FIT LIFE CHALLENGE - REVAMPED (CLOSED) Week 8

Options

Replies

• corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    So never made it to the gym- the day slipped away before I had to leave for work. But the fiance are going for a walk now that we just had an awesome- AND FILLING MIGHT I SAY- Sofrito Chicken Stew. I know this isn't the food forum, but the recipe is so easy that I was hoping to 'motivate' you all to try it out. I made a few changes- I used chicken breasts instead of thighs, added a tbsp of capers, and two bay leaves. Also, I made the sofrito, stuck it in the crockpot, browned the chicken and then put that in the crockpot. Set it on high for 5 hours.

Boardwalk Empire is amazing as well. I didn't think I would enjoy it, but my fiance and a few of his friends are actors and they have all auditioned for it. I guess I had to be supportive and got sucked in in the meantime.
    You girls need to get on Dexter-so much juicy drama its awesome!

Sofrito Chicken Stew
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1 thigh • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 129.1 • Fat: 4.7 g • Protein: 14.6 g • Carb: 5.9 g • Fiber: 1.2 g • Sugar: 0.7 g Sodium: 675.4 mg

Ingredients:

For Sofrito:
    1 tbsp olive oil
    6 scallions, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
    2 tomatoes, diced
    1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp salt
    1 packet sazón or 1 tsp annatto seed powder
    For Stew:
    8 pieces chicken legs and/or thighs on the bone, skin removed
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    6 oz light beer
    1 cup water
    salt to taste
    1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (or to taste)

Directions:
    Heat oil in a deep saute pan. Add scallions and garlic, sauté 2 minutes, add tomatoes and peppers. Season with salt, cumin, and sazón or annatto. Set aside.
    Season chicken with salt and garlic powder; add to center of the pan allowing chicken to brown slightly on both sides. Combine chicken with sofrito, and add beer, water and cilantro, adjust salt if needed. Cover pan and simmer on low until chicken is cooked through, about 20-30 minutes. Serve over rice.
  • deb_sully
    Options
    Can we all give Julie a great thumbs up for starting us on this jouney? :drinker: Thanks, Julie. I am looking forward to more. It sounds great. And now I'm off to drink more water! :noway:

Let's do this!!
  • monet13
    monet13 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    3 more cups of water to go! Also, will be hopping on the eliptical in the next hour :) I'm trying for six days a week of exercise. My hubby's birthday on Friday and a open bar/buffet benefit on Saturday is gonna make the weekend hard!! :bigsmile: Maybe I'll bring my water bottle and just keep it full to avoid the alcohol and food - any other ideas? Have a good week everyone:flowerforyou:
  • kckramp
    kckramp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have been fighting a cold all weekend. slept most of Saturday and Sunday. I did manage to walk yesterday and today. I also did wii active today. Water is a problem. I had gotten better over the summer but it is hard to drink in the classroom. I will keep working on it.
  • mdorman8313
    mdorman8313 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Judy, from what I understand, the 30DS is just 20 minutes, plus 10 minutes warm up and cool down. Any confirmations on this?
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    OK I made it to my running class! I took the dog our for a quick mile before I left. It was FREEZING!!!!!!! windy!! Once we got going it was OK. We ran 15 mins walked 1 min then ran 7 mins. We had a walking warm up and cool down. I came home had a yummy grill chez and tomato red pepper soup....I still have 700 calories!!!! I also have about 3 more glasses of water to slurp down:sad: Oh well I will get it done! But I don't think I will eat 700 calories....:smile:

You are all doing so great!!!! Corinne ~ Thanks for the recipe I will be giving that a try soon!! KC - Feel better don't push it we don't want a relapse!

Opera ~ I have a cousin who has property in Colorado...they spend the summer there then go back to AZ.

Daniran ~ Welcome...please get you current weight turned in and how much you would like to lose by New Years. Debbie ~ Welcome good to see you back!

Stephanie ~ Great job exercising on vacation! I love ZUMBA!!!! Have fun and burn those calories!!!

I am going to hit the showers!!! Then the couch....Biggest Loser or Dexter???? hummmm

Have a Good night ~ Sleep good!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • PositivePower
    Options
    So never made it to the gym- the day slipped away before I had to leave for work. But the fiance are going for a walk now that we just had an awesome- AND FILLING MIGHT I SAY- Sofrito Chicken Stew. I know this isn't the food forum, but the recipe is so easy that I was hoping to 'motivate' you all to try it out. I made a few changes- I used chicken breasts instead of thighs, added a tbsp of capers, and two bay leaves. Also, I made the sofrito, stuck it in the crockpot, browned the chicken and then put that in the crockpot. Set it on high for 5 hours.

