Diet Tribe - 30 Pounds in 90 Days!

Options

Replies

• bh34
    bh34 Posts: 94
    Options
    What do you mean a couple of days isn't enough to hit a plateau? I didn't know it took a certain amount of time for that to happen.
  • RedPepper39759
    Options
    What do you mean a couple of days isn't enough to hit a plateau? I didn't know it took a certain amount of time for that to happen.
    Yes, it takes time to break a weight-loss plateau. The older you get and the slower your metabolism gets, the longer it takes. Your body is all about helping you survive and keeping you alive.

I have lost and gained weight many times. When I was at your age, it took me about a week to start to see results. A couple of years ago, it took me 2 weeks to break the plateau. This year at 40, it took me TWO MONTHs before I started to see steady weight-loss! Once your body gets into a "comfort" zone, it wouldn't easily give in to your challenge and let go.

Hang in there, girl! I noticed that you joined in March and already lost 8 lbs. At the beginning, it could be mostly water weight. I don't know if you were too stricted with food. Only the right combination of nutrition and exercise can send the right signal to your body. If you are too hungry or too tired or dehydrated, your body will be alerted and does everything it can to save you - store fat or retain water! Eat the recommended calories and about half of the extra calories earned from exercise and drink 64+ oz water daily - you have to eat enough to rev up your fat burning engine and drink enough to get rid of water retention. That's how it works for me.

Good luck!
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies and gents I have to admit that I was not in the mood to go to the gym this afternoon after hanging out with my son at the park for almost 4 hours but I went and did 30 minutes on the treadmill and 30 minutes on the Precor EFX machine. I didn't do my normal interval routine but I did get my butt to workout.

QUESTION:

What are some foods that you buy when shopping (healthy of course :laugh: )?
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

QUESTION:

hummus, Special K crackers, fresh fruits and veggies, Greek yogurt (honey flavored is my favorite), Fiber One bars and cereal, skim milk, herbal teas, sweet potatoes, frozen vegetables, healthy salad dressings, low fat deli meats and extra fiber bread or wraps (I found some wraps that are only 50 calories and they aren't the super tiny ones...so excited to try these!), almonds, and occasionally I buy the single serving containers of Ben and Jerry's as a treat. They are portion controlled, and they are the real Ben and Jerry's ice cream so they don't taste like "diet food" (because they aren't) but I can eat the whole container, and as long as I budget for it in my calories, it's a guilt free special treat!
  • RedPepper39759
    Options
    Great workout, Brandi!

Here is a list of something healthy I shop for:
    1. Tofu, to cook with lean ground turkey and frozen or fresh mixed veggies
    2. Frozen broccoli, steam it and then mix in some lowfat cheese, easy cheesy and yummy
    3. zuccini, sauteed it with minced onion, and I use Tony Chachere's Creole Seasonings on almost everything.
    4. Bell Pepper + Zuccini + Mushroom + Onion + Sausage + Pork Loin, brush some Tony Chachere's Roasted Garlic and Herb Marinade to make shish kabob
    5. stirfry fresh asparagus + red bell pepper + thin sliced lean pork
    6. cucumber salad
    7. fresh strawberries, pineapples, california naval oranges, etc are in the season

And all kinds of other options. Sometimes I eat too much good stuff. That's not good. myfitnesspal is helping me straighten out my eating.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Okay I ended up doing a lot of little workouts today, and I feel great. My calories are on target for the day and I might even have enough left to have some of that Ben and Jerry's I mentioned in my previous post! How is everyone else doing?
  • turtle31
    turtle31 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Okay I ended up doing a lot of little workouts today, and I feel great. My calories are on target for the day and I might even have enough left to have some of that Ben and Jerry's I mentioned in my previous post! How is everyone else doing?

Hey Laura, my day was great! My students were little angels, I still have 480 calories to eat , and it's date night for my husband and I. I haven't worked out yet today, but I'm hoping I make good eating choices tonight during date night. I'm thinking dinner in and a movie. Any suggestions for dinner?
  • turtle31
    Options
    Ok ladies and gents I have to admit that I was not in the mood to go to the gym this afternoon after hanging out with my son at the park for almost 4 hours but I went and did 30 minutes on the treadmill and 30 minutes on the Precor EFX machine. I didn't do my normal interval routine but I did get my butt to workout.

QUESTION:

Hey Brandiann, I LOVE THE EFX MACHINE! Do you do the weight loss program?
  • Brandiann
    Options

QUESTION:

Hey Brandiann, I LOVE THE EFX MACHINE! Do you do the weight loss program?

I do but I also switch it up and do interval training and cross training on it.
  • csanchez39
    csanchez39 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for your advice.

I just got back from walking outside at a fast pace for 1 1/2 hours. I feel great! I also just had 1 cup of special k cereal and was a little over on the 1200 calorie max. :smile:

I just recently bought
    Healthy life whole grain bread
    sugar free jello
    fruits
    veggies
    pretzels
    fat free tapioca
    special k

I have a big bag of spinach any ideas?
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options

QUESTION:

W00T, good for you!

