*Serious subject* - Protection while walk/jog/running in you

Options

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the idea that we need to protect ourselves. I run almost daily and have had one scary incident where I was "man handled" for lack of a better term by someone who was obviously mentally unstable. That being said it goes against everything I believe in to carry a weapon. I am very aware of my surroundings. I have my phone with me with my husband on speed dial (because he has to be home with the kids when I run, so he is close by) I do realise that bad things happen, I am not naive. But I dont believe in carrying a weapon of any kind. I have considered a small bottle of mace but even that is something I am not comfortable with. If I lived in an area where it was a bigger concern I would join a gym before I ever purchased a gun.

+1 on this. Not be willing to carry a weapon does not mean you are naive. I personally find that implication to be highly offensive.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the idea that we need to protect ourselves.... That being said it goes against everything I believe in to carry a weapon.
    =
    I appreciate the idea that we need to protect ourselves....that being said it goes against everything I believe in to actually take steps to protect myself.

You can be as aware of your surroundings as you want, but that's not going to keep you from being attacked in most cases.
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the idea that we need to protect ourselves. I run almost daily and have had one scary incident where I was "man handled" for lack of a better term by someone who was obviously mentally unstable. That being said it goes against everything I believe in to carry a weapon. I am very aware of my surroundings. I have my phone with me with my husband on speed dial (because he has to be home with the kids when I run, so he is close by) I do realise that bad things happen, I am not naive. But I dont believe in carrying a weapon of any kind. I have considered a small bottle of mace but even that is something I am not comfortable with. If I lived in an area where it was a bigger concern I would join a gym before I ever purchased a gun.

Let's not lose sight of the other options instead of just mechanical defense measures (weapons): self-defense tactics, survival combat, dog, running partner, running in clown make-up, etc.

D:

I almost put running in full clown-outfit-regalia as an option for self-defense. I really almost did.

I see IT running down the road and I'm sure as hell not gonna mess around with IT. I'd probably pee my pants and faint.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    A 26" ASP? Am I only one picturing you running with a large snake?

I giggled at that.

Picture a 6" metal baton that extends to 26". I just always have called it an ASP.

That makes sense, but I am little disappointed. Running with a snake sounded so cool.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have a CCW and have recently been enamored of a new little Kahr 9mm that goes with me most places. I don't run any more, but many years ago I used to use a fanny pack holster with a smallish (for the time) .380 ACP/9mm Short Beretta. In recent years calibers realistic for defense have gotten so small and light that they can be VERY easily carried while jogging or biking. The little Airweight Smith's in .38 Sp and Ruger LCP in .380 weigh less than a pound.
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the idea that we need to protect ourselves.... That being said it goes against everything I believe in to carry a weapon.
    =
    I appreciate the idea that we need to protect ourselves....that being said it goes against everything I believe in to actually take steps to protect myself.

You can be as aware of your surroundings as you want, but that's not going to keep you from being attacked in most cases.

Neither is carrying a gun unless I am waving around for would be attackers to see and to be perfectly honest that would mess with my pace, lol.
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be without protection. A female cyclist was attacked on a popular trail near my area by man on foot. The coward bushwacked then attacked and killed her. She was an athlete comfortable with her surroundings. Predators can be found anywhere and it only make sense to be prepared. I don't live in fear because I CAN and will defend myself.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I always carry an AK-47 and a nade launcher!

Seriously though.. I understand wanting to protect yourselves. There are a bunch of crazy people out there. But I really don't suggest packing heat and carrying sharp deadly objects. A thing of mace will do just fine. And run during day if you live in a bad area.
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I always carry an AK-47 and a nade launcher!

How did you know what I am getting for Christmas???? :o

:)
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Options
    =

Neither is carrying a gun unless I am waving around for would be attackers to see and to be perfectly honest that would mess with my pace, lol.

No, a gun won't keep you from being attacked, but it sure could help in stopping it once it's started. So could a knife. I actually prefer a knife to a gun. It's easier to conceal and much easier to use effectively when you know anatomy. If I had had a knife on me when I was attacked I guarantee that it would not have progressed into rape. I will NEVER leave home unarmed or leave my home itself unarmed for as long as I live in the States.
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    =

No, a gun won't keep you from being attacked, but it sure could help in stopping it once it's started. So could a knife. I actually prefer a knife to a gun. It's easier to conceal and much easier to use effectively when you know anatomy. If I had had a knife on me when I was attacked I guarantee that it would not have progressed into rape. I will NEVER leave home unarmed or leave my home itself unarmed for as long as I live in the States.

