do you judge others based on what they eat?

Options

Replies

• Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    Options
    It is their attitude and ignorance that bothers me, more than the food. I don't think you're a bad person! LOL
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Man, I hope all you guys/girls don't always judge people based on what they eat. If you do, please don't ever visit me because you'll probably have a heart attack.
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    While I can understand mentally shaking your head at bigger people ordering bad fatty foods, and everyone has their right to feel how they will about others' food choices, comments like this:
    It is their attitude and ignorance that bothers me, more than the food. I don't think you're a bad person! LOL

Are what worries me. Just because someone is making an unhealthy choice does not mean they have an attitude or are ignorant. A few days ago I ordered fries with my dinner just because I felt like it. I worked them into my macros for the day and everything was fine, those fries certainly didn't undo my months of work exercising and watching what I've been eating. I know very well what fried foods contain and how they affect my body, just because I sometimes choose less healthy foods does not make me ignorant about them, and assuming someone is ignorant because they are overweight or ordering foods you personally wouldn't just doesn't sound right. I think everyone needs to take a step back and remember where assuming anything about anyone leads you...
  • RangerSteve
    Options

Just because someone is making an unhealthy choice does not mean they have an attitude or are ignorant. A few days ago I ordered fries with my dinner just because I felt like it. I worked them into my macros for the day and everything was fine, those fries certainly didn't undo my months of work exercising and watching what I've been eating.

^^^^^^^
    Everyone needs to read that
  • mrsredneckmorris
    mrsredneckmorris Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ha! Way to overanalyze with your edit! Lol! I would have done the exact same thing...."disclaimer" :)
    Anyhoo, yes I find I also judge what others are eating...and I have also felt judged for what I am eating ( both when I ate the crap and now when I'm not)
    You aren't alone!
  • skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    nope.
    last thing that crosses my mind.
  • Breadoholic
    Breadoholic Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I recently spent a decent amount of time with a group of colleagues at a conference. We went out to eat a lot and I was with them for a lot of their meals. I find myself doing this all the time: I judge people's eating habits. I just cringe to myself when I see people eating unhealthy things. Even if they get something that I know clearly must be a ridiculous amount of calories and fat, I think it's gross. I know it could be a cheat meal and they could already be healthy, etc..I just don't know. I can't help it. I feel bad for judging people like this--and I'm not sure it's normal, because I totally used to eat like that and not care about what I ate. But now that I eat healthy, I just can't bear the thought of putting a lot of that stuff into my body.

Do you guys do the same thing?

EDIT: Wow, I'm really not a bad person. I guess I don't judge the PERSON, persay, I find myself being a bit stuck up about food and nutrition. But as others said, they probably don't really know just how bad it is. I didn't until I started on here and did my research. I do care more about a person's personality and compassion than their weight. I'm not that shallow. Way to attack a simple question and think way too much about.

People on here always read way too much into everything. A lot of them fail to read between the lines, some are unable of getting the gist of what you're saying. Don't worry too much about it.

In answer to your question I'm usually more envious of them. I have heaps of friends that literally eat what they want - sometimes healthy, sometimes unhealthy - and don't put on an ounce of weight. Sometimes I wish I knew less about healthy eating so I could make poor choices without realizing. Living a healthy lifestyle can be obsessive.

Christina x
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I usually look up how bad it is on my phone and then leave it there. I really don't think that people realize how much of a splurge some things are, and that meal they're eating is 2500 calories! I feel bad and grossed out and then stick to my under 500 but still lots of sodium food.
  • a1rose
    a1rose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I don't really find myself judging what someone eats... Because right now, I know I don't eat the healthiest of foods but I definitely try to stay under my calorie goal.

There is a good chance that people are NOTreally trying to be healthy... But you never know I guess?? Lol.

I am worried that people judge what I eat though!!
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I sometimes judge people based on what they eat or food they buy. I judge people about a lot of things, though, some of it valid and a lot of it not valid at all.

But you know, I never actually TELL that person. And I think that's a big distinction.

