The OFFICIAL University/College Challenge

Options

Replies

• swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic!!! I can only imagine hitting a time that good!!! I'm doing my first 5k in the next few weeks. I'm stoked! How long did it take you to get up to that kind of time?
  • VictoriousNicole
    VictoriousNicole Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know that I did not start at the beginning of this challenge, but I would like to join y'all.

I am a junior in my undergrad studies of Political Science. I live on campus, which is making the re-loosing that much tougher. I stay pretty active and walk most of the day to classes, but the unhealthy eating is killing me. I have recommitted myself to this journey. I will skinny!

I hope I can gain your support, as well as help you all through this :)
  • xorachelrose
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    So im new to MFP but not new to the weight loss scene. This challenge sounded perfect for me. Im in my 3rd year at Oakland University and the pounds have slowly crept up on me. Since high school I have always weighed the same weight and maintained it. Although I always maintained my weight, I was always on the verge of becoming "overweight" and now I'm there. Ive gained almost 20 pounds since I've started college. To be honest I dont like the way I look and how it makes me feel. I like being healthy and in shape i just need motivation to do so!

Ive tried on and off again to lose weight but nothing seems to work. I always get busy with school and classes or I just lose motivation all together. I think that if im in a challenge group it will help me stay focused and on task! :)

These are some of my goals.
    SW: 168
    GW: 130

Halloween: 165
    Thanksgiving: 159
    Christmas: 151
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Swinginchandra, I've been running since the end of may, so not that long really (boyfriend is a bit surprised cos it took him 18months to get 23:30). I just ran flat out for as long as possible, didn't need a break until the 3k mark, then I allowed myself a couple of 15sec walking breaks before setting off again. Race day atmosphere is so different to a normal training run, and it just encouraged me to push myself. I think, though, I probably wouldn't have been able to do what I did if I hadn't taken it easy most of the week before. My training schedule tapered off in the last couple of weeks, and I think the last week I did only a couple of short runs. Wasn't expecting it to go so well, and doing it at all and everything is awesome :)
  • swinginchandra
    Options
    1st off, welcome new people!! Stoked to have you! Together we an accomplish! :)

2nd, littleMissAlx -- so your fastest time prior to doing the 5k was about 25:30 or so? Awesome! Short distances aren't really my strong suit... I can do the 5k in like 26 minutes (so hopefully some time will fall off for me when I actually race too), but my 10k and 15k pace don't really fall off from the 5k pace at all. Lol, guess i have to work on speed instead of endurance.

Y'all this week is shaping up to be fantastic for me fitness-wise. Started out sunday with a 30-40 mile ride with my college bike team. Did my own gym workout monday morning, then ran with my colleges running team! We did a 6ish mile run, which included a HUGE hill. Ran with them tuesday too! I like running on my own, but running with other people is fun too, I feel like it helps me keep a more consistent pace. I was stoked to be able to keep up with the "fast group" with all the officers and stuff, even up the big hills. (On both the bike ride, and the run). This morning was the first day of my gymnastics bootcamp. So squeeeee. Weight loss isn't really happening, but honestly with how muscular I am, any weight loss is a huge drop in BF%... so I know it will be slow going.

Also, I beat my german male roomate in a pushup war on sunday... that was fun!
  • LittleMissAlx
    Options
    My best time was technically 25:30, but I always stopped my watch if I needed to stop running - so it was a bit of a cheat! Probably best time of constant running no walking no cheat breaks would be 27ish, so quite a big improvement. Think I'm more of a short distance runner - though my 10k time is just under an hour and that's the furthest I've gone so far, so not sure I can say yet. Think endurance may be my thing. And not getting bored on insanely long runs!
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    Just checking in. I finally got the scale to move in the right direction, but somehow only AFTER I decided to start slacking off on my workouts. :huh:

I keep telling myself I am going to start running again, but it's not going to happen unless I can win the daily battle with the snooze button. I did sign up for a 5K on the 22nd (this will be my first race since December 2010) so that should motivate me, I hope!
  • LittleMissAlx
    Options
    Races are good for motivation.

This has been a very lazy week. Combination of my boyfriend staying (so easy to stay in bed, though am doing better this time and making it to class at least!), having no training plan, and having nothing really to aim for... Except a vague idea about a half marathon in feb next year. Seems so long off though that I don't feel I need to train just yet lol.

Despite the lack of gym time, and the abnormal diet, weight is stable and I still feel relatively fit. Going to enjoy the weekend, then start again on monday.
  • swinginchandra
    Options
    Check in time pretty good for me! Down to 147 - which is pretty much my october goal achieved.

