Death on a Plate

TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
When I embarked on this new lifestyle change a few months ago, I remember looking up one of my favorite foods.....La Salsa Chicken Nachos. I was HORRIFIED when I saw the content of this ONE dish...what some people use as an appetizer! I have resolved NEVER to eat there again. Not that nachos any other place aren't bad but WOW!

I would get the Chicken Nachos with Black Beans, thinking I was making a better choice....and they included 1574 calories, 84 g of fat (29 saturated), 531 mg of cholesterol, and 2,489 mg of sodium. That is why I call it death on a plate. Even someone who weighs 100 lbs and never gains weight shouldn't put this crud into their body.

What is your former "norm" that is now death on a plate?

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    When I embarked on this new lifestyle change a few months ago, I remember looking up one of my favorite foods.....La Salsa Chicken Nachos. I was HORRIFIED when I saw the content of this ONE dish...what some people use as an appetizer! I have resolved NEVER to eat there again. Not that nachos any other place aren't bad but WOW!

I would get the Chicken Nachos with Black Beans, thinking I was making a better choice....and they included 1574 calories, 84 g of fat (29 saturated), 531 mg of cholesterol, and 2,489 mg of sodium. That is why I call it death on a plate. Even someone who weighs 100 lbs and never gains weight shouldn't put this crud into their body.

• MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member

:noway: WOW!! That's scary!!!
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    :laugh:
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Any of the BIG pasta dishes at any and all of the nice restaurants! This was what I would get...pasta with creamy sauce and bread on the side! Talk about calories and carbs! MAN! Oh well. Now I usually stick to salads with dressing on the side and I dip my fork in the dressing instead of pouring it on. And...voila...satisfaction and no linguring tummy ache after stuffing my face! It's funny how this "life change" is actually paying off!!!:wink:

*Kistinbee*
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    I HEAR YOU SISTER GIRL!
    I had the same kind of eye opener about a year ago today when I found out that my favorite salad.
    Let me say that again SALAD!!! from Applebees the GRILLED CHICKEN Feista, is a WHOPPING 1200 calories. That was my daily total. and it is a SALAD! a GRILLED CHICKEN SALAD! :noway: :explode: :angry:
    Needless to say I am VERY aware of what I can and can not eat in a resturant. I still LOVE that salad but I get a 1/2 size and then before I take I bite I get a to go box and split the meal in 1/2 and put it in the box. and set it aside. Not to mention that I also have to special order it. NO dressing! NO sour cream!
    Oh and if you are thinking you are eating healthy at olive garden with the never ending salad bowl. Order THAT with the dressing on the side. This dressing alone is 200 calories a tabl spoon and they put a 1/2 to a full cup in each bowl.
    --Diann...
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member

Oh and if you are thinking you are eating healthy at olive garden with the never ending salad bowl. Order THAT with the dressing on the side. This dressing alone is 200 calories a tabl spoon and they put a 1/2 to a full cup in each bowl.
    --Diann...

WOW!:noway:
  • AndreaMMil
    AndreaMMil Posts: 165

I would get the Chicken Nachos with Black Beans, thinking I was making a better choice....and they included 1574 calories, 84 g of fat (29 saturated), 531 mg of cholesterol, and 2,489 mg of sodium.

Holy crap!

I don't know that stats but I'm betting my old favorite, Stuffed French Toast at IHOP, is a killer!
  • BigGirlB2008
    BigGirlB2008 Posts: 25 Member
    My mom and I are watching calories. Normally I would eat two packets of ramen noodles for dinner. I didn't think they were that bad. but it turns out its like 190 calories for each HALF a packet! lol. so i was taking in 760 Calories each time lol. I can't even look at ramen anymore rofl.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Sante Fe Burger and fries from Red Robin.

Around 1400 calories for the meal! :noway:

When I saw how many calories it had I said "No wonder I'm fat! " :laugh:
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Almost anything at Jamba Juice, anything but "just coffee" at Starbucks, et al.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Yikes!!!

Mine is death from a straw...
    I found out my favourite chocolate shake at Harvey's (a Canadian burger place) is 830 calories! No wonder I often felt a bit sick after drinking one of those!

This whole process has been an eye opener... today I bought these 5 calorie Jello cups - which I would usually not buy because they are loaded with dyes and additives, but I feel I need these low cal treats to get through this diet! Anyone else having this kind of struggle?
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Almost anything at Jamba Juice, anything but "just coffee" at Starbucks, et al.

