Sexy in Six ***closed group*** Week Six!

Options

Replies

• kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    WEDNESDAY QOTD: We all know that women we see in magazines are airbrushed within an inch of their lives. Still doesn't make those images any less influential. Has anything in the media ever directly affected you and/or you weight loss goals either positively or negatively?

Not really. I mean, I'm sure they do subconciously, but I'm not really all that interested in celebrities and such.
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    WEDNESDAY QOTD: .. Has anything in the media ever directly affected you and/or you weight loss goals either positively or negatively?

A long time ago, when dinosaurs walked the earth, I went steady with (5 years) and married (<3 years) a man who criticized me for being fat and pushed me to have a flat stomach like famous models. By the time the marriage ended, I had dieted/exercised my way to 121 lbs at 5'5' ( I weighed 133 at my heaviest)... but I still had a rounded tummy and truly believed I was fat! Finally over the years I came to realize that guess what, God gave me a curvy body, and no matter how low my weight went, my tummy would never be flat. It took me years to come to not only acceptance of my body type but also celebration of it. :flowerforyou:
  • mommy2squish
    mommy2squish Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Monday QOTD: I have not hit one so I have not had to break one. I have not really tried to lose weight. Just watched my portions.

Tuesday QOTD: I have not set mini goals but I probably should!

Wednesday QOTD: I have the mindset that I know the way they look isnt real so I have not let it affect me.
  • anettabon
    anettabon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    TUESDAY QOTD: Do you set mini-goals, with rewards? What are they, why did you pick those goals (and the fun part, the rewards!!!)

Ah, I should! I keep meaning to do this, then never really follow up when I don't get there. I'm really bad at patience, so when I make a deal with myself, I usually either forget about it or talk myself over not really needing it. I feel like I should pick this up again now that I'm back in a routine though. I'll use the other posts for inspiration! I do have a long term goal of a beach vacation in the spring :) the bathing suit is a motivator.

WEDNESDAY QOTD: .. Has anything in the media ever directly affected you and/or you weight loss goals either positively or negatively?

Not sure... I'm pretty bad at following the outside world. But yes, I do wish that I could steal Scarlett Johanson's body sometimes.
  • TanyaPearce
    Options
    I really would love to have body like that and there is no one in particular. But I would like to have a fit and tone body like Jillian Michaels.
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    WEDNESDAY QOTD: We all know that women we see in magazines are airbrushed within an inch of their lives. Still doesn't make those images any less influential. Has anything in the media ever directly affected you and/or you weight loss goals either positively or negatively?

The first person that comes to mind is Jennifer Hudson. When she was on Idol, she was larger but very pretty and went far. Since then, she has become a spokesperson for WW and looks fabulous. I recently read an article about her (I think it was Self magazine) and she seems so down to earth and realistic about eating right and exercising.

The other person that comes to mind, and no, I am not a fan of hers but I respect that she is not typical "Hollywood skinny", is Khloe Kardashian Odom. She gets a lot of crap for her weight and her curves because she isn't a size zero or even probably a size six and that is definitely sending the wrong message.

Love Jhud!! i have a picture of her on my wall at work!!! and sooo true about KKO, glad she's spoken out about it!
  • kristyann86
    kristyann86 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    WEDNESDAY QOTD: MEDIA IMAGES

feeling moody, so i'll go with negative side first :(

lately, all i see are those airbrushed images that scream "this is what a REAL woman/man SHOULD look like!" and sometimes it's discouraging. makes me feel like i can never do enough to look up to the media's standards and that i will never get/deserve happiness unless i look a certain way.

feels like man has a superficial image of what totally beautiful/sexy is....

but then i LOVE seeing success stories of those who have come a long way OR even "mo betta" the women who stand up and say "i'm not gonna change my image (whether thick & curvy or straight 'n narrow) just b/c the media says i don't look like the superficial human"
  • MaManeenCal
    MaManeenCal Posts: 142 Member
    Options

To tell you the truth, I never looks at magazines wishing I could look like them or on the other hand feeling sorry for them.... In fact, I don't look at people in the media that way at all... I look at them for what they are- celebs- actors, models, whatever.
    The people who actually influence me in a positive way are contestants from the biggest loser(even though I know they are extreme) or even more so- people's before and after photos on here! I see them and I think - OMG I want to do that! I want look that good! I want to post a picture of my before and after photos too!
  • mbw2586
    Options
    Sorry, sorry, sorry. Crazy day at work.

Thursday QOTD:

How do you meaure your progress? Do you only use the scale or do you measure as well? Do you have a certain outfit that you try on periodically to see the difference?

I know some people who don't ever ever look at a scale!

I personally weigh once a week (however lately, I find myself doing it everyday. Sigh.) and meaure arms, waist, hips, and thigh once every 4 weeks. Sometimes the measurements are a great motivator when the scale isn't budging.
  • mbw2586
    Options

At the risk of putting myself out there and feeling vulnerable, sometimes media images really affects me in a negative way. Having had 2 children in a short time span, my former 125-pound self expanded rapidly, ending in the 200 pound range. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those exceptionally lucky women who didn't get stretch marks. I think that's my biggest struggle with this whole journey. I think I would trade being a few pounds overweight for flawless skin.

