When someone asks how much weight you have lost...

Options
1235»

Replies

• ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    "Wow you look really fat, how much weight have you put on?" <--- Rude

"Wow you look really great, how much weight did you lose?" <--- Not rude

Losing weight is an achievement, one that a lot of people aspire to, I totally fail to see how the question can be construed as rude.
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    "Wow you look really fat, how much weight have you put on?" <--- Rude

"Wow you look really great, how much weight did you lose?" <--- Not rude

Losing weight is an achievement, one that a lot of people aspire to, I totally fail to see how the question can be construed as rude.

(I guess it would be best to reply before hitting reply...)

Perhaps the best reply would have been "Apparently enough to make people notice." I think i've replied "Well, I've been working on it." before. I agree, he doesn't need to know numbers. The fact that he keeps asking others? Creepy busy body..

What I found REALLY rude was, after I completely bombed and started gaining after losing 30 pounds before was "What size are you now? Because I've lost weight because of the divorce and all, so I have some pants you might fit into...."

B**ch
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think it's rude. I get asked it a lot. People are weird, though. My sister gets asked how long her hair is all the time, and are genuinely shocked when she replies she's never measured it, and you can SEE how long it is.

When my hair is down and straightened? I actually have people ask me if it is real. I'm like "Are you serious? Of course it's real!". I realize that people get hair extensions and all that jazz, but really? I would never ask someone "is your hair real?" it's just a weird and off the wall question. (BTW, you can tell it is real and NOT extensions as it matches up perfectly, doesn't have the telltale signs of being extensions, etc. You can just look at it and KNOW it is real!)
  • mshidden
    mshidden Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well good job on losing 14 lbs. You could have said join fitness pal and you can find out there? no!
    I agree many women feel this way, but your looking for justification for being rude then clearly you already have figured out that perhaps you were being rude. Their are nice ways of saying " I am sorry only share this with fitness pal members"
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    That's funny! Fteale, you should start a thread/poll. LOL I think everyone I know is happy to hear "have you lost weight?" Or "you look like you've lost weight!" etc. Without question.

When you get a new haircut and someone compliments it, do you take it as meaning that they thought your hair was ugly before? Is it rude to compliment a new style?
    Technically yes, it is rude.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I think you're reply was rude. I mean you obviously have the right to be as uptight as you want to. He did not ask how much you weigh, he asked how much weight you lost. A big difference. A compliment even.

this is what i was going to say. i think some people are naturally more curious.