Oct Challenge Week 3

Options

Replies

• iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Lost 3 more pounds. I'm shocked to say the least. Anyway, swimming 5 miles will definitely be a challenge. I'm excited to try that. It will make me swim every night because it takes me about an hour to swim 1 mile.
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have no excuse to forget this weeks challenges

2011-10-14_16-14-26_329.jpg
  • dkb228
    dkb228 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Only lost .5 lbs, but I'm not surprised considering I only got one real workout in... On to the next week!

Has anyone on here done couch to 5k, yet? I've always walked 5ks with friends and family but am thinking of trying to run one for real in February. I know a lot of people on MFP have had success, but I'm still kind of worried about how hard it's going to be on my knees and shins. I've always stuck to low impact because of my fibromyalgia. I'm hoping that maybe now that I've lost a bunch of weight I may be okay...
    I'm sure you have seen the issue I'm having with my shin. I'm on the end of week 2. I recommend & wish some one had to me. Before starting do lots of leg exercises ie. Calf raises, toe points, ect and lot of stretching.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I already do a lot of stretching, and my normal exercise is on a machine that is like a combination of an elliptical and a stair-master (same movement as an elliptical but shorter stride and a much higher incline). So I feel like my muscles are up to it; it's really the joints I'm worried about. I suppose I won't know until I try, though.
  • Emwalker3406
    Options

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I already do a lot of stretching, and my normal exercise is on a machine that is like a combination of an elliptical and a stair-master (same movement as an elliptical but shorter stride and a much higher incline). So I feel like my muscles are up to it; it's really the joints I'm worried about. I suppose I won't know until I try, though.

I have a great pair of running sneakers (good shock absorption) and even though i have joint issues so far the only problem i have encountered is the shin splints. I have heard the same from everyone I am doing it with here on MFP.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    woohoo I'm excited for this one. Im needing to up it in exercise!! 75 squats a day is alot though, I'll prob need to work my way up to that number if i want to walk the next day lol. Can I do lunges instead to? Sometimes i like those better. Good luck everyone!

Sure! Sounds good!
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I am just so excited! I want to comment on every single post. But I'm not. I did my squats and arm curls at 4:30 this morning. Then I jogged in place for 1 minute every time I was in the bathroom. I went for 40 minutes on the treadmill tonight. my class was cancelled and I didn't know till I got there. 2.5 miles done. Gonna do some abs here in a few. I hate crunches. Anyone got something better to do instead???
  • Pam37841
    Pam37841 Posts: 286
    Options
    Lost 1 pound. something weird happened when I put it in the chart. I put down my current weight and it now says -198 under total lost. I am not sure what I did wrong. Can anyone fix it?
  • Emwalker3406
    Options
    I am just so excited! I want to comment on every single post. But I'm not. I did my squats and arm curls at 4:30 this morning. Then I jogged in place for 1 minute every time I was in the bathroom. I went for 40 minutes on the treadmill tonight. my class was cancelled and I didn't know till I got there. 2.5 miles done. Gonna do some abs here in a few. I hate crunches. Anyone got something better to do instead???
    Take a ball (exercise balls best but I'm using a basket ball atm) place it between your legs by your ankles, while laying on your back raise your legs up to the ceiling reach for the ball, slowly lower your arms above your head at the same time as lowering your legs (try not to let arms our legs touch the floor) raise arms and legs back up towards ceiling replace ball between legs and slowly lower arms and legs rep
  • Emwalker3406
    Options
    Lost 1 pound. something weird happened when I put it in the chart. I put down my current weight and it now says -198 under total lost. I am not sure what I did wrong. Can anyone fix it?
    Fixed
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the bladder thing, and I do like you...move my arms and jog my legs.
    I will try 5 miles on the elliptical. Except I just realized that I don't know what distance it measures in..I usually go for 20 minutes and it reads around 1,000. Feet? Meters? I will have to figure that out.

Well, I can walk a 15-20 minute mile, depending on my speed, so maybe think on that 20 min/mile? Not sure cuz I don't have a elliptical.

After some research I have determined that that number is revolutions, and with my machine it takes 3520 strides, or 1760 revolutions to make a mile.
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I am adding a poem that we used last month and someone asked for an encore reading. It fits for where we are:

Halfway
    Not empty, not full,
    Not beginning, not ending,
    Not entering, not exiting.

Halfway
    A state of limbo,
    A crossroads,
    A dare.

Halfway
    A testament to accomplishment,
    A pause for reflection,
    A challenge toward completion.

Halfway
    Goals set, esteem gained,
    Testing limits, rewarding efforts,
    Journeys paused, thoughts collected.

