Do you drink alcohol?

Options

Replies

• BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I really like drinking. I like to drink Jack Daniel's and Pepsi which I figured is about 172 cal per drink and I can easliy drink 4-5 in one night which is a lot of calories! Since I have been on MFP the only times I went over my calorie goal were on days that I was drinking so for that reason I have decided to really try to cut it out altogether. I won't say I will never drink anymore or even that when I do drink I will limit myself to one or two but I definitely will try to make it less often, maybe once a month or less.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    On the weekends I spend my daytime getting in some good burns so I have plenty of calories to work with. I'll have 6-9 vodka sodas and maybe a couple shots. I do this 2-3 times a month and it hasn't hindered my weight loss.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I drink on big social occasions, but not really during the week. I'll have what I want. I love a good cold Gin and slimline tonic, but I also love a delicious fruit bellini or glass of champagne. Not a huge fan of red wine or still whites but will drink when it dictates. Have a cheeky glass of port at dining-in nights. Other than that, its very dehydrating and can't afford to be dehydrated with my phys levels so don't drink much or often!
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    I used to drink a lot, I was probably a borderline alcoholic. I was drinking 2-3 glasses of wine every night, sometimes more. It had caused a lot of my weight gain and general unhappiness with myself. Finally, I decided that I was wasting my life, and my liver, away and I stopped. Not completely cold turkey, I will have a glass of wine at a restaurant every few weeks, but I don't drink at home anymore. I feel a million times better and it is really helping in the weight-loss department.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Yes - I do drink and it's pretty frequently. I do drink in social situations but I have obtained it also as a habit (with dinner, watching a movie, etc.) I'm attempting to ween off it a bit as I know my weight-loss plateau and my drinking are in direct correlation. I am, however, quite proud that I can drink most of my male friends under the table. :bigsmile: I drink it all, too. As of late, my typical order is some Jack and Coke Zero :drinker:
  • bugsygal89
    bugsygal89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do. I used to drink a few times a week but I realized that the calories really add up and it just isn't worth it. I'll have a glass as a treat every once in a while but limit myself to that. Then again, when I drink I get the munchies so I have two reasons to avoid drinking frequently :-P
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    If so, why? If not, why not?

Just wondering, as I am considering going tee-total for a number of reasons, mostly health/diet related. (I'm not an alcoholic) So do you drink? What are your motivating factors for drinking/not drinking?

No judgement either way :)

edith xx
    Nope. I have the yearly beer (usually with pizza), but after watching many friends get DUI's and a couple being hit by drunk drivers, I find that SOMEONE should be sober at all times at any party or social gathering.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I used to drink every weekend when we went out with friends, but nowadays I rarely have a drink. I may have one here and there, but it will be months in between.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I'm a social drinker. A run and diek coke but only 1 (never more than 2). I would say every other weekend or 3 weeks to a month.
  • ebonaskavi
    ebonaskavi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think that if you want to avoid the "spoil sport" issue and not make a deal out of it, order your drink at the bar and get a club soda or a diet coke and ask for them to put it in the same glass as they would serve a mixed drink. I've done this on a number of occasions when I just didn't feel like drinking or didn't want the calories.

I think when one person in the group isn't drinking it can make the other people feel uncomfortable or judged and that's why they pressure. Faking it alleviates the pressure.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It's my only vice left, thank heavens! Wine, yes! essence of the god's, and I only drink reds. Red Bordeaux, Argentinian Malbecs, Spanish Tempranillo and Italian deliciousness. Some Californians aren't bad either, but I don't like Cabernets, I stay away from whites mostly, but I've found a nice white I can cook with that's got a flavor that enhances the food and doesn't over power it, and once in a while I'll have a glass.

And since I'm sensitive to wheat and sprouted grains, Potato vodka from Poland. I even entered it as a food here. It's only 75 calories for 1.5 ounces, I only drink at the end of my day when I'm done with everything that having a full time job, being a wife and mom, cook, housekeeper, and all the stuff that goes with it will allow.

So, yes, yes, yes, I drink it! Everything else is illegal.
  • edith_t
    edith_t Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think that if you want to avoid the "spoil sport" issue and not make a deal out of it, order your drink at the bar and get a club soda or a diet coke and ask for them to put it in the same glass as they would serve a mixed drink. I've done this on a number of occasions when I just didn't feel like drinking or didn't want the calories.

I think when one person in the group isn't drinking it can make the other people feel uncomfortable or judged and that's why they pressure. Faking it alleviates the pressure.

that's a good idea, as it is hard to be the only one! thanks :)
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I drink. I don't drink often, usually only about once every few months or so. When I do drink, it's because I feel like it and I've been known to drink a bottle to a bottle and a half of wine at one time, or 2-3 of the biggest size swirl margarita's On The Border has. I drink it, I enjoy it, then I go another few months without drinking because I just don't feel like it.
  • bethgarzonie
    Options
    I do have to have a margarita about once every 2 weeks on Friday. I have changed it up and cut the calories and sugar with the "skinny margarita" though. I have also tried diet margarita mix (it's ok, but I prefer the fresh squeezed lime).
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine or a beer about once a week. My fiance enjoys beer and wine and it's nice to relax :) I work it into my calories. I'm such a lightweight now because I've lost so much that it gives me a pretty good buzz--I can't drink more than 1.5 drinks before being pretty drunk now haha
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    to those of you who drank and then gave up on account of diet reasons, how have your friends reacted to this? whenever i have gone out with friends who are drinking and have told them i'm not, i get the 'spoilsport, you never let your hair down' looks/speech. yes this is peer pressure, but it's not so easy to say 'well don't be friends with them' when i do consider them to be very close friends and i value their friendship enormously. has this happened to anyone and how have you dealt with it?

One of my best friends drinks a lot! She's asked me if I'm going to have a drink and I say no...I no longer like the taste and I'll have Perrier when she has wine...we just let each other do what we want and aren't judgemental. Life is tough enough. I'm too old to care what others think...my problem is eating too much and if I 'binge' my friend is supportive, not critical.
    Sounds like your pals aren't true friends, but more like people who just want to be part of a like-minded group. Or let them know how you have changed. Maybe they'll be supportive. If not, find another group who won't try to make you feel bad about yourself...especially since it seems you are trying to do some good for yourself.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I like to drink good beer on occasion.
    Sometimes I will go weeks without one, sometimes I will have one or 2 a night for 2-3 nights in a row if I have a nice mixed 6 in the fridge.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    yes. i am very into craft beers and bourbon. i don't drink much or often but i do drink. mostly because i really enjoy the taste.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options

that's a good idea, as it is hard to be the only one! thanks :)

i'm sorry but if your friends are giving you a hard time about not drinking then you really need new friends.
  • jlowensby
    jlowensby Posts: 142
    Options
    I am what you would call a "social drinker." Sometimes out with friends yes I will drink. That very rare occasion out with the hubby..I will drink some...about once or twice I year I drink a lot to actually get drunk or buzzed..but most nights you will find alcohol no where near me..