Congress pushes back on healthier school lunches

Options

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    So you really just hate the government and want it to go away. Interesting.

Our local schools still have recess. Playground, jungle gym, monkey bars, balls, hopscotch, the whole works. They get 1 period a day, 45 or 50 minutes.
    Yeah. My kid gets three breaks, including a period just before lunch. they have a playground and field to play in.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The sad truth is that a lot of kids - especially the most disadvantaged ones - get a significant proportion of their calories from school lunches (and breakfasts). "Healthy" food does no good if they throw it in the garbage, and lots of studies have shown that kids just won't eat healthier alternatives. For many of these kids, we're talking about whether they get enough calories or not - not about whether they get the right balance of calories. The choice is between malnutrition and actual starvation for the kids most in need.

Of course, it is possible to produce meals that are nutritious and palatable to the kids, but the government simply doesn't give the schools enough money to do that. It's another all-to-common example of government mandating something, but refusing to pay for it. Unless they're willing to increase the subsidy, the schools are doing the best that they can with the money they are given.

I agree, when it comes down to it alot of kids don't want to eat "healthy" foods and will throw it in the trash if it isn't something they like and have tried at home.

To the person who said that children rely on their parents to decide for them: If parents want that much control they can always pack a lunch for their child.

Unfortunately the children are the ones that lose in this scenario.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    So you really just hate the government and want it to go away. Interesting.

Our local schools still have recess. Playground, jungle gym, monkey bars, balls, hopscotch, the whole works. They get 1 period a day, 45 or 50 minutes.

I went to my daughters school where lunch to sit down and eat was only 15 minutes long. When you get through the line your lucky to have 5. It is reccommended to take your time to eat. And recess is being cut back. I have 4 people in my family working in the school system and it's all going to pot. The cut backs in education and the gov. now saying graduating standards are higher. It was on the news a couple of nights ago. I believe the people working in the system and recess is being cut way back. It is known that play is a very important part of education. It's not about wiping out government its about having the red tape cut back so kids can be kids and humanity has a chance to exist on the part of the people.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    And also, this is being looked at from an adult perspective, does anyone even know how many calories children need? I remember the saying that if we could bottle their energy we would be rich. Fattier foods may not affect children quite the same as they do adults. Most of them burn energy like wildfire. I am not a doctor or a nutritionist but i am a mother with three Healthy Grown children that grew up on free or reduced public school lunches.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    I remember when I was a kid weight was not an issue. I think it's not only foods these days but chemicals added to them, not to mention by the way that some red die is made using crushed beetles. And the millions of dollars in waste from the unused swine flu virus shots that had to be destroyed. The government created a panic and they in turn found that (be it maybe the affects were worse) but it affected the usual people. waste I tell ya.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    This is why I pack my daughter's lunch everyday. At least I know what's she's eating. Like most have said, don't leave it to the government to make the right decisions. You are the biggest influence on your child. You don't want them to eat junk, then you pack them lunch. If you don't want to, then you have to roll with what's being offered in school lunches.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    The schools I've been too had choices. There were lines for what sort of food you wanted: salad, pizza, chicken, fruit, etc. But those were middle and high schools so maybe its the elementary schools we're talking about?

And here's an idea how about bringing recess back? Remember slides and jungle gyms?

My daughter attends elementary school and their lunch menu has much better fare than compared to the High School my son attends. He takes a lunch every day, he may buy breakfast once in awhile, but never purchases lunch.

The elementary school does offer a "build your own" options on Thursdays (Build your own chicken salad, build your own taco, etc..) and they are offering fresh fruit versus the canned stuff. So the effort is being made at least in my school district, then again how healthy are these "build your own" items? Is it all just pre-packaged items?

That effort is NOT made at the high school level though (in my area). The high school does not offer a cooking or nutrition class or any type of home ec classes (budget cuts). Although my son already knows how to cook for the most part, he makes dinner a couple times a week and makes a mean salmon & lemon couscous.

The elementary schools here do get recess & lunch break, plus my daughter is in after school program that does emphasize nutrition & exercise (plus homework help). My son is in ROTC so he gets loads of exercise marching and making freshmen do push-ups. HA!
  • fit4mom
    Options
    The sad truth is that a lot of kids - especially the most disadvantaged ones - get a significant proportion of their calories from school lunches (and breakfasts). "Healthy" food does no good if they throw it in the garbage, and lots of studies have shown that kids just won't eat healthier alternatives. For many of these kids, we're talking about whether they get enough calories or not - not about whether they get the right balance of calories. The choice is between malnutrition and actual starvation for the kids most in need.

Of course, it is possible to produce meals that are nutritious and palatable to the kids, but the government simply doesn't give the schools enough money to do that. It's another all-to-common example of government mandating something, but refusing to pay for it. Unless they're willing to increase the subsidy, the schools are doing the best that they can with the money they are given.

I agree, when it comes down to it alot of kids don't want to eat "healthy" foods and will throw it in the trash if it isn't something they like and have tried at home.

To the person who said that children rely on their parents to decide for them: If parents want that much control they can always pack a lunch for their child.

Unfortunately the children are the ones that lose in this scenario.
    Actually the local schools are starting to grow their own gardens. It is a start if nothing else. But nobody wants to join the PTA myself included. They chew you up and spit you out. My daughter went to school where they did a fund raiser and replaced the play equipment that was perfectly fine. Then they gave us a list that was half a page long for school supplies including 5 boxes of sandwich bags (per student) 3 boxes of pencils and 3 boxes of zipblocks. I knew we'd never see any of that stuff so we were really buying for the whole class.
  • lissav
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm from Australia and find this whole debate really interesting.

On the one hand I can see what people are saying that the govt shouldn't responsible for what children put in their mouths. But, the problem is that somewhere along the line your government did take responsibility for it and decide that it would provide food to children in school. So, in my opinion, it is their responsibility, just like any parent, to provide nutritious food.

We are the custodians of our children's bodies. We teach them what and how to eat. They are not political or financial pawns, nor are they guinea pigs. They are not empty sacks that need "stuffing" with whatever fills them up. They are the future of our world and we have a responsibility to teach them how to respect themselves, including their bodies.

And we are setting up a future in the western world where our children are going to have to bear the financial and personal cost of our laziness and apathy as a culture.

In Australia we don't have a lunch programme for kids at school. Never have. Our parents are responsible for what we eat. Some kids take their lunches to school every day. Some buy lunch at the school canteens/tuckshops.

And yes, we've started having child obesity issues here too. Usually in.lower socio-economic areas, but we're starting to see it in other areas. So our governments have started making changes to our canteens here, because we need to do SOMETHING. If parents aren't doing their jobs, then should we say "well it's their responsibility and nobody should tell them what to feed their kids"?

No! Load of rubbish! If they're not giving their kids the correct nutrition, someone DOES need to tell them. Because at the end of the day where do you draw the line? If you feed your kids food that you know will give them a poorer quality of life and maybe even halve their longevity, isn't this bordering on abuse? Grey area, very contentious, and fine if you want to do it to yourself. But don't do it to an innocent child who trusts you and believes you are doing the best for you.

At my children's primary school, the canteen is only open 3 days a week. All of the hot food is home cooked daily. They use a traffic light system for the foods, and the majority of food is green. There are some amber foods. There are no red foods. Every Friday the school provides fresh fruit at morning tea for all children.

If you choose, you can order lunch for your child. Most of the foods are sandwiches (all wholemeal bread or wraps, no white bread), or pasta dishes loaded with veggies, or soup with wholemeal bread, chicken or veggie burgers with salad on wholemeal roll. The bread/rolls/wraps are all localling baked and contain no behaviour-altering preservatives like 282. You can order snacks like fruit, hard boiled eggs, or if your child wants a carb treat, rice crackers or wholewheat crackers with cheese. No flavoured milks, no soft drinks. Plain milk or water on the green list. Or a kids' diluted juice pack (not fruit "drink") on the amber list.

But most kids at the school bring their lunches. The kids all eat together as a class before they go out to play, at both recess and lunch. The teacher sits with them and encourages them to eat their healthy foods before any other trashy snacks they might have been given.

Unfortunately many kids will go home and be fed rubbish too. Frozen pizzas, chicken nuggets, chips, tinned spaghetti. Whatever is quick, easy and cheap. Partly because it's cheaper and easier. Partly because children no longer seem to eat the good food their parents dream of them eating and start to provide - the parents give in too soon and give the kids the msg, sugar and fat-laden foods that they want (and are eventually addicted to) just to keep the peace. Like parents giving their kids nothing but juice or cordial because their kids won't drink water. Children will not starve themselves or dehydrate themselves. If all they have is what you offer, they will take it eventually, and they won't die in the meantime.

Yes, eating healthier can be more expensive than eating the junk. But everyone makes choices. I know parents who complain about the cost of groceries, but they always make sure they have beer, wine, acrylic nails, pay tv, 2 new cars, take away coffee, flat screen tvs, soft drinks... You get me ;)

I make my choices and I choose not to have these other things. And we're happier and healthier for those choices.

One of the debates in Australia at the moment is about the introduction of a "fat tax" like the one Denmark has just introduced. I love the idea, as long as money is channelled to help reduce the cost of healthy foods. But to tax all foods that contain above a certain amount of saturated fat is something I'd like to see happen :) They've taxed alcohol and cigarettes, and fatty junk food is not better than these for our health!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I love when people think the government is telling them something that it isn't. It's super fun. If the money/subsidy is coming from the government, then guess what? They have every right to dictate how it's being spent.

