Sexy in Six ***closed group*** Week Four!!!

Options

Replies

• drgirl1023
    drgirl1023 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    THURSDAY QOTD!
    I want us to go back and reflect on WHY we started our journeys and how we have changed (outside and inside) in the process, because every single one of us had a reason. Please try to be more specific than, "i wanted to look hot," or, "i felt fat." Reconnect with the real reasons you're doing this and feel that motivation spike. I think we all need a reality check sometimes because the tiny details take over and make it hard to appreciate the bigger picture.

There was a time in my life where I felt sexy and confident. When I looked at myself I loved who I was. I also knew that my husband was attracted to me, the way he looked and touched me! Ever since I put on the weight I lost that feeling, I lost the feeling of feeling secure in myself and I knowing that husband wanted me. I don't want to feel insecure in my relationship with my husband - to the point that I think he nolonger finds me attractive. I want to feel great about ME!!! Feeling fat or overweight does cause me to get depressed and it affects everything about me. This time I am motivated and mentally prepared for the change - I want it!!!
  • klyvers512
    klyvers512 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Tuesday QOTD: I think we all struggle with eating well, especially when eating out. How do you deal with restaurants and get-togethers?

I always think ahead to how many calories I should try to stay around. Moderation is key for sure!! If I'm unsure of the calories, I try to figure it out (no smart phone apps here. And I try to work out a little harder either before or afterwards.

Wednesday QOTD:
    Oh, this time is different. I'm not obsessed with dropping the weight fast. I want to do it right and set a good example for my daughter. Actually, she's the one usually wanting to go downstairs to "march" or "jog"...so she helps keep me motivated.
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    THURSDAY QOTD! (I am so sorry for it being late! I lost track of the thread and didn't know I was up!)

I want us to go back and reflect on WHY we started our journeys and how we have changed (outside and inside) in the process, because every single one of us had a reason. Please try to be more specific than, "i wanted to look hot," or, "i felt fat." Reconnect with the real reasons you're doing this and feel that motivation spike. I think we all need a reality check sometimes because the tiny details take over and make it hard to appreciate the bigger picture.

Well, this is thought provoking. You're right, you tend to forget why after awhile - let other things get in the way. I have fought my weight all my life. Wasn't too bad when I got married, but over the years - putting other people first. I basically forgot who I was, had low self-esteem, used food to make me feel good. About 3 years ago I decided I was tired of being unhappy, hurting and feeling like crap. I wanted to find me. I started using a meal replacement (medifast) - still hated exercise. Lost about 75 pounds and started walking. Then started running. Still hadn't dealt with the emotional issues - which lead to a binge cycle. I knew I had to make a decision - get on with it or go back. Still took a bit, but decided to get on with it. Started dealing with things instead of avoiding them. Started exercising - Chalene Extreme, P90X twice and joined the gym. When I finally accepted it was ok to do this for me and no one else (not hubby - now ex-hubby) is when things really clicked. I love exercise, sometimes have to watch it, and love to eat healthy. The food demons will always be there - I know that and try to be ready for it. Espcially the holidays this year - in a few weeks will be 1 year since ex told me he was done and didn't want to work on it anymore. With a 14 year old girl I can't afford a pity party.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    THURSDAY QOTD! (I am so sorry for it being late! I lost track of the thread and didn't know I was up!)

Ah-I know I'm not supposed to but "because I wanted to look hot in my wedding dress!!" That was probably one of the biggest, attainable, short term motivators for me. I had a year to do it and stayed on task because it was something I wanted so bad. I bought a size 14 in September and traded it in for a size 8 in April! The lady at the store couldn't believe it. She thought I had just bought the wrong size! I left the store and cried a little. That was a VERY cool day!

The long term reasons for losing weight is that I'm am a very active person and didn't like that I couldn't always do everything I wanted to simply because I was out of shape. Also, my husband's family has some health problems that he can avoid if he stays healthy.