I am really sorry for what happened to you. I think that our personal experiences affect how we look at this. As someone who lost an innocent family member because of a violent weapon I will have to agree to disagree. Carrying a weapon is not for me. It is not in my nature and the idea frightens me much more than the idea of having to defend myself.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Options
    I am really sorry for what happened to you. I think that our personal experiences affect how we look at this. As someone who lost an innocent family member because of a violent weapon I will have to agree to disagree. Carrying a weapon is not for me. It is not in my nature and the idea frightens me much more than the idea of having to defend myself.

I was like you before, and I couldn't stand the thought of weapons. My nature was one of peace and positivity. I sincerely hope you never have an experience that permanently alters your entire nature. I wish I could go back.

Anyway, cheers! Agreed to disagree as well.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It is not for me to shove self-defense (or weapons) down anyone's throat, I just hope people stay aware of the their surroundings, and just know that the bad guys are EVERYWHERE, and are always looking for a victim. Peace my friends! :smile:
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You people are scary. I'm glad it's illegal to carry guns, knives (as weapons) and pepper spray here.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You people are scary. I'm glad it's illegal to carry guns, knives (as weapons) and pepper spray here.

Wow! Thanks for being judgmental against people who simply want to never be victims. I'm sorry your country denies your the simple right of owning a weapon and being allowed to protect yourself against bad guys. I wish you all the best.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I want to thank all of you! I know you all have different opinions. You've all given me alot to think about!
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options

^^ this, im very glad to live somewhere like this, tho we are aloud to carry pepper spray here to prevent bear attacks
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Ok, you guys are scaring the crap out of me. I run in the morning, in the dark, by myself. Yes, I run in well lit areas, yes, I am aware of my surroundings but yes, I am a bit nervous about it sometimes. Now I think my run tomorrow will be postponed until I can get something to carry with me the next time I go out.

Edit: Just checked and pepper spray is legal where I live. I have been thinking about this since it's started to be dark in the mornings when I run, thanks for helping me decide.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Carrying a weapon is a personal choice and with it comes responsibility of course. Responsibility to use it safely and legally.
    If you choose not to carry a weapon, that's your personal choice, and it states you are willing to accept the risk of being victimized without a means of fighting back other than kicking, punching, and screaming.

I subscribe to the philosophy that it's better to have a weapon and not need one, than to need a weapon and not have one.
    People may call you paranoid, but you're only paranoid until it saves your *kitten*. Then you're called "prepared".

It's hard to beat a gun for defense, but it takes some creativity to run with one in a way that's comfortable and still allows instant access to it. Although with some of the newer ultra-compact lightweight guns out there, it's definitely do-able.
    Pepper spray is a good option, but it doesn't work on everyone, and if the breeze isn't in your favor, you spray yourself and become incapacitated and do your attacker a favor by becoming an even easier target.
    Knives are light and real easy to carry, but in order to use it you have to be close enough to touch your attacker, and if you're already that close-quarters it may be too late anyhow.

I've been a police officer for over 17 years. And I'll tell you violent attacks don't only happen in bad neighborhoods and don't always happen at night. They happen everywhere. Just a couple months ago I assisted with a case in which a woman who went jogging around her neighborhood every evening didn't return from her evening run. She was found the next morning after having been dragged into an orchard, raped, and beaten into unconsciousness. At least she survived which is luckier than some. Apparently she ran the same route every night. Makes one wonder if someone was paying attention to her routine, or if it was just a crime of opportunity. Don't make it any easier. Be unpredictable and pay attention to your surroundings.

In my opinion one of the best things you can do to prepare to survive an attack is to constantly run through hypothetical scenarios in your head on how you would react to various attack situations. That way if it ever happens, instead of going into panic mode, you will already have rehearsed it in your mind and have a plan for how to react whether you choose to carry a weapon or not.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to all those who think they are safe because "weapons" are illegal where you live: all that means is that only the criminals are armed. If some scumbag is out looking to rape you and cut your throat, he sure as hell doesn't give a damn about the illegal knife he's carrying.