 2007, was diligent in tracking my food, and dropped down to 125! However, being diligent is SO hard (LOL), and my weight has crept back up to that old ugly number.
    I would love some support/motiviation/advice/tips on how to get back to my happy place!
    I go to Jazzercize 3 times a week (so FUN btw), and walk my 2 dogs for about 45 minutes 5x week. I am shooting for 1400 calories a day, eating back most of my exercize calories.

Thanks!
    Jackie
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm not as tall as you, I'm 5'2, but also have a goal of 125 (presently 138) and just keep gaining and loosing the same 5 lbs. I think b/c it isn't that much weight it is hard to loose. I just recently started the couch to 5k program and really hoping that makes a difference. I'm not that dedicated to logging in everything I eat as I have 3 small children and very little time to myself. I do eat fairly well, but know what I really need to do to loose this weight.

I'm goign to try and be better about logging my calories and really complete the 5k program. I'm really enjoying it and can't wait to do it again tomorrow.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I say enjoy your vacation and you will lose few pounds when you return. ALways happens to me that way :)
  • CChandler81
    CChandler81 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree with the strength training. You may not see the scale change but you WILL see your body change.
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a 5'7ish 180 pound male trying to lose 15 more pounds, but I'm with you in spirit.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and currently 147. I am looking to get to 130 as my goal (or maybe 125 depending on how it goes!) I was doing 1200 cal per day and I only drink water as well (like 2 gallons per day). I upped my calories to 2100 (yes, you read right!) for 3 weeks so far and I have not gained/lost anything, so that shows me what I need to eat for maintenance. I plan on doing a 15% cut after week 4 on TDEE after resetting my metabolism. I am very active - walk about 35 miles per week and do videos/programs as well (30 Day Shred, Zuzana, etc).

I did the reset due to the fact that the scale was stalled for about a month no matter what I seemed to do. I am totally shocked that I can eat this much and still maintain! Trying to keep my macros at 40/30/30 even with the higher calories.