I'm here today because I've been in maintenance for a year and I don't want to get lazy about all of my healthy lifestyle changes. Thinking about it daily keeps me in the game! Keeps me honest and motivated!

SO cool about your wedding dress! that's an unbelievable change in a really short period of time. Your wedding must have been amazing for you in so many ways! I love that you are still here, just for the healthy lifestyle support. once i get to my goal i plan on sticking around too!
  • arcticbear
    arcticbear Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had a health scare(suspected stroke/high BP), and I have relatives that I fret about too.... my doctor recommended MFP and haven't looked back though I am on medication. Today I saw a 'more mature' tall woman wearing a long sweater over leggings - and I actually thought to myself , one day you will look like that! ALso, I want to be mobile so breaking into a run now and again is something I aim to do as often as i remember. Just want to be fit and active and healthy so that I can fully engage with life!
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOD:

I hit 40, that's why. I decided that it was high time to get my body looking like I wanted to, and to take control over all my habits. I also wanted to enter this new phase of my life healthier. Plain and simple.
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options

The short-term ah ha moment was when my family booked a cruise for next March. I didn't want to be the large one in the pictures next to my thin mom and sister.

I also want to start dating again, and I didn't have the confidence to do so. I've been divorced for six years now. It's time!! :) (I actually have a second date tomorrow night with someone I used to work with!)

A month into my journey a really good friend of mine, who is only 49, had triple bypass surgery. Seeing that incision down his chest and all of places that they took veins from in his legs solidified my wanting a healthier lifestyle. I don't want to be that person on the operating table in 14 years.

I also hated to get ready for work every morning. I am a CPA and the expectation is for me to look professional. I didn't like how my clothes fit and I didn't think I looked very good in them. I am walking around work taller and more confident now. My coworkers have been supportive and have noticed by transformation. It makes me feel good.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

I started this because it was either buy new jeans again or lose weight. I went with the lose weight. And, I was dangerously close to my starting weight a few years ago when I had lost 40 lbs and then put it back on. This time I have learned to eat better and I have great support. I couldn't do it without MFP.
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    ahaha nice, i was going to make this my question when the time came....i like to call it my "camel" moment...aka the straw that broke the camel's back!!!!

I went away with my girlfriends for the weekend, and on the last day we had a huge breakfast and also bought stuff from a yummy bakery. That night i randomly ate nachos along with a ton of bakery stuff and felt so gross!!! I just decided i had to do something!!! I checked my BMI and then i really had to do something!!! that's what got me going!!!
  • TanyaPearce
    Options
    My reason when I first started was so my boyfriend would think that I was hot....very lame I know. Well 5 months ago I did loose weight (him-180#). Then the journey came for me to look good for me, and now it has changed again. I met someone(Kevin)new (just friends) and he is 42, runs everyday and healthy eating. His attitude and zest for healthy living is infectious. He has inspired me to try the running thing. He made it sound so fun. Now that I have fallen on unhealthy times my perspective has changed. I want to have a quality of life, be active and healthy. I am not going to let this mass in my heart h me back.from that either. This is for me and only me! I want to be an inspiration and have that same impact Kevin has had on me. I am currently getting all the girls I work with to do MFP, 2 have joined so far. One other girl went grocery shipping with me and saw all the healthy things and she time me that I was inspiraring her to want to be healthy. Yay!
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I love this! It's so true, we all need to reflect and discover that motivation again :smile:

Well, I've told my story a few times, so sorry to anyone stuck hearing it again :laugh: I was just over the line of obese when I got home from vacation and did my first Komen 5K in June. Both of these events involved taking pictures. Looking at the pictures, I could see how big I looked. I was getting dressed one day and saw myself in the mirror (topless) and it just hit me. I hated the way my gut hung over my waistband, I hated the way I felt, I was just so unhappy with my body. That's when I finally had enough and decided to get my **** straight. Of course, a part of me wants to avoid heart problems, diabetes, high cholesterol or blood pressure, but I was mostly just sick of looking like crap and feeling that way too. I had always used food as a bandaid to fix whatever was bad in my life and I needed to change that.

