Women strength training... for real

Options

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I read on either a forum post or a blog on here, that a lady said that the 'sides' of her ribs hurt after lifting. I've noticed that this week too! What's up with that??
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I read on either a forum post or a blog on here, that a lady said that the 'sides' of her ribs hurt after lifting. I've noticed that this week too! What's up with that??

Most likely it's simply muscle soreness. Likely your serratus anterior muscles.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Here is my latest picture with more weights on:

squattingaintpretty-1.jpg

061901_173801-1-1.jpg
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Nice pictures. How deep are you squatting?
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Here is my latest picture with more weights on:

squattingaintpretty-1.jpg

061901_173801-1-1.jpg

Nice job!
  • Derv
    Derv Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So after my 3 mths of Chalean Extreme at home I'm back at the weights room at the gym.
    Today's workout
    Supersets -
    5 sets
    A1 > Deadlift - 45kg , 6x5
    A2 > Flat DB Press, hammergrip - 10kgs 6 x5

4sets
    B1 > One legged calf raise with bicep curl. 6kg. 12x4
    B2 > 30degree DB Press - 10kg, 7x4

(1kg=2.2lbs)

p.s Great pics above!
  • MsQt
    Options

Thanks you two! Well I can go a bit deeper than that but my PT like to spot me when I do it so that's as far as he lets me squat while taking pics of me. I can actually squat 185 right now and Friday I'm going for 200 which is gonna be my max. I'm only trying to make my glutes stand out more
  • stroutman81
    Options

Thanks you two! Well I can go a bit deeper than that but my PT like to spot me when I do it so that's as far as he lets me squat while taking pics of me. I can actually squat 185 right now and Friday I'm going for 200 which is gonna be my max. I'm only trying to make my glutes stand out more

Just so you know, the depth your squatting to in the pictures doesn't bring your glutes into play. Hardly at all. Glute and hamstring recruitment will be strongest at the bottom of a deep squat where, at the very least, the tops of your thighs are parallel to the floor.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Is it better to go down on a squat parallel thighs to the floor or even deeper?
  • MsQt
    Options
    I can go deeper but my PT didn't want me going that deep because I didn't have a spotter for the picture. But I do agree with you on deep squat which he is trying to get my form perfected. I'm just scared :(
  • ecaz
    ecaz Posts: 115
    Options
    BUMP for later when I'm home - can't watch the video at work...
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this post. I think women who can lift are amazing! I am not afraid to lift as much as I possibly can (admittedly, not much), but I hope to get better. Muscles on women are sexy. It's too bad more women don't understand that weights do not bulk you. I think women's bodybuilding competitions have led somewhat to that thought process. Shame.
  • stroutman81
    Options

It's going to depend on the individuals build, mobility, stability, etc. In general, I'll have my clients squat to slightly below parallel assuming they're able to reach that point safely.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I can go deeper but my PT didn't want me going that deep because I didn't have a spotter for the picture. But I do agree with you on deep squat which he is trying to get my form perfected. I'm just scared :(

Okay... just making sure. The vast majority of trainers wouldn't know proper squat form if it slapped them upside the head.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    great post
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

It's going to depend on the individuals build, mobility, stability, etc. In general, I'll have my clients squat to slightly below parallel assuming they're able to reach that point safely.

So if I can go deeper than parallel, I should? I just go to parallel now (and watch in the mirror to make sure I do).
  • Derv
    Derv Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was taught to squat "ATG" = *kitten* to grass, so below parallel, you've just got the take the mental leap of faith and drop down that bit more.
    Lol, tried to find a good demo video - found this!
    http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sex_girls_pictures_hot_pics_photo_women/make_ur_girlfriendsand_bootycalls_back_squat_atg
  • stroutman81
    Options

So if I can go deeper than parallel, I should? I just go to parallel now (and watch in the mirror to make sure I do).

Parallel is fine. If you want to go slightly deeper, you can. But don't sacrifice tightness for depth. A lot of people will try to go *kitten* to the grass by letting up on their muscle contraction in hips and thighs and that's a no no. It'd be better to see your form on video, which you can film, upload to a private video on youtube, and email me if you'd like.

Oh, and if the mirror is to the side, which is where it'd really need to be in order to assess your depth well, don't be turning your head to check form while squatting.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Parallel is fine. If you want to go slightly deeper, you can. But don't sacrifice tightness for depth. A lot of people will try to go *kitten* to the grass by letting up on their muscle contraction in hips and thighs and that's a no no. It'd be better to see your form on video, which you can film, upload to a private video on youtube, and email me if you'd like.

Oh, and if the mirror is to the side, which is where it'd really need to be in order to assess your depth well, don't be turning your head to check form while squatting.

Ha, yeah, I AM totally turning my head to check. Opps. I'll stop doing that.

And you're awesome Steve. You give out too much free advice!

But I think my form is okay, and I have no one to film it anyway, but thanks.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Here are some of the best resources I've seen out on the interwebz regarding squatting. There are others as I've not updated that thread in a while:

http://www.forum-body-improvements.com/showthread.php?t=287