Limiting potatoes in school lunches

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are a good source of vitamins and minerals, and while I do think it is a good idea to limit the fried potato, I think maybe the focus should be more on changing the preperation of it.

Gosh, I didn't realize so many people wouldn't read the article.

Excerpt:

Potatoes do contain important nutrients—vitamin C, potassium, and vitamin B6, to name a few. But the potato is not the only source of these nutrients, nor is it the best: Cup for cup, for example, broccoli has nearly nine times as much vitamin C as a potato, and white beans have about double the potassium. Yet a cup of potatoes has a similar effect on blood sugar as a can of Coca Cola or a handful of jelly beans. (10) That’s a high metabolic price to pay for nutrients that children can easily get from other sources.

Gosh, actually, I did read the article. I also live in an area where the economy is dependent on the potato crop. I am just trying to say everything in moderation! That is all. Fried=bad, baked=good... You can get lots of vitamins and minerals from grazing on your lawn too, but it does not meen that is the answer to the obesity problem. Just sayin...

I don't understand your posts if you read the article, which is about "limiting" potatoes, not "eliminating" them. That is is what moderation means.

LOL, my point exactly...

Oh sorry. I thought you disagreed with the article. I must have misunderstood.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Instead of demonizing potatoes, why don't they encourage more physical activity in schools? It seems to me that it would be a more cost-effective way to curb obesity in children as well as help establish exercise habits.

Excellent point.

Just goes to show the bureaucratic idiocy that is far too common. "Hey guiz, french fries can make you fatz, so let's demonize potatoes while simultaneously slashing PE programs" Derp.

These 2 words are not synonyms

de·mon·ize   /ˈdiməˌnaɪz/ Show Spelled[dee-muh-nahyz] Show IPAverb (used with object), -ized, -iz·ing.
    1.to turn into a demonor make demonlike.
    2.to subject to the influence of demons.

lim·it  /ˈlɪmɪt/ Show Spelled[lim-it] Show IPAnoun
    1.thefinal,utmost,orfurthestboundaryorpointastoextent,amount,continuance,procedure,etc.:thelimitofhisexperience;thelimitofvision.
    2.aboundaryorbound,asofacountry,area,ordistrict.

Source: dictionary.com

Good Lord, pedantic much?

1. ostentatious in one's learning.
    2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching.

• Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Perhaps we should teach children about calories, exercise and weight management instead of trying to ban all foods that could possibly cause a problem when consumed in excess? (Soylent Green anyone?)

How about we fix our adult obesity problem first. Children are excellent followers of example.
  • tnic86
    tnic86 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I remember eating french fries every day at school...ha ha. Of course, that was back when I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain a pound. Those days are long gone. :D
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Instead of demonizing potatoes, why don't they encourage more physical activity in schools? It seems to me that it would be a more cost-effective way to curb obesity in children as well as help establish exercise habits.

Excellent point.

Just goes to show the bureaucratic idiocy that is far too common. "Hey guiz, french fries can make you fatz, so let's demonize potatoes while simultaneously slashing PE programs" Derp.

de·mon·ize   /ˈdiməˌnaɪz/ Show Spelled[dee-muh-nahyz] Show IPAverb (used with object), -ized, -iz·ing.

Funny, you purposely omitted:

3. to mark out or describe as evil or culpable

While you're looking up terms, you may want to start with this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking_(fallacy)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Rediculious, but not surprised. Now starchy vegetables are evil lol.

??? The article did not say starchy vegetables were evil.
    By limiting starchy vegetables at lunch, and setting new requirements for dark green and orange vegetables, the IOM was trying to steer children’s diets in a healthier direction: “The committee anticipates that…with repeated exposures and high-quality food preparation, students will learn to value the vegetable items offered.” (2, p. 170) In other words, over time, kids will get used to eating broccoli, carrots, and other colorful vegetables—and may even start to like them.

