Skinny chicks and a rooster November challenge (closed)

Replies

• lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Decided that I needed a bit of a detox... have slacked all the way around lately! So, I am done with the processed sugar, again! What can I say... the stuff is like crack! I have been craving sugar! And people around are NO help. Seriously... it's like you say no and everyone decides to start offering. Even my friend that is staying with me -- she knows, KNOWS and still was offering me Cinnamon M&Ms. I told her I needed her to take them to the room she is staying in. I was NOT happy! Brother left though - which is good because candy is his main calorie source but you couldn't tell it looking at him. And, he kept bringing in the Reeses... seriously?!? They are like my cryptonite. UGH!! So... 16 cups of water later and a day full of protein... I am getting ready to switch over another load of laundry and hitting the hay! Meanwhile - when I re-read, I see that for my initial 3 days of starting my regular eating that I need to be careful with exercise, really it says to NOT. I used it... I used it as an excuse to NOT do it! The fact that the snow was falling only helped delay... he, he, he. However, Zumba is Monday at 5:30 with AJ and I plan to be there, laughing and having a good ol' time!

Cyndi -- so let's chat a little about the whole triathalon thing... I am going to do one in the fall and am wondering what your "training" program is? Did someone set it up? Did you read it somewhere? Or is that another one of those subjects that you are oddly smart and all-knowing about? I am just aiming at being above the bottom 10 of a Sprint Triathalon here in Montana... but people here are really serious about it and competitive... so I want to get prepared NOW and really train. All I've been doing is the equivalent of one on Saturdays. I also bike or elliptical most days. My bike time has improved... and I need to get back into the pool -- but they are doing construction still on the showers! Getting in and out of a cold pool and then having to drive home in the snow before I get a warm shower???? That does NOT appeal to me! he, he, he!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Its the last day of personal best week!!! What have you accomplished? What are you trying today??

I'm quite cross that my hamstrings have been playing up and I haven't been able to run. I will get this in before the end of the month.
  • lombrica - there are Cinnamon M&M's now????????? i am so going to gain so much weight in January when i come home to USA for 3 weeks CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • contemplating starting a list of things i want to do when i reach my goal - on said list:

buy a pair of knee high boots (hell thigh high! just kidding, knee high)
    wear horizontal stipes
    cut my hair mid length (i use the length to hide my double chin in most photos)
    overalls - even to wear around the house because overalls are not a fashion statement
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,894 Member
    Cynthia, you are my idol. I wish there was a triathalon around here that I could do. I love the swim part, but have only ridden on a recumbent bike and walked, not jogged. Maybe that will be the something new I try next week (take a spin class) so I sit my *kitten* on a regular bike. I have not done that in years and do not know how it will feel. You take on whatever is in your path and do it. I still do not have that confidence yet.

Staci, holding the plank for over 2 minutes, awesome. I am trying today to hold one for 45 seconds. If I do, it will be a personal best for me.

Becky, giving up sugar, WOW. I do not eat nearly as much as I did, but would probably go into withdrawls if I gave it up completely. I love getting in my Special K bar as a snack a couple of times a week.

You are all doing so well, Keep it up. Carla
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Arrggghhh! So, my sore elbow that I have been baby-ing for 3 weeks is a serious case of tendonitis. I went and saw the doctor before work today. He said, ibuprofen (4 at a time) and don't use it. I said I had been taking it easy and he said "Don't use it or I will cast it" It seems it is a severe case. I was told no more Insanity (at least no more of the plank and push up parts- which are scattered throughout) no more of the arm machines at Curves for the next 2 weeks atleast. I will go back then and be re-evaluated. So, dammit!!! I wanted to lose 10 pounds by Christmas!! I am totally pissed. I wasn't even doing something fun when it happened. I was tossing firewood into a pile. Dammit, dammit, dammit!!! I guess, I am going to have to spend some time re-evaulating my plan for the rest of the month. Needless to say that means I will not be meeting my goal this month of following the Insanity plan. I will be back later to cath up on everyone's posts when I have come up with plan B and am not so annoyed with myself.
  • stephaniezoundi
    Tomorrow starts week 3 of our November challenge:
    November 15th – 21st: NUTRITION WEEK our focus this week is food and water. Its also going to be our sharing week. Monday and Wednesday aim for 30%+ protein intake, Tuesday and Thursday is H2O days – its simple drink up!! Friday share your favourite healthy recipe. Saturday/Sunday: Try at least 1 new food and share your thoughts on it.

