I do DVDs so I don't need to strength train

Options

Replies

• liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Another question, I was looking at Bodybuilding.com and they have programs for women listed on there. Would this be a good place to start? Any suggestions or feedback on where to begin? I have substantial handweights. Light to heavier than I can lift with both hands) at home and a step that i can probably convert to an incline so I would like to try to do this at home. Is this realistic if I follow one of their programs? Thanks for the assist.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Another question, I was looking at Bodybuilding.com and they have programs for women listed on there. Would this be a good place to start? Any suggestions or feedback on where to begin? I have substantial handweights. Light to heavier than I can lift with both hands) at home and a step that i can probably convert to an incline so I would like to try to do this at home. Is this realistic if I follow one of their programs? Thanks for the assist.

I don't really like bb.com but admittedly, I've not been there in a long time. There might be some diamonds in the rough as far as programs go. If you'd like, you can link me to one you're thinking about and I'll take a look at it.

You'd do well reading these:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/resistance-training-foundation-19725

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.html

http://stronglifts.com/madcow/

http://www.ampedtraining.com/articles/ladies-guide-physique-training-part-1

http://www.ampedtraining.com/articles/ladies-guide-physique-training-part-2

http://www.ampedtraining.com/articles/5x5-routines-programming-training-system
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have question I want to ask at the risk of sounding stupid. I still need to lose roughly 30/40 lbs per se. Should I wait until i get a little leaner before I attempt to lift heavy? Or go ahead and incorporate that into my training? For my cardio now, I currently do the dvd's like the JM30DS, Jackie Warner Xtreme Training and walking/Jogging, alternating daily.

Why wait?

Among other things, strength training provides the stimulus that triggers muscle preservation while dieting. If you wait until you lose the fat, you miss out on this very important benefit.

An argument can be made that obese folks don't necessarily have to worry about it. They're a lot less likely to lose substantial muscle (though they will lose substantial lean body mass, since every pound they gain on their way toward obesity is part LBM).

But for most folks, I highly suggest diving into strength training from the get go.

This question was meant for me..I have around 20 more pounds to lose and i want to start strength training...i am confused as to how to train on a deficit....do i eat more on training days or do i just continue with my same calorie deficit and lift heavy?
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have question I want to ask at the risk of sounding stupid. I still need to lose roughly 30/40 lbs per se. Should I wait until i get a little leaner before I attempt to lift heavy? Or go ahead and incorporate that into my training? For my cardio now, I currently do the dvd's like the JM30DS, Jackie Warner Xtreme Training and walking/Jogging, alternating daily.

Why wait?

Among other things, strength training provides the stimulus that triggers muscle preservation while dieting. If you wait until you lose the fat, you miss out on this very important benefit.

An argument can be made that obese folks don't necessarily have to worry about it. They're a lot less likely to lose substantial muscle (though they will lose substantial lean body mass, since every pound they gain on their way toward obesity is part LBM).

But for most folks, I highly suggest diving into strength training from the get go.

This question was meant for me..I have around 20 more pounds to lose and i want to start strength training...i am confused as to how to train on a deficit....do i eat more on training days or do i just continue with my same calorie deficit and lift heavy?

i also have never strengh trained and i am 100% terrified at beginning...i think lean and fit is the best look, but its intimidating to start...i dont know where to begin....i feel like i do every move wrong.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Well you have options.

You can read as much as you can from qualified sources so that you can understand the fundamentals. That way you can create and modify your own, individualized program as needed.

You can follow a pre-written, general program that's proven to be beneficial for people with similar goals as your own. The links I provided above would be a good place to start. You could try out the New Rules of Lifting book, which a lot of people around here seem to like. I'm not a huge fan, but whatever. You could read Mark Rippetoe's Practical Programming and/or Starting Strength books.

You could find a qualified trainer in your area and have him or her show you the ropes in terms of exercise form, programming, etc.

If you don't have that, you could hire an online trainer obtain programming and guidance... I'll even have my clients film themselves doing various movements for assessment purposes.

On and on it goes.

I'm also in the midst of writing an in-home strength training article. If I could ever muster up the motivation to finish it, I think it'd help you quite a bit.

But to answer your other question... you can keep calories static across the week. That way you're not muddying the waters more than you need to. If you find that you need a more cyclical approach, you can adjust accordingly down the road. But remember, you don't need to eat a surplus on the days that you life solely because you're lifting weights.

The goal is to lift weights to help with muscle preservation. It doesn't take much. A handful of exercises can cover the entire body, pretty much. And in theory, you can be in and out in 30 minutes doing something as simple as squats, bench, and rows. Just an example.
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I will read up on everything. Also here is the one program I was looking at earlier through bb.com.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

I appreciate the help sooooo much.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I will read up on everything. Also here is the one program I was looking at earlier through bb.com.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

I appreciate the help sooooo much.

I am not going to read that entire article but a couple of random thoughts based on the exercises and program:

1. The form shown in the first deadlift picture is atrocious. See how the lower back is rounded? Don't do that. Ever.

2. It looks like a basic upper lower split where you train upper body twice and lower body twice, alternating between the two. I actually really like this structure. However, when it comes to dieting and preserving muscle while doing so, I prefer full body training 2-3 times per week.

3. Most of the exercises recommended are great. However, most beginners aren't going to be able to do them. They'll lack the ability due to lacking the strength or lacking the range of motion and/or body awareness. Which is why individualized programming is always best. Anyone can slap some good exercises down on paper. But applying a program safely and effectively to an individual is an entirely different matter.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Bump. I need to find this again later when I have time to read all of it.
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    bump so I can read later.
  • nixon76k
    Options
    bump
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    So much great info. Bumping so I can re-read this as needed.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Thanks, glad you found the thread useful.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    bump
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump! thanks steve for all the good info (and sidesteal for pointing me in this direction)!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    You're welcome! My pleasure really.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I definitely have suboptimal body composition! lol
    I'm bookmarking this thread.
    Thanks!
  • stroutman81