Do you drink alcohol?

Options

Replies

• sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is usually high calorie and disables your liver's ability to metabolize fat, so no I prefer weed. Every once in a while though!
  • fabalas_seanne
    Options
    saturdays are my drinking day :) ill share a dance with Vodka or some laughs with beer hehee or vice versa.... i love having a drink with my friends & im not changing my lifestyle in this section if its what i love.... ill just work my butt of more :)
  • chippywelsh
    chippywelsh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I love it! I stick mostly to weekend drinking and holidays and I drink in moderation - well most of the time. I did give up entirely for 2 months and saw no benefits at all and just didn't have quite such a good time with friends.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    not as a rule. Mostly its because I *can* drink..and get up fine the next day. When I think about it though, its a huge waste of money, for nothing (as in nutritional value), and like some others have said, I don't want to drink my calories.

ETA, plus I don't much like the taste of beer or wines. If I do have a drink, its scotch and coke, no ice. The pear cider was interesting though.
  • emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    Rarely. Use to almost every weekend but would only have sugar free cruisers or vodka and diet soda. Now I don't go out much so haven't drank in about 3-4 months
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I love a glass of red wine a few nights a week. I always account for it in my calorie intake. Red wine and chocolate - two things I refuse to give up but won't allow to control me either! In past diet attempts, I went full speed ahead and then crashed into a brick wall. I needed to learn that everything in moderation is ok. For me, wine and chocolate aren't derailing my efforts because I don't overdo it. If I gave up everything I enjoyed then I would fail.

Ditto here!

I love this comment, and am the same. Deprivation of something you love is silly, and in the long run is not sustainable. I lost the weight I needed to lose incorporating red wine into the mix, and have been maintaining for a year and a half the same way.......
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I thoroughly enjoy a drink but don't drink heavily. I try to limit alcohol consumption to weekends, when my partner and I typically split a bottle of wine. I enjoy a single malt now and then. An occasional beer (I prefer real ale to the fizzy alternative).
    I used to drink a glass of wine most nights, but stopped that when I started trying to lose weight again. It's my birthday today, and I will definitely be enjoying a couple of glasses of red tonight!

Alcohol definitely makes me retain water. After two glasses of wine, my weight is up 2-3 lb the next day, and it takes a couple of days for that to shift.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I am a Kiwi so when younger was totally locked in to the weekend binge drink culture. Since i had a child it has cut back and I have been almost teetotal for most of the year. That said life gets soooooooo boring my husband works away, so its all work (I am a full time sales rep) and then being a mother and on top of that my mother in law died suddenly of a stroke at 58, then my father had a stroke two weeks later and we've had to put him in a home, all in all life has got too stressful to not have a glass or two of wine at the weekend.
    I do think cutting it out has been the big factor in finally getting down to 60ish kgs from 65+ which has taken a decade of trying for me to achieve (oh that and NO social life due to work/mother thing!).
    But I"ve decided to give myself a break and have a damm glass of wine when I want now.
    And NO I'm not going to factor it in as then I don't even enjoy it I'll just feel guilty.
    SO THERE!!!! :)
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I like to have red wine with my dinner. The motorvation to not drink is that I can't lose weight while drinking alcohol.
  • RuchikaPal
    RuchikaPal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i occasionally had a drink or two...... may be once in 6 months or so...... but its been almost 2 years now since i had alcohol.... nor i intend to...... i love mocktails though... they are non alcoholic n soo yummyyy!!!!!! uummmm!!!!!! :drinker:
  • Tinks32
    Tinks32 Posts: 18
    Options
    yes on the odd weekend, but am a bit of a binger, one or two vodkas usually ends up as lots more and drinking till loosing all dancing co-ordination :drinker: prob why im not loosing weight:ohwell:
  • georget84
    Options
    I do drink - quite a lot. I find myself going in stages, sometimes I will go through a lot, other times not so much. It's very difficult to lose weight when you drink but not impossible. Exercise is the big thing, I doubt many people could drink/lose weight at the same time without some form of exercise thrown in. If you can work off the booze and let the food take care of it'self then you're well away. Having said that 3 pints being a quick 5k run, it's important to enjoy every last sip!
  • MDfour
    MDfour Posts: 20
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

A fascinating article about alcohol and metabolism. AKA how to drink yourself silly without messing up your diet. (Eat low carb and extremely low fat on drinking days)

Edit: I've tested this on multiple occasions and it works like a charm. It's hard to keep the fat low enough, but do-able.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love a glass of red wine a few nights a week. I always account for it in my calorie intake. Red wine and chocolate - two things I refuse to give up but won't allow to control me either! In past diet attempts, I went full speed ahead and then crashed into a brick wall. I needed to learn that everything in moderation is ok. For me, wine and chocolate aren't derailing my efforts because I don't overdo it. If I gave up everything I enjoyed then I would fail.

Ditto here!

I love this comment, and am the same. Deprivation of something you love is silly, and in the long run is not sustainable. I lost the weight I needed to lose incorporating red wine into the mix, and have been maintaining for a year and a half the same way.......

Same here and a couple of times a month I will indulge and wake up with a hangover! :-{
  • Breadoholic
    Breadoholic Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yep I drink! I love drinking. I only do it socially though. I probably drink a glass of wine a few nights a week with dinner and on the weekend I enjoy vodka, soda, cranberries with friends. I am not a beer drinker, but I do enjoy the odd cider. I try to steer clear of beer because of the number of carbohydrates. I never get a wine belly... beer belly, I do.

Christina
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Maybe once a month or once every 2 or 3 months at times, I used to have a glass of wine with dinner and then another glass the next night, but wine is a little high in calories for me right now, so I switched to diet tonic and bombay gin as that is only 60 calories... it's just a treat once every month or two though and just the one.
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'll drink a glass of wine with dinner after a stressful day every now and then. I used to drink a heck of a lot more though, but have found that it's not worth it. I find that after I drink I have a hard time getting my heart rate up where it needs to be the next day. I don't see any problem w/ drinking it once and awhile though.

~Becki
  • April_016
    Options
    Unfortunately the drinking is my biggest weight problem. It's the sugar in the alchohol that turns to starch that turns to fat inside the body. I love beer and my ME time on the weekends. I'm not an alcoholic but I would say I have a drinking problem. I am my own worst enemy counteracting all the good I do by eating right and exercising at the gym. Some say it's a disease, I say it's a choice. Do I choose to be drunk and put on weight etc. NNOOO. But, does anyone else put the bottle to my lips and make me swallow. NO. Mine and everyone elses own demon and we are the only ones who know why and the only ones who can do anything about it. It is all mental.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I drink, usually once a week. I can't drink nearly as much as I use to since losing some weight, I just feel like crap if i overindulge. I make mu own beer and my own wine - I use to like beer better, but I tend to lean more toward wine now, I guess. I also tend bar a couple of nights each week - it's there, I could drink easily those nights, but really do not want to.
  • Tinks2007
    Tinks2007 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Engineman nice to see someone else that enjoys a drink, reading this post was actually starting to think hmmm maybe I have a problem as I enjoy alcohol way way to much haha:laugh: