Being OCD about calories

Options
How do you keep from being overly OCD about calorie counting? Most days I'm good - but every once in a while I start to get really obsessed with being precise - which isn't feasible. Anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• edith_t
    edith_t Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    everyday.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    oh yes!! Somedays I'm good but other days look out!
  • laz22girl
    Options
    I think obsession is almost normal to be successful at this process.
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I loveee being OCD about counting calories
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    every single day.
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have gotten so bad that I weigh my food now.
  • sarajmitch79
    Options
    If I could get as OCD about my workouts as I am on counting calories I'd be in great shape
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    That's why I'm here... I don't want to go backwards and it helps me get a grip on what I'm eating.
    Someday, I hope I don't NEED to track everything but for now I actually enjoy it.

Once in awhile I do have days where I just don't give a crap and I eat awful -- then I realize its TOM andI know what happened :)
    So I just start again....
  • annimal74
    Options
    I'm very ocd about calories it cant be to the point of annoying I use to be that way with the scale also but found that if I had the next size smaller jeans that I would try them on everyday instead of weighing bc I could physically see the difference in my body way before the scale would budge :) haven't figures out the calorie thing yet though I do I will let you know :)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal to think about your food choices often, it's important to pay attention.

However, you are not "being OCD" about it. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is a disease characterized by uncontrollable thoughts and habits. Sorry, but that's just a peeve of mine.
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'm totally OCD about logging in my calories, first to admit it, lol. I'll also admit that I ENJOY logging my food and seeing the results! :happy:

Never would have thought ... lol
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am currently just trying to log my calories once a week and the rest of the time just note what I eat in the "food notes" section. I have an idea of how many calories are in what I eat based on my experience as a calorie counter (and my once-a-week "check in"). I'm trying not to get nutso about it like I have in the past.
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Everyday! You have to be for it to be sucessful. It does get easier as you learn which foods or which meals have how many calories and so forth! Keep up the OCD!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    everyday. however, i'd rather be ocd about calories and working out compared to going back to who i was before!
  • sdguy2002
    sdguy2002 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i dont count coffee made from home. But count little workouts .
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I actually had to stop logging EVERYTHING for awhile because I was just too dang OCD about it. I had to back off (not stop caring, but just back off the obsessive calorie counting) to give myself a chance to relax. It's tough.
  • chefswife67
    Options
    OMG!! I thought i was the only one that was OCD on calories:laugh:
    If i can't get on MFP to log my food i feel like the world is going to end..:sad:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Realize that you could never be 100% accurate about the amount of calories burned, so there's really no point in trying to be 100% accurate with calories eaten. Combine that with the fact that food labels aren't even required to be 100% accurate.

Everything's an estimate.
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way when I first started dieting, but now not so much. When I was on WW I was obssessed with Points and took my over priced calculator wherever I went, especially the grocery store. I would mark the points on the boxes and containers as I threw them into my shopping basket. I think it's just a normal thing to be OCD when you are doing something new because you want to succeed.

I no longer have to weight my food because after a while you get the feel of what a normal portion should be and what is good and not good for you because it will be a habbit. :)
  • cmoutarimoussa
    cmoutarimoussa Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have gotten so bad that I weigh my food now.

Lol me too!!! its so bad!!! i am so obsessed with calories!! You should see me in the grocery store!!!!