WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Yesterday a friend asked me to help her with some sort of workshop at the high school where she subs. I said "yes" but do you know that the first thing that popped into my head was "then I can't go to yoga class". I'll probably do a yoga DVD that day, but it was just interesting that that was my first thought.

My daughter is going to come here tomorrow night for the social. She wants to make these crab "spiders" and hot dog mummies. Well, it's really not all that bad. I got the ingredients for her and cut up the peppers for the spider's legs. Update: we made them last night, just fried the crab cakes and we'll put them together shortly before the social.

For Halloween Vince is usually outside monitoring the fog machine and I'm inside giving out the candy. To have it in front of me...yuk. What I did last year was pop a big bowl of air popped popcorn and had that instead of the candy. We're having a social for the Newcomers here Sat. night so been busy decorating, etc.

Welcome Karin. Just jump right in anytime at all, I know the ladies really want to get to know you.

Lisa - silly as this may sound, what I've found sometimes works for me when it seems that I'm not losing is to up my calories for a day or two. Guess it confuses the body. Pam is so right, be sure you're not taking in too few calories or it WILL backfire on you. And be sure you're getting enough sleep (unlike me)

Got a question for all the ladies who have gone thru "the change". Did you find that at times you just couldn't sleep? Lately, and I don't know if it's that I'm thinking about this social and wanting to make sure that I have enough of everything, but the other night I was up at 2, last night I was up at 4. So many nights lately I've gotten up even before the alarm clock rings.

Today exercise-wise was a real bummer. I hadn't used the stairmaster in a while so I was really looking forward to it. But when I got to the one and only branch of the Y that has only 1 (their other one broke and they never replaced it), it was broken. There's a sign on it that says that maintenance has been called, but my guess is that it won't get fixed. So I had to change things up and decided to just walk on the treadmill, but I did it at 4.5mph and 1.5% incline. Then I went to the tai chi class, and I'm glad that I did. The lady who teaches the yoga on Sat. told me that the class was cancelled since she couldn't find a sub. I suggested to her that she get a list of everyone's email addresses and if something comes up, at least she can email us to let us know.

Rita - if you get your shovel out, it definitely won't snow. It never does when you're prepared. Same with rain. The year we got 10" of snow, our shovels were in storage.

Couldn't sleep this a.m. (got up at 4) so I made cupcakes to take to the Y. They were celebrating birthdays and I wanted to try this recipe. It was pretty good. I gave them 6 and took 6 to the bowling alley. Didn't practice bowl, didn't have time to. There are so many times when I've wished they'd opened earlier.

Anyone hear from chicklet lately?

kackie - I like Rodney Yee's yoga DVD's. Wish he had more. I hear ya about missing the yoga class, I'll be missing it tomorrow even tho I know that next week the lady will be back teaching the class. I purposely didn't get the apples for the social because I figured I'd get them tomorrow and then go to yoga. Had I known last week that there wasn't going to be a yoga class, I would have bought them last week. Well, she probably didn't know either.

sally - enjoy your "girls night". Sounds like lots of fun.

They're supposed to start repaving our road Tuesday and they're starting on our road, so I'm thinking that I may do something at home.

Lisa - enjoy your spa weekend!

Robin - I, too, hate that "drool mouth". Whenever they put a filling in, even when I had the tooth ground down for the crown, I didn't take novacane. Admitted, I do have a high tolerance for pain, but I hate that feeling of not feeling your mouth.

Cynthia - Two of our cats had to have radioisotope treatement for their thyroid. The vet said that 10 or 15 years ago, they didn't see it as much, but now they're seeing it a lot. I know that cats aren't people but he said the suspicion might be something in the environment. Real helpful, huh? "something in the environment" - that could be anything from the air to building materials in the homes, to even the way the food is grown.

I'm like you, barbie, my diary is open. People do ask questions (and I've asked questions of others), which is nice, but I've never had someone make a comment without my asking them. On another note, one year I wore a pig nose on Halloween to aerobics. The next year I had to go for the removal of a fiberadinoma and I wore it into the operating room. Hope the docs and nurses got a smile out of that.

