Fads that you hope die before your kids are old enough to pa

Options

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    My piercings and tattoos have never hindered me from getting a job.

Ditto.

I don't know if it counts as a Fad, but I hope Tw*l*ght freaking dies and no one ever remembers that it existed.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I really don't care what people wear... whatever. Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't want my kids showing a ton of skin, but other than that, whatever.

What I would like to see lose some influence by the time I have kids is the dreaded FACEBOOK... unfortunately I don't think it's a fad though... so I doubt it's going anywhere.

My reasoning: There have been recent studies done that show evidence that kids/teens process the world and their experiences VERY differently than all other generations of kids, and likely this is because of social media... they feel the need to create their own "brand" of self on the internet, and every event or experience is viewed in terms of "what will I post about this later? what pictures will make me look cool? how many people 'liked' my picture/comment/post? what does that reflect about me?"

It's an EXTREMELY image-conscious mentality-- likely more-so than any previous generation. I am afraid of the effect this will have on their egos, their self-image, and their interpersonal relationships as they grow up...
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My husband gets annoyed sometimes with my oldest son's desire to grow the front of his hair long, wear fitted (but not ball-crushing) jeans and plastic bangle bracelets, and listen to MCR.

Me - I don't care, and I remind my husband often that our own parents were pretty disgusted by us, and the entire grunge movement, back in the 90s.

Every generation is mocked by the preceeding one, and yet we all end up the same middle-aged people stressing over insurance deductables and making our Black Friday lists (so to speak).

That said....tattoos of internet memes. Seriously? That's personally meaningful? shrug...It's their own skin, I guess.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Pop Music, reality shows, hip hop, saggy jeans, big *kitten* loopy ear piercing thing in the ear, tattoos in general (everyones got em now) Harley Davidsons, Awarness campaigns, and political correctness.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I have ear piercings (lobes + one other) and I can cover it with my hair.

Fads I hope pass before my kids are old enough (....and considering I don't have kids, this will be in a few decades! HA) ... UGGS. I think they will forever be mocked by future generations.

love you. Uggs, like Crocs are instruments of the debil & NO ONE looks good in either.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    The trend I hate the most: girls acting like they have an IQ of 25 because it's "cute"
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am not a big fan of crocks... Although they do look cute on kids.

This!

and reality TV shows.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I like piercings.

I think uggs and sweatpants need to GO. like...last year.

"but they're expensive shoes and sweatpants!"
    woman I dont care you look like *kitten*

haha...agreed. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it looks good. And personally...I would pay a fortune to look like ****. I'd rather do that while being cheap. haha
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i hate low rise jeans with a passion. no one wants to see someones butt crack while sitting in a restaurant. if you can't sit down without your butt showing, then wear a different pair of jeans!!!!!

Also, crocks are disgusting. why does anyone want to wear rubber shoes? i just don't get that. I hate them even on kids.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    All this new tech. with the cell phones, vehicles, etc. The other day I saw a ford comercial of a vehicle that parks itself...Really?:indifferent:

Everything is soo virtual now, Facebook, etc and TV has taken a turn for the worst.

...Ah, I missed the more simpilar times like from 1990-2008

Ah Technology! I wish it would stop changing!! I dread the day when i have to buy a new phone..I like my little basic flip phones...they almost dont exist anymore! I have to look super hard to find something that's flip now days.

Seriously...technology just needs to stop moving for 100 years or something. lol
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Maybe so but there are lot's of careers where exposed tattoos and piercings are frowned upon. IJS

Not just frowned upon, but outright prohibited
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    low carb diets

You wouldn't say that if you were insulin resistant and that was the food lifestyle that worked for you!
  • 2live4ever79
    Options
    tattoo lips on your neck ... guess you will have to wear a turtle neck for the rest of your life or keep working behind closed doors.. OMG ..
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    piercings can be removed...now neck tattoos? not so much :)

tumblr_l82lwfwrtJ1qd997jo1_400.jpg

This dude's earlobes will NEVER be the same..
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    My piercings and tattoos have never hindered me from getting a job.

mine either, and I'm covered...I work in an office but you can't see anything but my dermal punch on my chest and my 0 gauge lobes...my wrist tattoo, my other piercings in my ears sans lobes, my nose ring...sometimes the tattoo on my foot..wait a minute. they did hire me no matter how freaky i look. Competence equals deviance, and I'm very competent at what I do so my boss lets me get away with a little more. No I don't flaunt my huge back piece, and I always wear a cardi...but I'm flirting with deviance not destroying my career. There are socially acceptable placements of tattoos, and then there are prison tattoos. There are tastefully done piercings, and then there are "I hate my mother and I'm failing english 30" piercings. Stay classy people and you won't have a problem finding any job.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Uggs have been around for FAR too long. I didn't like them when they were new and trendy, I don't understand how they've hung around for more than 10 years in American "fashion," and I haven't gotten anymore comfortable with their existence.

Crocs.

"Nerdy" glasses, particularly on people who dont even wear Rx eyewear to begin with. Zooey Deschanel is doing it on a mainstream network sitcom. That should be a HINT that it's no longer unique, clever, cool, or interesting.
  • Salamanda425
    Options
    1. Jeggings. You're not fooling anyone.

2. Skinny Jeans => negative sperm count ==> hopefully means these people won't breed.

3. People that wear their pants so low that we see all their boxers. Why do they even wear belts?

4. #2 and #3 at the same time = please kill yourself.

Agreed! Particularly to number 4!!!
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Skinny jeans (unless if you're a cowboy)

most cowboys do not wear skinny jeans, they wear SUPER tight boot cuts.... because you can't fit a cowboy boot inside a skinny jean pant leg. :wink:

Sagging jeans - Seriously, if I wanted to see your underwear, I would have went with you when you bought them.
    Ultra low jeans - I'm not dating/married to you, I do not need to see your butt and/or thong... neither do my children.
    Pants with wording on the butt - It's semi-okay on kids/teens (depending on the wording), but if you have any kids/teens it should be outlawed. Saw a woman with a newborn at the store the other day and not only did it have some stupid thing like "awesome" on her butt, the pants were also stained around the wording and down one of the pant legs like she washed/dried them with a pen.

Reality TV can go. There's NOTHING real about it. Real Housewives of *wherever* You're not a housewife if you have a maid or a nanny.
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Uggs have been around for FAR too long. I didn't like them when they were new and trendy, I don't understand how they've hung around for more than 10 years in American "fashion," and I haven't gotten anymore comfortable with their existence.

Crocs.

"Nerdy" glasses, particularly on people who dont even wear Rx eyewear to begin with. Zooey Deschanel is doing it on a mainstream network sitcom. That should be a HINT that it's no longer unique, clever, cool, or interesting.

YES! Please stop frequenting my bars, ordering glasses of pinot grigiot and spouting out foucault and sartre in casual conversation. The jeans are NOT ironic, you living in the ghetto did NOT help the area by you renting there--it actually just kicked out the poor people. They call it displacement. Ugh.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    piercings can be removed...now neck tattoos? not so much :)

tumblr_l82lwfwrtJ1qd997jo1_400.jpg

This dude's earlobes will NEVER be the same..

Actually.. they can be. A friend of mine just recently had cosmetic surgery to correct his overly stretched lobes and you would never ever know he had stretched lobes before.