If your problem is with subsidies then fine, but stop acting like this specific issue of school lunches is the nanny state trying to butt in where it doesn't belong because it isn't.

And since we seem to be going down this road, while I don't think that massive regulation on school lunches (on any government level, local or federal) is going to do a damn bit of difference in childhood obesity, I'm also amused when conservatives accuse government attempts at education of being similarly nanny-like. The information put forth by the government may or may not be accurate, and that's worthy of discussion. But arguing that the government should do nothing, including take no effort in educating people, is ridiculous.

"Obesity is a significant problem facing the country, all of us, and we think if people had more information it would help."

*whine* "Stop telling me what I should eat!"

Giving out information != forcing people to do anything with their forks. Apologies for the tangent.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    One of the debates in Australia at the moment is about the introduction of a "fat tax" like the one Denmark has just introduced. I love the idea, as long as money is channelled to help reduce the cost of healthy foods. But to tax all foods that contain above a certain amount of saturated fat is something I'd like to see happen :) They've taxed alcohol and cigarettes, and fatty junk food is not better than these for our health!
    Issuing a tax that targets specific members of the population as a punishment is, in my opinion, unethical -- regardless of whether it's a tax on booze, tobacco or fatty foods. Part of my reasoning is that the gov't should not be responsible for the consequences of those actions either.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm from Australia and find this whole debate really interesting.

On the one hand I can see what people are saying that the govt shouldn't responsible for what children put in their mouths. But, the problem is that somewhere along the line your government did take responsibility for it and decide that it would provide food to children in school. So, in my opinion, it is their responsibility, just like any parent, to provide nutritious food.

We are the custodians of our children's bodies. We teach them what and how to eat. They are not political or financial pawns, nor are they guinea pigs. They are not empty sacks that need "stuffing" with whatever fills them up. They are the future of our world and we have a responsibility to teach them how to respect themselves, including their bodies. Wait, did I forget to mention ACORN who the government defunded until they changed their name and is now being refunded.

And we are setting up a future in the western world where our children are going to have to bear the financial and personal cost of our laziness and apathy as a culture.

In Australia we don't have a lunch programme for kids at school. Never have. Our parents are responsible for what we eat. Some kids take their lunches to school every day. Some buy lunch at the school canteens/tuckshops.

And yes, we've started having child obesity issues here too. Usually in.lower socio-economic areas, but we're starting to see it in other areas. So our governments have started making changes to our canteens here, because we need to do SOMETHING. If parents aren't doing their jobs, then should we say "well it's their responsibility and nobody should tell them what to feed their kids"?

No! Load of rubbish! If they're not giving their kids the correct nutrition, someone DOES need to tell them. Because at the end of the day where do you draw the line? If you feed your kids food that you know will give them a poorer quality of life and maybe even halve their longevity, isn't this bordering on abuse? Grey area, very contentious, and fine if you want to do it to yourself. But don't do it to an innocent child who trusts you and believes you are doing the best for you.

At my children's primary school, the canteen is only open 3 days a week. All of the hot food is home cooked daily. They use a traffic light system for the foods, and the majority of food is green. There are some amber foods. There are no red foods. Every Friday the school provides fresh fruit at morning tea for all children.

If you choose, you can order lunch for your child. Most of the foods are sandwiches (all wholemeal bread or wraps, no white bread), or pasta dishes loaded with veggies, or soup with wholemeal bread, chicken or veggie burgers with salad on wholemeal roll. The bread/rolls/wraps are all localling baked and contain no behaviour-altering preservatives like 282. You can order snacks like fruit, hard boiled eggs, or if your child wants a carb treat, rice crackers or wholewheat crackers with cheese. No flavoured milks, no soft drinks. Plain milk or water on the green list. Or a kids' diluted juice pack (not fruit "drink") on the amber list.

But most kids at the school bring their lunches. The kids all eat together as a class before they go out to play, at both recess and lunch. The teacher sits with them and encourages them to eat their healthy foods before any other trashy snacks they might have been given.

Unfortunately many kids will go home and be fed rubbish too. Frozen pizzas, chicken nuggets, chips, tinned spaghetti. Whatever is quick, easy and cheap. Partly because it's cheaper and easier. Partly because children no longer seem to eat the good food their parents dream of them eating and start to provide - the parents give in too soon and give the kids the msg, sugar and fat-laden foods that they want (and are eventually addicted to) just to keep the peace. Like parents giving their kids nothing but juice or cordial because their kids won't drink water. Children will not starve themselves or dehydrate themselves. If all they have is what you offer, they will take it eventually, and they won't die in the meantime.

Yes, eating healthier can be more expensive than eating the junk. But everyone makes choices. I know parents who complain about the cost of groceries, but they always make sure they have beer, wine, acrylic nails, pay tv, 2 new cars, take away coffee, flat screen tvs, soft drinks... You get me ;)

I make my choices and I choose not to have these other things. And we're happier and healthier for those choices.

The biggest problem with my government is that it is far reaching. It's like a roller coaster with no breaks. They have cut tons of jobs and finances all the will creating new obstacles instead of fixing the problem to begin with. I don't like the corruption of our government. It's not honest and it is all political. It's gonna crumble from the top and the people from the bottom will be softening the blow. School never started out as a place to be controlled by the government but (as usual) that is what it turned into. If it can create finance the government wants it. As for kids I agree with you they are a gift from God. I do not trust the government however with money. They never put it where it should go. They pay people off. Such as planned parenthood a huge backer and supporter of Obama Care. You can't trust them because they are not true to their so called intentions.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Giving out information != forcing people to do anything with their forks.
    I agree -- the gov't can opine all they want. It's when they use regulations and taxation to limit our freedom to choose for ourselves, that I have issue with.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem with my government is that it is far reaching. It's like a roller coaster with no breaks. They have cut tons of jobs and finances all the will creating new obstacles instead of fixing the problem to begin with. I don't like the corruption of our government. It's not honest and it is all political. It's gonna crumble from the top and the people from the bottom will be softening the blow. School never started out as a place to be controlled by the government but (as usual) that is what it turned into. If it can create finance the government wants it. As for kids I agree with you they are a gift from God. I do not trust the government however with money. They never put it where it should go. They pay people off. Such as planned parenthood a huge backer and supporter of Obama Care. You can't trust them because they are not true to their so called intentions.
    You do realize that you're saying the government is too big and powerful - and you're also complaining that they've cut jobs,,, in the same paragraph, right?

Government can be bigger or smaller or it can stay the same size. Pick one.

Gordo - you're free to do whatever you want. Nobody is making you eat the lettuce. I promise.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Giving out information != forcing people to do anything with their forks.
    I agree -- the gov't can opine all they want. It's when they use regulations and taxation to limit our freedom to choose for ourselves, that I have issue with.

Obviously. You've all but trotted out the "taxation is slavery" bumper sticker. Being libertarian is nothing particularly new or interesting. Suffice to say we have differing ideas on the role of government.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Ok, since some of us can't or didn't read - here's the constitutional issue put to rest. The key words here are "federally subsidized meals that are given free or at reduced price to low-income children".

If I hire a band to play my Halloween party, and I want them to play my favorite Foghat song over and over for 3 hours, they kind'a have to do it. I'm paying the piper, I get to call the tune. Literally.

In this case we're talking about federally subsidized meals,,, that means lunches the gov paid for. One side of the government wants the food we buy for poor kids to be healthier, and the other side is fighting for Sysco Inc's right maximize profits by feeding them a diet of fried cheese and empty starch.

No matter what Rush and Glenn say, nobody is trying to take away your G-d given freedom to turn your kid into a beanbag chair with eyes, and Michelle Obama is not trying to dictate what's in your fridge. This is the gov practicing due diligence to make sure that what they support isn't crap.

As a poor kid who grew up on free school lunches I support this - and as a successful adult taxpayer I'm prepared to help pay for it.

For all those saying just pack your kids lunch, I'd like to point this ^ out again.

My daughter doesn't qualify for free/reduced lunch. We have the luxury of choosing to pay for the school lunch or packing her own. She goes to a school where 69% of the students qualify for free/reduced lunch and I'm betting that isn't a viable choice for all of them. I'm not really understanding why trying to get healthier foods into the kids who probably need it the most is such a big deal.
  • mrskrueger
    Options
    Bump
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    ... I'm not really understanding why trying to get healthier foods into the kids who probably need it the most is such a big deal.
    Because they have to do it for $1.85 per person per day, AND make sure the kids will eat it.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    You do realize that you're saying the government is too big and powerful - and you're also complaining that they've cut jobs,,, in the same paragraph, right?
    Government can be bigger or smaller or it can stay the same size. Pick one.
    That's like saying you can eat a handful of MnM's and not gain weight. It depends what's in it. They have cut tons of jobs, keep taxing more and more and put too many mandates on people. There is allot wrong right now. It doesn't take much to cause change. It's not so much the size as that is the problem as the people in it. You can have a sugar loaded candy bar or a big apple and the sugar loaded candy bar would be less healthy. And yet it's smaller but the health affects are not as good for you.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Wow... Um Ok.
This discussion has been closed.