Boardwalk Empire is amazing as well. I didn't think I would enjoy it, but my fiance and a few of his friends are actors and they have all auditioned for it. I guess I had to be supportive and got sucked in in the meantime.

Sofrito Chicken Stew
    Calories: 129.1 • Fat: 4.7 g • Protein: 14.6 g • Carb: 5.9 g • Fiber: 1.2 g • Sugar: 0.7 g Sodium: 675.4 mg

Ingredients:

For Sofrito:
    1 tbsp olive oil
    6 scallions, chopped
    2 tomatoes, diced
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp salt
    For Stew:
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    6 oz light beer
    1 cup water
    salt to taste

Directions:
    Heat oil in a deep saute pan. Add scallions and garlic, sauté 2 minutes, add tomatoes and peppers. Season with salt, cumin, and sazón or annatto. Set aside.
    Season chicken with salt and garlic powder; add to center of the pan allowing chicken to brown slightly on both sides. Combine chicken with sofrito, and add beer, water and cilantro, adjust salt if needed. Cover pan and simmer on low until chicken is cooked through, about 20-30 minutes. Serve over rice.

Corinne ~ what is this??? 1 packet sazón or 1 tsp annatto seed powder
    I haven't heard of it...is it easy to find??? We have everything else on hand to make this :)
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Judy, from what I understand, the 30DS is just 20 minutes, plus 10 minutes warm up and cool down. Any confirmations on this?

The 30 Day Shred consists of a 20 minute circuit training work out. Jillian breaks it up into 3 circuits consisting of 3 mins Strength, 2 mins Cardio, 1 min Abs. The warm up and cool-down combined are really short actually, each only lasting about 2.5 minutes. Obviously with adding in the transition of moves it adds a few extra minutes (ie: getting up off the floor after push ups or ab work) so each Level only takes about 30 minutes.

I've been reading that a lot of people combine the 30DS with some sort of additional cardio activity to increase weight loss...but I'm fortunate when I can stick to a daily routine of 30-min workouts. :blushing:

I finished my first day of Level 2 today! I'm really starting to feel it in my back and arms at this point. It's a great workout but I'm not seeing a lot of movement from the scale, hoping to see a drastic change in inches though!

I hope everyone had a great Monday! It's 12:17am here and I'm only 7 pages into my 15-20 pg research paper. Luckily I've got tomorrow to work on it as well, but I'm gonna push myself to stay up for another hour at least!

Gute nacht!
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    hi guys!

wow you all sound so excited! :)

i have been for a swim this morning and have logged my food for the day - just got to stick to it! my downfall is snacking especially at night when i am on my own!

today is a new day again and i will do it - with all your help any way!

My goals:

2008: 219.8lb's - my heaviest!
    September 2001: 198.4 lb's
    Today: 187.9 lb's

January 2012: 182
    March: 172
    July: 160
    september: 150 - my sons 2nd birthday!

however all this might go down the pan if i fall preggers in april! we will be trying. :D

good luck!

claire. xxx
  • BGent
    BGent Posts: 112
    Options
    Good morning everyone! :happy:

For Monday, I logged my food, met my water goal and worked out. Tuesday is going good, just finished my 3rd day of level 1 and feel a little sad that only burned 308 calories. I am hoping that means my body is getting stronger. :ohwell:

Opera_Bound- I know what you mean about getting in the 30 min. workout! I just fit it in before I need to take my husband to work (we have one car) so by the time I get back home I need to jump in the shower and get myself to work.

Hope everyone has a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • corinneselene
    Options

Sofrito Chicken Stew

Ingredients:

For Sofrito:
    1 tbsp olive oil
    6 scallions, chopped
    2 tomatoes, diced
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp salt
    For Stew:
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    6 oz light beer
    1 cup water
    salt to taste

Directions:

Corinne ~ what is this??? 1 packet sazón or 1 tsp annatto seed powder
    I haven't heard of it...is it easy to find??? We have everything else on hand to make this :)

Positive Power: Sazon is a seasoning packet by GOYA. You will generally find it in the International Food Isle at your supermarket. It is absolutely amazing.

