When did you know it was time to start losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Mrrwmoo
    Mrrwmoo Posts: 44
    Options
    I was at a healthy BMI, 130 lbs at 5'2", but all I did was gorge myself on junk food, take naps before and after gorging myself, and then sit at the computer for the rest of the day/night, since I had insomnia. I would get chest pains and just feel downright cr**py every single day. Oh, and my mom kept snickering about how fat I was behind my back to all my family and other relatives ;D.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Its on my profile !
  • emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    I have been trying to be healthy for years, on and off.. Now i want to be serious as im almost at the same weight i use to be before i lost weight, so i know i have to really try
  • Ilovebeagles
    Options
    My story is similar to yours. I didn't know the girl in photos; she kind of looked like me but man oh man, I did not know her at all. The scale story is exactly the same as mine, I hit 297 and said there was no way in hell I was going to hit 300. Plus, I could bend over to tie my shoes any longer; I could barely get myself off the floor after playing with the dog; I felt ABSOLUTELY horrible; I hated going out in public. the first 5 months I just exercised with sutle food changes. I had lost 25lbs but wanted to lose more. That's when I found MFP. In the past, I would pay people to weigh me weekly (all the "diet" companies). I searched the web for food journals! Here I am 7 months late and 66 lbs lighter!

Oh man, I used to get WINDED tying my shoes too!
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    When instead of my 16 jeans falling off me they were getting way to tight:cry:
  • ali689
    ali689 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    when I took a ground fighting class and realised i was now in the group of "fattys" that could not stay in the game for more than 60 seconds without getting winded. Im my career, if i cannot defend myself or others, I am useless.
  • FelizMi
    FelizMi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When I stepped on the scale for the first time in 18 months and it was 393! Last time I was on a scale before I gave birth to my son I was only 330! I did not realize how bad I was, but now I look back at photos of that time and I don't understand how I didn't know it!
  • JillyBeanMcCullough
    Options
    Durring the summer of 2010my son(4-1/2 years old at the time) was drawing stick figures of our family on the cement sidewalk in our back yard. When it came time to show me and dad his masterpiece we walked out and my son looked at me and said" oh wait I forgot to draw something on mommy." He then ran over to the stick figure that was me and drew a big circle where my stomach was supposed to be and said "sorry mom I forgot your belly." The way my child really saw me, woke me up in a BIG way! I tried a few different diets and lost 20 pounds then couldn't stick with them so the 20 came back on. Then this summer I found this site and it has been such a great help. I still have a ways to go but I feel like this is something I can really stick with!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    The doctor told me that I was prediabetic. I weighed 267.5 at 5'4". I have lost 23 pounds since August 6th. No way I wanted to be diabetic!
    I was also sick and tired of being sick and tired. One woman posted about Vitamin D. Please get yours checked. Most doctors do not run this automatically. It is very important esp. in areas that do not get much sun. We are told to use sunscreen and wear hats and long sleeves and drink skim milk. Where is the vitamin D going to come from? Also, have your B vitamins checked. I was very low on both. My doctor said I was about a week from being hospitalized due to low vitamin D and I had started taking them about 10 day earlier. Good luck!
  • amymaria91
    Options
    I've been trying on and off for a couple of years, once I was quite successful, but as always I gave up and put the weight back on... and some!

My biggest realisation was on my birthday, I was at an amusement park and got told I had to get off a ride because I was too fat, the harness wouldn't fit me. It was soooo embarrassing having to walk off in front of everyone. After that I felt horrible just walking down the street, I could feel my tummy wobbling and felt like every single person was staring at me and thinking how horrible I looked. I felt like my clothes were going to burst at any moment.

I'm upset just thinking about the above...
  • loganmyangel
    loganmyangel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have always been a heavier set person. I started gaining weight when I was 11 and my best friend died in a drunk driving accident that was his father's fault. I fluctuated a lot throughout middle/high school.

I was at my thinnest when I was 22 and I got pregnant with my twins. At 4 months old, one of my twins passed away. I realized how fast life can end. I sunk into a huge depressive state and lost 44 pounds because I couldn't eat. No the healthiest of ways to lose it but I kept it off until I got very comfortable in a relationship that turned into marriage and 2 more kids.

My (ex) husband was serving in Iraq when I had my youngest son. When I took pictures to email to him, I was disgusted. I didn't have the energy to do much about it, though.

Fast forward to March of this year, I had to buy size 18 jeans. I bawled my eyes out. I joined MFP, but didn't do anything about it because I had 3 kids that had some kind of need needing to be met. My oldest was DXed with ADHD and instead of putting him on meds I wanted to try diet change first. OVERNIGHT I switched from a decent, but crap ladden diet to only whole foods with snacks here and there. Not only did his attitude change (not 100% yet, but we are getting there), but I started losing weight.

Since August of this year, I have lost 21 pounds. 31 since I switched to whole foods only. I am in one of the most stressful times of my life, but I'm not even blinking an eye. I am ready to start my 30's off with a huge bang (turned 30 in September) and rock the (as a friend said) smoking MILF body. LOL
  • mrsredneckmorris
    mrsredneckmorris Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    When my tom stopped and I was told I wouldn't conceive without fertility treatment..
  • schmenly
    schmenly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I stopped waving, but my arm kept on goin'...
  • JMehl135
    JMehl135 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When I found myself spending an hour going through my pictures on facebook to detag ones were my arms showed or I thought I looked fat. Also during that I found pictures of me in a semi-formal dress I loved and thought I looked good in - I detagged more than 50% of the pics in that dress. That was my turning point. And I'm not looking back :)
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    ZombieKillaPrincess Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    i tried running at the park and an old man passed me up big time. he was old enough to be my grandfather and here i am, early 20s, huffing and puffing after a couple 100ft... made me really rethink my fitness level and where i was going with that in life...i knew i had to get serious about it.
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When my future sister-in-law, asked me to be one of her bridesmaid. She and her friends are a size 0-2 and I was a size 28. I didn't want to be that girl. While that started it, I also realized that I didn't diabetes, high blood pressure or heart troubles. That runs high in my family. So why am I at that weight, it was just like I was asking to have problems.
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    when someone asked me if I was pregnant again.....AND I had already been working out for months....but decided I had to start eating better!!!
  • suzyluzy
    Options
    When I struggled to fit a size 14 was my sign.. I remember struggling to fit into 10s..then it moved to 12s.. now 14s.. I don't want to feel that way every time I go to buy jeans!
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    this terrible picture that some1 took of me when I was moving into my dorm last year...i look at it everyday!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!