water!

Options

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I drink about 2 liters of water a day, trying for 4 which is how much I used to drink. I love water, ice water...I hardly drink anything else. Water is one of those things that has no calories and is necessary for your body to function. I wouldn't count soda or juice or milk as your "water" consumption but tea and coffee are ok.

Drinking it because you like it? Great! Go for it! :D

You may not "count" soda or juice, but you body will, and still gets water from it :)
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're right. It's about 99%. As i said earlier, what do you think makes up the rest of the % if water is only a little % of it?

Coffee, soda water, etc. is not water and they will not make a person's urine clear. Only pure water will do this.

Some people may see coffee, tea, soda water as being water, but I don't. If they are water, then Gumbo, Soup, Stew, etc. are water too. I should be able to drink 8 glasses of gumbo or soup juice and count that as my daily water intake.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're right. It's about 99%. As i said earlier, what do you think makes up the rest of the % if water is only a little % of it?

Coffee, soda water, etc. is not water and they will not make a person's urine clear. Only pure water will do this.

Some people may see coffee, tea, soda water as being water, but I don't. If they are water, then Gumbo, Soup, Stew, etc. are water too. I should be able to drink 8 glasses of gumbo or soup juice and count that as my daily water intake.

I only drink tea pretty much most days. My urine is clear. I never, ever drink pure water. So i am living proof that any fluid will hydrate you and make your urine clear if you drink enough. You may not see those things as water, but your body will extract the water from it, thus hydrating you. Soup has water in it, and as such you will get some hydration from it too.

You could only drink fruit smoothies, and remain perfectly hydrated.

You seem to be missing the point between "pure water" and "fluid". Your body extracts the water from any fluid you drink, and from any food that has a water content.
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    unfortunately, YES!

the rule of thumb (just in case you didn't know it) is half your body weight in ounces is what you should be drinking every day!!

This is good to know! I am almost finish with 8 Cups! Two more cups to go!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I rarely drink straight water and, like HMonster, my urine is clear.

Gumbo, soup and stew ARE made up of water!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Monster's right on this one - and contemporary research is with him. Your body is perfectly capable of extracting water from the substances it is found in. For instance, would you really want to suggest that the water in cucumber is somehow not 'pure' or that your body is unable to process it as such? Tell you what, try an experiment - only eat cucumber all day, and tell us whether your pee comes out yellow or clear?

I drink loads of water, but to suggest that it is the only healthy way to hydrate yourself is plain silly. And in a cold climate, where drinking water in the winter months can be a little offputting for many, I'd say it's counter productive to fetishise this as 'only water is good enough'.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Wrong.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/drinking-enough-water-topic-overview

And an extract from that article:
    Do you have to drink only water to stay hydrated?
    All liquids help you stay hydrated. Water is usually the best choice, because it’s free (if you’re drinking tap water) and has no sugar or calories. But most healthy people can get enough fluid through the beverages they consume every day. These can include water, fruit juices, coffee, sodas, iced tea, and other drinks.

Experts say that it's not true that beverages that have caffeine-such as coffee, tea, and cola drinks-always dehydrate you. Healthy people who consume moderate amounts of caffeine don't lose more fluid than people who don't have any caffeine.1 A moderate amount of caffeine is about 200 to 300 milligrams a day. That's about two to four 8-ounce cups of coffee.
  • AZackery
    Options
    I only drink tea pretty much most days. My urine is clear. I never, ever drink pure water. So i am living proof that any fluid will hydrate you and make your urine clear if you drink enough. You may not see those things as water, but your body will extract the water from it, thus hydrating you. Soup has water in it, and as such you will get some hydration from it too.

You seem to be missing the point between "pure water" and "fluid". Your body extracts the water from any fluid you drink, and from any food that has a water content.

A person's body will pull water for anything that has water in it. But, their immune system will work harder to get that water than it would regular water. I know the difference between water and other liquids.

I drink a lot of water. I love water. My urine come out clear like water.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

A person's body will pull water for anything that has water in it. But, their immune system will work harder to get that water than it would regular water. I know the difference between water and other liquids.

Well as if you hadn't made enough false and foolish posts in this thread you now further exacerbate it by showing us you have no clue how your body functions. Your immune system has nothing to do with absorbing water and therefore does NOT work harder to pull water.

Also I hate to burst your "purity" bubble, but any water you're drinking whether tap, bottled, filtered or distilled is not pure either.

Instead of mindlessly arguing with the many folks who've quite obviously done far more to educate themselves on this topic than you have, maybe you should listen up. You might just actually learn something.

Yours truly,
    Intechpc
    "haven't drank an ounce of pure water in years and yet still peeing clear"
  • chatswithpets
    chatswithpets Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    And on a lighter note..............

