Senior Golden Sneakers............October

Options

Replies

• pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    I'm still here, just had a busy day Friday. We are at home, today is so pretty, sunny, beautiful colors in the trees, and lots of leaves on the ground.
    The cats are fine, growing, eating, and___ing, lol.
    We let them out this morning, trying to teach them about the pet door.. two or three of them have it all figured out, but the others only go out when I hold the flap. They don't try yet to come back inside. This is important because we hope to teach them to go in and out on their own eventually. We aren't sure yet if we should allow them to do this when we travel, or just when we are at home. We are playing it by ear, learning what works as we go.

We spent most of yesterday driving, -the one thing I don't want to do when we are home.. lol, but it was necessary. we had our truck in the shop, took it up in the morning and picked it up in the evening. then I made a grocery stop on the way back last night, so I wouldn't have to go anywhere today.. yay! It was a dreay day for driving, rain, and mizzle, as Jackie calls it. then a real downpour that lasted about five minutes. It resulted in cooler weather, but nice.

Sandy, hope you get good news from your doctor about your knees, it is good that they want you to wait til you really need the surgery. My cousin had the replacement, and she said she will always walk with a limp, but the worst of the pain is gone, so she doesn't mind. However, my brother in law had surgery on one knee, and he cannot bend it much, still has pain, and won't consider surgery on the other one, or even an attempt to fix the fixed one. So it sometimes is better to wait, isn't it?

Jackie, you certainly got a workout in your garden, hauling those bags of gravel, The honey in tea and on cereal sounds great. I almost bought crumpets yesterday, but resisted..lol, but I didn't resist the sugar free pumpkin pie. I get them at wal mart, love the taste, and try not to eat the crust.

Chris, I would love your weight watchers no crust pumpkin pie and apple crisp recipes, pretty please..
    I think I have one crustless pumpkin pie recipe, just no time to look for it right now. I want to try a coconut or pecan crustless recipe, if I can find one, or make up a recipe.. for dh.

Welcome Doug, you sound pretty busy, and the photo shows you know how to have fun too!

Maddie, I never used volume and body shampoo, coz my hair didn't need either, but I guarantee that the sleek and silky kind doesnt do a thing for the rest of me!! I'll try Dawn tonight!!

Jackie, when I get done here, I am going to watch the cat videos, can't wait, thanks.

Marie, sorry about the rangers, I was rooting for them. Both teams had a great season. Connie posted lots of comments on facebook about the cardinals. I wish Connie would come back here.

Jeanne, sorry you are having cholesterol blues, it is a tough one to control for some people, and I wonder why. Some people have hereditary high cholesterol, and others never have any problems at all.. like me.. mine is always good, and it runs that way in my family. My husband has high readings and his family does too. One aunt has constant readings over 300. she is thin, and watches her diet and exercises, but the numbers won't budge. Let us know how the synthroid makes you feel, I'd am curious about it.
    Shirley, wasn't it cold sleeping on the boat? well, of course you had heat, lol, but it would seem so cold on the water at this time of year, except maybe in Florida with Buzz.
    And how are you today, Ms. Buzz? hope you are soaking up some warm rays for all of us!

It looks like the forecasts for a tough winter are right, so let's all do our best to stay healthy and safe. For me, that means remembering to take all of my supplements, and my vitamins. I think they help me.

Time for lunch.. late lunch, coz we had a late breakfast. The grocery has Eat Smart bagged veggies for 1.00 per bag this week, so that's my lunch, steamed with a little melted butter and sometimes diced chicken. Yum!

see ya later
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi Seniors,

phoebe, the recipes are on line, they are weight watchers and south beach. All I did was type curstless pumpkin pie and its there. I did the same with crustless apple pie. I like the apple crisp the best and it is the south beach one, just type apple crisp and pick the south beach one. If you can't find it I will get it to you.
    So yesterday was a good day for me. I was under on my calories for the day and I think I will be under today too. I have decided to exercise a little more every day and that seems to help. I make no excuses and I tell myself that every day.