The number on the scale, the inches I've lost, the size clothing I wear and how I look in those clothes...these are all fairly obvious outward changes since I started MFP. But I feel sexier, more confident, prettier... I don't feel restricted because I'm too out of shape or lazy to do [fill in the blank]. I have a better mindset when it comes to food. I watch how much I eat and the quality of said food. I find that even in stressful situations, I am starting to make rational choices and not turning to food because I'm stressed/angry/sad.
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Its always a journey and I've told my story as well a few times, Biggest picture is that its really about confidence and self acceptance. I have been down to a "normal" size for a few years, and not to bursty any bubbles but the new found hotness does wear off, in the end, I like myself better the way I am now, determined to stay with a healthier lifestyle, and appreciating my new body and the way I feel every single day. As a teacher I see the balance between self conscious and overly confident often, reaching a middle ground is a Great place to be, believing in yourself while remaining humble is sublime.
  • TanyaPearce
    Options
    My reason when I first started was so my boyfriend would think that I was hot....very lame I know. Well 5 months ago I did loose weight (him-180#). Then the journey came for me to look good for me, and now it has changed again. I met someone(Kevin)new (just friends) and he is 42, runs everyday and healthy eating. His attitude and zest for healthy living is infectious. He has inspired me to try the running thing. He made it sound so fun. Now that I have fallen on unhealthy times my perspective has changed. I want to have a quality of life, be active and healthy. I am not going to let this mass in my heart h me back.from that either. This is for me and only me! I want to be an inspiration and have that same impact Kevin has had on me. I am currently getting all the girls I work with to do MFP, 2 have joined so far. One other girl went grocery shipping with me and saw all the healthy things and she time me that I was inspiraring her to want to be healthy. Yay!
  • kaleighmorgan
    Options
    Thursday QOTD:

While it's true that I DO want to look hot, the actual reasons behind me wanting to lose weight run a lot deeper than that. Honestly, I started sucking in my stomach when I was 7 or 8 years old (it's one of those specific memories--I remember my mom saying, "You're way too young to be worrying about your little tummy!") and I've really struggled with my weight/body image since I was 11 or so. I'm not sure where it stems from, it's just always been a battle for me. And as a result, I've been up and down and up and down in weight for literally as long as I can remember. I've spent many a night wishing I was strong enough to just quit eating, but my discipline only lasts for so long. So I guess the reason I'm on this journey has nothing to do with looking hot--it's about finally making peace with myself, my body, and my self esteem. I'm tired of being unhappy with myself & I realize that I am in complete control of it. I have to make my own way and find my own peace.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOTD

I went from a highly active job to a desk job and quickly gained 25 pounds. Then I finally decided it was time to quit smoking. I succeeded (Two years smoke-free on Sunday!), and gained another 15 pounds.

Then my back started hurting. Then my hips started hurting. At 36 years old, I felt like I was an old woman. I knew it was the weight. After seeing my mother have numerous aches and pains...some damn near paralyzing...because of excess weight, I decided it was time to do something about it.

After a few start, stalls and restarts, I think I have finally found my groove. This is the lowest I have been since I gained the quit-smoking weight, and I am so motivated and excited to keep going and get back down to my ideal.
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    THURSDAY QOTD! I want us to go back and reflect on WHY we started our journeys and how we have changed (outside and inside) in the process, because every single one of us had a reason. Please try to be more specific than, "i wanted to look hot," or, "i felt fat." Reconnect with the real reasons you're doing this and feel that motivation spike. I think we all need a reality check sometimes because the tiny details take over and make it hard to appreciate the bigger picture.