This Thread is making me Thirsty!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

@AZackery

Please study some elementary biology. The immune system has nothing to do with absorbing water. 

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/use-your-immune-system-to-prevent-flu

And a quote from that article:
    What Is the Immune System?

In simplest terms, the immune system is a balanced network of cells and organs that work together to defend you against disease. Your immune system blocks foreign proteins from getting into your body. If a few intruders happen to sneak by your biological sentry, that's OK. With a powerful "search and destroy" task force, your body deploys a host of additional immune cell forces that are designed to hunt down the unwanted intruders and ultimately work to destroy them.

(and before anybody accuses me of it, I am not attacking the poster. I am simply rebutting misleading information) 
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    just wondering.... can not drinking enough water hinder ur weightloss??

Really, the only way not drinking enough could hinder weight loss is by causing fluid retention, typically because of sodium. So much food is high in sodium (especially packaged food), so if I have a high sodium day and don't drink a lot of water, I'll weigh heavier the next day.

As lots of people have mentioned, you can get fluids in lots of ways, so as long as you're not dehydrated, you're fine. Just drink how ever much water you're comfortable with and get in some other fluids and water-rich foods.

I tend to drink a lot of straight water (as well as black & green tea), but honestly, it's mostly because it keeps me from getting hungry! :laugh: :laugh: Plus all those calories I burn getting up to go to the toilet every hour!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Killing myself laughing at the idea that your immune system is involved in processing water. First time I've heard that and as a dietitian I hear a lot of bizarre tales about food/fluid!

Agree with everyone that has said any fluid and some foods are hydrating and that calories, not fluid are what affects your fat loss.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    im currently drinking 1litre a day, some juice and milk.... i this is prob not enough though?

I barely drink my 8 cups and have lost 1-2 pounds a week. I drink tea etc but defo not near 8 cups.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    If you are thirsty, drink some water. Don't feel like you have to shove a gallon a day down your throat to lose weight.

Weight loss is about calories in vs. calories out.

I don't drink anything but water and a very small amount of homemade orange juice. I drink about 16 oz of water with dinner and lunch or when I get thirsty. You do get a lot of water from food as well, especially fruits.

I wouldn't wait, until I am thirsty. When you are thirsty, your body already signals alarm, that you are about to dehydrate. So don't let it come so far.
  • murdsmob
    Options
    I am only drinking about 4 glasses of water a day, then about 4 mugs of tea a day and a couple of glasses of water with no added sugar fruit squash. My skin suggests that this has been enough for me. I will also take a large bottle of water with me whilst exercising too. I think I would just go with gut instinct. As long as you are not dehydrated!
    I lost 10lbs first week so all good so far..... Good luck everyone! x
  • AZackery
    Options
    Well as if you hadn't made enough false and foolish posts in this thread you now further exacerbate it by showing us you have no clue how your body functions. Your immune system has nothing to do with absorbing water and therefore does NOT work harder to pull water.

Also I hate to burst your "purity" bubble, but any water you're drinking whether tap, bottled, filtered or distilled is not pure either.

Instead of mindlessly arguing with the many folks who've quite obviously done far more to educate themselves on this topic than you have, maybe you should listen up. You might just actually learn something.

Yours truly,
    Intechpc
    "haven't drank an ounce of pure water in years and yet still peeing clear"

I know what I'm talking about.
  • AZackery
    Options
    @AZackery

Please study some elementary biology. The immune system has nothing to do with absorbing water. 

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/use-your-immune-system-to-prevent-flu

And a quote from that article:

What Is the Immune System?

In simplest terms, the immune system is a balanced network of cells and organs that work together to defend you against disease. Your immune system blocks foreign proteins from getting into your body. If a few intruders happen to sneak by your biological sentry, that's OK. With a powerful "search and destroy" task force, your body deploys a host of additional immune cell forces that are designed to hunt down the unwanted intruders and ultimately work to destroy them.

(and before anybody accuses me of it, I am not attacking the poster. I am simply rebutting misleading information) 

First, I want to say that I'm not worried about people attacking me, if they so choose to. I know how to stand on my own. I'm not afraid of anyone.

Second, the immune systems needs water.
  • AZackery
    Options
    Killing myself laughing at the idea that your immune system is involved in processing water. First time I've heard that and as a dietitian I hear a lot of bizarre tales about food/fluid!

Agree with everyone that has said any fluid and some foods are hydrating and that calories, not fluid are what affects your fat loss.

I'm not a dietitian, but I'm in the medical field myself. Can you explain why the immune system needs water? What will happen to the immune system if doesn't get water?