Looking for top 5 tips from all of you successful people...

Options

Replies

• GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    More tips!

1. Learn to say No! Look up those calories and you decide whether those calories are worth it?

2. Keep your calories in a range, for example 1200-1500. It makes life so much easier and less painful.

3. Getting the pounds off will take time! Stay on plan and all your hard work will pay off in lost pounds.

4, This is a life long commitment to changing your food life style. If you do not change, you will regain the weight.

5. Eat healthy! Know your nutrition values in foods. Keep salt and sugar under control. Drink your water.
  • hulalula1
    Options
    1. MEAL PLAN. Sit down one night each week and make a menu plan for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks for the week.

2. GROCERY LIST. Once you've made your menu plan, make a list of exactly what you need to buy. Don't buy anything else.

3. FREEZE. Whenever possible, make double batches of meals and freeze the leftovers so you can have quick meals ready.

4. PROTEIN. Make sure you have some protein with every meal and snack. A few nuts or some cheese will make that apple last a bit longer in your tummy.

5. FOOD RULES. Read Michael Pollan's Food Rules and stick to those rules as closely as possible.
  • hulalula1
    Options
    This is not possible for me, My partner and his 13 year old son eat whatever they want. Cookies, brownies, ice cream, pizza, hot dogs, cheese, peanut butter, mac and cheese, processed white bread....you get the picture. I have asked them to limit/change their eating habits to no avail. I go back and fourth from sticking to it to having food binges when no one is looking! Self will run riot all too often. Now what?

If they want to eat junk, they need to:

1. buy only as much as they can eat in one sitting so there's nothing left around for you or
    2. eat it somewhere other than at home so you never even see it

If you really can't control yourself around unhealthy food (I know I can't), you have every right to set these rules in your own home!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    This is not possible for me, My partner and his 13 year old son eat whatever they want. Cookies, brownies, ice cream, pizza, hot dogs, cheese, peanut butter, mac and cheese, processed white bread....you get the picture. I have asked them to limit/change their eating habits to no avail. I go back and fourth from sticking to it to having food binges when no one is looking! Self will run riot all too often. Now what?

This is going to sound easier said than done, but it did work in our household.
    Who does the grocery shopping? You or him? This is a chore my husband and I share but since we are pretty like-minded on nutrition, it is not a big deal. We buy the good food and if we want anything junk-like, it involves a special trip.
    HOWEVER, the 16-year-old son and 23-year-old daughter who live in the house with us, well, not so much. They are the junkfood junkies here. If they want the crap, they have to go get it themselves.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • Allison128
    Allison128 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This is such an awesome topic with such awesome answers.

I need to listen to my own advice...

1. Do this for you and you only. If you don't take care of yourself no one else will. Being fat is not a good feeling. Being fat is not healthy. There is absolutely NO benefit from being overweight!

2. Workout and make it fun. Strength and cardio. I always burn way more cals doing strength and circuit training then cardio by itself. Your workout time is the only time in the day that is truly about you! Don't try to multi task at the gym by reading and running or walking on the treadmill and talking on your cellphone. Get off the phone and focus on yourself!

3. weigh your food and log/count your calories.

4.cook in bulk. its hard to plan meals for the week. Cook enough for a few days and have leftovers...not seconds.

5. Be proud of how far you have come and always remember how having the extra weight feels and looks and makes you feel. I felt ugly, depressed, ashamed, fat and embarassed. I hated buying large clothes!

6. I loved the last epidosed of the biggest loser. the last challenge they make the contestants carry their "losses" from point A to point B to help emind them of how much they have lost and how far they have come. I've lost almost 25lbs. Do you know how heavy a 25lb weight is at the gym??? its pretty heavy. I just always try to remind myself that I'm much happier lifting the 25lb weight 3x a week versus 24/7.
  • yellowdog77
    Options
    bump
  • muriah2
    muriah2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    1. Figure out why you overeat. Determine the emotional/mental issues that drive you to overeat. Once you do, you gain control over cravings, binges, mindless eating.

2. Learn portion control. Measure out your food.

3. Find some exercise or physical activity you enjoy, and do it regularly.

4. Get a check up. If you have any health issues caused by weight gain, use that as motivation to lose the weight.

5. Log ALL calories at MFP. Be totally honest with yourself about how much and what you're eating. Then, don't judge yourself. Just eat better.
  • sunshinesher01
    sunshinesher01 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump... Saving so I can look back at all of these tips. You guys are great!!
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    1. Do at least 30 minutes of cardio every day
    2. Lift weights 5 days per week
    3. High protein/low carb diet
    4. No processed foods/no fast food/no refined sugars
    5. NO cheat days no matter how bad I want it (I am a VERY all or nothing person, if I cheat one day, I will cheat every day) lol

Good luck!!! :)
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    1. Eliminate processed foods, refined sugars, and junk food
    2. Up your protein, limit your fats
    3. Drink your water
    4. Mix up your exercise (strength and cardio)
    5. Eat back your exercise calories

Look at my ticker...I'm at goal...that should tell you something.

Yeppers!
    Fats are OK... in moderation. The idea is basically to eat "right"
  • meeko_meerkat
    meeko_meerkat Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great answers everyone, many inspirational tips. I feel so motivated now :D
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    bump to finish reading - these are great
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    bump
  • becca473
    becca473 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Bumping this list for future reading!

Beth
  • jem728
    jem728 Posts: 88
    Options
    Wow, you guys are great. Awesome tips.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    - Do what you can now. Don't wait for the beginning of the week, month, year, etc....
    - Modify your workouts, so you can keep on going instead of going high with intensity, burning out or worse yet, injuring yourself.
    - Always be willing to try something new. If your same ol' routine isn't working out, drop it for now whether it's an exercise routine, the cookbook that requires impractical ingredients, prep time, etc....
    - Tinker, tinker, adjust along the way. Read about how other people do certain things to learn about new ways to go about doing something you never thought about doing yourself unless it's harmful to you (like fad diets).
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options
    1. Don't lie to yourself about the foods you log (I'm not saying do, just saying). Log everything you eat and drink.
    2. Drink water, drink water, drink water.
    3. Allow yourself something "good" every once in a while. Example: had a piece of Halloween Candy yesterday and I'm not beating myself up over it.
    4. Work out
    5. Drink water, drink water, drink water.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!