Also, I did a time trial this morning with the bike team, and official can be considered in "racing shape". So yay!!!
  • LittleMissAlx
    Options
    Finally back on track. Ran 5k as per my training plan (yay I have one again!) and it went really well. To say I've done nothing in days, anyway. Bit of walking but still a decent time and no pain. Made me feel better about doing the half marathon because it wasn't long ago that I was nervous about running the race I can now do the distance of on a bad day, if that makes sense.

Going to circuit class tomorrow, and now in feeling positive, I think training should go better.

Upped my weight range and feel my body looks a lot better for the extra couple of pounds.

Ooh, and I got engaged! Not telling the families quite yet, so is bit of a secret at the mo. But I'm kinda just bursting to tell - at times, then the rest it hasn't quite sunk in. Weirdest feeling in world.

Ooh, swinginchandra - that's awesome!
  • andforpoise
    Options
    Wow! Congrats on the run and the ENGAGEMENT! I'd be bursting too :)

I've been off track for about a week or so... hence me being MIA... but getting back on'er! My friends came in from back home to visit me for my birthday for a week and it reminded me of why I started MFP in the first place! Way too much pub food and quick meals... luckily I only gained about 2 lbs :P Still got a game of ultimate in while they were here :) so that made it alright!

So yea... I'm back too!
  • swinginchandra
    Options
    wow, congrats!!!! That's awesome!!!

I'm up a little today actually, this week kinda blew. I got into a bike accident tuesday night, plus a crappy sleep schedule, and it's kinda messed with my equilibrium. Still pretty good on track for my goals I think though. Plus getting all official for the snowboarding team today. So excited.
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    snowboarding team?? maan, i wish my college had one of them! i'd be right in line haha.

anybody else get a "study week" soon? e.g. a week off?

mine's next week - planning to stay on track for as much as that as i can...xD
  • LittleMissAlx
    Options
    Nope, not me. I don't get one until the week before my exams, so pretty much no break until Christmas time. Could do with one though!

Not sure whether I'd find a break easier or harder to stick to things on. Would make getting to the gym etc better, and definitely more sleep, but think because I'd spend most of my time in the flat studying, I'd be more inclined to buy biscuits and cakes to snack on continuously. Good luck!
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    ah that sucks :(

i don't think the break will be too bad - like you say, more chance to get out and exercise. but also more chances to eat out etc because my mum has time off also. but at least it's a break
  • JuStDoIt87
    JuStDoIt87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm new to using all of the interactive features on MFP. I'm am definitely a busy study looking for some motivation to get my act in gear!!!

Can I still join you guys(however it's working)?
  • LittleMissAlx
    Options
    Course! Welcome to the group! Basically we just update on how we're doing and sometimes set challenges :)
  • andforpoise
    Options
    I feel crummy for not keeping up to date on here! And I know it's not Friday, but I have a little update... lost 1 more today! Scale officially says 162... my ticker shows half way...but I'm aiming for another 15-20 and see where it goes from there. Anyway, today's weight means that I lost the 2 lbs I gained from my birthday celebrations week (when my friends were in town!) plus another :) So I'll take it! Weight loss is a lot slower now that it's not summer - I don't move as much as I want to...but I still play ultimate every Wednesday (until next week :( - it's our last game!) So I need to find something new to do!! How's everyone else doing?

And I'm sorry to hear about the bike accident swinginchandra! I hope all is well :)
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    I feel crummy for not keeping up to date on here! And I know it's not Friday, but I have a little update... lost 1 more today! Scale officially says 162... my ticker shows half way...but I'm aiming for another 15-20 and see where it goes from there. Anyway, today's weight means that I lost the 2 lbs I gained from my birthday celebrations week (when my friends were in town!) plus another :) So I'll take it! Weight loss is a lot slower now that it's not summer - I don't move as much as I want to...but I still play ultimate every Wednesday (until next week :( - it's our last game!) So I need to find something new to do!! How's everyone else doing?

And I'm sorry to hear about the bike accident swinginchandra! I hope all is well :)

oh well done on the weight loss! meh, we all lose track sometimes xD i find it harder to exercise in winter too...although i've taken up training for a 15k. maybe try a new indoor sport? like squash or something?

but congrats on the pound! :)
  • LittleMissAlx
    Options
    Update: Weight is at the upper end of my maintenance range, which is really starting to annoy me, cos no matter what I do with my calories, I can't get it down - I just really liked the lower number!. Beginning to wonder if maybe I've gained some muscle from all the circuits classes I've been doing, which would be good I guess. I keep having to up the weights because my body has adjusted to them already. Should probably just learn to chill out about numbers lol.

Andforpoise, do you have a gym membership? Mine offers all sorts of awesome classes, and I find the fact that I have to book in advance to get a place really motivates me to get myself out of the door and go - otherwise I'd feel guilty about some unlucky person who missed out and didn't get to go.