Basically their saying they're calorie dense and implying weight gain and poor health and should be replaced. Much like 30 years ago, when fat was evil and needed to be replaced. For any of this article to make any sense health wise, there would need to be a complete absence of all refined starch to begin with in order to start picking on natural ingredients like root vegetables that have a plethera of healthy micronutirents in them..........get what I mean now.

I get where you are going I think, but I don't understand the "if we aren't going to fix everything, let's not make any improvements" attitude.

I agree that cutting gym class is bad. I agree that soda machines in schoool are bad. But none of that changes the fact that replacing potatoes, something served daily in many schools, with lower GI/GL veggies can be a healthy improvement.
  • christina000
    Options

1.thefinal,utmost,orfurthestboundaryorpointastoextent,amount,continuance,procedure,etc.:thelimitofhisexperience;thelimitofvision.

LOL...

I think potatoes are fine, as long as you don't fry them. Heck my fiances grandparents ate them everyday at dinner, and his grandfather just celebrated his 93rd birthday. This guy still lives on his own with his 85 year old wife, with no caregiver.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

Excellent point.

LOL............can't see the forest.
  • bcattoes
    Options

??? I only omitted the part referring specifically to mathematics as it didn't seem to apply. I still don't see anything about evil. Are you seriously arguing that "limit" and "demonize" mean the same thing? Or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

3.Mathematics.
    a.anumbersuchthatthevalueofagivenfunctionremainsarbitrarilyclosetothisnumberwhentheindependent variableissufficientlyclosetoaspecifiedpointorissufficientlylarge.Thelimitof1/xiszeroasxapproachesinfinity;thelimitof(x−1)2iszeroasxapproaches1.
    b.anumbersuchthattheabsolute valueofthedifferencebetweentermsofagivensequenceandthenumberapproacheszeroastheindexofthetermsincreasestoinfinity.
    c.oneoftwonumbersaffixedtotheintegrationsymbolforadefiniteintegral,indicatingtheintervalorregionoverwhichtheintegrationistakingplaceandsubstitutedinaprimitive,ifoneexists,toevaluatetheintegral.
    4.limits,thepremisesorregionenclosedwithinboundaries:Wefoundthemonschoollimitsafterhours.5.Games.themaximumsumbywhichabetmayberaisedatanyonetime.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/limit
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious.

All I remember about the potatoes in my high school is that you could stick a fork in the mashed potatoes and lift the entire serving.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Specific to mathematics? What the hell are you going on about?

How does the example used by YOUR source

3. to mark out or describe as evil or culpable: (the technique of demonizing the enemy in the run-up to war)

make you think that this is specific to mathematics?
  • tnic86
    Options
    This is hilarious.

All I remember about the potatoes in my high school is that you could stick a fork in the mashed potatoes and lift the entire serving.

Hahahaha!!!! Totally agree.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

By limiting starchy vegetables at lunch, and setting new requirements for dark green and orange vegetables, the IOM was trying to steer children’s diets in a healthier direction: “The committee anticipates that…with repeated exposures and high-quality food preparation, students will learn to value the vegetable items offered.” (2, p. 170) In other words, over time, kids will get used to eating broccoli, carrots, and other colorful vegetables—and may even start to like them.

Basically their saying they're calorie dense and implying weight gain and poor health and should be replaced. Much like 30 years ago, when fat was evil and needed to be replaced. For any of this article to make any sense health wise, there would need to be a complete absence of all refined starch to begin with in order to start picking on natural ingredients like root vegetables that have a plethera of healthy micronutirents in them..........get what I mean now.

I get where you are going I think, but I don't understand the "if we aren't going to fix everything, let's not make any improvements" attitude.

