Eggs the ultimate superfood?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    bcattoes you are troll, albeit a well meaning unintentioned troll, but still a troll.

Geez!! Why did you send me a personal message if you were going to get all bent out of shape about my reply and troll the boards calling me names after. I told you before hand that one or two studies wouldn't change my mind.

I didn't name call, I stated fact. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    bcattoes you are troll, albeit a well meaning unintentioned troll, but still a troll.

Geez!! Why did you send me a personal message if you were going to get all bent out of shape about my reply and troll the boards calling me names after. I told you before hand that one or two studies wouldn't change my mind.

I didn't name call I stated fact. :)

Do you have a study to support this alleged "fact"?
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I like eggs. put a little franks red hot on there and boom. I eat 4 or 5 in one meal.
  • ivy2009
    Options
    eggs are great. You can cook them so many ways and enjoy them and not add calories. And they are high in protein and filling.

Toast 100% whole wheat Thomas English muffin. Top with eggs overy easy or scambled. Top that the eggs with a couple of Ts of salsa. You can also cut a slice of low fat cheese in half and put it under the eggs.

Often I make scrambled eggs or an omelette. I might use one or two whole eggs and one or two egg whites only and pitch the extra yolks to get rid of higher calories and cholesterol. Add chopped onion, tomato, salsa, turkey, etc.

Great source of protein and nutrition
  • crazygirl78
    Options
    My mother keeps telling me to eat more eggs b/c I don't eat much meat. Can eggs be considered a meat substitute?
    [Thanks for all the answers, guys! Guess I misunderstood the purpose of this site./quote]
  • ONE03
    ONE03 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at most 1 whole egg a day or not daily. Otherwise, I'm over my fat and cholesterol intake. :blushing: Eggs are tasty and very easy to cook though.

I'm currently taking 2 nutrition classes. So don't really know any better. I'm hoping to become more educated on these matters.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My mother keeps telling me to eat more eggs b/c I don't eat much meat. Can eggs be considered a meat substitute?

Yes, eggs can be a meat substitute. Cheese, nuts and beans are also considered meat substitutes.
  • zweven
    zweven Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Since joining MFP, I've learned that I must eat non-sweet protein high breakfasts or I'll have a slump in energy. So eggs are usually the answer and are great because they're so versatile (omelets, scrambled, etc).

This is my current breakfast (last few days):
    2 slices OM low sodium bacon, fried and pan drained (for flavor)
    1 (whole) egg fried
    1 slice Kraft 2% american cheese
    1 Thomas's Light Multi Grain English Muffin
    Assembled into a sandwich (your original post made me want to share this with you).
    Calories: 285, Protein: 19, Fiber: 8 (english muffin), Fat 15 (egg and bacon equals), Carbs: 28 (english muffin 25), Sodium: 685 (cheese biggest culprit).

Using Thomas's Bagel Thins are a calorie cutter too.

As for superfoods, I've been doing some reading about honey. Still on the fence about it, but I won't use "fake" sweeteners, so honey is looking pretty good to me right now. Has more calories, but comes with health benefits it seems.

Thanks for the education on eggs everyone!!! I'm now content eating whole : )
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    stupid puter
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    This isn't actually true. All the nutrition in an egg is in the yolk. The whites are pretty much empty, just a few amino acids. The yolk contains the rest of the proteins, plus all the vitamins and minerals.

And all of the flavor! The yolks are the best part, it always makes me sad to know people toss the yolks. :cry:

Me, too! Wish they would toss the yolks my way. :)

as far as the yolk and such i look at it this way

what is an egg, what is the purpose of an egg.
    to grow baby chickens.
    now what inside that egg , is nourshing that baby chicken.

and now i have to go force feed a yellow cat
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Eggs are the best thing next to sliced bread.

Hard boil them.
    Scramble them.
    Make an omelete.
    Make "mini quiches"
    Egg salad sandwich
    Fried egg and cheese breakfast sandwich.

There is just a lot of ways to eat them and they come in very handy when you are short on time. I love them :heart:
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Eggs and of course pb...not together of course.....maybe..haha...hmmmmm that's an interesting idea..lol :laugh:
  • makes1
    makes1 Posts: 26
    Options
    I could eat Tuna EVERY DAY. but they only recommend eating it twice a week because of mercury ... Wish someone would do better study on it
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    Eggs and of course pb...not together of course.....maybe..haha...hmmmmm that's an interesting idea..lol :laugh:

hmm peanut butter souffle
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I could eat Tuna EVERY DAY. but they only recommend eating it twice a week because of mercury ... Wish someone would do better study on it

Excerpt from: http://chriskresser.com/is-eating-fish-safe-a-lot-safer-than-not-eating-fish
    Although people are increasingly concerned about the effects of mercury levels in fish, recent evidence suggests that the trace amounts of mercury in the fish Americans eat aren’t high enough to pose a health risk.

But measuring only mercury significantly exaggerates this risk, because it ignores the important role of selenium.

Selenium is plentiful in many ocean fish species, but the public is unaware of its protective role against mercury. Selenium has high binding affinity for mercury. This means that when the two elements are found together, they connect, forming a new substance.

This new substance makes it hard for the body to absorb the mercury separately. Simply put, when selenium binds to mercury, mercury is not longer free to bind to anything else – like brain tissue.

Studies have shown that relevant amounts of selenium (Se) can prevent oxidative brain damage and other adverse effects associated with mercury toxicity. (PDF)

University of North Dakota researcher Richard Ralston has published several papers on the protective effects of selenium. He describes the relationship between selenium and mercury as follows:

"Think of dietary selenium as if it were your income and dietary mercury as if it were a bill that you need to pay. Just as we all need a certain amount of money to cover living expenses such as food and rent, we all need a certain amount of selenium."

And guess what foods are highest in selenium? You’re right! 16 of the 25 best sources of dietary selenium are ocean fish.

I buy Wild Planet tuna (via Amazon.com). Definitely more expensive than a lot of brands, but supposedly the highest in omega-3 and lowest in mercury: http://www.wildplanetfoods.com/Highest-Omega-3-and-Low-Mercury.html