Down 161 lbs since January 2011, feeling great Update

Options

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Great job, thanks for sharing..keep MFP'rs motivated!!! That said, I need to jack up my walking/jogging and shift into another gear.

Can you give the Eagles a call and help train them!?

Sux about Ryan Howard, he tore his achilles on the last play of the game. The Redsox need some serious training as well, about 75% of their team was injured this year. The one player that wasn't was Ellsbury. I have no idea whats going on with the Eagles, those guys should be a lot better than their record. I guess it's true on any given Sunday.
  • skinz2k2
    skinz2k2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Wow bro, that's the work! Way to burn it down and get healthy. Keep it up!
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    wow what did u do for exercise, you look amazinggggggg!!

Mostly cardio, I started out walking 2 miles around the neighborhood a couple times a week, then did some wii games to break the monotony, then did some walking/jogging and now I do mostly jogging/running. When I started out I was doing about 30 minutes a day, now I do around an hour or so. I have also started within the last month of working with a personal trainer two days a week for an hour plus running 4 to 5 days a week. He wants me to slow down on the cardio a little.

LIsten to your trainer, excess cardio kills. So happy to read about your accomplishments. :) Thanks for all the pics, very encouraging to those who will soon be where you are. Have you considered using Kettlebells. I heartily recommend using Lauren Brooks DVD Ultimate Body Sculpt and Conditioning with Kettlebells. Watching your transition and reading your posts, I would think you'd be very happy with the ROI (return on investment) from Kettlebells at this stage of your journey!

I have some Kettlebells, I am sure the trainer will work them in some how, the bells are actually my wives so I don't know if they are heavy enough for me, I think they are like 10, 15, and 20lbs.

They are a great place to start! I started with a 4 kg/9 lb Kettlebell, rapidly progressed to a 12 kg/26 lb bell (in about a month) which is average for females. Then I grew in strength a little and added a 16 kg/35 lb bell. Looking at your physique, I'd start you on her small bells just to learn excellent technique. When you can perform an exercise safely for 4-8 reps, I'd move up a bell in size. Most guys, even if they can lift crazy amounts in the gym, are happy with a 16 kg/35 lb bell and the very strong go up a little.

I would encourage you to check out Mark's Daily Apple for other couples like the two of you. Now that, like me, morbid obesity is becoming past tense and not present, you may be interested in shifting your nutrition and fitness a little bit to what will give you the most maximizing of your health after all the years of being out of balance.

Losing weight was the 1st and only goal I started with 2 years ago. Now I have a daughter who is almost 6 and I want to stick around a long time while having LOTS of energy for her. About 7 months ago, I thought that everything my trainer and I were doing around food and movement were perfect and had been for awhile (see ticker) but reading other stories of folks with the same health goals I had over at Mark's Daily Apple and Chris Kresser's the Healthy Skeptic gave me a couple of missing pieces of the puzzle that I didn't even know were missing. The results are I'm developing a 6 pack in my kitchen, rather than the gym. I'm using my kettlebell, sprinting and very slow walking to heal my body so that it's natural potential is unleashed. I am not dieting but have a sustainable way of living that builds muscle without my trying and increases every health marker my doc can measure.

I still have 63-83 lbs to shed and can expect to continue to become stronger, younger biologically and more disease proof. The transformation for me will not be complete when the extra fat is gone. Decades of being morbidly obese left my my finances devastated from years of being disabled, on a fixed income and not able to continue a promising college/career path. My goals include returning to college, completing a medical degree in Traditional Chinese Medicine and owning my own land and home. Most of all, I want to physically do all the fun things I couldn't when I was too weak to get up out of my recliner. I look forward to my returning vitality every morning when I wake up and cherish each and every NSV as much or more than the reduction in pounds.
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Inspiring progress!! You definitely earned that "superman" shirt!! Great job! So glad you FEEL great as well!:smile:
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishment, you look amazing!
  • Steve_FromThe_Rock
    Steve_FromThe_Rock Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishment...keep it up
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Great job!!!!
  • LAWIII
    LAWIII Posts: 50
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!
  • runAMBIErun
    runAMBIErun Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh...you and your wife just gave me more motivation!!!!! Good luck losing the rest of those pounds!!
  • Southernsister
    Southernsister Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    GREAT job.....you look like a nevv person.
  • mathewb001
    Options
    You sir, are the man! :drinker:
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Kudos to you and your loss!!!
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230
    Options
    You look fantastic!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! WHAT AN ACHIEVEMENT! HARD WORK TRULY PAYING OFF!
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable! I had to call my husband to the room so he could see...

LOL.. I did too. We were both amazed, and without gastric bypass. I am so impressed. This is why I love the success stories, especially with the pics! Thanks for posting it.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Love the pics of your wife too. Congrats to you both. Keep us updated with the pics!
  • flutterby6973
    Options
    wahooo!!! amazing!
  • bevhols
    bevhols Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    good for you and your wife! Way to go! My husband and I are both working together and using MFP ... you are an inspiration to two old birds!
  • broby425
    Options
    Rock on! Very inspirational. Nicely done!
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!! AMAZING JOB!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!