Today my day goes like this, my husband and I went to meet friends for coffee and didn't stay to long. We got home and I cleaned the kitchen for 1/2 an hour and made a small salad for lunch. We then went for a walk and then cut back the flowers for the winter. The wind is blowing all the leaves off the trees, I am so glad so we don't lose any in the winter. Then we sat down for crustless pumpkin pie ( weight watchers) and cool whip. The pie is only 82 cal. So it is so worth it. I read a magazine (AARP) and drinking my second cup of green tea.

I am going in my sewing room when I get off the computer and cut our some things to sew next week.
    I am diabled but I try to do everything I can. My dr was surprised how much I do, I told him if I don't keep going I am afraid I may not be able to move later on in life.
    Well, have a great day .\
    Chris:drinker:
    Options
    Thanks Chris, I got the recipes, they sound great!
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have been busy feeling sorry for myself as I fight a cold. It is much better today, thankfully. I did get my flu shot as I didn't have a fever. I likely should have waited. However, all that said, my heart is with all of you who are bravely fighting much worse than the common cold. I didn't see a post from Jeri. I hope the treatments are going well. Also, thinking of your sister, Sandy. Irene, I hope that you are doing well. I did not get a chance to read all the posts yet and perhaps I will find answers when I do.

I am going to a concert tonight, a Men's Chorus. My cousin is singing. They are doing songs from 1950-51. Last year they did WW II songs. So glad I have stopped coughing so that I can go. We are going out for dinner first so I better get ready to go. I have to make a run to the meat shop so that Dave can make himself something to eat. His specialty is a sandwich.

Take care, my friends. Gayla :heart: :smile:
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    A hearty [img][/img]1127168qo8basv9g8.gif to DOUG!
    My son rides one of those recumbents and he had it made to order, and it looks just like yours! I wish he'd use it, though, as at 57 his weight is way up there and I doubt he'll lose that 100 pounds necessary to lose! Good for you, getting after important things to grab onto a long healthy happy future. And happy to add you to our group. Barbie's husband Jake will be pleased to have company.

Don't know where today went, except we Netflix'd an old Kathy Bates movie most of the afternoon (rainy 77 degrees) and then??? I don't recall where I got lost! I'm ashamed to post my food, though I did anyway. ANd I maybe need a bit of a nudge to get back up on the wagon! I just love rhubarb strawberry pie :sad: and Ben and Jerry's chocolate anything!:ohwell: Barbie, don't even read this!!!

Anyway, DH is rumbling and grumbling which means EAT, so have a good Saturday night, and Sandy, I'm white-lighting your sister!

Buzz
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday!! :bigsmile:

The sun is trying to peek out but they are calling for rain all day. :grumble: My sister has an infection in her blood and had to have another pet scan yesterday. She is so tired of tests but I told her she has to fight and she said she is trying. :cry:

It is always great to come on here and read every one's posts and know you are always here for each other. It is so important to live healthy with exercise and although I am better at preaching than doing I know we all want to be healthy or we wouldn't be here. :heart:

Gayla, good to hear from you and hope you feel better soon. The concert sounds like it was fun, I love 50's music. :love:

Chris, you are a great role model for this site, you keep doing what you know is good for you even with disabilities.

Phoebe, I haven't made up my mind about my knee, I have heard pros and cons but to be pain free would be wonderful. I am just not sure this is the right time with all that my sister is going through.

Buzz, you always have wonderful graphics in your posts. Remember the old saying slow down and smell the coffee?

Cheryl, Marisa, another friend and I are going to a Halloween Party at the Country Club today. It is for the kids and they have food, a disc jockey, crafts and a hay rides among other things so it will be fun for the kids.

Have a great day!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sandy, I will be praying that God gives your sister the strength to continue fighting.:heart:

:flowerforyou: Gayla, did your doctor tell you what strains of flu that your shot covers? They are saying that we will be having the same ones as last year, but what if another type starts circulating?

:flowerforyou: Chris, I am going to have to check on the recipe for the crustless pumpkin pie. Sounds great and low calorie...can't beat that.