I really started in January for a random reason. I had been talking about how I needed to lose weight, and I was unhappy with myself and miserable with how I looked, but even though I said it, I didn't do anything about it. New Year's Eve, my husband and I spent the night with our good college friends and as we went to leave the next day, my friend Jeannie turned to me and said that we were going to be weight loss buddies. She had baby weight to lose and I had my stress and hubby's cancer weight to lose (he was down at Walter Reed for treatment and I drove to DC from Philly every weekend for 9 months which included lots of snacks, lots of drinking, and lots of non-exercise). I didn't really admit to myself how worried I was or how much I was relying on beer and food to keep me together. Looking back, I needed to admit that I was scared and freaked out, but I knew he was going to be fine. They caught it somewhat early, but he needed two surgeries and 3 rounds of chemo, and I never admitted to myself that things were not ok. It wasn't the only reason I needed to lose weight, but a source of about 25-30 lbs.

My friend and I were good weight loss buddies for a while, but life with a 6 month old broke her off from the weekly check-ins, but by that time I had found MFP and haven't looked back. I'm losing weight for me. To feel like me again and to really like what I see in photos. I've never been a hugely active person and I'm relishing this new me. It's nice to wake up in the morning, take a spinning class or hop on the elliptical, take a shower and be in work before 7:20. It's also nice to be back to the point where I don't have to try on 5 things to find something I feel comfortable in. I can just grab whatever is in my dresser or closet and feel fine in it.

The motivation spike was from my friend saying that we were workout buddies because obviously others had noticed that I was bigger. It wasn't just in my head. What keeps me going is the feeling of the new me and vainly, I have a twin sister and she's been the "fat twin" for a long while. Well, she and her boyfriend went on a huge Paleo type diet and she's within a pound of me. That keeps me going too. :) I don't want to be the "fat twin". I don't want her to be the fat twin either, but dang it, she's not going to win. :)
  • mbw2586
    mbw2586 Posts: 88
    Options
    Okay, first I would like to apologize for it being FRIDAY and I haven't answered a question since MONDAY! Sigh. If only I lost weight as much as I lose my mind. Bear with me:
    Tuesday QOTD: I think we all struggle with eating well, especially when eating out. How do you deal with restaurants and get-togethers?

If I know that I will be going out to eat, then I try my best to plan ahead and decide what I will have before going, so there are no surprises. If it's a get together, or a restaurant where I cannot locate the nutritional information, then I try to make wise choices and keep portion sizes under control. Split meals, put half in a box right away, etc. But, ya know, sometimes you just say "Hey, this is life and I'm enjoying it." You eat that piece of cheesecake Aunt Jane made, enjoy it, move on and work your booty twice as hard the next day.
  • mbw2586
    Options
    Wednesday QOTD: Ladies, have you tried to lose weight before? So is this just another "one of those times" or is this different? What makes it different? What are you doing to ensure that you are not right back where you started?

This is my first time really being serious about changing my lifestyle. I spent two or so years saying I WANTED to, and I worked on it here and there, but never had the right mindset. It has been such a hard adjustment, and while I get frustrated with the changes my body has endured from rapid weight gain, part of me is "okay" with having gained the weight because if I hadn't, I don't believe I would ever have cared about healthier eating and exercise.
  • mbw2586
    Options
    THURSDAY QOTD:

Sorry to say, but my main reason for wanting to start a journey was to look hot again! I think that's usually the average person's initial motivation. We are very vain creatures, and our social media doesn't help.

Once I began, though, I realized I had so many more reasons to do this other than vanity. Many reasons, but one was for a very close member of my family that passed away last year from Multiple Myeloma, after managing Rheumatoid Arthritis her entire life, surgeries, and other ailments. She never wanted to stop. She never complained. She was fun and motivated and full of life. It was unfair and I felt guilty for sitting on my couch, watching t.v. and eating pizza rolls.

I know it's not the same, and I know tragic things happen to the healthiest of people, but I feel that I should try to be healthier with this body that I take for granted.
  • mommy2squish
    mommy2squish Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Ok so I just joined last week so im not sure what all questions have been asked. So if anything similar has been asked some please let me know and I will pick a new one.

Friday QOTD: This is more to help me but what is everyones favorite low cal meal/snacks?