/Users/corinnecricco/Desktop/DownloadedFile.jpeg
  • corinneselene
    Options
    Can someone please explain how to post a picture within a reply??
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!

Everyone is doing a great job. Those of you who haven't been meeting your goals still seem to have a great attitude that will pull you through the small set back. Keep up the good work!

corinne: I love that you posted a recipe. Sorry, I don't know how to post photos.

If anyone has any great non-soy based, vegetarian recipes they want to post, I am all over it!

I also just wanted to add that I am grateful for the water challenge this week. Hopefully, it will keep those cold symptoms at bay. My throat is a little more sore today than yesterday and my sinuses are a little more clogged, but at least, I am going to stay hydrated!!
  • lorika1977
    lorika1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody, I am so excited to see people logging in and giving their feedback! Did pretty good yesterday, got 6 glasses of water but I also drank a total of 64 oz of unsweetened herbal tea. There is so much liquid I can put in before I move in the bathroom :tongue:

Today I went swimming for an hour and I got sucked in a new challenge. My gym organizes indoor triathlons during the winter to keep people in shape, especially those crazy athletes that race all the time. This winter there will be 3 triathlons - December, January and February. Few ladies in my swimming team are doing indoor triathlons .... all three of them!!!! Apparently is a lot more laid back than a regular sprint triathlon ... but still. So, it sounds like I will have my first race in a month! I am crazy!!!

More and more people are telling me that I look good and have toned up a lot, which is the kind of talk that I love hearing! I think that swimming really made a difference but also the running that I did before I started swimming. Oh, it's all good - just want to get to that weight goal.

Corrinne - thanks for the recipe. I will definately give it a try. I love trying new foods, ethnic foods especially. I ate pretty much anything in the book (less worms and bugs) so always opened for new tries. If you find out how to upload a picture to the thread, please share the info. I just have the feeling that MPF unfortunately is not as advanced .... I guess they don't want to compete with Facebook :)

Snarky - one of my absolute favorite vegetarian recipes is the Morrocan Lentil Soup.

1 tbsp cumin seeds
    1 tbsp coriander seeds
    1 tbsp mustard seeds

The spices are heated in olive oil. This is a trick I learned from my indian friend if you want to get that "oriental" taste. You can add some turmeric too or masala.

Then add onion, garlic and ginger (fresh or powder). Let is cook for 5 minute.
    Add carrots and celery - let it cook for 5 minutes
    Add 1 cup of uncooked lentil and 2 cans of other beans of your choice. I always make sure to have garbanzo. Add water for a "soupy" consistency. Let it cook for about 30 min or until the lentils are starting to "flake".

Finish off with salt, pepper, more cumin if you want, 1/2 cup lime juice and some parsley.

Tip - to cook it faster, I soak the lentils from the night before.

As you can see I did not put exact quantities for onion, garlic, carrot or celery. It depends on how much you like each ingredient so you can put more or less. I usually put about 1 medium onion, 2-3 cloves of garlic, 2 carrots and 1 celery stick. I cook in a 5 quart pot.

The same base can be used of other oriental type vegetarian foods - I start the same, just put caulliflower instead of lentils and beans and less water. I eat that along steamed brown rice. Da-licios!

Hope you all have a good day today!

And, if you didn't read my affirmation for the day yet: I see the world through eyes of love!

Peace!

L
  • lorika1977
    lorika1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot what was more important:

Welcome to our new members: deb_sully (Debbie) and Darian!! Feel free to post here your current weight and goal weight at the end of the year or you can send me a message.

Ok, back to work now :)
  • mdorman8313
    mdorman8313 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Today is dreary here in Oklahoma, and I LIKE it! I LOVE days like this! Currently, I'm about to finish up 52 oz. of water...and it's not quite noon yet! YEAH! I've logged everything I've eaten so far, logged my planned lunch and dinner (except for the "side" to go with my mom's soup tonight), and even my cough drop that I had earlier! (I've GOT to get some SF cough drops; 15 calories in ONE drop that I just had!) As long as everything goes smooth at work and I get off in time, I'm going to the gym tonight. I'm still battling the onset of bronchitis, so I'm not going to do anything too tough, but I do want to get a workout in.

Oh, thought I'd share this with y'all. I had about 150 calories left last night after supper, so for an evening snack I made this quick fruit smoothie...for 73 calories!

