How about instead of "look how gross I was" we say...

Options
lisaidem
lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
It can be kind of hurtful to others to say "I weighed X number of pounds and I was completely disgusting." There are plenty of people that weigh much more than whatever weight you mention, and would LOVE to be that weight. Or there are those (like myself) who have lost a good amount of weight, and are at YOUR starting weight, when you were "so disgusting."

How about the for the sake of motivating others, we just say that we weren't happy at that weight, rather than making judgement statements?

This behavior kind of reminds me of a friend I have, that makes statements about how only very thin girls are attractive. Says this to my face. Who does he think he is talking to? He doesn't mean to hurt my feelings, although I am obviously not on his radar of potentially attractive people (maybe he thinks I'm a man?), but it does anyway.

Just a thought.

Replies

• april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    you know, i thought this post was going a different direction...

you have an awesome point...while i would kill to weight so and so's weight, someone would kill to me my weight...thanksf or pointing that out *hugs*
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your kind sentiment. I imagine it's coming from a nice place.

However, I will choose to describe MYSELF as I see fit.

And I WAS fat. Very FAT. And I felt horrible, and disgusting, and I hated it. So I changed it.

The fact that other people started at other weights has nothing to do with my own journey, and if someone wants to generalize the things I say about my former self to their own situation, that's their problem, not mine.

Best wishes.
    Limiting people's speech isn't an idea I like on any day, especially Veteran's Day when we're supposed to be celebrating freedom and all.
  • jen_davenport
    jen_davenport Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i have often had this same thought. thank you for sharing, I completely agree!
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    @ OP: Amen, sister.

@ Lucky...seriously, bringing Veteran's Day into it? Yeah, I guess demoralizing speech is much more patriotic than solidarity and bolstering one's community, huh?
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have heard on more than one occasion someone that is now 130 lbs say "I was so fat and disgusting when I was 200 pounds..." Well I am close to 200 lbs so that does hurt my feelings. Yes, I KNOW I am fat, but just hearing it in that particular wording is harsh.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    That is a very good idea! Reminds me of a friend of mine who talks about how pathetic people are who don't have enough money to go out and "enjoy their life" all the time to my face when I had to move back in with my mom after my ex and I broke up. People are just *doh* sometimes :wink:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    while it would be nice to see people not writing things like this, it'll never stop...we are our own worst critic.
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    LOL I am not limiting anyone's speech, and throwing Veterans Day in there is a cheap shot. Suddenly I'm not patriotic because I suggest people maybe think about their harsh words in a support forum...yeah.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    @ OP: Amen, sister.

@ Lucky...seriously, bringing Veteran's Day into it? Yeah, I guess demoralizing speech is much more patriotic than solidarity and bolstering one's community, huh?

^^^^^THIS!!!!
  • mikonei
    mikonei Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I topped out at 306 and though I was unhappy with myself, I never thought of it as disgusting and felt pretty bad when I saw people saying that at 200lbs.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i totally agree!!! i know it's a self perception thing, but you probably shouldn't be posting on boards about how "disgusting" you look at a certain weight when there's ALWAYS going to be someone who weights more than you!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    statement one: I was so disgusting when I was 238 lbs.

statement two: You are so disgusting at 238 lbs.

One of these is an insult. ONLY one.
    The other is my opinion, of myself, who I AM allowed to judge. As much as I want.

I'd rather be held accountable for the things I DO say rather than the things other people's emotional baggage causes them to *imagine* I said.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

Free speech is important especially when it's unpopular. Sorry. I'm not into candy-coating and pre-worrying over how I speak so I can prevent someone else from misinterpreting it and hurting their own feelings.
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I feel this everytime I see someone's pic that is alot smaller then me and think, "my god I love myself and think I am beautiful but just want to be healthy and they think they are fat and disgusting?!? Man they must think I look fat and disguesting". I'm 32 yrs old and have stuggled with my weight since I was in 5th grade! Not that I've not tried doing things before but when you hear people refer themselves or people in a higher weight Gross and fat and disgusting, it breaks my heart b/c I was made fun of most of my life for being fat, I didn't think anyone would ever want to be with me or marry me for that matter... Now I am engaged n working on my body issues together! Every morning before work we go to the gym for an hr! So Thank you for starting this topic!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

The other is my opinion, of myself, who I AM allowed to judge. As much as I want.

I'd rather be held accountable for the things I DO say rather than the things other people's emotional baggage causes them to *imagine* I said.

^^ This

When other people talk about themselves and you allow it to hurt your feelings you need to examine yourself for why. That's not healthy.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    When someone says "look how gross I was" at a certain weight that others would be delighted to get to, I think it's more of a statement of how they feel about themselves, not an opinion about anyone else. I agree though that it can be helpful if we could take the time to think about how our words may affect others. Sometimes, it just pops out. Personally, if I know no harm was intended, then I choose not to be offended.
  • mandimommy
    Options
    Nobody can make you feel a certain way. You own your emotions, feelings and reactions. If I thought I looked gross at a certain size, I'd say it. It doesn't mean I feel someone else looks gross at that size... but even if it did, who cares? I am some anonymous person on the internet.
  • radfordgal05
    Options
    I agree with this post and for what it is worth Lisa you look great, keep up the good work.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    wow interesting conversation....I must say I did not expect it to go the way it did
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options

^^ This

When other people talk about themselves and you allow it to hurt your feelings you need to examine yourself for why. That's not healthy.

Like minds :smile:
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!