• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Someone wants to go there don't they?

denial-fat-denial-demotivational-poster-1269367409.jpg
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    ANYWHO. As a person who occasionally plays League of Legends with a gamer boyfriend who is also losing weight, I can say that not ALL gamers are possessed by games. Once he cares enough, other things will become more important. I game, but I also get so caught up in schoolwork and life that I don't get much time to game AND don't focus on my eating much. My boyfriend games all the time, and he likes to workout, but he does get lazy from time to time and has to be reminded about what IS healthy and what isn't. He's a foodie, like me, and we love food. It's true. But I'm better at self control lol. It's just a matter of when enough will be enough, or even if it WILL be enough. Some people are okay with themselves, and others simply dont get any sort of message that it's time. So OP, I hope you don't worry too much. My sister eats like crap and she's tiny, but I still freak out on her for never eating properly. Or excercising. Or etc. etc. etc.. It all adds up on the inside, even if it doesn't on the outside. Hopefully he comes to a point where he will do something for himself. Like you said, he DOES care. Even if it's just a little. :)
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I have friends and family just like your brother... heck, I was just like your brother! I used to have some of the most interesting reasons to STAY fat... "You've never seen a fat person with osteoporosis have you?" "Skinny girls are bony girls" and the list goes on:smile: . Of course NOW I see the difference. I am a smoker though and get all the smack talk from those around me about how it's killing me, etc. And you know who is the most determined to tell me this stuff... the reformed smokers. I have tried and failed in the past to quit and I am quite sure that I will suceed when I am ready, just as I am suceeding now in my quest for weight loss. But 'reformed fatties' are just as bad... I could tell many people in my life HOW to get skinny and why they need to, but it isn't going to come off as anything but pompous (sp) because quite frankly the truth hurts. I get what the young lady is saying about 'minding your business' in the respect that NO ONE sees it until they open their eyes. It is sad but true. I think your best option, as others have said, is to lead by example... not that you do these things... but no belittling, or bullying is going to work. Big, small, short or tall, white, black, purple, we do all deserve to be loved for who we are and I am sure that you do love your brother or you wouldn't have cared ENOUGH to say how you felt or post it. I hope that for his sake he does eventually come around... until then, his choices are just that HIS choices:smile: .
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    tumblr_luqh8jqoRo1r4uh7ko1_400.gif
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I started my weight-loss almost immediately after I ended my own WoW-addiction (yes, there are many people that can play the game casually. I was not one of those casual people.).

let me rephrase that:

*I* started my weight-loss immediately after *I* ended my own WoW addiction.

No one can dedicate themselves to changing their entire way of life except, well, themselves. It's great that you're trying to be healthier and happier, but you're not him and you can't make those decisions for him, and you certainly can't undertake a total shift in lifestyle for him. If it ever happens for him, it will be because he wants it and he commits himself to it. If that day comes and you're there to provide support, kudos to you. Until then...get off your high horse and concentrate on your own goals.

If I had someone constantly telling me how I was fat and wasting my life, I can't imagine I'd ever have wanted to leave the imaginary (but accepting) virtual world.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Man. Cheetos sound good. Haven't had any for so long.
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    I started my weight-loss almost immediately after I ended my own WoW-addiction (yes, there are many people that can play the game casually. I was not one of those casual people.).

let me rephrase that:

*I* started my weight-loss immediately after *I* ended my own WoW addiction.

No one can dedicate themselves to changing their entire way of life except, well, themselves. It's great that you're trying to be healthier and happier, but you're not him and you can't make those decisions for him, and you certainly can't undertake a total shift in lifestyle for him. If it ever happens for him, it will be because he wants it and he commits himself to it. If that day comes and you're there to provide support, kudos to you. Until then...get off your high horse and concentrate on your own goals.

If I had someone constantly telling me how I was fat and wasting my life, I can't imagine I'd ever have wanted to leave the imaginary (but accepting) virtual world.

Agreed.

I'm assuming she's not constantly fat shaming him though. She pointed out that she chose not to push the matter, so kudos to her for that.
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    Man. Cheetos sound good. Haven't had any for so long.

I could definitely go for some of those natural white cheddar cheetos.

cheetos2.img_assist_custom.JPG
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Ume, I love you, but now you're just being flat out antagonistic. We get it, okay? But she's not making fun of her brother for being obese. :/
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I googled "fat shaming" just because I think it's a funny expression and got this (even funnier) link.

http://www.xojane.com/fun/how-do-you-put-a-cat-on-a-diet
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    I googled "fat shaming" just because I think it's a funny expression and got this (even funnier) link.

http://www.xojane.com/fun/how-do-you-put-a-cat-on-a-diet

That is one adorable fat cat.
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    Ume, I love you, but now you're just being flat out antagonistic. We get it, okay? But she's not making fun of her brother for being obese. :/

The majority of my posts have had approximately nothing to do with OP.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options

And turned the thread into something else entirely. >.<
  • Jeff92se
    Options

BS. You made it about yourself and the OP.
  • Umeboshi
    Options

Pretty sure the people who started trying to discount my points by personally attacking me did that far before I derailed what little was left of this thread.
  • Umeboshi
    Options

Who started asking about my urine again?
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Who started asking about my urine again?

Who is being troll again?

I started out by stating if people are fat but have good blood/urine/phsyical shape, then so be it. Nothing anyone can say about it.

Then you started in with the rants and making it about YOURSELF. So I asked if YOUR numbers were good, then you can have that stance. If you numbers are BAD or if you DON'T KNOW your numbers, you ain't got jack to say. Plain and simple. Sorry to be direct but you're acting like a blame diverting troll.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options

Pretty sure the people who started trying to discount my points by personally attacking me did that far before I derailed what little was left of this thread.

I'm not saying it's YOUR fault. I'm saying that everyone not referring to the original post is doing the same thing (including me right now).
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ignoring all the middle-thread arguments: one of the things that did contribute to my own "wake up" moment were my awesome husband and amazing kids. I wanted to make myself better as a person, partially to contribute more and set a better example for them.

Maybe the OP could gently show her brother there are other things in life? Get him out of the house without making it weight-loss oriented, get him to visit a park with nice (and gentle) walking trails and chitchat about other things, or even go out to the movies once every other week (and don't park as close as you can to the theatre, lol). Spend time with him as a person, give him a support instead of judgement, maybe even get him to play an offline 2player game with you. Challenge him to chess! Work on your relationship, not his girth.

Maybe he will realize in his own time that there are people who love him and value him, and worry about him, and just maybe it will inspire him to live a longer, healthier life.