IUDs and Other Birth Control

Options
13»

Replies

• Alycra
    Alycra Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a Paragard, and I love it. LOVE. IT.

It does cause *slightly* heavier periods, but my periods beforehand were so light that it wasn't a problem for me.

I love, love, love not having to worry about bc - not having to remember if I took a pill or not (I'm forgetful that way), not having to deal with the expense of the nuvaring (which I otherwise loved, but insurance wouldn't pay for, which is ridiculous), not having to deal with condoms and the stupidity of having to use those as a married woman. I'd like a little intimacy with my sex, please and thank you!

The insertion is very odd-feeling, but painful isn't the word I'd use. It's not easy to describe, because there's no sensation like it, really, but it's like, three seconds and done.

Until science comes up with a 'switch' for women, so we can turn our fertility on and off at will - this is the best option for me.

I have the Paragard - For almost all the reasons you listed above :P

I have actually had it inserted, removed and another one inserted - due to a medical procedure that had no relation to the IUD.

My periods did get a slight bit heavier, but they got shorter... like 2 days shorter, which was so worth the trade off. :)

I originally got the Paragard right after the birth of my second child. I was breastfeeding so I couldn't/shouldn't use something with hormones. I walked into my 6 week appointment, told my dr what I wanted, and he was happy to oblige. He was impressed that I had done my homework before I went in.

The insertion is slightly painful... more uncomfortable than anything. It took the better part of the day for everything to relax and feel normal again. Maybe that is because preparing for the worst, I spent my day cuddled up on the couch vegging. The second time, well, I don't really remember much as I said above it was removed and inserted due to another medical procedure.

I have loved every moment of not trying (and failing) to remember a pill everyday. Or trying to get into a clinic once every three months for a shot. Or pretending like I am going to stop my husband to remind him to put a condom on.

I know it is not the best option for everybody, but most people with a open discussion with their GYN will be able to determine this before getting as far as insertion.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I take Loesterin 24 FE and have had no problems with weight gain or weight loss.. for the most part its been smooth sailing.

I know pills are quite expensive(mine is 25 bucks a month through the normal pharmacy) but we go through a mail order pharmacy that is backed by our insurance, and now my pills are 30 dollars for a 3 month supply instead of 25 for one month.. so it's something to think about.

I personally could never do an IUD.. I already hate my doc digging around up there.. and could not imagine her trying to put an IUD in.. I'd prob. die from the pain!
    The insertion is uncomfortable, but not painful at all. And it's a pretty quick process.

Might not be for you.. but I can not have her do a pap or feel around up there without gripping the table in pain, and yelling at her to hurry up... Don't know what it is, but it always hurts like 10 times more then I feel like it should...

Has your doctor checked you out for why that's happening? It really shouldn't be painful and if it is, there might be something wrong. Pain during sex is one of the warning signs of some major issues, and a Pap is pretty much the same kind of thing as far as mechanics go and all.

I mean, she hasn't been too worried about it.. and I'm not sexually active at all, so the only time it happens is during the pap.. but I also have a low pain tolerance, so that may be playing an issue. I told her last time it hurt a lot, and she used a smaller speculum, but it still hurt.

I would have her check it out more extensively, but I'd really rather she got in and out as fast as possible.

I'm REALLY surprised she isn't more concerned. I think the tests required to diagnose a possible issue are not quite so invasive (ultrasounds, etc.). I really recommend you do a Google search about pain during intercourse and what it could mean. Even though you're not having sex, it's pretty much the same warning sign. A doctor should be more concerned.

How can you even compare sex to a gynecologist visit? While I don't grip the table in pain, I won't lie and say they're a walk in the park, either. They're more than uncomfortable for some women. Personally, I hate them, and they ARE painful for me, to the point that I've screamed out and had to yell at them to stop and they've had to switch what they were using to better accommodate. However, my boyfriend and I are just fine, if you get my drift. No pain, unless, ya know, it's been a while, and even then it's nowhere near the pain of an exam. Different factors come into play, too, like lubrication and how comfortable the person is being examined, etc. You can't ram something up there and assume it's going to feel the same as having sex with a man.

I'm comparing the act of sticking a speculum up the hoo-ha to having a penis in the same place. Neither should be so painful that you're gripping the table and gritting your teeth. Pain from something like that is a sign of a possible (usually treatable) medical condition. And if not, then perhaps you have a very rough doctor.

Obviously they're very different things, but the mechanics are the same. I've had several different gynos and they all use lubrication before inserting anything. That shouldn't even be an issue.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I take Loesterin 24 FE and have had no problems with weight gain or weight loss.. for the most part its been smooth sailing.

I know pills are quite expensive(mine is 25 bucks a month through the normal pharmacy) but we go through a mail order pharmacy that is backed by our insurance, and now my pills are 30 dollars for a 3 month supply instead of 25 for one month.. so it's something to think about.