:flowerforyou: buzz, you seriously had 77 % temps? Lucky girl !!!

I turned on the furnace this morning. First time this year. I really need more heat in the house to help dry the clothes I am hanging up all over.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    A little risque but oh so funny!!

After returning from his honeymoon in Florida with his new bride, Virginia, Luigi stopped by his old barbershop in Jersey to say hello to this friends.

Giovanni said, "Hey Luigi, how wasa da treep?"

Luigi said, "Everyting wasa perfecto except for da train ride down."

"Whatayou mean, Luigi?" asked Giovanni.

"Well, we boarda da train at Grana Central Station. My beautiful Virginia , she pack a biga basketa food. She bringa da vino, some nice cigars for me, and we were lookina forward to da trip, and open upa da luncha basket .

The conductore come aby, waga his finger at us anda say, 'no eat in disa car. Musta use a dining car.'

So, me and my beautiful Virginia, we go to da dining car, eat a biga lunch and starta at open da bottle of a nice a vino!
    Conductore walka by again, waga his finger and say, 'No drinka in disa car! Musta use a cluba car.' So, we go to cluba car.

While a drinkina da vino, I starta to lighta my biga cigar. The conductore, he waga is finger again and say, 'No a smokina in disa car. Musta go to a smokina car ..'
    "We go to a smokina car and I smoke a my biga cigar. Then my beautiful Virginia and I, we go to a sleeper car anda go to bed. We just about to go badaboom badaboom and the conductore, he walka through da hallway shouting at a top of his a voice..

'Nofolka Virginia !
    Nofolka Virginia !'

"Nexta time, I'ma just gonna taka da bus."
    Options
    Sandy, that was a good one, lol!
    I wish I was more like Barbie, I am a slow starter in the morning. So I'm on this computer and not getting much else done. supposed to be transferring audiobooks to my ipod.. my pc is too feeble to do two things at once, so I'm going to have to be brief (lol, me? brief? nah!!)

Sandy, you have a good point about your sisters' needs vs. your knee surgery. It will limit you so much at the beginning, you must focus on you own recovery, so much depends on you during therapy.
    I hope your sister can stay strong in spirit, it must be so tiring to go thru setbacks.
    Jeri and Irene, we are still thinking of you, and we miss you, take care.

Becky, that pie sounds great to me too, I won't make it this weekend, coz I bought a sugar free pumpkin pie, with a crust, which I try not to eat, but did eat it on the first slice. I like pumpkin pie with light cream cheese, and sometimes sugar free cool whip.

better get to the audiobooks, it takes a long time.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Oh, Sandy...[img][/img]893520ix1a8l03zk.gif
    I've seen the pain following knee surgery, so if you decide on it, go to a rehab home for the following week; it's rough! But afterwards, people walk like kids again! Just allow yourself all the care necessary, and it will be worth it. And lots of luck...we are here for you, dear gal! And have a hoot at the party tonight! Your sister will be needing you later, probably too, so perhaps putting yourself at #1 is necessary for now. No one ever said decisions get easier as life marches on!

Phoebe, my DD gave me a lovely mp3 and tried to initiate me into downloading audiobooks; I failed miserably! I don't even want a Kindle. I just enjoy holding books and turning pages. But that would make me nauseous in a moving vehicle! I guess ipods are a bit of a miracle for you!

Becky, I hang clothes before they dry, as I hate to iron, and the other day, an entire rack of damp clothes separated from the wall and crashed to the utility room floor! DH complained he's getting too old for fixing these things! Oh, today's 77 and raining!

Barbie, I keep seeing posts about you and your frisky poodles, so I knoiw you are keeping up with the good stuff! Is Jake OK?

Well, haven't seen posts from Marie Maddie, Gayla, Chris, Jeri (any news?) Jackie, Judy, Irene(how's she doing?), and our new friend Doug. I'm certain they are further back, but hi everyone. Eventually we'll meet up again.

