Brown Rice! OMG!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• kellybstampin
    Options
    I love MFP people! I was just going to put my 2 cents in and as I read through the comments, I was blown away with more ideas! I was going to say, "just suck it up and eat it b/c it never tastes good." But BOY AM I WRONG! I'll definitely try the brown Basmati idea of toasting first!

I can NOT give up my white jasmine rice, but next time I'm at the store, I'll try the brown jasmine rice......

I do make my own chicken broth and it's MUCH more cost effective that way. I just freeze it in 2c containers b/c that's usually how much you need for a recipe.

And Quinoa....oh, you MUST try it! It's so great. LOTS of recipes out there for quinoa.
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I buy a bag of plain organic. Make your own and use vegetable broth instead of water and it will be reallllly yummy.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Ok now that I have your attention ;o) I want to add brown rice to my diet. I need low sodium low cal GOOD TASTING rice. What do you guys buy?
    There's no real difference in nutritional value in either white or brown rice. Why not just eat white rice?

Huh, and here I always thought that brown rice had more minerals and fiber than white since it was a whole food and not stripped of the bran. Please cite your source that say that they are the same.
  • paravision
    Options
    I love MFP people! I was just going to put my 2 cents in and as I read through the comments, I was blown away with more ideas! I was going to say, "just suck it up and eat it b/c it never tastes good." But BOY AM I WRONG! I'll definitely try the brown Basmati idea of toasting first!

I can NOT give up my white jasmine rice, but next time I'm at the store, I'll try the brown jasmine rice......

I do make my own chicken broth and it's MUCH more cost effective that way. I just freeze it in 2c containers b/c that's usually how much you need for a recipe.

And Quinoa....oh, you MUST try it! It's so great. LOTS of recipes out there for quinoa.
    I know Kelly! I got all of this stuff and tried it. YUM! So delish!
  • paravision
    Options
    I am thinking get some al natural tomato soup/paste, water it down to cook it in then add salsa when done for the Spanish rice
  • Dinah22
    Dinah22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Brown rice? Is that the one that takes 3 days to cook? Ugh! White basmati for me every time!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    uuh, just plain brown rice. Get it in the bulk section, that's where it's the cheapest.

Good advice. I like short grain rice, so I do short grain brown.
  • tmarie2715
    Options
    Brown rice? Is that the one that takes 3 days to cook? Ugh! White basmati for me every time!

LOL! Use a rice cooker. :)
  • tmarie2715
    Options
    I am thinking get some al natural tomato soup/paste, water it down to cook it in then add salsa when done for the Spanish rice

Yum! I do this, too. I mix white short grain with my brown (about half and half) and throw in crushed tomatoes, green chiles, cumin, paprika, a little chili powder and voila! Spanish rice.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer Uncle Ben's to Minute Rice. And for a real treat, stir in 1 teaspoon of no added salt natural Peanut Butter. Yum!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Brown basmati or brown jasmine. I haven't touched instant rice in over 20 years, but that's just because it tastes awful to me in comparison to non-instant (white or brown), others may not notice a difference.