Women: How long did it take you to lose 30 pounds?

Options

Replies

• g1rb0xr
    Options
    I'm 38 yrs old and I have lost 19lbs in 7 weeks. It's easier when you're bigger because I was eating over 3200 calories per day. I started on a well know pre-packaged meal plan and have been exercising every day. The test will be to see if I keep it off this time and for how long! The myfitnesspal app on my phone has made it easy and fun to keep up with what I'm eating and motivated me to make healthier food choices.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It took me about 6-9 months to lose the 30 I wanted to lose. It's easier when you have more to lose--it was harder for me b/c I didn't have as much to lose, so it went slower.
  • kelleman1
    kelleman1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I also started July 25th, and am down 23 lbs. It's going to be different for everyone. I'm not trying as hard as I possibly can, and that's fine. I'm working on changing my life style. I don't want to get all into this and burn out like so many other times.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 5 months to lose 20 !
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It's taken me almost 10 months to lose 22 lbs (granted I fell off the wagon twice during this time), but my body fat percentage has dropped from 47% to 28% in those ten months so I'm just fine with the slower loss.
  • wickedkitty
    wickedkitty Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ok so because of the variability in how much time you all lost 30lbs, so it is realistic to lose it by January right? That's my goal to lose it by my birthday.

I thinks its safe to say you should lose at least half that by January based on what people have posted here.
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It depends upon how you gained it, etc. For someone with 30 to lose to aim for 30 in that short a period of time is probably NOT extraordinarily realistic. I remember when I was younger having 30 to lose. It took me two years, and I don't think that I ever actually REACHED the full 30 pounds. I was VERY strong and fit by the end of it, though.

If you gained your weight by poor eating habits, fixing those habits should melt off the pounds. If your weight started to creep without significant changes, and worse, if your body has shown a tendency to "park" at the current weight, you are going to have a VERY hard time losing 30 before January.

Now, as young as you are, you should be able to lose relatively (based on your size/frame and relative to someone much older) quickly provided that there are no other significant reasons for the weight gain in your overall health, but don't be disappointed if it takes quite a bit longer.
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    As a matter of fact it has been EXACTLY four months, to the day, since I started and I have lost EXACTLY 30 pounds total :drinker: Go figure I've already surpassed my calories for the day by 300 and still have dinner to go, not much to celebrate today :ohwell:

It sounds like you've already gotten plenty of useful information about taking it slow, I'd definitely agree. I lost mine quite fast for how much total I had (have) to lose and my height and I count myself very lucky, but it is faster than I'd planned or expected faster than many people see. Set yourself up for success by aiming for a realistic amount, you may be very pleasantly surprised to find better numbers than you'd expect as well, but keep honest with yourself above all and count EVERYTHING.
  • kymmixxx
    kymmixxx Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ive lost 29pounds since may :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I have lost 31 since April :)
  • fronc
    fronc Posts: 41
    Options
    25 pounds down, 5 to go!
    I started at the beginning of July so 3 1/2 months
    (Just for reference I'm 5'4" and was 149, now 124)
    Good Luck!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Wow this is probably one of the most useful threads I've ever read. I appreciate all the advice. I have bee trying to lose weight for three years now and so I'm finally back in the grove of things since early June. Thank you all and I will just lose the weight slowly. I rather lose it in a healthy manner than rush it and then I hit a plateau or I gain again. I take your of your responses into consideration. Thank you ladies :)
  • james8008
    Options
    Since starting MFP I lost 25 lbs but I started my diet a little before that and it took me right at 3 months to drop 32 lbs and I am at my goal weight now. I ate very healthy eating mainly chicken, eggs, tuna, multi grain cheerios and wheat chex, and lots of veggies and fruit. I also took gnc mega men sport vitamins, triple strength fish oil, and L-carnatine 500. I worked out 4-5 times a week taking whey protein shakes before and immedietly after the work-out. I am now training for the Air Force marathon next year. I ran a 1/2 marathon last night which is my farthest run so far so hopefully next year I will be ready for the full marathon! Good luck with your weight loss!

James
  • james8008
    Options
    lol, I didn't realize this was for "women" sorry!
  • Yeah(: Im a dance minor so I burn 1000 to 1500 cals a day just from that. I also do strength training and walk everywhere. I'm a vegan too. I'm pretty extreme about my health, but its better to start slower. You can look at my diary, or add me if you have any questions(:(:(:
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It took me about 5 months. I'm at 34 lbs. lost now and want to lose 45-50 more.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    lol, I didn't realize this was for "women" sorry!

Lol guys are also welcome to share! No worries lol... I'm sure there were some guys who peeked in and left back out lol.. Guys share your stories too and/or advice. Anything can help me and even others :)
  • LoveMyFour
    Options
    I'm an inch taller than you. I started at 230lbs (pregnant) in December 2010. I lost the first 30lbs easily from birth within 4 weeks. The second 30lbs took about 4 months, but my end weight was your start weight. If I had wanted to lose ANOTHER 30lbs on top of that, as 135lbs is a low goal weight, it would have easily taken 6-8 months.
  • lexrobin2
    Options
    Ok so because of the variability in how much time you all lost 30lbs, so it is realistic to lose it by January right? That's my goal to lose it by my birthday.

I believe, ABSOLUTELY, you can do it!!
  • nikkimoon1382
    nikkimoon1382 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on how big you are and how fast your metabolism is.. I lost my first 30lbs in about 5mo... however the next 10 have been absolute hell to lose... I would recommend switching up your exercise routines so your body is always challenged, but more importantly you MUST stick to your calorie goals. ( I have 1 free night a week- i follow exact the whole week and on sat night i'll have a big dinner and that dessert and wine i've been wanting all week. then sun,back to the grind). Good luck!