So tomorrow is H2O day! Drink up drink up drink up! I'm aiming for 16 glasses - this will be a bit of a challenge as I have a lot of classroom time tomorrow but I'm going to try! :drinker:
  • scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member

Scott
    -- I am a confirmed edamame junkie. But! When I first tried it, I thought it was disgusting. So some notes. WARM is better than cold. Cold is like. Ugh I don't know. SO microwave those bad boys till one of the pods pops and spits a bean, then you know they're ready ;) Two, salt makes it go down ;) suck the salt off the outside, then split the pod open and eat the beans out inside. No, you don't eat the outside skin (just in case you were.) I did that ;) No wonder I thought they were nasty! And last resort, if you really can't get into 'em. Try shaking a few drop of soy or teriyaki sauce over the beans the flavor will help. ;) Enjoy!

Thanks for the insight! Though I probably attacked it the safe way. I bought the dry roasted edamame. Not much different than eating nuts. I tend to rack up a lot of sodium with other processed foods, so I'm going to stay away from any means that's going to make me want to add salt or soy sauce!! The taste is growing on me...I'll probably purchase it again. Thanks for the tip!
  • scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member
    Tried my third food today - quinoa. I didn't do anything fancy - just cooked it up and at canned tuna with it. Texture is a bit different, but I like it. I wonder if I can dress it up with lime and cilantro like I did my brown rice last week?

Have a great night, everyone!
  • Icewolf_The
    Icewolf_The Posts: 308 Member
    In answer to your question Scott. Yes, you can add lime and cilantro, and may I suggest some dried chili peppers when you're cooking it if you chop them up very fine before you cook it, they'll 'reconstitute' when you cook the quinoa, and make it spicy as well. Add the lime and cilantro at the end to perfume the end result. :) Basically making it 'spanish rice' or mexican rice. ;)

Love the beagle btw, very cute ;)
    OH and a little salt goes a long way on the edamame if you're eating them raw/fresh. You can even treat it margarita style and just lick your hand, and put the salt there ;) that way you get less. Of course I use kosher salt, which is far less sodium per salt oomph. :)

Stephy
    -- I'll try :)

Staci
    -- Do yourself a favor and go buy an arm sling at the drugstore and wear it for your arm. When he says 'don't use it' he means period. Not even to write out checks or wipe your *kitten* ;) At least for the first week. Every bit you use it, will keep it being inflamed. XOXOXO I am so sorry. It's like my tibialis tendon why I had to wear the boot. Think of the sling as your boot. Trust me, you don't want a cast ;)

Carla
    -- Thanks. I just do what I want to do and hell and brimstone be damned if it gets in my way. Of course most of my life has been that way so this shouldn't come as a surprise for any new challenges ;) Keep an eye out for the local bike shops and at your gym. Usually local 5k runs or cycle competitions get posted and you can always enter those! Also I'll post below the information about the Tri I was thinking of doing, they're having them all over the country. :)

Becks
    -- So, guilty. I just have been pushing myself to do more more more. I know, I'm crazy. But I know that the sprint triathalon consists of the certain events and the time limits they have placed on them. So I set my training schedule up to accomodate their development into the timeframe that I have. (which btw is too ****ing short, and I don't think I'm doing the Dec one. I think I'm pushing off till April, for two reasons, but I'll tell ya more in a sec). I've added in the rounds of weight training specifically developing my latissimus dorsi, deltoids, trapezius, tricep, bicep, and all the underlying back muscles like the rhomboids, spine, thoracic, obliques, etc..