Rebel - so glad you're feeling better

Cathy - congrats on the big loss

Jet - you go girl on every front! When you are sitting for your gd, try to have some healthy snacks cut up and ready to just munch on. Keep fruit in your refrigerator, that's easy to grab

Whenever I bake salmon, it always comes out dry. Anyone know why and what I should do differently?

Kackie - that is so sad about Jim, and so nice of your dh to surprise him.

Well, better run. Did a 45min yoga DVD today. The PLAN is to do an hour of Wii Hula Hoop tomorrow, that's the PLAN.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Michele
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies.

It's been a busy Saturday so far - I haven't had a moment to myself but did manage to walk for two hours. I just left the car behind and walked to the nursing home to visit mum-in-law. I was pleased that I did, as she was having one of her off days - walking home afterwards made me stomp off my bad thoughts.

I've got to get my Halloween costume ready this evening, ready for my sister's annual party tomorrow. I was going to go as Mommie Dearest but I'm now going as a dark fairy - because my DD is going as a light fairy and wanted an opposite number.

Have a good Saturday my friends.

Love
    Amanda x
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Had a great night last night razor clam digging. No rain or wind. Don't really like digging after dark. But I only have this weekend off.
    I work all the other schedule tides. For these I have gone to no frying. Use the broiler. egg white wash and panko. spray foil wrapped cookie sheet brown and flip over to brown other side. Oh so yummy. And no mess to clean up
    I met my goal for Oct. In the 160's for 2 weeks. I weigh in on Monday.

Michelle- I find most people cook salmon until it is done. But it continues cooking after removing from oven ,grill or pan. Try removing from heat a minutes before done.I like sliced lemon or onions wrap in foil.

Rebel glad to hear that you got everything taken care of. I to believe that medical personnel are not as pro active as they use to be. We have to be just as pro active as the doctor.

Welcome to all the newcomers.
    Congrats to all who have stuck with it.
    Have a great weekend.
    Joyce
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Got a question for all the ladies who have gone thru "the change". Did you find that at times you just couldn't sleep? Lately, and I don't know if it's that I'm thinking about this social and wanting to make sure that I have enough of everything, but the other night I was up at 2, last night I was up at 4. So many nights lately I've gotten up even before the alarm clock rings

Michele

michele, i went through the change maybe 5-6years ago and yes i suffered from lack of sleep, but it wasnt always ...something that helped then and still does is melatonin...its a natural supplement....google it to see if its something that might work for you....

good luck:flowerforyou:
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Hi everyone.... I had a lovely weekend at hotel in the city with 7 girlfriends to celebrate a birthday.... a fantastic massage and facial, lots of laughs, a few drinks (probably too many), some great food...... yes calories probably way over (especially as I got home to my DH cooking a family bbq plus choc brownies and ice cream for dessert) .... too hard to figure out so just logged in as way over and will be back on track tomorrow for a fresh start....I even have a positive attitude after all the wonderful support from my MFP friends .... so glad we are all in this together!

OK I'm going to go public with the diary.... I read all the comments and seems the general consensus is that its fine... so feel free to peek and I'm open to advice.... but just remember this past weekend was not typical.

Michele.... I don't sleep either.... I wake up nearly every night at least once, often more... hot/cold/hot/cold.... can't say I've ever got up and baked cakes though!!

I feel for all of those here who have serious health issues.... i am very lucky to not have any at this stage.... I'm so glad you are all here trying to get yourself as healthy as can be to help in your struggles.... my thoughts are with you all :flowerforyou:

And Kackie your husband is a wonderful friend to go and see his mate in hospital like that.... that's what friends are for... support.

Jet - gosh you have your hands full ..... but you are lucky to have your mother with you ....and she must have some very good genes to get to 98!

Barbie - enjoy those salmon.... I'm sooo jealous, I love salmon ... and freshly caught... what a treat!

Kathy and all those who have have had good losses.... congratulations.... I look up to you all and I know my time will come if I just stay positive, eat healthy, smaller portions and keep moving!