I agree that cutting gym class is bad. I agree that soda machines in schoool are bad. But none of that changes the fact that replacing potatoes, something served daily in many schools, with lower GI/GL veggies can be a healthy improvement.
    Like I said, all starchy carbs including all refined carbs that are now sewved would need to be elimanted before your theory of GI to make any sense.......which it doesn't imo. GL is a different story and basically shows that the GI scale is meaningless, so I don't know why you referred to both. How do they reduce potato's.....if their is an option for potatoes, people will continue to use them and their contention is if they only have veg as a choice they will learn to love them and eat them..lol...are they serious. To me that sounds like elimanating them so the choice isn't there to begin for their theory of liking veg to hold true. They don't know what their talking about and should be looking to nutriently void or defcient foods first and formost and leave healthy options alone.
  • bcattoes
    Options

3. to mark out or describe as evil or culpable: (the technique of demonizing the enemy in the run-up to war)

I thought you meant I left it out of the definitions from dictionary.com.

But I don't see that line in the article either. I did a IE search and it didn't find the word evil, so sorry I'm at a loss as to what exactly you are talking about.
  • shazzannon
    Options

??? I only omitted the part referring specifically to mathematics as it didn't seem to apply. I still don't see anything about evil. Are you seriously arguing that "limit" and "demonize" mean the same thing? Or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

3.Mathematics.
    a.anumbersuchthatthevalueofagivenfunctionremainsarbitrarilyclosetothisnumberwhentheindependent variableissufficientlyclosetoaspecifiedpointorissufficientlylarge.Thelimitof1/xiszeroasxapproachesinfinity;thelimitof(x−1)2iszeroasxapproaches1.
    b.anumbersuchthattheabsolute valueofthedifferencebetweentermsofagivensequenceandthenumberapproacheszeroastheindexofthetermsincreasestoinfinity.
    c.oneoftwonumbersaffixedtotheintegrationsymbolforadefiniteintegral,indicatingtheintervalorregionoverwhichtheintegrationistakingplaceandsubstitutedinaprimitive,ifoneexists,toevaluatetheintegral.
    4.limits,thepremisesorregionenclosedwithinboundaries:Wefoundthemonschoollimitsafterhours.5.Games.themaximumsumbywhichabetmayberaisedatanyonetime.

1) They were referring to "demonize" and not "limit", 2) you have to scroll down the page, but the third definition is definitely there, and 3) it seems to me that YOU are the one arguing for the sake of arguing, as you've attacked several posters in this thread, including assuming they didn't read the article simply because they didn't agree with it.
  • tnic86
    Options
    I'm just shocked that I have not seen the word "potato" spelled "potatoe" in this entire thread!!! Woohoo!!!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Like I said, all starchy carbs including all refined carbs that are now sewved would need to be elimanted before your theory of GI to make any sense.......which it doesn't imo. GL is a different story and basically shows that the GI scale is meaningless, so I don't know why you referred to both. How do they reduce potato's.....if their an option, people will continue to use them and their contention is if they only have veg as a choice they will learn to love them and eat them..lol...are they serious. To me that sounds like elimanating them so the choice isn't there to begin for their theory of liking veg to hold true. They don't know what their talking about and should be looking to nutriently void or defcient foods first and formost and leave healthy options alone.

I think I should be flattered, but I didn't write that article so it's not my theory. The UDSA proposal is to limit how many serviings of potatoes can be offered each week in school and replace those offerings with lower GI foods.

I still say it sounds like a good idea. Not a cure to all school problems, but a step in the right direction.
  • shazzannon
    Options

I thought you meant I left it out of the definitions from dictionary.com.

But I don't see that line in the article either. I did a IE search and it didn't find the word evil, so sorry I'm at a loss as to what exactly you are talking about.

And no, the article doesn't directly state that potatoes are evil. It's what people INFERRED.
  • bcattoes
    Options

3.Mathematics.

1) They were referring to "demonize" and not "limit", 2) you have to scroll down the page, but the third definition is definitely there, and 3) it seems to me that YOU are the one arguing for the sake of arguing, as you've attacked several posters in this thread, including assuming they didn't read the article simply because they didn't agree with it.

Well of course demonize would refer to evil. That was my point (duh!). Limiting potatoes does not = demonizing them.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I like you, PB67.