First Jobs

Options
Maximus
Maximus Posts: 12,256 Member
Share the jobs you had in high school and college.

Include only jobs were you actually received a paycheck or worked for an actually company. Do not include jobs where a neighbor paid you for raking leaves, etc.

Replies

• mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    waitress at country club
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    McDonald's was my first job.

I started with toasting the buns, then worked up to cooking and then got on the cash register!!

I smelled like grease at the end of every day! :sick:

I did enjoy making the round eggs for the breakfast sandwiches though! :laugh:
  • hopetobeinshape
    Options
    I worked for a vending company...all the free chips, soda, and candy you could want. I was 13 at the time....

Now I wonder where this extra 30lbs came from hmmmm.......:huh:
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    custodian at a private school my church ran.... :sick: never will do that again, I have a hard enough time cleaning my house! hahhaa :laugh:
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    My first real job was working for my family's construction cleaning business.

My first job outside of the family was working at a local pizza place in my home town.
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I loaded loaded software and did technology inventory for a school district.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    first job was at a chinese restaurant as a bus girl at age 12. been working ever since! :grumble:
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    +1 for Mcdonalds in high school.... state prison after that for 11 years (working, not incarcerated!)... now working at home.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    same as previous member....started out at McDonalds one summer. Toasting buns, frying garbage and cooking patties on the grill. I never worked the register or the drive-thru. I'm not a people person.

second job was working at the local grocery store; sacking groceries, stocking shelves, stocked the pop machines, facing cans, cleaning the meat room on saturday mornings after the owner butchered all the animals, and cleaned the floors at night. Me and my buddy would hang out in the freezer section and find all the expired ice cream and eat it, till we were about to throw up. We'd spend late nights smashing *kitten* in the trash compactor. We'd put wooden pallets on their sides and smash them, they would explode. Pretty sweet. Tossing floresceant light tubes into the dumpster, watch them blow up. Free Food and lots of Destruction. Great job.

third job before I graduated was working the car wash. Not so exciting.
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was an assistant in a photography studio. I always liked that job! (But not always the folks I worked with. Ish.) I got to put wedding albums together - it was fun!
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    Pizza Hut cook...now I'm hungry! :blushing:

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Worked in a small restaurant one night at 15, doing dishes. Got yelled at 'cos I was too short and couldn't reach the top shelf where the bread disheswent, had to go in the basement of the place to do laundry(aprons, mopines and such.) Quit that and got myself a wopping pay check 2 weeks later of 4 hours minus taxes!!!! HA! Can laugh about it now.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the job was called
    stuffer

on Sat nights at 10 pm I went to a downtown wherehouse and a bunch of people were putting the Sunday Chicago newspapers together...we "stuffed" the sections and all the ads together to make the Sunday paper

I was 14 and we were paid $12.00 cash for the night
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options
    My first job was cleaning our church every week starting when I was 12 till I went to college. I also picked peaches on an ag reasearch farm one summer, all the fresh peaches all summer; yummy.
    Pam
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Groundskeeper/EQ mechanic @ the country club.

1st year I mostly ran push mower & weed whacker, 2nd year I was a "Senior" worker and spent more time on riding equipment.

I'm from a VERY blue collar family, nobody I knew even played golf. Quite an education about people, learned lotsa stuff. Most "old money" people were very decent, as were most of the newer money & professional folk,,, but the ones who really mistreated the help were always new money. Showing off I guess,,,

Worked there faithfully for 2 years, went above and beyond, never called off. Never once set foot in the clubhouse. I didn't mind, but I did notice.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    first job was at a chinese restaurant as a bus girl at age 12. been working ever since! :grumble:

Did you ever seat Cartwright?

seinfeld.jpg

HA! :laugh:
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options

Mmmmmmmmmmmm..... Chinese! Rangoons..... OMG, now I'm really hungry - lunch, come soooon! :tongue:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

My first job in HS was at a bakery for about a week
    I was so excited at first....thought I was going to be boxing up the cookies/selling but I was washing dishes...allll day....not fun
    My next job was at The Gap...worked there for a couple years until college
    While I was in college I did whatever I could to NOT have to work and live off my measly savings...living on cheap bread, eggs and potatoes...and alcohol :)

Kim