Thanks to everyone... I love sitting and reading about you all:heart: and to all those who celebrate halloween... have fun (we don't traditionally celebrate it in Australia although it is starting to infiltrate the shops these days and some kids do come around and knock on doors trick or treating.... i must remember to get some lollies tomorrow (candy).... the problem is if no one comes I then have it in the house and it calls my name!

Night all, lisa:happy:
  • Sweetpea3963
    Sweetpea3963 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,
    This morning I decided to stop taking my arthritis medication. I just can't deal with being up all night with abdominal pain anymore. I will have to learn to deal with it another way. I have a doctor's appointment in the next couple of weeks and will report to my doctor. I have stomach issues anyways and this medication has just exacerbated the issue. My throat is also on fire and I am not sure if it's from my acid reflux (which I also take medication for) or from sinus issues (due to weather changes). Hopefully, I will get these health issues under control soon. I hate feeling this way! Thanks for letting me vent.

Renate
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Soccer and other fall sports are over for my kids as of yesterday! I hope to be able to post on a regular basis again. I have put 7 pounds on since I stopped swimming to be home on Sundays and have a rest day from driving all over the place. I hope to replace swimming with walking my poor dogs and doing yard work through out the winter when the weather is nice.

Michelle, I have problems sleeping and take Melatonine to help me fall asleep. It is all natural and recommended by a lot of doctors and safe. My son's doctor has him take it for PTSD to help him relax and sleep. My MIL told me about it years ago, but it can react with some medications, so you do have to check with your pharmasist if you take medication.

To everyone in New England - I hope you are all safe and warm during the first snow storm of the year.

Jeannie
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,
    This morning I decided to stop taking my arthritis medication. I just can't deal with being up all night with abdominal pain anymore. I will have to learn to deal with it another way. I have a doctor's appointment in the next couple of weeks and will report to my doctor. I have stomach issues anyways and this medication has just exacerbated the issue. My throat is also on fire and I am not sure if it's from my acid reflux (which I also take medication for) or from sinus issues (due to weather changes). Hopefully, I will get these health issues under control soon. I hate feeling this way! Thanks for letting me vent.

Renate

renate, sorry your not feeling well....i have recently been diagnoised with arthritis in my hip, my suggested that i would be a candidate for a hip replacement down the road....i have notice that the pain is more manageable when i am more active, but i do live with pain, some days more than others.....maybe ask the dr. about yoga or some stretch exercise, also are there any natural supplements that might help?....feel better soon:flowerforyou:
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

I spent the better part of the day with my son, DIL and 2 of the grandkids (this is the DIL that just announced she is expecting again), They invited me to go to th4e "Pumpkin Patch" with them so I did. We walked around for almost 2 hours so it was great, lots of exercise and the kidlets loved it. They even managed to pick out a pumpkin :laugh:

We went out for lunch afterwards but because I was so excited about my excellent loss yesterday, I kept to my plan and had only salad and chicken and no extras. I was proud of myself, no nibbling of fries or anything :grumble:

Kackie - I sure hope that your DH can get some nice quality time with his friend :smile:

Michele - Yes, I sure did (and still do have) trouble sleeping. I am so glad you asked about that, I learned some interesting answers and I am going to look into the melatonine myself. Thanks, all :flowerforyou:

Amanda - Hope your Halloween party went well :happy:

Renate - I really hope you can get your health issues sort out; you that must be so frustrating for you :flowerforyou:

I hope everyone who lives along the Eastern Seaboard are safe and not getting hit too hard by the storm :smile:

Well, Ladies, that is about it for now. I have to go and do some laundry and sort out what I didn't do today because I was with the kids.

So, talk to you soon. Stay well.