Halfway
    Muscles fatigued, strength built,
    Pounds dropped, calories minded,
    Perseverance shown, aspirations felt.

Halfway
    A reflection point on our fitness journey,
    We’ve reached the center.
    Finish strong!
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Regarding additional ab exercises.

Remember the bicycles you used to do in gym class. These are great ab exercises. Also planks are good. A simple ab strengthener is to just stand, make sure you tuck your pelvis under and tighten your stomach muscles. Hold until tired, relax, and repeat.
  • tvince
    tvince Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    my first challenge but will defin give it a good go
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i went down another 1.2! after the weekend i went back up to my pre challenge weight and i want to just give up because the world was against me (dramatic i know) with having 2 thanksgivings and TOM. i drank a ton of water yesterday because i knew i was retaining water. i treated myself to fiji water because i love it!

my only fear is that maybe i flushed too much water because yesterday i was 139.? and today i was 136.8. i totally skipped some numbers.
  • alirae75
    Options
    It's going to be a rough food weekend for me! We are heading to my parents' house after the boys soccer games. When we are there we seem to eat out or order in most of the time. My saving grace, we will only be there for three meals as we will turn around and head home tomorrow.... At least I got my cardio in this morning!
  • brandynicole28
    brandynicole28 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Like many, week two was quite arduous for me. I lost more weight, i met my workout challenges, but the eating was a little off. Had several Diet Mt Dew's this week, broke down after 2 wks of no chocolate and has some, Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Bar. Although it took me 3 days to eat 3/4 of the bar!(the last fourth of it is still in the freezer) Also, a goal i thought would be easy, no eating out, which is something we rarely do here, I did twice this week. I stayed under the MFP calorie goal, but went over my own personal goal twice this wk.

having said all this, its a new week, and I'm gonna keep moving along.

As usual, I am loving the new Week 3 goals for this week. THANK YOU JEN, for stepping it up when i feel like thats EXACTLY what I need!!!!!!!!!!! I love the exercise challenges, but i usually start my week off on a deficit, i work Fri, Sat, Sun nights - 12 hrs shifts..so sometimes is hard to get exercise in on the weekends. Although, I'm going to follow Jen and try to do some exercises at work, jogging in place, squats, i can even take my stretchy band to work and do some arm curls during my downtime. Hopefully i can stop by the walking/running track after work in the morning and get a mile or two in!!! I'm glad Jen also threw in a "staying in the GREEN" challenge, this wk i went into the red on Sodium and Protein. Will have to make some adjustments and watch this more closely!!!

Like a few others, I have printed a copy of this weeks challenges, have one posted here at home, and one posted inside my locker at work.

SO proud of everyone!!! You all are amazing and I have complete faith in each of you!!
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Having piriformis muscle problems which causes pain so i have to rest….went for small walk and it hurt. Darn it (thinking worse stuff!)

not happy my body is not cooperating!!!

trying to stay positive but i am going to have to cancel big hike monday, can't risk more back problems.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Jenn..I blame you!!:ohwell: After doing squats...I can no longer walk up the stairs at work, having to use
    the elevator to get up the stairs to the station gym! !:tongue:

Hope everyone is on track and being true to themselves!

Pam:flowerforyou:
  • FitasBarbie
    FitasBarbie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm down with the flu bug I'll try to catch up on the workouts when I've recovered! Nice challenges this week Jen!
  • brandynicole28
    brandynicole28 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday to everyone, hope its a wonderful and blessed day!

Here are some alternatives to the usual Ab exercises. These can be done standing, and are especially great for those of us that work outside the home and try to sneak in exercise where we can!!! I will include the link to this article also if you want to see pics of how the exercises are done.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/standing-ab-workout

Canoe- Stand with your feet 3 feet apart, knees slightly bent, and hands clasped. Keeping your hips still, bring your hands down to your left hip, "paddling" backward. Next, raise your hands up to chest level, and then paddle them to the right hip. Do 10 alternating reps for each side. If it's too easy, hold a 2- to 5-pound dumbbell in each hand.

Knee Cross Crunch- Stand with your shoulders in line with your hips, and extend your right arm up and your left leg to the side, toes pointed. Next, lower your right elbow and raise your left knee, crunching them together on a diagonal line. Return to start.

Double Arm Reach- Stand with your feet 3 feet apart and hands clasped. Contract your abs and perform a plie keeping your hands toward the floor. As you push up, raise your arms to the right. Next, lower your hands with another plie and then lift them to the left. Too easy? Hold a 2- to 5-pound dumbbell in each hand.

Side Imprint- Stand with your shoulders in line with your hips and raise your right arm. Shift onto your left leg and rotate your right leg at the hip, turning your toes out. Crunch your right elbow and right knee together, pinching your waist. Return to start.