So I've been going hard at improving those muscles and giving definition. Oh it's working. I've sculpted my back like a ****ing errector set. It's freaky. If I dual arm 'flex' like you know arm muscle pose. And you look at my back it's ripped. I'll have to take a pic. Lower down I still have the god damn love handles, but from neck to mid back the fat is all gone. Really freaky. Anyway reason I'm doing it, is that I'll need the power to jam through the water fast and hard. WITHOUT using my legs. I mean. At all. Your quads are the biggest muscle group in your body. They eat oxygen for fun when you use them. If I kick, like more than feebly during the swim portion of the half mile, I'll burn up all my oxygen reserves for the other two legs of the race. Also, the other two portions rely almost COMPLETELY on my quads, hams, etc. So using them up in the swim, is well, suicidal. That means I literally will have to PULL myself through the water for half a mile using only my upper body strength. In 30 minutes or less. ;) Today I started doing butterfly laps in the pool. God they suck. Literally you feel like the oxygen is just being ripped out of your lungs at first. By the 2nd 50 m it was the crushing burn in my back and arms. I thought I might explode. I then did another 20 free laps and then finished up with 2 more sets of 50 m butterfly. *kitten* kicking. Just draining. I have new respect for Michael Phelps that's for damn sure.

So for the other half. Bricks... (B)ike + (R)un + ick= ;) Interval and hill training. Right now I"m working on cadence instead of speed. Which is why i'm using that god damn aweful cycle in the gym. Which kills my *kitten*. 25 minutes is all I can take then I have to walk around or go do the treadmill and then I'll have to come back I've decided. I just can't sit on that awful bike for more than 25 mins straight. Anyway right now I"m peddling about 6 min miles doing the cadence work, which means, using a lower gear (or in this case on my particular bike a resistance of 5) and spinning faster to get there at or around the same time as if you were using a higher gear and more power (draining energy out of your body faster). From what I understand. So you have to build up your endurance to pedal hellishly fast. (kinda like Stephy and her crazy *kitten* spinning classes). ;) Then I walk down the room and hop on the treadmill and set it for a 3 mil/hr pace and walk as fast as I can. Doing wind sprints up to 3.5mph till I crank my HR up over the 145 80% mark, (which takes about a minute) then I walk it back down to 3mph and cool down. In the 30 mins you're allowed to use the treadmill continuous in the gym I do about 4 sprints. I could do more, but I try not to kill myself ;)

So the ankle just crapped out on me today. I don't know why it did. But 5 minutes into the walk It sent a sharp pain right up my entire leg past my knee. I was like allllrighty guess we're done with the walking then. Biking ended up being okay, Except for the creeper that was dressed like a homeless person and kept staring at me. I had to go tell the office staff, they're like well, if he bothers you come let us know. (and I'm standing there thinking, isn't that what I'm doing?) Holy ****. Apparently he has a pass. Comes dressed in flannel shirt, jeans, hiking/work boots, and looks like he hasn't showered in weeks. *shudders* Stop STARING at me. Skeeving me out.

I was glad the Christian Academy football guy was in the gym today with me. He's too nice. I'm pretty sure with his help we could have taken care of skeevy man.

So anyway as promised here is the Triathalon info ;)http://www.hitstriathlonseries.com
    I was going to do the first one in December, but I think I'd rather do the one at Napa Valley. Then I can have my French Laundry dinner there in celebration afterwards ;)

And besides I just booked the airfare, hotel, rental car, and pet lodging for Loki for the Christmas trip back to Ohio, Holy **** like 4K... *rolls eyes* so there goes the money we could have spent on the TRI... Oh well. Doesn't mean I'll stop training, Just means I've got more time to get better. ;)
  • sorry didnt read all just chiming in on the quinoa

i recently tried it for breakfast - cook it plain, then add cinnamon and raisins delicious!
  • StaciO
    My family and I love quinoa- we make it with all kinds of things but have never made it with cinnamon and raisins for breakfast. Gonna have to try it though. Our most recent was with some ground chicken, garlic, oregano, rosemary, onions, feta cheese fresh basil and some fresh diced tomatos. My hubby and daughter stuffed some pitas with it and I made mine itno lettuce wraps.

