Is McDonald's ever ok?

Replies

• I know that place is inherently evil and the arch nemesis of every diet out there

Why do you think this?!?!

It's not McDonalds that is evil...it's the overeating of McDonalds that's the problem!

Chickens killed for McDonald's are slaughtered using an outdated method that results in extreme suffering. As one of the biggest sellers of chicken meat, McDonald's has the responsibility—and the ability—to reduce this abuse by demanding that its U.S. and Canadian suppliers use a less cruel slaughter method.
    :explode:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    They're not allergen friendly at all, they've got horrible ethics, and the meat is questionable, but if we're just talking calories, go for it.
  • I don't think there is anything wrong with eating whatever you want as long as it is in moderation and you stay within your caloric allowance. If you deprive yourself of something you are craving, it may lead to an all out binge.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    I don't think McDonald's is any worse than eating out at a sit-down restaurant. In some respects it's better because the portions are smaller (at a sit-down restaurant you'd get a burger that's twice as big with a gigantic mountain of fries).

I have a couple long days every week where I go straight to class after work, and sometimes I don't pack enough food to get me through the day, so I'll grab a grilled chicken snack wrap (251 calories and 8 grams of fat) or a small fry (230 calories and 11g of fat). If I'm especially ravenous I'll get both and not eat anything else the rest of the day. It's definitely an occasional thing, maybe once every 2 months, but I think it's better than being hungry and unable to concentrate. You do need to drink more water when you have McDonald's because it's very salty!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Anything is ok in moderation. If you feel like a cheesburger every once in a while, go for it!
    Just keep it in your calorie allowance like you did.

this!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Yes.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    I refer to the golden arches as McDoody's because **** is basically what they serve. They put absolute garbage in their food. If you are going to cheat, and a burger is what you want, go somewhere that uses fresh meat instead of the overprocessed, overpreserved junk you get at most fast food chains. Most towns have a few really great burger joints. Find it and let that be your treat. The crap they add to food is sometimes a lot worse than the fat and calories would suggest. I highly recommend watching Food Revolution!

But that overprocessed, overpreserved junk tastes soooo good! Remember, sometimes we like to eat something for the taste, not the nutritional value.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Of course it's OK in moderation. Keep in your calories and enjoy!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    It's a cheeseburger, not crystal meth. Having one every once in a blue moon won't hurt you.
  • I LOVE McDonalds.... I don't ever eat there cause we don't live close to one... THANK GOD! But yes McDonald's is ok. As long as you arn't eating it everyday. AND if you are still in your calorie range why wouldn't it be! Treat yourself girl :smile: And enjoy it for me to!!! :laugh:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    the best burgers come from, in this order:

homemade
    normal restaurants
    chain restaurants (applebee's, chilli's)
    diners
    fast food restaurants (mcdonalds, burger king)

matter of fact, i'm making burgers tonight, with baked frech fries.
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    they have yummy new grilled chicken wraps!
  • NO BURGERS.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    NO BURGERS.

good first post!! welcome to the boards!
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Anything is ok in moderation. If you feel like a cheesburger every once in a while, go for it!
    Just keep it in your calorie allowance like you did.

That. I dislike people who don't allow themselves to splurge every once in a while. Frankly, if I don't allow for fast food, I am going to end up bingeing. I have learned the hard way: KNOW YOUR BODY and it is OK to splurge from time to time.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    It's a cheeseburger, not crystal meth. Having one every once in a blue moon won't hurt you.

Maybe the meth is the secrect ingrediant?
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    They're not allergen friendly at all, they've got horrible ethics, and the meat is questionable, but if we're just talking calories, go for it.

I agree with this .... I have stopped there gotten a salad skip the pretend chicken they put on it and watch the dressing. Unless your hung over I say stay away.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    It's a personal choice. I don't like to eat there because it makes my stomach hurt each time. But there are still instances where I have found myself either having to order something or go hungry (if we're on the road, etc.). If you think it will help you stay on track, then do what you have to do. We all struggle with our food choices sometimes... or we wouldn't be here on MFP. :)

An MFP friend wanted me to post this comparison again. It's a helpful reminder as to what you are actually eating versus the amount of food you COULD be eating. But believe me, there are days when the fast food craving is much stronger than my will to get back in to shape. LOL

food2.jpg
  • comeback0903
    comeback0903 Posts: 114 Member
    I had taco bell for lunch yesterday...I had the craving, I had suffice calories so I went for it! I have the worst tummy ache today, so I wont be doing that for a while again! but yes I think if it fits in your calories and your not over doing it GO FOR IT! Deprivation is bad because it backfires at least for me if I deprive myself I end up binging! gross...