stayman, winesap, pink ladies
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    No favorite really. I like them all.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Now ... fuji or gala because that's the easiest to find organic where I shop. I'm not an organic nutcase, but apples are #1 on the dirty dozen. I buy dirty dozen produce organic. Clean 15 I buy regular produce.
    http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

Not all non-organic apples are produced using chemicals and pesticides, though. A lot of growers are going more toward soft programs, which build up the trees with nutrients so that they can fight off pests on their own as well as grow a better apple.

When I buy at the farmers' market or orchard, they publicize information about their growing techniques and can be comfortable buying non-organic. But when I pick up apples at the grocer, I have no idea how the apple was grown so I would rather play it safe. My family eats a lot of apples. Unless I know for sure where they came from and how they were grown, I'd rather be safe.
  • Mom2PAK
    Mom2PAK Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    honeycrisp
  • ChangingTami
    ChangingTami Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp and Macintosh.....yummmm!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Granny smith ~ I love the tartness!
  • Jycooper
    Jycooper Posts: 195
    Options
    Gala, cameo and braeburn. Will have to try honeycrisp.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Granny Smith, Gold Rush, Honeycrisp and Sun Crisp.

I only tend to like the more tart varieties. My only real requirement is that they are not, in the slightest bit, tender.

I just bought a box of Gold Rush and Sun Crisp apples from an orchard downstate. They shipped them to me un-waxed and it was so nice being able to eat an apple with the skin again.
  • ChangingTami
    ChangingTami Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Now ... fuji or gala because that's the easiest to find organic where I shop. I'm not an organic nutcase, but apples are #1 on the dirty dozen. I buy dirty dozen produce organic. Clean 15 I buy regular produce.

Not all non-organic apples are produced using chemicals and pesticides, though. A lot of growers are going more toward soft programs, which build up the trees with nutrients so that they can fight off pests on their own as well as grow a better apple.

When I buy at the farmers' market or orchard, they publicize information about their growing techniques and can be comfortable buying non-organic. But when I pick up apples at the grocer, I have no idea how the apple was grown so I would rather play it safe. My family eats a lot of apples. Unless I know for sure where they came from and how they were grown, I'd rather be safe.

I so agree with you, I only buy organic apples.....as well as other veggies and fruit.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Fuji! Some of the others are too sweet. Although I just got Honeycrisp so I hope I like those. ;)

I don't like the too sweet ones, either, and Honeycrisps are FANTASTIC!!
    I also love Stayman Winesap -- supposed to be good for cooking, but I love to eat them!!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, Fireside (booo i can't get them here...)
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I like any apple as long as it is firm and not a mushy one. But I do love the pink ladies!
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Pink lady!!!!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Gala
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

Fair enough.

Having grown up eating apples, cherries, pears, and peaches straight off the tree in non-organic orchards (in the 80s and 90s, no less), I just always find it a bit amusing that people freak out about them so much.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Cortlands and MacCouns
  • kealalr
    Options
    Fuji--they are soo sweet and crunchy! Plus they seem to stay fresher longer than the reds.
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp by far is my favorite! Sadly they won't be around much longer. :sad: