Who has lost weight without restricting carbs?

Options

Replies

• stephaniev07
    stephaniev07 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have tried the resticting of carbs and I can not maintain. I crave anything I am keeping out of my diet. So this time around I am letting myself have ANYTHING I want in moderation. I watch my calories and make sure I am well under my daily with excersize. I walk at least 5 times a week usually daily tho I do strength in the morning and cardio at night. And just keep an eye on all the levels MFP shows to make sure I am getting enough and not going over what is limited. I am losing weight slowly but surely which I am fine with as I started 17 days ago. This is what makes me feel good about my lifestyle change and I really feel like I can maintain this lifestyle forever. :) Good luck
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, can anyone cite the long-term success rate of caloric restriction to maintain weight loss (irrespective of macronutrient ratios)?
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    In all honesty I love my carbs, they are a comfort food for me, and they are what give your body the energy it needs to run. I have only been here for one week, and I lost 8lbs so far and I eat carbs at every meal. Some days I am over the limit set for me on my tracker, others I am below. I have been on other programs that I could choose my intake of carbs, and others that limit it to a 1/2 cup each meal.

I don't think it matters, and if you are having healthy carbs and keep it at a 1/2C or a little more there shouldnt be any problems. But if you find on your journey that lessening carbs works better for you then I would go with it. Everybody is different, and our bodies react to different foods, nutrients, minerals, etc differently. It's what works best for you and what makes you feel good too.

Good luck on your journey!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    6a00d8341c5bb353ef0154343f9cc8970c-pi
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Going low-carb helped me a lot to kick start my weigh-tloss. Before that, I could eat healthy for a few days and then get huge cravings for sweets and that was that.
    I really stand by this way of eating because it gets the results. I'm not saying to be under 20 g of carbs/day, but try to do it around 100 g. That allows you all the veggies you want in a day, but will restrict the fruits. You have to cut breads, rice, pasta and potatoes if you want to follow this road, and you will barely miss them if you do your research on new yummy healthy low carb recipes.
  • KenMadere
    KenMadere Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You are right in being sceptical. Find a certified dietician if you think you need help.
  • kristinabb
    Options
    Never counted carbs and lost 80 pounds in ten months. I counted calories for a few months (under 1200) and now that I am at goal I dont count calories but.... I do work out 5 days a week and put in 30 miles a week in running plus 2 weight training classes , 2 step classes and about 30 min a day of cross training. but no never counted a carb
  • VICKYORTIZ
    VICKYORTIZ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My family doctor recommended adkins to me. I have followed it Since April- not religiously but I probably stay under 40 grams of carbs daily and I have lost 30 plus pounds. Along with that he gave me vitamins. I feel great...never hunger or cravings. I've read all the horror stories about people gaining the weight back after they incorporate carbs back into their diet but I figure give it a shot. I guess it's better than not doing nothing about my weight. Wish me luck!
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and it was doctor recommended to restrict carbs. I did South Beach six years ago. I missed the carbs so much, that I ended up going nuts and eating tons of it on a cruise. Then I never went back, gained all that weight plus another 30. I was unhappy and felt deprived on that diet.

I've lost 55 lbs using MFP, and have restricted NOTHING. I just don't eat tons of it, or all high saturated fats or calories in one day. I space out my "fun" foods, and I EXERCISE! :-)

Carbs are our friends.
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    Me. I wouldn't know what to eat if I couldn't have carbs.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have never restricted my carbs, I just make sure I get them from healthy sources.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are many reputable doctors and studies that speak of the "dangers" of low carb diets.

The "dangers" of low carb diets. Can you site any of the studies or provide links to articles from doctors saying that low carb is dangerous.

I don't eat low carb (or high carb) and I've lost weight so I absolutely know that it can be done. But I've worked in health care for nearly 30 years and I've never seen any study or article written by a physician that said eating low carb is 'dangerous'. The only negative I've ever read about low carb are the studies showing that many people gain the weight back because they fail to maintain the diet long term. But that true of any diet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, can anyone cite the long-term success rate of caloric restriction to maintain weight loss (irrespective of macronutrient ratios)?