Buzz
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hello sneakers
    Lovely day today It is so nice not to have to use the A./C Love this cool days and nights,
    alice and i work on the computer today . Working me some desgn for my Mug rugs. I am going to make. I just try one and the stiches was so close together it kept breaking my thread. So we will have to redo them. But they Were cute little flowers. Alice went out and bought us a Salad for lunch. It was real good. I was a big one.We are both doing fine. The Cowboys doing fine.

Just wanted to report in.
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Oh me, oh my. I have a confession to make. The candy in the house has been calling my name and I am so weak!!! I tried to find candy that I don't like but I don't think they make any! The weather is still nice so I am hoping we have lots of kids to get rid of it all.

Happy Halloween to you all. Gayla :heart:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Gayla, wonderful idea to purchase candy that you don't like, even though you like them all. I could just buy Kit Kat and be fine. Unfortunately, my husband has already bought for tonight. And, it is all candy that I love. Plus, we don't get many kids at our house so there will be lots left over.:mad:

:flowerforyou: Marie, please post some pictures of your coasters. I would love to see them.

:flowerforyou: buzz, it is really too bad about the rain. You had perfect temperatures to hang out your clothes. I am finding that it takes a couple of days for my clothes to dry in the basement.:grumble:

:flowerforyou: Phoebe, good thing to have fat free Cool Whip. My problem is that my husband introduced me to the real stuff that I have to whip up. It certainly isn't lite.

I see that I have one new message here but it is not showing up in my mail !!! I guess I will wait a while to see it it appears.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, loved your joke and your accent.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    631497r4sr0ndkd3.gif

Was going to go visit my sister in the hospital but I called and she said no visitors because she has C. diff. which is an infection of the colon and since it is giving her diarrhea she wants no visitors.:cry: They are treating it, so I hope they can clear it up. :cry:
    Options
    I tried to find candy that I don't like but I don't think they make any!
    :

Gayla... ROFLOL at that!! it is so true. we don't get door to door trick or treaters here. They have events etc., so I have no excuse to buy candy..:embarassed: , so I just buy it.. it is so tempting to see all that stuff when you walk into any store.

Becky, yep, the real stuff is the good stuf, Land o Lakes makes a sugar free canned whipped cream, like redi whip.. I saw sugar free and bought it, didn't read the nutrition label, it has a lot of fat in it, but it is absolutely delicious, I could eat it without anything else.. so I only used part of it and threw it out, and I still miss it!!

just saying hello before I shut down the pc. We will leave sometime today, maybe after dinner tonight.

Sandy, I'm so sorry that your sis is going thru such troubles. She must feel awful right now. Do you think your sister would like to get mail from us? I am thinking maybe just postcards from each of us, with a little info or photo of our localities. Let us know what you think.. we don't want to intrude on her.

Well, I'm not sure if all of the kitties are trained on the pet door entrance, but they all know how to get out. If I could be sure they can come in, I will feel good about leaving them tonight. They all seem to want to come in at night, and three like to go out in the morning. Three stay on the bed with 'mama'. This was so funny(to a cat person) when poor dh woke from his recliner 'nap', he decided to go to bed. He was dozing when he jumped and jerked his legs, and yelled 'ouch!!'. Little Dolly was attacking his toes..lol.. she bites thru the covers, and you are glad of that, coz those little teeth can still be felt. He couldn't take it and went back to his recliner. LOL!! After daylight he came back, so I got up, and kitties went with me.

hope you all have a fun and safe and Happy Halloween, love to you all,

p.s. Sandy, that is one ugly mask,
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hello all you Goblins , Happy Holloween

We had our Pot Luck dinner Saturday night in the A Frame building. I carved a pumpkin ( a sailboat)
    and decorated the inside. We invited about 12 people and it was great food and drink. I finished a whole
    bottle of wine. (my bad). No hangover though. :tongue:

We slept on our friends boat and I didn't get much sleep so was dragging most of the day.:yawn: I like my bed.
    We went out for breakfast and then back home. I made some soup and did some ironing and then I
    layed on the sofa the rest of the night. :yawn:

Tonight we are going to order Swiss Chalet chicken and salad so i can get dressed up and hand out candy
    to the little gobblins. :laugh:
  • Jake45
    Jake45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    In honor of the last day of October I thought there should be a history lesson that had nothing to do with Halloween.

