Nook, Kindle? Or Other

Options
I would like to get an e-reader. If you have one, which one do you have? What are the pros and Cons of the one you have?
Thanks!!!

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    dont have one yet but i am getting the Kindle fire for bithday/christma
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I have a Sony eReader and I LOVE it. It's not the wireless one, I have to plug it into my PC and download my books but it's really easy to use and the battery lasts forever. I don't think I can get magazines on this particular model.

I got my daughter a Kindle for Christmas and she can download magazines on it. They both seem pretty easy to use.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Can't say much on the pros and cons. But all I can say is that I LOVE MY KINDLE! :happy:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I love my IPAD2. Pro is I can use it for more then just an e-reader.

Con is I constantly spend money on ebooks!
  • MladyAlanna
    MladyAlanna Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We have one of the older Amazon Kindles and love it. Really the only disadvantage is the no light at night thing.,.you need a light source for night reading. We are considering getting one of the new Kindle touch ones and giving our daughter (11) the old one...we are major readers.
  • I have a kindle and I LOVE it..

I love the fact that I can also download the app for my ipad- pc. the kindle app for ipad is amazing specially for cooking books or stuff where you want to have the pictures coloured.

the kindle in it self is great to take with you when you are traveling - or getting to/from work- you can read outside with the sun on its brightest. it is also very very light.. The battery life is amazing :)
  • LindsayInNYC
    Options
    I have a Kindle and LOVE it!!!
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Bought my wife a Nook and she loves it.....when it works. It will lock up and can't be reset. We are on our third replacement now. The customer service has been good, but annoying to be without while we ship it back and get a replacement. I would recommend the Kindle or Sony.
  • genthel
    genthel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a kindle and love it. The kindle fire is coming out soon and I will upgrade...it is in color and will have interent capabilities to do things like MFP, facebook etc.
  • TheLeapist
    Options
    The Kindle Fire looks absolutely amazing. I'd say go with that. If you want something a little cheaper then go with the new kindle touch. The touch controls with the e-ink blow your mind. Haha. It's like touching a book and having it react.
  • carrie145
    Options
    I really LOVE my Kindle. I like the no glare screen, and the fact that I can download straight to it..
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the Kindle app for my smart phone. I really love it! A little small sometimes on my phone, esp when my eyes are tired at night. But I like the Amazon market for Kindle and it's easy to download and sort, etc.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    After research I bought the new touch screen Nook. No keyboard so it's small and light. Page turns can be done with buttons on both sides of the screen or by swiping the screen. All other functions are done by touching the screen, including a keyboard if you need to type something. At the time, the new touch screen Kindle wasn't out yet, so I didn't have that one to compare to at the time.
    One extra bonus with the Nook is if you actually hang out at Barnes and Noble stores you can read any book for an hour a day on your Nook. I don't take advantage of that, but if you're a book store / coffee shop person, that can be a big deal I guess.
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've got the regular B&W Nook and I love it!

It doesn't use proprietary software, like the Kindle, so you can check books out of your local library in EPUB format, and you don't have to use software to change its like you do with a Kindle.

And the battery life is stellar!
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    If you are really into reading, you need a dedicated e-reader. An iPad or Kindle Fire or Nook won't work, because the battery life is awful. I have a third generation Kindle and the battery lasts for a month easily. And now they're super cheap. You can always find books for free.

The con is that you do need a light for the Kindle, but those are $5.00 Problem solved.

If you're looking for something that's going to surf the web, and you want to watch movies with it, get a tablet.

EDIT: I forgot that the Nook has exceptional battery life too! That is all.
  • kdm97
    kdm97 Posts: 111
    Options
    I have a kindle and I absolutely love it. , but if you are going to want to read magazines on your e-reader as well then you may want to get the Nook or another type of e-reader that comes in color.
  • VBos
    VBos Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    NOOK!!! I have the nook color and it's awesome!! and you can pick up wireless internet and use the web.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle 4 , the new small one for $80. I love the thing.

Which e-reader you get depends on what you want.

If you just want to read books on it, then the Kindle 4 is the best one and the cheapest.

If you want to surf the web and have something that's a cross between an ereader and a tablet then the Kindle Fire or Nook color are the ones to look at.

There are all sorts of models in between with a mix of a 3G connection, touch screen....ect.

I personally like the Kindles better because for the most part they are less espensive and do most if not all of what a Nook can do.

One advantage for Nooks is you can buy books from any ebook store. The Kindle is centered around the Amazon store, but you can easily side load books in mobi format (sold by some other stores) or you can download Calibre and convert files to mobi and then side load them.
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I love my Kindle 3G WiFi!! I take a train to work so it's perfect. I don't have to hook it up to a computer, I can download books right there on the train. And I even have a Kindle app on my Droid so I can look for books there and send it to my Kindle. And they just started a Kindle lending library.
    I actually want to get the Kindle Fire next.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I have a kindle and I absolutely love it. , but if you are going to want to read magazines on your e-reader as well then you may want to get the Nook or another type of e-reader that comes in color.

Yes, but the Kindle Fire will be color and comes out soon cheaper than the Nook color.