1/2 C Dole peaches, strawberries and bananas, frozen
    1/2 C Genesis Today Omega Orange Juice (found this at Wal-Mart by accident...200% of Daily Vitamin C, among other great things. You should check it out!
    2 Tbs Original Greek Yogurt

I just put it all in my little Ninja pitcher and blended it right up. So good and tasty!!

Hope everyone has a Terrific Tuesday!
  • snowflakes
    snowflakes Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Today is a great day!

Water doing great
    Calories I'm right on target
    Exercise got a good brisk three mile walk in.

When I exercise I have an easy time drinking plenty of water.

merlk: The smoothie sounds tasty and easy to make.

snarky; I have the same symptoms, maybe we shared cyber germs. hee hee

Getting away with hubby for a few days. I seem to always retain water when I travel. Plan to track water and calories carefully.
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Having a FAT day today. Tried a T-shirt on last week that I havn't worn in a while
    and it was loose, I was thrilled. Put the same T-shirt on this morn and its clinging to my lumps
    and bumps. Normally I get down in the dumps but I dont feel that way now just more
    motavited....How's that.
    Logging all my food and 2 glasses of water to go..
    Good luck everyone.....
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon friends! I'm glad to see that everyone is having a great day! I finished Day 2, Level 2 of the 30 Day Shred today. Boy is my body feeling it today! I'm just proud of myself for simply waking up early enough to actually get in a workout before the craziness of my day gets the best of me.

I'm finishing up lunch and have already had my 8 glasses of water for the day. I am however about to enjoy a coffee so I can get crackin' on this paper. It will be finished (at least the rough draft) tonight!

I'm planning to make a really big salad and veggies for dinner tonight to try and balance out my craziness yesterday.

Keep at it everyone. Remember you're worth it! :drinker:
  • PositivePower
    Options
    HELLO :wink: Well I have tried something new today!!! I worked and started dinner (crockpot) before logging in here!!! Oh I still have lots of work to do...but here I get sucked in...I am setting a timer for myself and have reset it 3 times!!!!!!!!!!! So I have about 5 mins left :frown:

Barbara ~ Great job!!! You are on track....you will see some results, just stick with it!!!!!

Corinne ~ I went to the store and couldn't find the Sazon :frown: I am going to check Trader Joes...then another store!!! I will not give up till I find it!!! For pics - You can look on the boards under tech help....I saw it last week since I wanted to post and share my daughter's scarey zombie make up job. Sorry it was over my head. I have a friend that explained it too..maybe some how I can send you her explaination. I think you need a photo bucket account....if we all work together maybe we can figure it out:happy:

Elizabeth ~ Bottoms up! I am liking the water challenge too I was way off track. Don't let that bug get you!!!!!!

Merlanda ! You are cracking me up!!! When I am really on track I count EVERYTHING too. Please don't make yourself nuts over it :wink: I just noticed that my calcium chews and gummy vitamins have calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good job on the exercise

Clarie ~ You'll be OK!! Maybe find some 100 calorie popcorn or some veggies for snacking...with those things you get alot for you money....or calories:laugh:

Snowflakes ~ Have a Great time!!!!!! Try to be good....But have some fun too :smile:

Some of you have had some good weight loss already. YIPPEE!!! I have lost about 16# since July. I want to share a story that might hit home for some of you. I lost 25# over a year ago...everyone was telling me how good I looked....I stayed at the weight for about 3 months...then slowly the scale numbers started to go up about 10#.....stayed there for a minute then creep, creep, creep until I gained it all. I was down to 1 pair of pants that fit me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was depressed and beating myself up everyday. (Thank goodness the pants that fit were black!!) I wore them everyday....I finally lost alittle to the point I had two pairs...sometimes I would wear a long shirt that would work...but I wasn't about to buy new clothes in a bigger size!!!!!!!

TODAY!!!!!!! I thought I would go in the closet it see what I could through together for a meeting I have tomorrow. EVERYTHNG is fitting again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love: I have soooo many choices!!! It has inspired me to keep going and soon I might even go buy something new...only if it is a smaller size :wink:

It has taken lots of work...exercise and MFP. It doesn't happen over night. So if you are struggling...please hang in there and just make those good choices. I promise you will have success!!!!! Please be sure to share your Non Scale Victories - NSV. Like Loredana ~ You GO GIRL!!!! It's so nice to hear those compliments!!!

Hugs to all of you....I am really sorry I tend to ramble!!!!! (might timer went off about 10 mins ago.)

:heart: :heart: :heart: