Half Marathon training support group?

Options

Replies

• curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Man, my long run sucked today. I got going late, then seemed to take about 3 miles before I got anywhere near comfortable, or settled with my running. Then my car key is jiggling around the the shirt that I took off when I got hot is riding up on my waist and then at the halfway mark when I checked my distance I realized I had forgot to switch back to the imapmyrun app on my phone so it wasn't picking up my miles. I was feeling tired so I guessed about how far I had come and was about 3/4 mile under my planned 12 miles. I was tired though. Don't know if it was not enough sleep or what, but ugh! I hate days like that. I drew out the map after I got home to see the distance and it was 11.25miles. Oh well. I didn't run my fastest, but i didn't run my slowest either, so that is good I suppose. Rest day tomorrow then hopefully things will start looking up. I think I need a new route, I am getting bored with my last few runs. Hmmm. My half is in 3 weeks.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Man, my long run sucked today. I got going late, then seemed to take about 3 miles before I got anywhere near comfortable, or settled with my running. Then my car key is jiggling around the the shirt that I took off when I got hot is riding up on my waist and then at the halfway mark when I checked my distance I realized I had forgot to switch back to the imapmyrun app on my phone so it wasn't picking up my miles. I was feeling tired so I guessed about how far I had come and was about 3/4 mile under my planned 12 miles. I was tired though. Don't know if it was not enough sleep or what, but ugh! I hate days like that. I drew out the map after I got home to see the distance and it was 11.25miles. Oh well. I didn't run my fastest, but i didn't run my slowest either, so that is good I suppose. Rest day tomorrow then hopefully things will start looking up. I think I need a new route, I am getting bored with my last few runs. Hmmm. My half is in 3 weeks.

I've found I run my best runs after I've had my worst. Matt Fitzgerald wrote a book called Brain Training for runners, it's very indepth and goes into the brain in a lot of detail - however, a lot of the main message, was don't feel bad about changing up your plan or quitting early, but get back out there with a good attitude the next time. We ALL have those days that just suck. I hope it makes you feel better just knowing you are not alone. Bad days suck! But I believe it's our bodies telling us to rest up and back off for a better response next time - Yoga is my solution.
  • slb106
    slb106 Posts: 70
    Options
    Aren't there water stations along the run? I just figured there would be. If not I need get a belt.

There should be water stations. My race had water, but no gatorade. I needed the sugar though because my blood sugar got too low around mile 10. I realized, for me, that I just need to start carrying something with me.

curlytop, I'm sorry that you had a tough run. I had an awful run the weekend before my half. Some days it just doesn't go as smoothly as I would like. I've found that switching up my routes helps keep my runs fun. You seem very prepared for your half! Good luck!

mlb, my opinion is to go with option #2. That way you won't be alone while running, but you won't have two intense days of running in a row. Just my thoughts :)

I haven't been able to work out since after my half because I injured my neck on Monday night. It's driving me crazy! I want to go out and run. I'm hoping that one more night of resting it and I'll be able to workout tomorrow.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Did a few miles on the treadmill today, and then a zumba class. My IT band is kind of achy, so I'm trying not to stress it too much before Saturday's race. Then maybe a few day's rest, and back into 1/2 training.
  • mlb929
    Options
    I finished my last long training run before my half in 2 weeks. I did 13 miles at a fairly good pace. It was a 30 mph wind, which really kicked my butt. I'm not generally sore and exhausted like I am today, took a bunch out of me. I'm hitting the hills tomorrow of my race route, just to get a chance to get them in once before my race. I'll be running in a different area and on a short time line next weekend, hoping to get two 6-9 mile runs in. It will be a beach run, so much harder than I'm used to.

I really struggle with eating on my long run days. I'm never hungry and don't have an appetite or much of a stomach for much of anything. I did my recovery drink and just having water and green tea for the moment.

Who has races this weekend?
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    I have a race tomorrow, and my knee is freaking out. It has gone from a twinge, to full on pain. Yikes. And tomorrow's race was supposed to be a 5k with a dozen obstacles, but it was lengthened to 4 miles and 30 some odd obstacles. I'm screwed!
  • mlb929
    Options
    I have a race tomorrow, and my knee is freaking out. It has gone from a twinge, to full on pain. Yikes. And tomorrow's race was supposed to be a 5k with a dozen obstacles, but it was lengthened to 4 miles and 30 some odd obstacles. I'm screwed!

Oh no. Rest, Ice - can you get in for a massage to get it stretched out?

When I ran my marathon last year, I ended up with knee pain - long story short, it was Runner's Knee, a muscle imbalance from too much running not enough cross training, hence why I only run 1-2 days a week now and crosstrain the rest to keep me injury free.

IMO - Pull out if you need to - not worth really causing you further injury
  • JonC03
    JonC03 Posts: 28
    Options
    I am gonna be sore tomorrow for sure. Did my long run today, just got back actually. 7.5 miles averaging just under a 9 minute per mile pace. left my phone at home and though i was averaging a 10 minute per mile pace, did the math wrong in my head while i was running.
  • kated930
    kated930 Posts: 132
    Options
    Oh no, I totally underestimate how fast I'm going unless I have some sort of gadget telling me! Just make sure to take it easy, but man, what a run!!

I am about to head out on my last long run- my half is next weekend. It is kind of bitter sweet! I am pretty nervous though because my long run last weekend was so nice (12 miles) that I was all amped for the race. Now if this one isn't as nice, it might psych me out for next weekend!