So, I am feeling a little better today about the whole elbow thing. It still sucks but if not using it will make it heal faster then I won't freaking use it. I went to Curves last night and skipped all of the arm machines and just went around the circuit and extra time. I think I will use a sling and try going for an easy jog or maybe just a walk when I get home. I also pulled out my Wii last night and replaced the batteries in the balance board so I can use it. If all else fails I will just do the free step tonight while watching Biggest Loser on tv.

Hope everyone is having a great day and happy losing!
  • stephaniezoundi
    Got in 12 glasses of water today....was bursting and trying to herd kids out of the room so I could run to the loo at the end of every set of lessons but I'm impressed as I normally barely scrap 8 on a Tuesday!

Tomorrow is protein day - you are aiming for 30% or more!!
  • StaciO
    Steph- I got my 30% protein for yesterday and so far today I am at 9 waters and its not quite 3pm here on the west coast.
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,894 Member
    Staci, sorry to hear about your arm. It is tough when you are not feeling your best. Take care of yourself and do what the doctor orders, it will heal faster that way.

Okay so I got in my 12 waters today, but did not get in the protein yesterday. I will try for tomorrow.

Hope all is well with everyone and that you are meeting all those goals you set for yourselves.
    Carla
  • StaciO
    I got in 13 waters for yesterday and as long as I eat what I planned today I will be at almost 35% on my protein for today. I have been thinking about the new food for this weekend and I am not sure what I am going to try. I may wander around the grocery store on Friday and see what looks good. Part of my problem is that with all of my travelling before I got married I have eaten a lot of different foods. Some of them my hubby doesn't want to hear about (he isn' t picky but doesn't want to know what exactly he may be eating either.) LOL
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    I'm hoping to keep up with this thread better. Not enough hours in the day lately. I haven't stopped moving so that's a plus. I'm struggling to reach 30% protein but I'll keep at it. Nothing but boneless chicken and veggies on my menu tonight.

Loving my gym time! After yesterdays leg weight circuit I'm walking a little funny today but it's all good.

You're all very inspiring around here - HUGS all around!!
  • stephaniezoundi
    Who's bright idea was 30% protein.....???? Struggling! At 25% according to mfp on my phone but its always different then when Cynthia has told me it and I like Cynthia's calculations better!
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Hi everyone :flowerforyou: Been a crazy couple of weeks, and I'm still trying to keep the exercises going from before. I'm thinking that in order for me to EVER hit 30% protein, I'm going to have to get some powder or shake or something. I've done low carb before, but I hated it, and it was too easy to fall back off the wagon, so I won't even consider it.

I will say that I am up to 8 minutes straight on the DEVIL (elliptical, for those of you who don't know me), so I may not make my goal of 15 minutes straight for this month, but I should at least make 10, which is still very exciting. I will admit that I was ready to quit at 7 minutes, but since I was 10 seconds over, i forced myself to keep going and finish the next minute. Depending on the weather on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, I may try and tackle that lake trail again, and then once more next week with my girls when they're home. That will be my 3 times this month, and may be the last last time I do it until the weather warms up again. I don't like bundling up, so wearing anything more than a hoodie to walk will just irritate the hell out of me.

I hope everyone is doing wonderfully!
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    lombrica - there are Cinnamon M&M's now????????? i am so going to gain so much weight in January when i come home to USA for 3 weeks CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They may be gone by then... I think that they are for the holiday season. And yeah, they have cinnamon and they are good! I have had a total of one serving - but my friend is gone as are the M&Ms. Though - there are about 10 different flavors these days. Between the M&Ms and the Hershey's Kisses... Most frustrating part is that I never really was that much of a candy person prior, but when I really focused on cutting out processed sugars if I give in just a little, I have to battle the cravings all over again! It wasn't worth it... but they were really good!