Who has lost weight without restricting carbs?

Options

Replies

• Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Major soap box for me! I do NOT restrict carbs I restrict the types of carbs I eat. I aim for as many veggies as I can handle, some (nor more than 2 servings/day) fruits, and very few whole grains. :flowerforyou:

This is me also. Since I have PCOS and feel unable to eat low carb, I just focus on eating mostly good carbs like whole grains, legumes, and veggies. I also eat 1-2 servings of fruit per day to help keep away sugary cravings and it helps a lot. I very rarely eat refined carbs and limit sugary snacks.
  • wendylady76
    Options
    Um... Have you actually read ANY of the scientific clinical trials regarding this "mumbo jumbo"? Because you might find yourself QUITE surprised.
  • jezmarie89
    Options
    There are good carbs and "bad" carbs... stick to dark carb sweet potatoe..whole grains/wheat..brown rice and veggies.. it def gets easier.. Portion size ans calorie intake is key. Stay away from sugar and sodium and eat lean
  • toniann97
    toniann97 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've done extremely low carb diets several times, which should tell you something. I will not deny low carb diets will cause you to lose weight BUT the minute you stop it's 10x worse for your body because the body is so happy to have carbs it grabs them and holds on to them because it doesn't know when it will get then again. You will most likely gain all the weight back and then some. Low carb really isn't too good if you will be working out a lot too because you need carbs for energy. Hope this helps :)
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight off of eating healthy and watching my calorie intake. Calories are the only thing I care about when it comes to any of my meals.

A diet is a diet. If you restrict eating a certain thing and then watch your portions of everything else you eat you will lose weight. Give the carb diet a try if your trainer really wants you to do it. If you don't like it then don't do it and go to something you are more comfortable with.
  • whydonttheywrite
    Options
    Great question, I have tried that before and had some good success but then when it wasn't new anymore it became very difficult to maintain, because in real life (at least for me) everything has some level of carbs to it when you go out or look in the pantry (since I have kids, they weren't on the low carb thing with me of course) when you go out to eat difficult to find a meal with low carbs. I lost weight on it, but after a while to me at least it got old and when it did I very quickly put the weight back on. I've been trying the calorie deficit thing for a while now and had more success than low carb and I get to enjoy my meals again, and can eat what my family eats (maybe in different portions or slight variations) and it seems to work well for me so far. Everybody is different, but like someone else said if you don't think you can maintain it forever I wouldn't even start with it.... just my 2 cents
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I only count calories. I pay no attention to fat, carbs, sugar, protein, sodium, fiber, etc. I only drink maybe four glasses of water on the days I work out. None on the days I don't. I drink diet soda on a regular basis. I eat whatever I want any time of day I want. The ONLY thing I do is make sure my calories are in check. I've lost 39.6 pounds in nine weeks.

BUT, everyone is different. Not everything works for everyone whether it be due to mental or physical hurdles. Find what works for you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't changed my carbs... I figure if you go for low carbs... what happens when you do start eating them again????

You smile a sigh of relief. A rainbow appears as the clouds separate, and a unicorn runs accross your lawn.

Seriously? That is the only good argument I've heard for going to low carb. How long do you have to do it in order to see a unicorn? Because I'd really like that.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There are good carbs and "bad" carbs... stick to dark carb sweet potatoe..whole grains/wheat..brown rice and veggies.. it def gets easier.. Portion size ans calorie intake is key. Stay away from sugar and sodium and eat lean

can you explain what makes a carb good or bad?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

"Bad carbs" smoke Lucky Strikes and have a rap sheet a mile long.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I've never watched my carbs and am down 39lbs. I find restrictive diets don't work long-term.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have lost 32 lbs. without restricting carbs, except for the first month. It has been a year since I began, and I basically stay within my calorie goal, but I do try to eat less unrefined carbs and the carbs I eat tend to be whole grains and brown rice, usually. I do eat less pasta than I used to, but that's about it. Worked great for me.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    This girl right here, i eat around 150g of carbs a day, sometimes more and my weight loss is great!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Glycemic load?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Glycemic load?

And......... you'll get water weight at worse case scenario unless you eat a surplus.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Glycemic load?

how is that relevant to the vast majority of people? unless most people are eating said carbs isocalorically in a fasted state
  • bcattoes
    Options

Glycemic load?

how is that relevant to the vast majority of people? unless most people are eating said carbs isocalorically in a fasted state

That's what generally is begin referred to when people call carbs good or bad. Wasn't that the question?
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I lost 62 lbs. by eating less and moving more. When I have tried low carb in the past, as soon as I eat an increase in carbohydrates, I gain or at least feel very bloated. Wise advice given to me long ago - whatever you do to lose weight is what you will need to do to maintain that weight loss. Fad diets, quick loss schemes, etc. do not work for me.
  • cpldjski
    cpldjski Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to do low-carb mostly because I LOVE bread and white rice. I was able to lose about 55 pounds just with limiting calories and exercise. However, when I went to the doctors for my thyroid check-up (I have hashimotos disease) she told me that based on the analysis done by her fancy scale that I was retaining a lot of water weight. She told me the only way to get rid of it was to do a low carb diet. I have begrudgingly started to do a little more low carb and I don't feel like I am losing weight any faster or slower than before. I just might be losing the water weight instead of the fat that I want to get rid of.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i cannot restrict carbs. i have lost 15 lb just reducing quantities. you prob don't need to unless you are really struggling and just want to try something different