Autumn/Winter Soup Recipes

Options

Replies

• vsharkey
    vsharkey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's still plenty warm here in Louisiana, but the boyfriend and I made the Quick Chicken-Corn Chowder from Cooking Light for dinner last night. It was fast, easy, and SO GOOD. We left out the jalapeno, but the red pepper gave it a little bit of zing.

Serving size: 1 cup
    Serves 6

2 tbsp butter
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped celery
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    2 tbsp all-purpose flour
    3 cups 2% reduced fat milk
    2 cups chopped cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (about 3 ears)
    1 tsp chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 tsp ground red pepper
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 (14 3/4 oz) can cream style corn

Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and jalapeno; cook for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook until thick (about 5 minutes).

257 cals per serving, 8.1 g fat, 19.1 g protein, 28.6 g carbs
    (It seems a bit high, but 1 cup of this was a meal in itself. And it is a chowder.)
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    bump i'll be back!!!!!

Winter warmer soup

1 teaspoon olive oil
    2 large onions diced
    3 clove of garlic crushed
    3 sticks of celery diced
    2 carrots diced
    1 courgette diced
    1 can butterbeans drained
    2 tins chopped tomato
    1 pint chicken stock
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 teaspoons Italian herbs

Method

1. In a large heavy bottom pot sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil over a gentle heat until soft, approx 10 minute.
    2. Add the celery, carrot, and courgette and continue to heat for a further 10 minutes.
    3. Add butterbeans, tomato, stock, salt & pepper, and the herbs.
    4. Bring to the boil then reduce to a low heat and cook for 15 minutes.

This looks tasty, and it is made from stuff that I usually have in every week :)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    These sounds amazing!
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    Creamy Cauliflower Soup - ate this all winter and into spring last year, can't wait to make again this fall.

Soften a couple cups of chopped onion in a tiny splash of olive oil, add a few cloves of garlic, a bunch of chopped up celery (great place to use the leaves), a head of cauliflower, and a couple cartons of chicken broth. Simmer for about 30-40 minutes, until all is tender. Puree into a delicious and filling cream soup for about 35 calories per bowl. The cauliflower makes this super creamy without having to add any dairy.

Yummmmmmmm!
  • houle123
    Options
    Bump
  • maremare312
    Options
    Egg Drop Soup (NOT LIKE A RESTAURANT)- Here is a simple soup that is hot and great for a fast fix. Simply simmer water in a saucepan, add chicken boullion to taste (I like "Better Than Boullion-no MSG!), chives or green onion bits, and whisk in an egg, continually stirring with wisk. Don't bring it to a hard rolling boil or a kind of eggy scum forms on the top. You want to wisk in the egg before the water gets all the way hot so that it doesn't cook up into little chunks before you can blend it into the broth. Just calculate calories based on your ingredients used.

Yum! I do a similar one but have to add exttras--diced water chestnuts and sauteed mushrooms are good, and so it bits of leftover cooked chicken. Forgot about it, thanks for the reminder!
  • mona24523
    Options
    bump
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    African Chicken Peanut Stew. This could easily be made Vegetarian as well.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/african_chicken_peanut_stew/

I like it spicy with LOTS of cilantro.

Bump :) SOunds great:) Thank you!
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    bump
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!
  • meuy43
    meuy43 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Creamy Cauliflower Soup - ate this all winter and into spring last year, can't wait to make again this fall.

Soften a couple cups of chopped onion in a tiny splash of olive oil, add a few cloves of garlic, a bunch of chopped up celery (great place to use the leaves), a head of cauliflower, and a couple cartons of chicken broth. Simmer for about 30-40 minutes, until all is tender. Puree into a delicious and filling cream soup for about 35 calories per bowl. The cauliflower makes this super creamy without having to add any dairy.

I made this soup today, it's tasty and guilt free!! TY

What I used:
    1 Carton Liptons Vegetable Broth (I'm vegetarian, I'm sure chicken would be just as good!)
    1C chopped onions
    2 cloves of garlic
    1C Chopped Celery
    1 Small head of Caulifower
    As an afterthought I added 1/2 tsp salt - it needed something!

Served my bowl with cracked pepper on top.
    Need to think of something to spice it up a lil maybe. it's very neutral flavoured soup, maybe because I was afraid of going overboard with garlic.
  • Bon226
    Bon226 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Charlie175
    Charlie175 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for posting all these recipes. I'm just getting to be a soup person and excited to try different things!
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Quinoa Soup

1 can or fresh tomatoes
    black beans
    1/2 cup quinoa
    corn kernals
    garlic paste
    cillantro
    red chili pepper paste
    - really anything else you would like-

what is the broth??? and do you put cook quinoa in soup or does it cook in soup?
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump i'll be back!!!!!

Winter warmer soup

1 teaspoon olive oil
    2 large onions diced
    3 clove of garlic crushed
    3 sticks of celery diced
    2 carrots diced
    1 courgette diced
    1 can butterbeans drained
    2 tins chopped tomato
    1 pint chicken stock
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 teaspoons Italian herbs

Method

1. In a large heavy bottom pot sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil over a gentle heat until soft, approx 10 minute.
    2. Add the celery, carrot, and courgette and continue to heat for a further 10 minutes.
    3. Add butterbeans, tomato, stock, salt & pepper, and the herbs.
    4. Bring to the boil then reduce to a low heat and cook for 15 minutes.

This looks tasty, and it is made from stuff that I usually have in every week :)

what is courgette ?
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maremare312
    Options
    I'm totally making this sometime in the next week. Sounds so good! I love lentils and sausage. I'm going to replace the spinach with kale as I prefer it in stew/soup.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2011/10/sausage-and-lentil-stew-slow-cooker.html