Wendler 5/3/1

Options

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    BR1986FB, have you tried doing this with barbell curls yet? This is my 2nd phase with BB Curls included and it's pretty cool, my bi's are feeling pretty strong. 5/3/1 Arm Curls are not for girls. LOL
  • JNick77
    Options
    So I woke up and my lower back was killing me today and I thought I was going to have a terribad deadlift / clean session today. I ended up having a good session with both lifts and my back felt better afterwards, go figure.

Next week I'm taking a deload, I can feel it's time but I'm going to do some dynamic lifting with 70% of 1RM and see how it goes. After my deadlift and cleans today I didn't feeling up to doing plyo work so I did some dynamic top-half deadlifts and I felt great afterwards. I forgot how much I like dynamic lifting.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    BR1986FB, have you tried doing this with barbell curls yet? This is my 2nd phase with BB Curls included and it's pretty cool, my bi's are feeling pretty strong. 5/3/1 Arm Curls are not for girls. LOL

Have not. I do three descending sets for the barbell curls supersetted with bent rows on back & bi days. I try to get 8 reps each set. If I do, I move up.

Good workout today. I think I'm going to need a spotter on the bench press real soon. I have skipped my last 3 or 4 deloads and continue to move up.
  • JNick77
    Options

Have not. I do three descending sets for the barbell curls supersetted with bent rows on back & bi days. I try to get 8 reps each set. If I do, I move up.

Good workout today. I think I'm going to need a spotter on the bench press real soon. I have skipped my last 3 or 4 deloads and continue to move up.

That's cool, good for you. I'm actually going to take this deload but I think what I'm going to do is just do a Dynamic lifting session with each of the main lifts at the 70% 1RM weight. I wasn't up for much yesterday on my DL day but I ended up doing some Dynamic deadlift sets and I felt great afterwards; I had forgotten how good I feel after that type of lifting.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Nice OHP workout this morning. Weights keep moving up!
  • JNick77
    Options

Good for you. I think I messed up the same tendon I tore last year during my workout yesterday. I am deloading and just wanted to do one set of crossovers and it happened on the 2nd rep. I didn't feel it tear like I did the first time but it's tender today and feels funny when I put pressure on it. Thank god it's a deload week I guess; I'm hoping it is better by Monday.
  • BR1986FB
    Options

Good for you. I think I messed up the same tendon I tore last year during my workout yesterday. I am deloading and just wanted to do one set of crossovers and it happened on the 2nd rep. I didn't feel it tear like I did the first time but it's tender today and feels funny when I put pressure on it. Thank god it's a deload week I guess; I'm hoping it is better by Monday.

By all means, REST if you need to.

I must have slept on my left shoulder funky last night as it hurts like a beeotch. Have back (deads) & biceps to finish out my week of 5's tomorrow.
  • JNick77
    Options

By all means, REST if you need to.

I must have slept on my left shoulder funky last night as it hurts like a beeotch. Have back (deads) & biceps to finish out my week of 5's tomorrow.

I know... resting is hard for me; I'm just not one to sit back and rest which is good and bad depending on the situation. Last night I was trying to figure out just how bad it really is so I tried some push-ups and I was able to do them without pain but felt a little resistance in that spot when I pushed up. It's not torn from what I can tell, push-ups were out of the question when it was torn, so hopefully resting it the rest of this week will be good. I'm going to OD on amino's and hope that it's good by Monday.

Your shoulder has been acting up lately?
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Your shoulder has been acting up lately?

Just from sleeping on it. Back & biceps went off this morning without a hitch. The real test will be benches on Saturday. A few days rest and everything should be OK.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Just about finished with my deload / dynamic lifting week. I'm glad that I decided to do this but add the dynamic lifting to the mix; I feel really good today. I was concerned about my chest tendon and it was feeling better so I tried some body weight dips and I cranked out a solid 25 reps without pain or awkwardness. Tomorrow is upper back and then Sunday is rest so I'm feeling good about starting my next phase on Monday. Thank goodness, can't go backwards now I'm too close.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Today was my first day back after the deload. My tendon seems to be fine and I'm just going to stay away from butterflies and crossover for a while and not strain it. I needed the deload but man do I hate doing it, everything felt heavy today. Oh well, it was worth it I guess. All-in-all my bench felt good with the 5lb increase for each workset but I only got 10 reps on the last set (5/5/5+) compared to 12 the last time around. I did notice that my midpoint to lockout has definitely improved since I started doing Floor Presses again, it was stronger on the way up.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Great OHP workout this morning. Finished up with 20 minutes of Tabata sprints for cardio.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Great OHP workout this morning. Finished up with 20 minutes of Tabata sprints for cardio.

Tabata, nice.

I started Back Squatting again and my back feels pretty good. It's a little sore but the good kind of soreness, although the wait I'm using is embarrassing. LOL.
  • JNick77
    Options
    BS workout today but I expected it as my diet yesterday wasn't exactly on-point. Oh well...
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Nice deadlift workout this morning followed by 20 minutes of Tabata sprints. Saturday starts the final week (5/3/1 rep scheme) before I switch around my assistance exercises.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Nice deadlift workout this morning followed by 20 minutes of Tabata sprints. Saturday starts the final week (5/3/1 rep scheme) before I switch around my assistance exercises.

Sounds cool, what are you changing with your assistance movements?

My Week 1 has been total horse ****, not sure what's going on. Although I do recall from the last time I did 5/3/1 that I always felt weak coming off of a Deload, so unless I'm injured or just falling apart NO MORE DELOADS. I've been following a 5/3/1 thread on BB.Com and it seems to be fairly common a couple guys mention that they don't deload unless it's necessary.

Today was shoulders and I started taking a wider grip after watching some Wendler vids, so I might just be weaker and need to reset the OHP, AGAIN!
  • BR1986FB
    Options

I switch them up every 6 weeks.

Right now, for triceps (for instance), I do dips between benches with about 200-250 lbs in my lap as one tri exercise and tricep pushowns as another. When I change it I'll be going to close grip bench & weighted v-bar dips. Just like to change things up. I do this with every assistance exercise but the main lifts stay static.
  • JNick77
    Options

I switch them up every 6 weeks.

Right now, for triceps (for instance), I do dips between benches with about 200-250 lbs in my lap as one tri exercise and tricep pushowns as another. When I change it I'll be going to close grip bench & weighted v-bar dips. Just like to change things up. I do this with every assistance exercise but the main lifts stay static.

That's cool, I love doing weighted dips. For the last couple chest workouts now I've been doing Floor Presses and I do feel like it's helping me get past the mid-point; I just seem to have more snap at the end of the press.
  • JNick77
    Options
    FINALLY! I had one good workout for the week, bout damn time. I had to combine my DL and Rows today because I missed yesterday. My phase 4 / week 1 DL is up 10lbs from the prior week 1 and I matched my rep total. I had a friggin headache and a half when I finished though and I'm guessing I should've have pushed that last rep. For rows I missed my rep total from the prior week 1 by 1 rep and I'm guessing I was a little gassed from the DL'ing. I was burnt after that but I still did my Kroc Rows and Face Pulls.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Last week of bench press. Got my reps but think I tweaked my bad delt doing an assistance exercise (flat flyes). Dropped weight and it seemed better. Didn't feel it on my last chest exercise (incline DB press).

Trying to figure out where I'm going to get a spotter because with that arch in my bench press stance it's getting hard to unrack the bar for my last set. Squats tomorrow....