Love, Cathy xx
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a good week-end.We have rain today,better than anyone who is dealing with the snow.
    have pt tomorrow and gonna spend the day with my 2 son`s and DIL and my precious 3 year old-witch or princess.She has 2 costumes,not sure what she will be.
    The weather is suppose to cooperate.
    HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!
    Will catch up later.
    Anyone who isn`t feeling well.Hope you get better quick.
    HUGS
    jane
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Since we are talking arthritis, does anyone know about any connection between thyroid autoimmune disease and arthritis? I saw something when I was researching (again) on thyroid's Hashimoto's disease - which I have - and a possible relationship to other autoimmune issues. If you know more than I do, please message me. Or if you know of a MFP post on the subject let me know. I would like to exchange information.

:wink: I had a great time shopping with DD today. We took baby Zachary with us, had some lunch and were successful in getting what we set out to buy - for BOTH of us. Home around 4 PM. Zachary is such a sweetheart, and an easy going baby. He hardly fusses at all. He is big for his age, but SUPER cute!!!! I am such a proud grandma :love: :love: :love: I should post another picture.

Have a great week all my MFP friends!!

:heart: :heart: Rebel
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

DH got home after a very nice visit with his sick friend. Jim was so thrilled and surprised to have him show up. My husband went and got dinner and champagne for his friend and his 2 sons and they had a nice evening together. (Did I mention that it was Jim's 60th Birthday???) DH is now asleep on the sofa and I don't have the heart to make him get up. He said it was sad in so many ways because his friend has gotten so thin and weak. He was so happy that he went but I think it was emotionally draining.

We have a couple coming in tomorrow for a couple of days. He and DH worked together over the years and we alway enjoyed getting together with them for dinners etc. They were in Charleston for a wedding and will drive over for a nice visit. I have been to store, stocked the Frig and have a heathy dinner planned for tomorrow night. We'll take them out on the boat Tuesday for a little outing and I have most of what I need for a picnic. I hope the weather stays nice for that. I have eaten more calories over the weekend than usual but have also gotten more exercise than usual. Don't know how I will fit in my exercise tomorrow, but will get something done before our guests arrive I hope.

Everyone have a good week and I hope we hear from some of our missing friends soon. Take care, All:heart: Kackie
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

We had flurries last nite...but today was a beautiful fall day. We were lucky that we didn't have any damage from the wind or a power outage. From what I heard, those in the northern part of the state were hit a bit hard. Spent the day w/hubby hitting our favorite stores to stock up on groceries...and I bought lots of fruit n veggies. (Sounds like a few of us spent the day shopping!) And even made my own applesauce....inspired by Barbie.
    I'm happy to say that I haven't eaten any of the candy we bought for the neighborhood kiddies. Pat n Eric have had quite a bit!

I also have trouble w/sleeping. I feel tired most of the day, but when it's time for bed.....I'm awake. Totally backwards! I'll check into the melatonin too. Does it also help w/hot flashes?? I think Patrick might also be able to use it. No menopause for him :laugh: He's just a restless teenager....It would probably help him to turn off his cellphone around 10:smile:

I wish my guys were little again so I could dress them up for trick or treat. I think the last time Patrick went out...he did it spur of the moment. He was 15 and his friends nagged him to go out. Since he didn't have a costume, he stuck a sign on his shirt that said "My little brother is sitting in the pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin. He asked me to collect his candy for him." He came home w/loads of candy...the neighbors loved his sign.

Nite all...time to wake Eric and boot him out to work.

Rita
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Michele – I second the motion on melatonin, it works fairly well. I still have the hot/cold thing going on sometimes when I sleep but not any other time of day. The hot flashes got lots better for me with time. I never took any HRT. When I'm not tossing and turning I am throwing the covers off and putting them back on. DH says it's kind of like sleeping next to a chicken on a rotisserie. Nice huh? :huh: My issue mostly is getting to sleep not staying asleep. I have a rule that if I don't make it in 30/45 minutes I better get up, do something to get the kinks out, and try again later. Some days sleep seems more like work than the relaxation it should be. I guess it's the price we pay for the privilege of getting a bit older. :wink:

Renate – Vent away, we don't mind.:smile: I can see why you would want to get rid of the meds for your arthritis if it's tearing up your stomach. Have you ever tried liquid glucosamine/chondroitin? I had been taking the pill form for 30 years and switched to the liquid type several years ago because it absorbs better than the pills. I increase the amount I take over what is recommended on the bottle when I have a flare-up. The stuff is quite benign (for me anyway – I'm sure no doctor) unless you are allergic to shellfish. You might want to ask your doctor if it would be a good fit for you. If you don't have bone on bone issues, it might be something that would work for you. At any rate, I do hope you find something that works for you. If you try it, it takes a good month or so to get the full effect.