Interesting question. I don't think I've seen a study on that, though I would be surprised if there is not one. I have seen low carb, low fat and the Mediterranean Diet compared and for both short and long term they scored equally.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have. I eat anything and everything and try to stay under my calorie goal, and get enough protein.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a low carb diet and I've lost 37lbs so far.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I don`t restict anything I`m an everything in moderation kinda person and my weight is comeing off nicely :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    There are many reputable doctors and studies that speak of the "dangers" of low carb diets.

The "dangers" of low carb diets. Can you site any of the studies or provide links to articles from doctors saying that low carb is dangerous.

I don't eat low carb (or high carb) and I've lost weight so I absolutely know that it can be done. But I've worked in health care for nearly 30 years and I've never seen any study or article written by a physician that said eating low carb is 'dangerous'. The only negative I've ever read about low carb are the studies showing that many people gain the weight back because they fail to maintain the diet long term. But that true of any diet.

Cite them?

This cochrane review is at best lukewarm about these diets, in particular suggesting that the benefits of them need to be balanced against the risk:

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/166/3/285

"Low-carbohydrate, non–energy-restricted diets appear to be at least as effective as low-fat, energy-restricted diets in inducing weight loss for up to 1 year. However, potential favorable changes in triglyceride and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol values should be weighed against potential unfavorable changes in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol values when low-carbohydrate diets to induce weight loss are considered."

Such changes are correlated with cardiac issues.

But the reality is, in the absence of rather more substantial longitudinal data, the jury is kind of out on this subject. If I had a choice of what kind of evidence to 'rely' on, given the positive reporting bias in published research, I'm most inclined to stake my future on the cochrane review (which uses grey and other data), and say we don't really know the full effects of low carb diets, and consequently, I'm just going to do what seems sensible.

As a vege, I thought this study was interesting:

"A low-carbohydrate diet based on animal sources was associated with higher all-cause mortality in both men and women, whereas a vegetable-based low-carbohydrate diet was associated with lower all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality rates."

http://www.annals.org/content/153/5/289.short
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Interesting question. I don't think I've seen a study on that, though I would be surprised if there is not one. I have seen low carb, low fat and the Mediterranean Diet compared and for both short and long term they scored equally.
    I don't have hard numbers but I have heard that all "diets" (caloric restriction -- what everyone on this thread is talking about in one fashion or another) are pretty dismal in terms of long-term success. I only bring up this point because, for everyone saying that they have had success on low-carb (or know someone who has) but then gained weight again quickly when they "went off," the same thing can be said for all forms of caloric restriction. If you stop restricting calories to what you need to maintain, you will regain weight. Some people can count calories for the rest of their life or be very disciplined about not straying from the carefully constructed portions and meal rotations that they have become accustomed to while losing weight but most people (like, 90%) have difficulty. Others are successful in just making certain "rules" for themselves like "only one starchy carb source a day" (or whatever) and others aren't. I don't see the difference real difference here.

Carb restriction is a form of restriction calories. Period. (Except in those who have endocrine disorders.) It is successful if you keep at it, and unsuccessful if you don't. Go with something you can stick with. (Pure calorie counting, for me, is not something I can stick with, as numerous times losing and gaining has shown me.)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Oooh me!!!! : )

I'm a total carb junkie and all my three daily meals have a portion of them! However I rarely eat refined/white carbs - because to me the brown stuff actually tastes better and the additional fibre is a bonus (my only gripe would be the amount of time brown rice takes to cook!).

I had no problems reaching my goals and interestingly not ditching the carbs really made me learn that I had no idea about portion sizes when it came to them. I now have the skills to confidently eat pasta in a restaurant and stay under my goals...

Feel free to rustle through my diary, my staples this week have been oats for breakfast AND bread on a couple of days....pasta for lunch and rice for dinner......Oh and pizza tonight : )
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Cite them?

This cochrane review is at best lukewarm about these diets, in particular suggesting that the benefits of them need to be balanced against the risk:

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/166/3/285

"Low-carbohydrate, non–energy-restricted diets appear to be at least as effective as low-fat, energy-restricted diets in inducing weight loss for up to 1 year. However, potential favorable changes in triglyceride and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol values should be weighed against potential unfavorable changes in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol values when low-carbohydrate diets to induce weight loss are considered."
    I haven't looked up the study, but did you quote that accurately? It seems as though they are comparing completely different things: low-carb NON-calorie-restricted diets with low-fat calorie-restricted diets. It seems like a rather big confound to me if you restrict calories in one population but not in another.