Thoughts on Weighing Everyday?

Options
13»

Replies

• shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    I weigh daily too. It's not just a reminder of what I'm trying to accomplish, it gives me feedback in one area I was not expecting. I've noticed a pretty strong pattern that my weight goes up quickly when I drink less water. I try to hit 8-10 cups a day minimum. On days when I drink less I notice that my weight goes up and fluctuates wildly the next day or two. As soon as I get my drinking back up and maintain it, my weight stabilizes and is consistent.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Also daily...morning AND night. I like to see the fluctuations and try to attribute them to what I did that might have effected the gains or losses, but I don't let it make or break my whole day (I know this is a marathon, not a sprint) Looking every day keeps me honest with myself. I also measure weekly to see if I've had any changes that don't show on the scale.

Last time I stopped watching the scale was when I let my weight get out of control and was in total denial about what was happening, so I won't allow that to happen again.
  • withoutaname
    withoutaname Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm rather surprised to see so many people weigh daily, when all the advice I normally read strictly say weekly.

I also weigh myself daily, I really like to remind myself at the start of the day what I'm trying to achieve, and also I like the surprise to see if I've lost anything!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because I think it gives me a little reminder every morning of what I'm doing, it helps to keep me on track. But I think you have to be careful not to get bothered by the little gains that will happen :)

I agree with this completely...it keeps me in check. BUT...you can't get discouraged if you stay the same...at least you aren't gaining.

Completely agree......I weigh daily - I know my body and how it works after a little over a year of doing this. It doesn't bother me none if I go up alittle. you get to know your patterns.
  • cpldjski
    cpldjski Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily as well, but I offiically record my weight once a week. I find that it is much better for me to do it everyday rather than just once a week. It has taken a long time to get over the beating myself up when the scale might go up a little bit the next day, but I am much better about it. I think you have to go with what you feel comfortable with. Some people never use a scale, and then there are those like me who do it everyday.

Good luck.
  • annanoel21
    annanoel21 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How many weigh daily? Weekly? More/less often? I used to weigh myself daily when I first started (lost 38 lbs so far, 25 to go) but I have taken a "break" from the diet these last few months (maintained/gained 7 back, ready to lose it again!) Trying to decide how often I should weigh myself. Thoughts???

I weigh daily. Most of the time multiple times a day. I weigh when I get up, after I workout, and before I go to bed. I know most people say you are not suppose to weigh but once a week. I just like to see what kind of progress I have made. Just know if you do weigh daily - dont be upset by the little gains.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. Sometimes several times a day. But I don't stress about the 1-2 lbs up or down. If you are going to get bent out of shape every time the scale goes up 1 lb for no reason, then don't weigh daily.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    How many weigh daily? Weekly? More/less often? I used to weigh myself daily when I first started (lost 38 lbs so far, 25 to go) but I have taken a "break" from the diet these last few months (maintained/gained 7 back, ready to lose it again!) Trying to decide how often I should weigh myself. Thoughts???

Why would you take a break? Especially then putting back 7lbs?
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every now and then, probably once a week or every 2 weeks. I'm more concerned about seeing the difference in my body. :)
  • sarahjeangirl
    sarahjeangirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I try to stick with weighing weekly. I find that if I do it more than that, I get very fixated on the number and it affects my behavior too much (restricting too much, etc.). If you can weigh every day and not go insane AND keep in mind that your weight will naturally fluctuate on a daily basis, then go ahead. But try not to put too much "weight" on that number, and if it starts to get too obsessive, back down a bit!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only record a loss if it's consistent for 3 days in a row.
  • tulip07
    tulip07 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Am also on the 17 day diet, lost 14 lbs so far on it. I will add you as a friend. I do weigh in daily to see the trend but only record once a week or so.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    I weigh daily. It keeps me on track and motivated. Weighing once a week does not work for me. You start to be mindful of your body's trends and fluctuations.
  • peripah
    peripah Posts: 120
    Options
    I only weigh myself every week or every couple weeks or so. Not for any reason other than that's about how often that it occurs to me.
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I weight in, and track my weight daily. It's been a very cool science experiment to see my weight go down over time, but to also correlate my weight increases to the things I ate the day before, or to hormonal fluctuations. The big thing is to look at the overall trend, and to avoid punishing yourself for water weight increases.
  • Maridelsol82
    Options
    i weigh myself a few times a week but friday mornings are my "official" weigh ins (the ones i record on myfitnesspal)

Ditto :)
  • aolani
    aolani Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It would probably drive me bonkers weighing everyday. My official day is Tuesday so once a week it is for me.