Enjoy your runs everybody :)

I am gonna be sore tomorrow for sure. Did my long run today, just got back actually. 7.5 miles averaging just under a 9 minute per mile pace. left my phone at home and though i was averaging a 10 minute per mile pace, did the math wrong in my head while i was running.
  • kated930
    kated930 Posts: 132
    Options
    good lord, running in the heat has an effect on me. My run was way slow, and pretty miserable. I hope that my race day temp is in the 60's.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am taking it easy until my race next saturday. I had some Achilles tendon issues after my hilly 4 mile run. I am hoping for temps in the 60s, too. I would love 50s and overcast personally lol
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    My knee was ok, and the race was so fun! Definitely nothing I've ever tried before. 4 miles, 27 obstacles, like waist deep mud, and crawling downhill in a tunnel not much bigger than me. Finished in 66 minutes, which I'm thrilled about, as I was thinking it would take me 20 minutes per mile, with all those obstacles slowing me down. And the BFH (Big F*cking Hill) did not kill me :) And it was big!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My knee was ok, and the race was so fun! Definitely nothing I've ever tried before. 4 miles, 27 obstacles, like waist deep mud, and crawling downhill in a tunnel not much bigger than me. Finished in 66 minutes, which I'm thrilled about, as I was thinking it would take me 20 minutes per mile, with all those obstacles slowing me down. And the BFH (Big F*cking Hill) did not kill me :) And it was big!

Nice job!

I've got a mud run next weekend. I signed up for it before I decided to train for a half marathon, so I'm just hoping I don't injure myself since the HM is creeping up... 6 weeks to go!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    oh lord, I ran for the first time in 3 weeks do to injury and boy did that suck. Injury is officially healed but the damage done to my stamina is.... really bad. I ran for about 25 minutes (with two one minute walk breaks) and it was painful. My heartrate hit 190 on my slow pace (5.5) and during a sprint it was over 200. Ugh.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    oh lord, I ran for the first time in 3 weeks do to injury and boy did that suck. Injury is officially healed but the damage done to my stamina is.... really bad. I ran for about 25 minutes (with two one minute walk breaks) and it was painful. My heartrate hit 190 on my slow pace (5.5) and during a sprint it was over 200. Ugh.

I'm sure it will come back quickly. The first workout or two after a break is always going to suck.

Just finished a cut back week where my longest run was 6.2 miles. Next week I get to try 9 miles for the first time! It will also be my first long run without my running partner, as our schedules this week completely suck. I know I NEED to do a few long runs by myself for mental conditioning, but I'm not looking forward to the first one.

Less than 7 weeks until my HM. Halfway there!
  • mlb929
    Options

I had surgery June 29 and was taken out of ANY exercise for 6 weeks - I recovered so quickly that the Dr released me to "mild" runs August 1 - My first run left me almost in tears it was so bad. I promised a friend I wouldn't track time for the first 2 weeks - and first time I timed myself I was almost back to where I left off. Now - 2 months later, I've surpassed where I was and making gains even faster. I couldn't believe how quickly I lost it - and how fast I got it back too. You will get there no problem!

I did my "hill" run today- it the actual hill I'll be running in my half marathon in 2 weeks. I'm in the Taper Mode - not so good at that - I'll do Insanity 3 days, recovery 1 day, then run the next two days - off Saturday and Sunday due to travel for work - and will do a recovery version of Insanity each day along with short fast runs the week before my half. I'll rest on Thursday and Friday with only Yoga. I've scheduled a massage for Monday - to release my piriformus muscles that get awfully tight. It's the countdown.

I have until October 31 to get the discount to sign up for my half I want to run in March, I'll schedule it now. But I'm almost wondering if I want to do it as a half or full marathon - I'll have to read the details online and figure out how easy and when I can switch over by. After my half in 2 weeks, I'm hoping to increase my mileage 1 mile every 2 weeks, but if I need to do more to marathon train, I have the time to do that too.
  • gfchica
    gfchica Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Is it okay if I jump in here? I'm training for my 4th half marathon and it's my first time really following a training plan. I just kind of winged it before.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    weeeee! Ran 40 minutes today, conquered my fear of running on a track, and it felt GREAT. Yesterday was such poo, and today is so good! :)

Question: The tips of my toes hurt after my run today (all except my big toes). Is this a. normal, b. something dealing with my shoe, c. dealing with my form, or d. none of the above?
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    weeeee! Ran 40 minutes today, conquered my fear of running on a track, and it felt GREAT. Yesterday was such poo, and today is so good! :)

Question: The tips of my toes hurt after my run today (all except my big toes). Is this a. normal, b. something dealing with my shoe, c. dealing with my form, or d. none of the above?
    Since becoming a distance runner my toes are totally different than they've ever been. My big toe nails turn white, lift from the nail bed and I constantly have to cut them back to avoid losing them all together. My second toenails are a total mess...they turned blackish before they started feeling like a different "substance"(best way I can describe) than my other toenails. I had to cut them back and when I did that I totally lost them. My other toenails are all normal! haha I think it just comes with the territory. I've gone up a half shoe size and still have the same issues. They only bother me on long runs though (well after the long run).
  • JonC03
    JonC03 Posts: 28
    Options

Hard to say. You can read all over the place where the wrong size shoe can cause a lot of toe problems. My shoes are plenty big but after i broke them in for a long time, like 4 months, my outside toes hit the end when i run and go numb. Takes about 5 miles before they go numb.