Sexy In Six R-1 Results, R-2 Week One! *closed group*

Options
123457»

Replies

• lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My healthy replacement for the donuts that I love so much are Vitatops. Every Thursday someone brings donuts into work. I bring my chocolate Vitatop and heat it up in the microwave. I usually only eat these on Thursdays so that they stay a treat for me. For the most part, they help keep me out of the donuts.

Those look great, but they're kind of expensive on their website. Is there somewhere to get them cheaper? I wonder if they could be homemade somehow...?

I have found them in the frozen organic section at Giant Eagle (local grocery store) and in the frozen section at Target. They are a bit pricey, but for a once a week treat, I think it's worth it. :)
  • drgirl1023
    drgirl1023 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    QOTD - Friday I am a big fan of tacos and tostadas - so here is one of my fav recipes:

Chicken Tostadas

8 tostada shells (6 inch)
    1-1/4 cups refried beans, warmed
    2 cups shredded lettuce
    2 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
    1 tomato, chopped
    1 avocado, chopped
    1/2 cup pico de gallo
    1 cup shredded KRAFT Monterey Jack Cheese
    1/2 cup BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Thurs QOTD: I replaced sodas with teas and coffee. I replaced high calorie ice creams with 40 calorie fudge bars.

Fri QOTD: I haven't really taken much off MFP's recipes, but I did see a good pumpkin spice muffin.

Pumpkin Spice Muffins
    Ingredients:
    1 box spice cake mix
    16 oz pumpkin puree

Mix the pumpkin and cake mix. Spoon into cupcake tins. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick removes cleanly from the center. Makes 12 muffins(180 calories), or 24 mini-muffins (90 calories each).
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Fri QOTD:

This recipe is from Cooking Light, and you can tweak it to make it more or less spicy. It's a favorite at our house, and very easy:

Pork Vindaloo

2 (3 1/2-ounce) bags boil-in-bag brown rice
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    1 (8-ounce) container prechopped onion
    1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 1/4 teaspoons garam masala
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon mustard seeds
    2 teaspoons bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Preparation
    1. Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; set aside.
    2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Combine pork and next 5 ingredients (through red pepper); toss well. Add pork mixture to pan; sauté for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
    3. Add broth to pan, scraping bottom of pan to loosen browned bits. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and vinegar. Serve over rice.
  • slender_sunshine
    Options
    Friday's QOTD: Well, I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I love pumpkin spiced lattes. Unfortunately, those can add up fast when you get them at Starbucks (both the calories and the money). BUT, there is a great recipe for them on skinnytaste.com, as well as a recipe for pumpkin butter that I have started gifting to people because everyone loves it so much. Both are really low cal (especially compared to their full cal versions). So here it is, word for word from the site.

Skinny Pumpkin Spiced Latte
    Servings: 2 • Serving Size: 1 latte • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 115.6 • Fat: 0.4 g • Protein: 6.6 g • Carb: 20.8 g • Fiber: 0.7 g

1 1/2 cups fat free milk
    2 tbsp pumpkin butter
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    2 tsp sugar or sugar substitute (to taste)
    1/4 cup of espresso (or 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee works)
    fat free whipped topping
    pumpkin pie spice for topping
    In a small pan combine milk, pumpkin butter and sugar and cook on medium heat, stirring, until boiling. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth (or whisk well with a wire whisk)

Pour into two mugs, add the hot espresso and top with fat free whipped cream and a dash of pumpkin pie spice on top.

And here is the link for the homemade pumpkin butter (which is super easy to make): http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/10/pumpkin-butter.html
  • slender_sunshine
    Options
    Fridays question
    I struggled with this one, as I'm a college student and a vast majority of my meals come from A. the freezer, B. a box, or C. a can.
    but I do love my crock pot, and since it's fall, (even though it's 80 here, for some reason) I thought that this would be perfect

2-3 chicken breasts
    1 can of cream of chicken soup
    chicken broth
    quartered red potatoes
    carrots

I put the chicken in the bottom, fill the crock pot about 1/2 full with potatoes and carrots, add the cream of chicken soup, and add enough broth to cover everything. Start it around 8-9 am and it's ready for dinner, super easy =)

This sounds great , for winter especially :)
  • slender_sunshine
    Options
    My healthy replacement for the donuts that I love so much are Vitatops. Every Thursday someone brings donuts into work. I bring my chocolate Vitatop and heat it up in the microwave. I usually only eat these on Thursdays so that they stay a treat for me. For the most part, they help keep me out of the donuts.