I personally could never do an IUD.. I already hate my doc digging around up there.. and could not imagine her trying to put an IUD in.. I'd prob. die from the pain!
    The insertion is uncomfortable, but not painful at all. And it's a pretty quick process.

Might not be for you.. but I can not have her do a pap or feel around up there without gripping the table in pain, and yelling at her to hurry up... Don't know what it is, but it always hurts like 10 times more then I feel like it should...

Has your doctor checked you out for why that's happening? It really shouldn't be painful and if it is, there might be something wrong. Pain during sex is one of the warning signs of some major issues, and a Pap is pretty much the same kind of thing as far as mechanics go and all.

I mean, she hasn't been too worried about it.. and I'm not sexually active at all, so the only time it happens is during the pap.. but I also have a low pain tolerance, so that may be playing an issue. I told her last time it hurt a lot, and she used a smaller speculum, but it still hurt.

I would have her check it out more extensively, but I'd really rather she got in and out as fast as possible.

I'm REALLY surprised she isn't more concerned. I think the tests required to diagnose a possible issue are not quite so invasive (ultrasounds, etc.). I really recommend you do a Google search about pain during intercourse and what it could mean. Even though you're not having sex, it's pretty much the same warning sign. A doctor should be more concerned.

How can you even compare sex to a gynecologist visit? While I don't grip the table in pain, I won't lie and say they're a walk in the park, either. They're more than uncomfortable for some women. Personally, I hate them, and they ARE painful for me, to the point that I've screamed out and had to yell at them to stop and they've had to switch what they were using to better accommodate. However, my boyfriend and I are just fine, if you get my drift. No pain, unless, ya know, it's been a while, and even then it's nowhere near the pain of an exam. Different factors come into play, too, like lubrication and how comfortable the person is being examined, etc. You can't ram something up there and assume it's going to feel the same as having sex with a man.

I'm comparing the act of sticking a speculum up the hoo-ha to having a penis in the same place. Neither should be so painful that you're gripping the table and gritting your teeth. Pain from something like that is a sign of a possible (usually treatable) medical condition. And if not, then perhaps you have a very rough doctor.

Obviously they're very different things, but the mechanics are the same. I've had several different gynos and they all use lubrication before inserting anything. That shouldn't even be an issue.

A penis and a speculum don't feel the same in any way. That's like saying shoving a huge bite of warm food into my mouth should feel the same as shoving a giant ice cube in my mouth.

You're assuming that because it isn't painful for YOU, that it shouldn't be painful for ANYONE. I personally don't know anyone who says they aren't a little painful...pretty sure we aren't all suffering from a medical condition. And sure, they use lube, but that doesn't take away pain, just makes it easier to insert for them.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you're gripping the table in a severe amount of pain from having a smooth piece of plastic or metal inserted gently, with lube, then there is something wrong.

You can argue all you want about it, but that should not be painful.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    If you're gripping the table in a severe amount of pain from having a smooth piece of plastic or metal inserted gently, with lube, then there is something wrong.

You can argue all you want about it, but that should not be painful.

I forgot, your pain threshold and opinion of a gynecologist visit reign supreme on how all women should feel. My bad!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I have a Paragard, and I love it. LOVE. IT.

It does cause *slightly* heavier periods, but my periods beforehand were so light that it wasn't a problem for me.

I love, love, love not having to worry about bc - not having to remember if I took a pill or not (I'm forgetful that way), not having to deal with the expense of the nuvaring (which I otherwise loved, but insurance wouldn't pay for, which is ridiculous), not having to deal with condoms and the stupidity of having to use those as a married woman. I'd like a little intimacy with my sex, please and thank you!

The insertion is very odd-feeling, but painful isn't the word I'd use. It's not easy to describe, because there's no sensation like it, really, but it's like, three seconds and done.

Until science comes up with a 'switch' for women, so we can turn our fertility on and off at will - this is the best option for me.

if you have your doctor bill it to insurance as 'hormone therapy' instead of just birth control, they'll be a lot more likely to cover it for you!

I don't know of many doctors who are willing to commit insurance fraud...
    its not insurance fraud. way to be a debbie downer. birth control does regulate hormones and a lot of women take the pill/nuvaring/etc for reasons other than to explicitly prevent pregnancy. its a totally legitimate use of the prescription. that's the reason i use my nuvaring and i'm not even sexually active. so sorry to knock you off your horsey.

Yeah...a good friend of mine was on it to regulate her period, and she was a virgin. I believe my cousin was put on it for a similar reason when she was only a teenager.

If the purpose for the pills are to prevent pregnancy, and you ask your doctor to change it to hormone therapy, then, yes, you are committing insurance fraud. It is deceiving the insurance company, knowing that you will receive monetary gain (ie. Not paying for pills) for doing so. If the insurance companies make the distinction between covering hormone therapy, and not birth control, people do not have the legal right to change the name of what they are getting in order to receive coverage. And the doctor could land in some serious trouble for mishandling his authority.