I have my fall veggie garden planted except for one spot I left for some Vidalia onions. I really like them because they are so sweet. I am having a hard time finding them this year but I'll keep on looking for a while yet. I have some spots left in my flower beds that I want to fill with standard red snapdragons. There is a place that should have some in tomorrow or Tuesday and then I will be done planting until spring.

DH is watching football. I think I'll go get in the jacuzzi tub with a pot of tea and finish the book I'm reading. It's either that or watch football with him and work on an afghan I'm knitting for a Christmas present. Tub and book sounds like more fun.

Faye
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    After a crazy Saturday….people were getting ready for the storm and it was crazy….it felt good to get back to normal today. We didn’t get much snow (thank goodness—it is just too early). I didn’t get much exercise yesterday. Today I went to my strength training class and it felt great.

Renate….I know that I had issues with a prescription arthritis med too after I had knee surgery. Initially, my surgeon prescribed celebrex and that didn’t bother me. Later, my PCP suggested I try Tylenol for Arthritis and she told me to make sure I bought the brand name (not a generic) and to take the dose prescribed on the bottle (I think it is two tablets every 8 hours). Once I did that..after I couple of days it was better than the celebrex for me. Don’t hesitate to call your doc….maybe they can change your med. Good luck!
    Kackie….Have a wonderful time with your friends. It must have been rough for your husband to visit his friend but what a wonderful thing for both of them.
    Have a good night!
    Sally
  • cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new but would like to join. I just started my diet last Monday. First weigh in tomorrow morning. I have been good so I hope the scale is good to me.

Sue.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Rebel – wow, that is an amazing story. Yep, lazy or “all in your mind” seem to be the main mantras. Sigh.

Kathy, glad things are coming together for you.

Cathy, WOOHOOOO, congrats on that great loss.

Kackie, so sorry for your friend.

Renate, I sure hope you can find a better medication for your arthritis, so sorry about the stomach problems.

Faye, so cool that you have a fall garden.

Had a nice day hiking with hubby, it's been a bit. Looking forward to getting out there and doing that more. Have to go to class tomorrow so not much Halloween fun, but that's okay. Went to a b-day dinner on the strip at a place called STK that is part restaurant part night club with a d-jay in the middle of the place. It was hard to talk because it was so loud but it was fun seeing a lot of the patrons in costumer (Halloween is all weekend on the strip), singing, and dancing by the tables. Food was so-so and I didn't eat all I had planned for so ended the night well below my goal.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Boo! Happy Hallowe'en from a "ghost" from the past...

Cathy, Jet, Rita and everyone who's leaner this week Con VERY gratulations!

Rita, Have you tried your guys on roasted (ala SMVQ) or grilled veggies? They really taste sweeter, richer better!

Thanks to all for the melatonin and glucosamine reminders. Hugs to all struggling with health and eldercare issues.

Will try to scan posts back, but honestly need to spend the time on the Wii or making healthy lunch. :}

Tomorrow's November already, ready with the Oct recap and Nov goals?

Hugs to all,
    bk
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies

Had a great time at the Halloween party yesterday. Some of the costumes were fab. DH dressed up as my nephew who is 16. He had the attitude down just right - funny that my nephew couldn't see it!

My darling grandtwins started as Princess Leia and Chewbacca then changed into the littlest vampire and a fairy ballerina. Too precious for words! I'll try to put some photos on later, if someone could kindly remind me how to do it from photobucket.

Off to take the twins out for another walk. I managed 2 hours with them this morning and would like to do the same this afternoon. I do the walking, they get to ride in their pushchair.

Back later.

Love
    Amanda x
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hoping you all have a safe and happy Samhaim.