For those of you who say, "I don't judge, but if it were a family member or friend I would tell them how unhealthy it is," to me this is about a hundred times worse. How condescending and humiliating this is! Treating someone like a child who doesn't know any better.

In today's fat-obsessed society, the vast majority of people know the ins and outs of what's healthy and what's not. We're bombarded with it every day. Maybe they don't know the specific details to the degree that the average dieter or MFP member, but it's not too much of a stretch for people to realize that fresh veggies = healthy, massive milkshake = not healthy.

So I keep quiet. Maybe they don't care that they're fat. Maybe they have other issues and really just want a cheeseburger right then to make them feel better. Maybe they can't afford better food. Maybe it's a special occasion. None of my business.

I can't control judging them in my head. But I can control what I say to another person.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    This kind of reminds me of a convo I was just having yesterday... I said its weird how I can see something and get inspired to do the opposite...for instance I see someone making bad food choices n see where its lead them n where it lead me for many yrs of my life and instantly get inspired to eat clean and/or exercise... the shows on tv about weight loss where u see obese people exercising & trying to change ie: biggest loser inspires me to also do better at eating and exercising... in the same way when I see a show about hoarding or walking into a very messy house inspires me to take a look at my own and fix it up.... its just how my mind works I guess.. there's my tidbit lol

As for judging other poor food choices ill admit sometimes I judge a little when I see bad food choices but I also know how I used to b plus I still am not perfect and sometimes I see their bad choices and it makes me wanna say "what the hell" n join em :tongue:
  • Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I never get mad at the individual or feel the need to chastise or lecture an adult in any way. We are our own worst critics and get down on ourselves enough, so if its a person who is dieting, trying too cut back on bad foods, change their eating lifestyle, or whatever they are doing, they already know when they are making bad choices. Thats their own weakness and no amount of putdowns, critisism or lectures will make them change it.

Instead I try to point out what they did good, and leave the negativity for them too decide how strict they want to be with their calorie restrictions, or other food choices. I try to encourage them because you see people on here all the time beating themselves up. I dont need too kick them while they are down I need to help them remember what they did good and help them get back up.

This!!! Well said!
  • yesiwillbeloosingit
    Options
    I do tend to do the same. Not always judging but also observing- I like to see how the skinny ppl eat- and to have a look at their portion sizes.

Lately I have been judging a whole bunch though. I have this coworker who had a gastro 2 months ago- and he keeps force feeding him self with takeaways. You can see that he can not fit it inn- but he keeps eating and eating those fatty burgers and Chinese and so on. He also eats the healthy meals that his wife makes for him in addition.

He is all nice and that - but what is the point of having the surgery and then keep eating like that..

So ya.. I think it is maybe nice to judge- but we all do it. It doesn't make you a bad person or anything :)
  • Booboo78
    Booboo78 Posts: 169
    Options
    I never judge people when they eat unhealthy food, but I do OBSERVE - a lot, and I see it as a LEARNING curve.

Before I joined here, I went on holiday to the Canary Islands. Lot of other British tourists there, and the one thing I noticed was that the men were average sized but their wife/girlfriend were huge!

I looked at what they were eating - the men would have their plate piled high, but the women did too - they matched their plate with their partners. It was the FIRST time I realised that portion sizes were definitely key.

So as soon as I got home, I started making my portions around one-third to half of what my 5'9" tall, built partner eats (especially as I'm only 5'2" myself) - lost 14lbs after that :smile:
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I find myself paying a lot more attention to food in general now - good, bad, or ugly. If I see a complete stranger eating crap, no, I don't judge. How do I know what their routine is? This could be a cheat day for them, maybe they've already lost 200 lbs, who knows.

However, if I see a friend/relative/coworker eating crap and that person complains to me about their weight day in and day out, then yes, I do pay close attention. I wouldn't call it "judging" necessarily, but more frustration on my part that I KNOW I will hear more complaining the next week, and frustration that I'm being asked for advice that is blatantly not followed. I just wanna see my friends and family healthy, ya know?
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    Options
    Not even close to what I meant. I am surrounded by unhealthy people in my life who choose to eat all unhealthy foods and feed it to their kids. I hear about gastrointestinal problems to no end and about constant serious issues that the kids have to go through because they can't choose what they are fed. I'm told "it's just easier" "I really don't want to know if I'm sick" "I know my blood pressure was 220, but I just ignore it now, no, I don't want to get it checked".