Those look great, but they're kind of expensive on their website. Is there somewhere to get them cheaper? I wonder if they could be homemade somehow...?

I have found them in the frozen organic section at Giant Eagle (local grocery store) and in the frozen section at Target. They are a bit pricey, but for a once a week treat, I think it's worth it. :)

Ah ok, I'll have to check at Target, thanks :)
  • Magic_Girl
    Options
    Friday QOTD: So, Friday's question is, what is your favourite recipe or meal suggestion that you have found since you've been on MFP?

I don't really have any special recipes. I did read something about freezing bananas and putting them in the blender to make a sweet soft-serve. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it's delicious! :)
    Also, I like making frozen fruit smoothies. I use Dole's frozen mixed fruit, contains (strawberries, mangoes, peaches, and pineapple), then I blend it with a plain or light vanilla yogurt and a little bit of water for volume. It tastes amazing! Sometimes I don't use yogurt and just add a little splash of water (it makes it easier to blend and it adds more volume to the smoothie). It's better to defrost the fruit a little bit so that it blends easier, but if you want a frozen and thick smoothie then don't defrost it for too long and don't use too much water. Also, don't defrost the whole bag, because the fruit you don't use and put back into the freezer will stick together and make it harder to scoop out in the future.

p.s. I don't add sugar or sweetener because the fruit itself is sweet and so is the yogurt (depending on what kind you get).
  • arcticbear
    arcticbear Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    one half fat mozarella
    one generous handful of fresh basil
    olive oil
    lemon juice
    salt pepper
    beef tomatoes

Slice tomatoes and mozarella and arrange on a plate interlaced with basil. Sprinkle with oil/juice mix, salt pepper. Can add two or three cloves crushed garlic to oil.

Love it!!!
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    So, Friday's question is, what is your favorite recipe or meal suggestion that you have found since you've been on MFP?

This is one question that I can't answer very well. While I like to cook for groups of people, I don't really like to cook for just me. Which means that I don't actually have any recipes... And when I do cook, it's pretty no frills, e.g. I made a chicken breast with Ms. Dash Chicken Seasoning and sliced potatoes with country french vinaigrette spices from Penzy's (best spice store ever). Not exactly gourmet...
  • 160poundgirl
    Options
    Friday QOTD

I haven't really found any recipes yet on MFP (haven't been looking either) but i discovered laughing cow cheese and all the yummy low calorie ways to enjoy it- my fav. so far is with sun dried tomato crackers!! yum, yum yum!!!
  • kristyann86
    kristyann86 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    FRIDAY QOTD: FAVORITE RECIPES

when i have plenty of calories to spare i fix what i call "creamy noodles." it's something with a fancy name (but i am the worst cook). anyway i boil elbow noodles. while that's boiling i'll mix 1 tblsp of cream cheese and 1 tblsp of sour cream and 1 tblsp of butter in a separate bowl. i'll add some oregano, silantro, seasoning, rosemary, basil or anything like that (combos change to whatever is available in the cabinet). and mix it around as the sauce. once noodles are done, they're drained and put into the bowl. sauce really becomes ooey gooey and tadah! "creamy noodles." yummy yummy :)
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Wonderful suggestions everyone!! And not to worry if your suggestion isn't in the "gourmet" category... sorry if my question gave that impression! One of my favourite lunches is sliced veggies (whatever I've got on hand but hopefully including cucumber lol) roasted red pepper dip and garlic & chive pita bites from Costco. Mmmm
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    So, Friday's question is, what is your favourite recipe or meal suggestion that you have found since you've been on MFP?

Since I love sweets and am the resident baker of the family, I decided to share one of my favorites with you. It is so easy to make.

Strawberry Banana Pudding Trifle

1/2 angel food cake mix
    Hershey's - Cocoa - Natural Unsweetened, 3 tbsp
    Jello Instant Pudding - Banana Cream Fat Free Sugar Free Prepared W/Skim Milk, 1 container (2 cup - prepareds ea.)
    2 quarts fresh strawberries
    Cool Whip - Whipped Topping - Lite, 1 container
    Nestle - Toll House Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips Morsels, 4 tbsp

Prepare the angel food cake according to directions, adding the cocoa to make it chocolate angel food cake (note, the recipe only uses half of the baked angel food cake. If you are baking the entire cake, you will need to double the cocoa.)

