Leaving a 4 month old alone to go jog?

Options
124»

Replies

• livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    Pffftt! I don't like calling people stupid .. because it suggests a lower level of intelligence. They do stupid things, maybe, but in this instance .. I think it pretty much encompasses both...with an added touch of irresponsible, and moronic behaviour.

How anyone could justify in their mind why they would leave an infant like that is beyond me. Much the same mentality as leaving a small child in a car seat or a pet in a car in extreme heat ...even if it's only 'for a few minutes'. It happens more often than you think.
  • paravision
    Options
    I leave my three year old alone.... With my 11 year old while I am down stairs working out lol and they have a phone :OP
  • paravision
    Options
    I leave my three year old alone.... With my 11 year old while I am down stairs working out lol and they have a phone :OP
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    WTF? If running is THAT omportand buy a jogging stroller!!! This is disgusting!
  • khartley535
    khartley535 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There will be all the time in the world to jog once they take the baby away.
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options
    There will be all the time in the world to jog once they take the baby away.
    No kidding!
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest and I'm not trolling...I would leave a non-mobile child alone for a few minutes for a good reason. Once they can crawl, all bets are off but until they do they can't do anything but lay there. It would have to be a VERY good reason, too. As an example, let's say I need to buy formula in the middle of the night and I'm alone. Formula is 5 minutes away at the grocery store and baby is asleep in her crib.

Between wake her/dress her/take her out into cold/strap into carseat/drive to store/take her out/buy the diapers then reverse the whole process you've turned a 10 minute errand into a 45 minute ordeal. The alternative is leaving the girl in the crib for 10 minutes and running out and back. I'm going to choose option #2.

It's called a calculated risk. What are the odds that something is going to happen in ten minutes? One in a million? Less?

Again, though, I'd never do anything like that with a four year old, or even a one year old. When they can make their own mischief you have to watch them every second. I wouldn't even take a shower when watching a toddler by myself.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be an anonymous parent. There's a father in our sports' club who is a one-day-a-week househusband (his wife works four days a week outside the home) and we KNOW that, when said father gets cabin-fever - that one day a week stress! - he leaves the three-year-old asleep and goes out for a training run.

Should we do ANYTHING about this?

DUH!!! you need t report that!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest and I'm not trolling...I would leave a non-mobile child alone for a few minutes for a good reason. Once they can crawl, all bets are off but until they do they can't do anything but lay there. It would have to be a VERY good reason, too. As an example, let's say I need to buy formula in the middle of the night and I'm alone. Formula is 5 minutes away at the grocery store and baby is asleep in her crib.

Between wake her/dress her/take her out into cold/strap into carseat/drive to store/take her out/buy the diapers then reverse the whole process you've turned a 10 minute errand into a 45 minute ordeal. The alternative is leaving the girl in the crib for 10 minutes and running out and back. I'm going to choose option #2.

It's called a calculated risk. What are the odds that something is going to happen in ten minutes? One in a million? Less?

Again, though, I'd never do anything like that with a four year old, or even a one year old. When they can make their own mischief you have to watch them every second. I wouldn't even take a shower when watching a toddler by myself.

Playing the odds game with your child's safety is pretty dumb.
  • khartley535
    khartley535 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

What if, heaven forbid, the house catches fire, or a vehicle crashes into it or someone breaks into it while you are gone.

The risk is not solely based on what kind of trouble the child could get themselves into.

**edited for spelling
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Some people really couldn't afford to miss the day they handed out common sense.

She apparanly missed that day and the day they were passing out brains too.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    NEVER!!!!!!!. . . Gosh some people need some serious help~
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    WTF?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Alice230
    Options
    Absolutely not. That is dangerous. Anything could have happened at that age. I don't care if it was just two minutes. They need constant supervision. You can't even leave a 5 year old home alone let alone a 4 month old. The parent instinct must be left out of some people..
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    There should be laws against who is allowed to breed.

my sentiments exactly
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    WOW no i wouldnt, man when i would go throw my garbage out at my apartment complex and my daughter was asleep i would lock the door and bring the monitor with me even though the garbage was not far , and i could see the house its just i was on second floor lol never would leave them alone specially to do something like that i take them with me they sleep everywhere lol
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    There are some people who just shouldn't be parents.

Here, Here!:drinker: Mandatory sterilazation for this person.:mad:
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options

Calculated risk .. Yes, of course .. I agree. Included the that risk is how many times it actually happens. Running out one time .. for a few mintues when in dire need .. perhaps may not be the end of the world .. Risky, but doable .. But, to systematically do it on a regular basis.. NOT cool!

Remember "Murphy's Law"??? *kitten* happens! Personally, I wouldn't do it .. If you can't be within 'baby monitor' range .. Then take the baby with you, call a friend to help, or make do until you CAN go.