I get to hear about the annoyance of having to get a young child's 10 rotten teeth removed, never mind that her parents let her eat straight sugar daily. Or how about "my kid must have some disorder, they won't eat properly or try any new foods" yeah that can happen when you consider chocolate, cake, cookies and cordial a daily school lunch.

This makes me very upset and no, I was never talking about ordering fries with dinner. I was talking about how I feel when I see what ^^^these people order to eat when around me. Despise my best efforts to explain nutrition etc.
    While I can understand mentally shaking your head at bigger people ordering bad fatty foods, and everyone has their right to feel how they will about others' food choices, comments like this:

Are what worries me. Just because someone is making an unhealthy choice does not mean they have an attitude or are ignorant. A few days ago I ordered fries with my dinner just because I felt like it. I worked them into my macros for the day and everything was fine, those fries certainly didn't undo my months of work exercising and watching what I've been eating. I know very well what fried foods contain and how they affect my body, just because I sometimes choose less healthy foods does not make me ignorant about them, and assuming someone is ignorant because they are overweight or ordering foods you personally wouldn't just doesn't sound right. I think everyone needs to take a step back and remember where assuming anything about anyone leads you...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I recently spent a decent amount of time with a group of colleagues at a conference. We went out to eat a lot and I was with them for a lot of their meals. I find myself doing this all the time: I judge people's eating habits. I just cringe to myself when I see people eating unhealthy things. Even if they get something that I know clearly must be a ridiculous amount of calories and fat, I think it's gross. I know it could be a cheat meal and they could already be healthy, etc..I just don't know. I can't help it. I feel bad for judging people like this--and I'm not sure it's normal, because I totally used to eat like that and not care about what I ate. But now that I eat healthy, I just can't bear the thought of putting a lot of that stuff into my body.

Do you guys do the same thing?

EDIT: Wow, I'm really not a bad person. I guess I don't judge the PERSON, persay, I find myself being a bit stuck up about food and nutrition. But as others said, they probably don't really know just how bad it is. I didn't until I started on here and did my research. I do care more about a person's personality and compassion than their weight. I'm not that shallow. Way to attack a simple question and think way too much about.

I know how bad certain foods are, but I still eat them in moderation. On the rare occassion we go to Olive Garden, I have fried lasagna, as many breadsticks (with alfredo sauce) as I want and dessert. About 2,500 calories, at least and full of fat.

But I also plan ahead, am careful what I eat the rest of the week and exercise to counteract what I ate.

I don't care what others eat. I may notice and think, "That looks good," or something along those lines, but it's not my business and I really couldn't possibly care less if someone else eats something unhealthy. Unless the calories that person puts in his or her mouth are going to land on MY hips, it has nothing to do with me (or you).
  • GwynnBochanan
    GwynnBochanan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mostly I do that in the line at Subway when I see the person in front of me order a tuna salad sandwich and then add extra mayo, and I mean alot of extra mayo. It makes me gag a little. But then I think like yourself it's the mayo that I am judging not the person.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    YEAH RIGHT! There sure are a lot of angels on this website! Everyone is so tolerant and nonjudgmental and only concerned with how people act, not what they eat....
    Yeah right! haha.

Sometimes, I wanna dive over to the reeeeeally big person's table, rip that sausage out of their hand and rescue their gaping maws from devouring it in two chomps...all the while screaming, "don't doooooo itttttt!" (this has all occurred in slow motion)

But. I don't. I am polite. I mid my own business. Doesn't mean I don't THINK it! And I know all you angels have thought it before too.

Don't worry OP. You're not alone. Or a jerk.

No one said they don't notice, just that they don't care. There's a difference. And, no, I have not thought about diving to another table and ripping food from someone's hand. Life is about more than what you eat or how much you exercise. Yes, I judge people by WHO they are, not what they eat.

And some of you who do care, I'm surprised you have any friends to eat with.