While the cake is baking:

Slice the strawberries (I use an egg slicer to get them nice and thin).

Prepare the pudding according to directions.

I make this in a trifle dish. Break up the angel food cake into small cubes. Add one layer of angel food cake cubes to the trifle dish. Then add one layer of banana pudding. Then one layer of strawberries. Then one layer of Cool Whip. Sprinkle half of the mini chocolate chips on top. Then repeat with a second layer of each - angel food cake, pudding, strawberries, Cool Whip, chocolate chips.

This makes 12 generous servings.

Per serving:
    Calories - 180
    Carbs - 34
    Fat - 4
    Protein - 4
    Fiber - 2
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Friday QOTD: So, Friday's question is, what is your favourite recipe or meal suggestion that you have found since you've been on MFP?

I'm going to keep it simple: couscous is amazing! :bigsmile:
  • emilytgs24
    emilytgs24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    kristyann86--Holy cow! Your popcorn sounds amazing! I'm trying it tomorrow night! :)
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOTD -- What have you found as a healthy replacement for your favorite unhealthy foods?
    I eat a tablespoon of nutella when I am having a major chocolate craving

Friday QOTD - So, Friday's question is, what is your favourite recipe or meal suggestion that you have found since you've been on MFP?

I use a seasoned rub called N'orleans chicken seasoning I think. It is sold in the spice area of Walmart. I like to cover a chicken breast in it and then cut it into slices and use that to make a sandwich. I usually put 2 Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedges (Creamy Swiss) on the bread, lay the slices of chicken in it, and then fill it full of lettuce. It's my favorite thing in the world.
  • emilytgs24
    emilytgs24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My husband and I had this last week and it was awesome! I’m lazy so I started it as the recipe says to but instead of baking it I transferred everything from the pan to a crock pot before I went to work. It turned out really well!

Soy and Cola-Braised Pork Shoulder

Serve this East-meets-West pulled pork on hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls with shaved cucumber and carrot ribbons tossed with rice vinegar. Or stuff it into tortillas for Asian-style tacos with matchstick-cut cucumber and carrot. Cooking light-October 2011

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
    1 (3 1/2-pound) bone-in pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups cola (such as Coca-Cola)
    1/2 cup hoisin sauce
    1/4 cup rice vinegar
    1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
    1 cup diagonally sliced green onions

Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 300°.
    2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan. Sprinkle pork evenly with salt. Add pork to pan; sauté for 8 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Remove pork. Add ginger and garlic; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in cola and the next 3 ingredients (through soy sauce); bring to a boil. Return pork to pan; cover. Bake at 300° for 1 hour and 50 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Remove pork from pan, and let stand for 10 minutes. Shred pork with 2 forks. Skim fat from cooking liquid.
    3. Place pan over medium-high heat; bring cooking liquid to a boil. Cook 15 minutes or until reduced to about 2 cups, stirring occasionally. Combine pork and 3/4 cup sauce in a bowl; toss to coat. Top with green onions. Serve pork with remaining 1 1/4 cups sauce.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 316
    Fat: 18.3g
    Saturated fat: 6.4g
    Monounsaturated fat: 8.2g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 2.8g
    Protein: 24.3g
    Carbohydrate: 12.8g
    Fiber: 0.7g
    Cholesterol: 91mg
    Iron: 2.1mg
    Sodium: 574mg
    Calcium: 39mg
  • codonnell13
    codonnell13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    So, Friday's question is, what is your favorite recipe or meal suggestion that you have found since you've been on MFP?

I have fallen in love with tabbouleh. You can make it from plain bulgar and spice it yourself, but my grocery store carries a kind with all of the spices already mixed in. I just add tomato, feta, and chicken and I have lunch for a couple of days.
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Friday: I recently chopped up broccoli, put 1/4 cup of kraft skim mozza on top, and in the micro for 1min, the moisture in the cheese lightly steams the brocco, it's SO good, and easy to take to work/school.

I also made this up...tastes really fresh!! 85 dry gram (1 serving) w.w pasta, 3 cocktail tomatoes, 3 green onions chopped up, 1/4 kraft skim mozza (freaking love this stuff), 1 tsp evoo. cook pasta, then throw in veggies, cook them a bit with the evoo, then add in the skim mozza at the end just to melt it-delish!!!

like many people on here i love SKINNY TASTE!!! I used to visit hungry girl too but i feel like skinny tastes uses more veggies and less processed stuff??? maybe i'm crazy!