When I see beautiful, perfect women in magazines and on tv, and even though I know they are enchanced and not even close to nature, I get discouraged a lot, thinking "what's the point of getting to my goal weight - the other flaws won't disappear?" I know that is the wrong frame of mind, being that I now do a lot of this for health reasons. But I won't deny my vanity. I try to take it day by day and say that I'm improving what I can and accepting what I can't change.
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOTD:

How do you meaure your progress? Do you only use the scale or do you measure as well? Do you have a certain outfit that you try on periodically to see the difference?

I weigh myself every day and track it in a spreadsheet; however, I only officially count it on Fridays. This just keeps me on track during the week or motivates me to work harder.

I also pay attention to the way that my clothes fit. For example, I bought a new pair of pants in Sept, two sizes smaller than when I started MFP. They were slightly snug, but fit comfortably two weeks later. Today I noticed that they are getting a bit looser and that I have to tighten my belt more to keep them up. I don't think I'm ready for the next size down, but I can tell by the way that they fit that I am heading in that direction. I also bought a size petite small shirt this week! I tried on the medium first as I always do, and it was too big!
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Absolutely! Hasn't everyone seen a look in a magazine that they want to replicate, but can't because their [insert most hated body part here] is too big? :grumble:

Women like Jessica Simpson, Christina Aguilera and Kelly Clarkson who struggle to maintain their figures make me so sad.... I mean, did anyone ever think that maybe they're happier being a 10 and not spending 4,000 hours in the gym every day? Everyone looks good (and feels good) at different sizes ... and SIX is not always that size!
  • missinmybiscuits
    Options
    Thursday QOTD:

I weigh myself every morning as a routine because it helps me set my goal for the day... if I've lost pounds, then I don't worry as much about staying around 1200, but if I'm up, then I make sure that I stay around 1200. I usually exercise regardless of my weight, but I might do an extra cardio session (if my knees can take it :grumble: <--I love this "grumble" smiley) if I'm up.

I also have 8 zillion different pairs of different sized clothes. 10's, 12's, 14's ... all cut differently and shaped differently, so I try on tighter clothes once in a while to see if they fit better, but pretty much I go with what's clean! I am considering measuring because I'm concerned about my thighs getting BIGGER as I run more, but right now I haven't bothered because measurements can fluctuate so much just with tape placement. Maybe it's worth it to have those NSVs, though?
  • missinmybiscuits
    Options
    Unfortunately, I'm not one of those exceptionally lucky women who didn't get stretch marks. I think that's my biggest struggle with this whole journey. I think I would trade being a few pounds overweight for flawless skin.

I don't even have kids and I have stretch marks from gaining and loosing so much weight. I will tell you, though, that they fade a LOT when you lose the weight. You might still be able to feel them there, but they aren't nearly as visible. That's also something I use to measure my weight loss is the visibility of the largest mark just beside my belly button. I HATE it, but as I lose the belly fat, it fades. Hang in there - it WILL get better! :heart:
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOTD:

I used to try on one pair of jeans. They were my goal jeans because when I started trying to lose weight in January, I could barely get them half-way up my thighs. I actually gave them away about a month ago because a) I could fit into them again and b) I remembered the reason that I never wore them was that they were 12-R and where therefore, way too short for me. Sigh.

I definitely need a new try on outfit. I may go through my closet again tonight and find a pair of jeans or pants that used to fit and still don't yet. :)
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't even have kids and I have stretch marks from gaining and loosing so much weight. I will tell you, though, that they fade a LOT when you lose the weight. You might still be able to feel them there, but they aren't nearly as visible. That's also something I use to measure my weight loss is the visibility of the largest mark just beside my belly button. I HATE it, but as I lose the belly fat, it fades. Hang in there - it WILL get better! :heart:

I'm the exact same! No kids, but really annoying stretch marks to the right of my under the belly button pouch. Blah. They've faded with the 20+ pounds I've lost, but I'm looking forward to losing another ten and being less able to see them. They were bright pink when I was at my heaviest though and I was so self conscious about them.
  • mbw2586
    Options
    Unfortunately, I'm not one of those exceptionally lucky women who didn't get stretch marks. I think that's my biggest struggle with this whole journey. I think I would trade being a few pounds overweight for flawless skin.

Thank you for posting this! :)
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOTD:

I weigh myself every day, but that is more to keep me on track than anything. I also measure about once a month.

But what has been making me feel REALLY good lately is my strength. My legs are stronger. My arms are stronger. I'm feeling muscles that I never had...even when I was thin. I was making my 13 year old laugh last night because I was all like, "Kyle, feel my guns. Pow! Pow!" Hehehe.

I try to avoid looking in a mirror still, though, because my eyes are still hateful little things, and they tend to only see the bad things.
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOTD:

I weigh myself every day, like lots of others have said, just to keep my "mind in the game" and my goals in front of me. If I don't, it's too easy to just have one treat (and knowing me, I cannot stop at one). I also go by how my clothes fit, but since I have so many different sizes, it's hard to measure with that.

(Edited to make corrections, stupid typos)
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOTD:

I weigh every day. It helps keep me focused. I used to measure, need do to again. Mainly, it's clothes. Specifically at the time a pair of jeans that I paid $100 for. Never in my whole entire life have I paid that much for a pair of jeans!!!!! The 20 pounds I gained back - no way can I get them on. (I have to hid them from my 14 year old daughter!) She loves them!