Asked my Trainer re eating back calories

Options

Replies

• healthydoseofglitter
    healthydoseofglitter Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic! Thank you for the info!

I recently realized I was under 1000 net calories for the past month and a half ... I have been stuck losing and gaining the same 2lbs. I am now watching my net calories and am hoping this makes a difference for me.

Also remember to eat healthy foods back, please dont burn 600 calories and think eatting a big mac will be ok :) almonds, eggs, fruit, yogurt, etc. :)
  • KatiePanda25
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this! I was wondering the same thing, it didn't make sense to me either, but now it does :)
  • Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202
    Options
    Thanks for posting =)
  • hairspray74
    Options
    thanks, that answers alot of questions that i had!!!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    whatever..trainers are NOT nutritionists..and starvation mode is a myth. anyone can call themselves a trainer, and you can get a certification over the internet, like a marriage license. all trainers have different opinions like people here.
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I work with a nutritionist...and while I am 'laid up' from a leg injury, I emailed her with lots of questions and she said that if I want to continue losing weight, I should try to stay at about 900 calories a day, which is very easy for me... because I'm injured and having great nausea from pain.

However, that's 600 calories deficit from my BMR of about 1500.

I think it's about the types of food you put in your mouth, healthy choices give you more energy!
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    The answer she gives is right for the question asked HOWEVER you didn't tell her that MFP already sets you a deficit. I'm sure her answer would have been totally diferent then.

Ask again and this time give her the full story

How so? She's saying to eat most of them back. She acknowledges that 1200 is a deficit and probably too much for some people., then states that if you burn 600 and don't eat them back, you're asking your body to try and exist on 600 calories a day if your calories are set at 1200.

Translation, she DOES get that you're at a deficit and she DOES advocate eating most of the exercise calories back.

Hello-

I also asked my certified trainer who also her degree in nutrition. And she told me that eating back your exercise calories defeats a major part of exercising for weight loss. If I am exercising for strength and mental well being, then that's one thing.

The 1200 calorie goal (from clean foods--not junk) is intended to provide your body with the nutrients, vitamins and minerals to function while creating a caloric deficit. Your body IS getting the nutrients it needs and exercising does not take away these nutrients your body has taken in. It's already been ingested.

These "opinions" by trainers and critics and anyone who calls themselves experts will ALWAYS differ. Knowing that, I asked my trusted physician (M.D.) and he agrees that I do not have to eat back my exercise calories. That if I am feeding my body good clean food, and NOT starving myself (by not eating), my body will NOT go into starvation mode.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    The answer she gives is right for the question asked HOWEVER you didn't tell her that MFP already sets you a deficit. I'm sure her answer would have been totally diferent then.

How so? She's saying to eat most of them back. She acknowledges that 1200 is a deficit and probably too much for some people., then states that if you burn 600 and don't eat them back, you're asking your body to try and exist on 600 calories a day if your calories are set at 1200.

Translation, she DOES get that you're at a deficit and she DOES advocate eating most of the exercise calories back.

Hello-

I also asked my certified trainer who also her degree in nutrition. And she told me that eating back your exercise calories defeats a major part of exercising for weight loss. If I am exercising for strength and mental well being, then that's one thing.

The 1200 calorie goal (from clean foods--not junk) is intended to provide your body with the nutrients, vitamins and minerals to function while creating a caloric deficit. Your body IS getting the nutrients it needs and exercising does not take away these nutrients your body has taken in. It's already been ingested.

These "opinions" by trainers and critics and anyone who calls themselves experts will ALWAYS differ. Knowing that, I asked my trusted physician (M.D.) and he agrees that I do not have to eat back my exercise calories. That if I am feeding my body good clean food, and NOT starving myself (by not eating), my body will NOT go into starvation mode.

Not sure if you missed the point but did YOU tell your trainer that MFP already factors in a deficit? On most sites that deficit is not there so ya 1200 is 1200 here on MFP 1200 is the lowest calorie intake and aleady has a 500 calorie deficit built in so if you eat 1200 and burn 500 you are creating a bigger deficit of 1,000 ( 500 from exercise and 500 that MFP factors in) and in the end you body only has 700 calories to function on ( 1200 -500) which is NOT enough no matter who your trainer/doctor is.

I think we all agree but the line is fuzzy with how MFP works and how other sites and trainers work. I bet if you asked the question and said I am suppose to consume 1700 calories and burn 500 should I eat my exercise calories the answer would be no because then your exercise is creating the only deficit.
  • EliRob
    EliRob Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Hello-

Not sure if you missed the point but did YOU tell your trainer that MFP already factors in a deficit? On most sites that deficit is not there so ya 1200 is 1200 here on MFP 1200 is the lowest calorie intake and aleady has a 500 calorie deficit built in so if you eat 1200 and burn 500 you are creating a bigger deficit of 1,000 ( 500 from exercise and 500 that MFP factors in) and in the end you body only has 700 calories to function on ( 1200 -500) which is NOT enough no matter who your trainer/doctor is.

I think we all agree but the line is fuzzy with how MFP works and how other sites and trainers work. I bet if you asked the question and said I am suppose to consume 1700 calories and burn 500 should I eat my exercise calories the answer would be no because then your exercise is creating the only deficit.

I just started out with a trainer, and I fully explained what I'm doing on her with MFP. I asked the same question "if I should be eating back my calories" and they advised that I shouldn't! They said that although I already have a 'deficit in my intake of calories' that if I were to eat back all the calories I have burned that it would 'defeat' trying to burn those calories in the first place.

So confusing, I guess I will have to make an appointment with either my doctor or a nutritionist to get a solid answer.
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bookmarking this awesome post.... thank you
  • Carebear530
    Carebear530 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Great post. :)
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Not sure why everyone is so impressed with the trainer's reply, especially since the trainer believes in "starvation mode" which simply DOES NOT exist. Let me say it again - it does not exist - unless you are at a Nazi Concentration Camp and have been ritually denied basic sustenance for months and months on end. Even Weight Watchers acknowledges it doesn't exist.

That being said, "eating back" you calories does not have to be an all or nothing proposition. I work out 7 days a week and 5 of those days I work out twice. What I know is that I - along with 95% of other people - grossly underestimate their calorie intake and grossly overestimate their exercise calories. Which means that MOST people will gain if they try to exactly eat back their calories. For example, does everyone wear a heart rate monitor? I do, and when I ran 5 miles Thursday MFP told me I burned 592 calories. My HRM told me I burned 375 - quite a difference. If I was eating back what MFP told me, I would be consuming at least 200 more calories that day.

There is a simple middle ground. MFP wants me to eat 1200 per day, even with "active lifestyle" checked. I changed it to 1400, and I am to eat 1400-1600 per day, every day, no matter what exercise I do. This is what works for me. You may have to experiment with what works for you. 199 pounds gone forever for me so far.

P.S. Google "starvation mode myth" and "muscle burns more per day then fat myth" and you will find hundreds of pages - with dozens of studies showing why this is not true.
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Thank you for the post. I wish I had known about this before I gained some weight back.
    I stilll dont know if I believe in starvation mode, but I do know that while I did lose lots of weight eating only 1200 calories a day and exercising for hours a day, once I tried to maintain that weight, it didnt work. Worse I now have unhealthy food habits that I never had before. So now I am back on track trying to eat back my calories.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! This is why stalled my metabo and it's taking me forever to get back to losing mode. Having to refeed my body so it knows we're not in danger of starving, lol.

So glad to hear a trainer backing up both MFP and my nutritionist.

Eat those calories!!!
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. We really helped explain things.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thank you! makes me feel better about eating back my calories! i use it as a way to eat food i enjoy and not feel guilty!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! Thanks!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    [deleted my reply. i misunderstood your post initially]