Funny little side note, when I was in Tanzania last year I learned some swahili...

Jamba means "fart"!

They thought it was very funny that we had a restaurant called "Fart Juice" :laugh:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Gotta love that fart juice. :laugh:

I know this is a bad one - but it's chocolate cake verses a flour-less torte. Most times the torte will have fewer calories and feel richer.

Brownies are better than cookies as well.

Chocolate covered strawberries only have 35 calories each!

Just to prove my point - PF changs chocolate layer cake has over 2,000 calories, the flourless cake = 570.
  • jokerrn
    jokerrn Posts: 51
    Oh, man...Honey Chipotle Chicken Crispers from Chili's...I was eating them 2 to 3 times per week.

One day I am reading Men's Health and there was an article on the 20 worst foods in America...and there they were at number 4! Not just chicken strips, but specifically Honey Chipotle Chicken Crispers from Chili's! :noway:

1890 Calories, 99g fat (:sick: ), 19g sat fat, 3470mg sodium, 203g carbs, 70g protein.

That is more than my daily intake of any of those categories now. Shocking.

But they are so good...
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    I am soooo glad we don't have anywhere decent to go out to it living in the Isle of Man is boring and it can be a real drag no really nice restaurants no bowling alley no ice skating no skating rink just wet and windy weather. Don't get me wrong we have places to eat but they aren't that good so avoiding them when on a diet isn't that hard, small mercy's. I will have to make sure that I am a few pounds under my goal weight before we take our vacation next year Florida and applebees is just round the corner from our villa we went last year and had to get a takeaway it was toooo busy to eat in I was shocked at how large the salads were I envy you all having such nice places on your doorstep and having to avoid going out to eat or choosing healthy options. I was stunned at the size of the tubs of ice cream in Publix it wasn't a tub it was a bucket in fact the bucket I was my car with is smaller. If I lived in the US I would be huge I love reeses and marshmallow topping not to mention cinnemon rolls I don't think I would have the willpower to avoid if I lived there I can't believe how much I eat when on vacation 1 good thing we have our own pool and going for a swim in the morning is gr8 exercise plus walking round disney and the gr8 malls you guys have burns a few calories but I am taking note of what really should be avoided.

Any places that you could recommend with lots of enjoyable healthy options I think subway is meant to be good?
  • burnett50
    burnett50 Posts: 46
    I'm with you Vicky, I live in Cornwall and apart from Cornish Pasties on every corner there is very little in the way of tempting restuarants. The food in America sounds amazing! I went to New York about ten years ago and couldnt believe the size of the portions everyone serves. Just as well I live in England or I would be the size of a small house!! :noway:
  • wiesk1
    wiesk1 Posts: 26
    ha! i totally know what you two about are talking about!! I was born and raised in America, specifically Iowa, and Ive been studying in Wales. Since ive been here ive noticed a lot in the differences in portion sizes in restaurants!! And plus, going to school here we don't have a meal plan or cafeteria like I did back home, so Im having to make my own food. Which is different, but way better in the long run, Im learning how to make healthy decisions and how to actually cook food instead of put some pre-made meal in the microwave. I love the way of life over here it's great! Plus, no car, have to walk EVERYWHERE, which is a huge plus for me and trying to lose weight :) But my favorite go to meal was at Applebees, where I used to work. I loooved their oriental chicken salad, but it's smothered in dressing! Can't be that great for you when it's covered like that....haha!
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183

--Diann...

I am not sure where you got the 200 calories for a tbsp of Olive Garden dressing. I bought some (they sell their dressing) and it's 80 calories for 2 tbsp.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    My lunch fav was always taco bell: one enchirito, one chicken soft taco, one fiesto potatoes. Yummy. I didn't look up the totals for everything, but the enchirito alone is almost 400 calories, and the fat from the soft taco shells is outrageous.

For my daughter, I used to let her get the big shakes or cappacino drinks or moolattes. Not anymore, they have like 1000 calories each. She can sometimes have a small one, but we rarely eat in restaurants anymore.
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Oh goodness... I have no idea what the nutritional content in some of my favorite meals may be, but I'm sure it's horrifying.

Considering that I spent 10 years in the restaurant business working at places such as Claim Jumper, Bahama Breeze, and even Red Robin when I was fresh out of high school.

If you're talking portion sizes... Claim Jumper probably takes the cake there. I LOVE their County Fried Steak... complete with gravy, biscuits, and honey butter. Yummy.