I always buy some asparagus, sweet potatoes (I make fries in the oven with cumin MMMMMMmmmm), salmon (and a cedar plank), canned tuna. Those are my staples in a week, lol.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Great day today!!! Super excited for weigh in on monday! I had a great workout, hit up the elliptical for about 40 min and my hrm said I burned 950 cals! So I have plenty to play with, although I only eat 1/2 of my exercise cals, that's what works for me! Great job ladies!!! Keep up the great work and workouts!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • goingforgoal
    goingforgoal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well, today was easy and I checked my weight this morning and was down 2lbs from Monday. Then we did our weekly night out tonight. We went for Mexican and I ordered tea! This is big b/c for the last 6 months or so every Thursday has been Margarita night for me and my husband. He's a runner and has complained about how it keeps him up at night, but dang they're so good and so tempting. But tonight, I went in with a new head and didn't order it and didn't miss it. I did splurge in place of it on chips and tortillas. I've been miserable since I left there and now I know just how healthy I've been eating all week long. I'll not repeat that again. Maybe we'll pick a new night and different place to eat next week. My family is so supportive and my girls are game for anything. It's late and I'm not staying up for activity tonight. I get off early tomorrow and will make up for it then. It'll have to be inside b/c of the storms but I'll do something. I'm not blowing this one!!!
  • turtle31
    Options
    Hey ladies, I had a big breakthrough with my husband when I got home from school. He went for his physical today and told me that he is ready to lose weight. He has been watching me so he is inspired. Date night wasn't so hard after all. He was determined to start his road to weight loss tonight so we got a slice of pizza at Sams Club while doing some shopping. We also went walking the mall so that was a little cardio. when we got home he went straight to the elliptical and I went to the treadmill for 40 min. after eating some mandarin chicken from panda express. I only went over a little with my calories, put as I said I burned 400 calories on treadmill. I can't wait until monday. I'm trying to stay off that scale until then. Have a blessed night.
  • FitMomRunning
    FitMomRunning Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I can't believe it's Friday already. This week has flown!

This morning I completed Week 7 of C25K, woohoo! I'm about to go do my strength training for the day. I wish it were done already! I really should go to bed just a little earlier so I can get up and get it all done before the rush of the day starts.

My husband won tickets to a major league baseball game at work so we're going to go tonight. I'm thinking we'll all eat before we go. I'm sure the food prices are sky high and I don't need that many extra calories. lol

As far as food I like to buy, I loooooooooooove me some cheese. I got a package of Sargento colby jack cheese sticks with reduced fat. Each stick is 60 calories, 4.5g of fat and 5g protein. I like the high fiber quaker oatmeal and the Nickles 35 calorie multigrain bread. For everything else I pretty much just eat what I normally would if I weren't trying to lose weight, just stopping at one portion or when I am full.

Turtle, that is great that your husband is doing this with you!
  • Brandiann
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!

Doing my daily check-in for today.... I went food shopping earlier to Costco and Pathmark and bought big bags of frozen berries, strawberries, & broccoli (wow they are very inexpensive compared to the grocery store :noway: ). I also bought hummus, mutli-grain sandwich thins (100 calories each), Dannon Light and Fit yogurts, granola, cereal, sugar free chocolate pudding, angel food cake, sugar free pineapples (canned), frozen shrimp, whole grain pasta, pasta sauce, 100 calorie packs, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, 2% milk, Frigo light mozarella cheese sticks and items to make a salad. I think I did well and didn't buy any junk food for the others in the house to eat and for me not to get tempted :wink: .

I just came back from the gym and did 17 minutes on the Precor and 43 minutes on the treadmill with intervals. Did 60 crunches and some lower body weight training but not my usual. :bigsmile:

I had a good breakfast which was granola with yogurt and for lunch I had homemade chicken salad on a whole wheat sandwich thin and a side of red peppers and carrots with hummus.... Oh yeah and lots of water! Not sure what to cook for dinner but I'm thinking shrimp with pasta and broccoli of some sort...

:flowerforyou: Can't wait for Monday to see how well everyone is doing. Hope your having a wonderful day! :drinker:
  • jawalsh1
    jawalsh1 Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi! Just wanted to check in and share my new favorite healthy recipe - I made these last night and they were to die for!

Oven Sweet Potato Fries (serves 2)

1-2 sweet potatoes
    salt
    garlic powder
    cinnamon
    olive oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Peel and slice sweet potatoes into thin fries. Place in ziploc bag or large bowl and toss with 1-2 T olive oil so they are just coated. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and cinnamon. Bake 10 minutes, flip and bake another 10 minutes. If you like your fries a but more crispy, bake 12 minutes per side.

I know the weekend is usually when I fall off the plan, with all the eating out and cookouts. So, I'm trying to find recipes that can replace the traditional "cook out" items, which are generally unhealthy. If anyone has any favorites, please share!

Have a great weekend!

-Julie
  • cmstief
    cmstief Posts: 59
    Options
    HI! i was wondering if you have to be trying to lose 30 to join?? im trying to lose ten! I've just been having a hard time with motivation, so I was hoping that by joining a group like this I would get some extra encouragement! Is that okay with everyone??
  • Brandiann
    Options
    HI! i was wondering if you have to be trying to lose 30 to join?? im trying to lose ten! I've just been having a hard time with motivation, so I was hoping that by joining a group like this I would get some extra encouragement! Is that okay with everyone??

I think that's fine, welcome aboard! :flowerforyou:
  • FitMomRunning
    FitMomRunning Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, Saturday! We enjoyed the Pirates game last night and I refrained from eating the goodies there. The root beer float sounded soooo good.

This has been a great week! While I didn't track things as much as I should have (okay, or at all) I still stuck to my portions and did my exercise. This morning after my strength training I totally didn't want to do my cardio since the morning was already half gone. But I got on the treadmill for 30 minutes and did it! I'm anxious to see what the scale says tomorrow for my official weigh in.

As far as cookouts go, what about grilling fruit? Or making some kabobs? We did some fruit/cheese kabobs once for a potluck and not one was left. They were pretty easy and even the kids thought they were good.