The Biblical Origin of The Internet

You might have thought that you knew how the Internet started, but here's the TRUE story (hmmm!) ....

In ancient Israel , it came to pass that a trader by the name of Abraham Com did take unto himself a young wife by the name of Dot.

And Dot Com was a comely woman, broad of shoulder and long of leg.
    Indeed, she was often called Amazon Dot Com.

And she said unto Abraham, her husband: "Why dost thou travel so far from town to town with thy goods when thou canst trade without ever leaving thy tent?"

And Abraham did look at her - as though she were several saddle bags short of a camel load, but simply said: "How, dear?"

And Dot replied: "I will place drums in all the towns and drums in between to send messages saying what you have for sale, and they will reply telling you who hath the best price.

And the sale can be made on the drums and delivery made by Uriah's Pony Stable (UPS)."

Abraham thought long and decided he would let Dot have her way with the drums. And the drums rang out and were an immediate success.
    Abraham sold all the goods he had at the top price, without ever having to move from his tent.

To prevent neighboring countries from overhearing what the drums were saying, Dot devised a system that only she and the drummers knew.

It was called Must Send Drum Over Sound (MSDOS), and she also developed a language to transmit ideas and pictures -Hebrew To The People (HTTP).

But this success did arouse envy. A man named Maccabia did secret himself inside Abraham's drum and began to siphon offsome of Abraham's business. But he was soon discovered, arrested and prosecuted - for insider trading.

And the young men did take to Dot Com's trading as doth the greedy horsefly take to camel dung.

They were called Nomadic Ecclesiastical Rich Dominican Sybarites, or NERDS.

And lo, the land was so feverish with joy at the new riches and the deafening sound of drums that no one noticed that the real riches were going to that enterprising drum dealer, Brother William of Gates, who bought off every drum maker in the land.

And indeed did insist on drums to be made that would work only with Brother Gates' drum heads and drumsticks.

And Dot did say: "Oh, Abraham, what we have started is being taken over by others."

And Abraham looked out over the Bay of Ezekiel , or eBay as it came to be known. He said: "We need a name that reflects what we are."
    And Dot replied: "Young Ambitious Hebrew Owner Operators."

"YAHOO," said Abraham.

And because it was Dot's idea, they named it YAHOO Dot Com.

Abraham's cousin, Joshua, being the young Gregarious Energetic Educated Kid (GEEK) that he was, soon started using Dot's drums to locate things around the countryside.

It soon became known as God's Own Official Guide to Locating Everything (GOOGLE).

And that is how it all began.

Impressed?
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Very Impressed, who knew?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    H E L L O S E N I O R S,
    Sandy that picture is scary and that joke is so funny.

Phoebe, the crustless pumpkin pie only takes minutes to make and I do use the fat free cool whip. It is so worth it for so few calories.

My day today, Slept in until 7am, weighed myself and lost another pound. I feel I have finally got it. I had pumpkin oatmeal,(I am hooked on pumpkin lately). Then we went to meet friends for coffee.

We picked up a few things at the store because I forgot to get somethings and I found some pumpkin coffee creamer. I usually drink my coffee black but I am on a kick now. I know its more calories but again its worth it.

I made a salad for lunch with green tea to drink. I will make coffee with dinner and use my creamer. My son and his two boys are coming for dinner. I plan to make white chicken chili, corn muffins, and apple crisp for dessert.

Now I am going to ride my stationary bike and then sew a little. I am also going to make rice krispie treats for the boys to take home for halloween. I have a large bag of goodies and a $5.00 bill for them. I send all the grandkids $5.00 for halloween

Well the kids are on the way here so happy halloween
    Chris
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    happy morning Sneakers.

It is getting daylight in my neck of the woods.

Becky I will post some aas soon as I get some made. I am sort of slow/ I am not going to Walmart today for I want to stay home and get started on them,